Start by marking “Confessioni di un codardo” as Want to Read:
Confessioni di un codardo

Confessioni di un codardo

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,812 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Due coniugi frustrati e squattrinati osservano il proprio fallimento in uno squallido alloggio; un patito dell'ippica trova la puntata vincente per una procace sconosciuta; un "duro" dei bassifondi liquida in un bar un magnaccia venuto a vendicare un torto fatto alle sue protette... Una raccolta di 12 racconti che ripropongono le situazioni più tipiche della narrativa di B ...more
Paperback, Narratori della Fenice, 137 pages
Published 2006 by Guanda (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Confessioni di un codardo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessioni di un codardo

Christian McKay
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liken reading a good Bukowski poem to getting hit in the mouth by your best friend.

It hurts.

You feel raw about it for a while.

But then you feel pretty good.

Because it's done.

Things are out in the open.

And you survived.
James Curtin
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i used to drink alot and smoke crack. once was hanging out with some young girl in west philly and she saw this book in my backpack. nef was her name i think. near 51st and master. i told her it wasn't a book of love poems. she wanted it anyway. i gave it to her and often think of crackheads in west philly reading this.
Davis
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of poetry, anyone who liked the beats, anyone wanting to get into Bukowski
Recommended to Davis by: Brandon Daley
Wow. I am writing this about 30 seconds after finishing the last poem on the last page of 'Betting On The Muse'. I had no idea that a book published after his death, composed of random unpublished poetry and short stories could be so powerful. This book is truly moving, it grasped me from the very start.

Fans of Bukowski novels will rejoice in the short story involving our favorite drunkard, Chinaski. Many of the other stories and poems come more from Bukowski's alter-ego then himself. The book a
Ed Smith
a fellow worker at the library read it. So I started to read it and
got addicted to Bukowski's poems. Some are funny, some suck, and
you could not make up the race track, drinks, women and crazy men
who fight with Buk.

I think his style is his style. Not Williams or Ginsberg but definitely Charles Bukowski writing becomes infecting. After I read him I want to
write a million poems. He gets to the point, rough & ready to do
battle with the poetry gods and he does.
Belinda
This Bukowski is a mix of short (very short) stories and poems--reading them I would assume a mix of older material and material from shortly from before Hank passed away. The poems he writes on his Mac are so quaint--as if he is talking to the machine as well as using it--reveling in it's "trash can" and it's newness when compared to his oldness. He writes often about the track (adding that odd poetic quality to something filthy and very unpoetic) and often writes of his "6 cats" (this charms m ...more
Jess
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I love Bukowski, because sometimes, though rarely, when you're up to your eyeballs in misery, hopelessness, and the horse shit of life, he'll reveal suddenly a glimmer, a short line of poetry of something he finds beautiful in the world. However, this collection had a few that turned my stomach and turned me away from Bukowski for a week or so.
Tjibbe Wubbels
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, poetry
Fantastic as always. Some of my favourite lines:

with agony stuffed in my
pockets

was nothing
to do.
Kacey
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"this place, this time, now
I vow to the sun
that I will laugh the good laugh once again
in the perfect place of me
forever."

Bukowski's poetry never gets old. He continues to be my favorite poet.
Jake
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is a little different for Bukowski. A little less angry, more at peace with his old age. Still better than most anyone, but not my very favorite Buk.
Paul
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
If you've read any Bukowski before you'll know the story of his life, lived out in all his writings, from drunken, gambling, addled, street fighter in and out of jail, in and out of bed with various women to drunken, addled, middle age where the eventual success of his writing bought him a less hand-to-mouth existence, but essentially his passions remained the same. This 400 page book of poetry and short stories was published post-humously but doesn't at all feel like is the leftovers being chur ...more
Tom Steele
Oct 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first collection of both poetry and short stories that I've read by Bukowski and probably one of his more consistent works. The short stories are all amusing and the poetry is pretty good as well. There is a lot of fluctuation with the quality of the poems, however, with some of them being examples of his best work and some being forgettable to outright bad.

The end of this collection features Bukowski's meditations on his inevitable death. This section alone makes the collection w
Philip Bergstresser
The illusion is that you are simply
Reading this poem
The reality is that this is
More than a
Poem.
This is a beggar's knife.
This is a tulip.
This is a soldier marching
Through Madrid.
This is you on your
Death bed.
This is Li Po laughing
Underground.
This is not a god-damned
Poem.
This is a horse asleep.
A butterfly in
Your brain.
This is the devil's
Circus.
You are not reading this
On a page.

This is not a poem.
Poems are dull.
Waylon
Nov 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I freely admit that poetry in general has never appealed to me as much as it does many other avid readers. There are some poems I've come across over the years that I truly love, but I just don't get in the "poetry mood" very often. I decided to give a Bukowski collection a shot because he has been so often recommended to me, and I am glad I did. Bukowski has a straight-to-the-point, no-bullshit style that appeals to me. There isn't the slightest hint of pretension. Some of these poems are prett ...more
Kees-Jan van Engelenburg
The Laughing Heart

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.”

No comme
Mark Bruce
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Bukowski liked to write a lot about going to the racetrack. Many of these poems carry the tediousness of a daily jaunt to the track; some are incandescent.

Of course, there's the usual mix of other subjects dear to Buk's heart: Sex, booze, poetry, and more booze. Only Buk could make the dull life of a drunkard seem romantic.
Evan
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: more_than_once
Excellent collection focusing more on old age and death. Not as much of the hilariously vulgar stuff like in LOVE IS A DOG FROM HELL. there are some GREAT poems in here. A good book to start with if new to Bukowski, though maybe not the BEST one to start with since it packs more of a punch to read about Bukowski's ideas of death after reading HAM ON RYE and some of the poetry from the 60s.
Real Supergirl
Jun 01, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Not his best volume, and there a a lot to choose from. I recommend Love is a Dog from Hell as part of anyone's collection of poetry. This one, however, is decent. It has a couple of Bukowski's excellent, witty, and insightful poems.
Brian Pappas
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of his better books of poetry with a few great short stories thrown in.
vi macdonald
More drunken ravings and rantings from everyone-except-me's favourite douchebag.
Justin Sims
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drunkards and poets alike
drunk genius.
James Ford
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book from a Barnes and Noble bookshelf twenty years ago. I admit, I didn't know Bukowski from baked beans.
The very first poem, 'splash', blew me away. I bought the book, and became enamored of the imagery and simplicity in which Bukowski wrote.
My style of writing, at the time, was, very similar.
Bukowski, like some other contemporary poets, have had a great impact on my own style of writing.
At the reading, signing of my first book, Numbers and Days, I started my reading with 'spl
Tim Ghillemyn
Een combinatie van gedichten en kortverhalen. Uiteraard binnen dezelfde paar thema's die Bukowski steeds weer hanteert. Maar als fan kan je je hierin met plezier verdiepen. Ik las onlangs de biografie "Locked in the arms of a crazy life", een prima leidraad voor bij al zijn werk. In dat opzicht bekijk je de gedichten, zeker over zijn ziekte , net iets anders.
Jimmy Melnarik
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate poetry.
Sublime musings on death, wine, horse races, women, loneliness, and poetry. There's something to poems about a curmudgeon at the tracks who's avoiding a woman at home that just feels true... in the way good fictions can be true. Stories about bar fights, aging movie stars, and other Angelino cast-offs feel like sweaty pulp paperbacks, with a nihilism and a sadness just beneath the ink.
Efi Zeibeki
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-libraries
I don't know who brought this book to the library but I thank them. It's like Bukowski's spirit never died. He talks to the reader, he's there and as long as we read him he'll stay there, living through the pages.
Harry
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ending was heartbreaking.
Dina
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Oh, I was once young
Oh, I was once unbelievably
young"
Vic
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wild, beautiful, heartbreaking and life affirming.
Lazyproduction
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amavo Charles Bukowski. Mi ha piacevolmente tenuto compagnia per tutta la mia adolescenza. Da più di vent'anni non prendevo in mano un suo libro avendo ormai letto ogni scritto in circolazione e da altrettanto tempo non prestavo attenzione alle eventuali nuove pubblicazioni. Nell'ultimo anno la mia vita ha preso davvero una strana piega e sono stato costretto a rimettere in ordine tutte le mie certezze. Tra revisioni e consolidamenti ho scoperto di avere una vera avversione per le dinamiche soci ...more
Dane Cobain
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Betting on the Muse sees Charles Bukowski return from the dead with a collection of poems and stories which he left behind to be published after his death – it’s good to know that the great writer planned ahead and left instructions about what was to be done with his work after his inevitable demise. In many ways, it’s a miracle that he lived as long as he did, what with the booze and the women and the horses.

Bukowski is famed for his unique voice and for his alcoholic lifestyle, and both of the
Hana
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
no win

to live in a jungle
where each face is a face of
horror,
win
beauty contests.
to live in a place
where being alone
is always better than being
with someone.
  • AnOther E.E. Cummings
  • Where Water Comes Together with Other Water: Poems
  • The Scripture of the Golden Eternity
  • Selected Poems 1934-1952, New Revised Edition
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...
“The Laughing Heart

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.”
633 likes
“I
think that the
world should be full of cats and full of rain, that's all, just
cats and
rain, rain and cats, very nice, good
night.”