Start by marking “Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)” as Want to Read:
Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)

Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,216 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The long-awaited finale of Z.A. Recht’s “action-packed zombie extravaganza” (Ryan C. Thomas) that began with the acclaimed novels Plague of the Dead and Thunder and Ashes. . . .

THE MORNINGSTAR STRAIN WAS THE END OF THE WORLD.
In the wake of the zombie apocalypse, two separate bands of survivors journey across a decimated America, each with the desperate goal of finding the
Published June 19th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Survivors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Survivors

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,172 books — 2,733 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,486 books — 4,085 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary K
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mary K by: Neil Sinclair
The author of the first two in this tremendous series, Z.A. Recht, unfortunately passed away before this was released - but not without a good chunk already penned. You can definitely tell when it's him writing and when it was haphazardly filled in by Thom Brannan. Sadly, Thom's writing falls short and just about ruins the final book. The most telling is he tends to make relationships and conversations seem very artificial, killing off characters without a thought - while simultaneously making t ...more
Jamie
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the series, at least up until this book. While the book was not bad, it was definitely lacking. I suppose that is because this book was not finished be the original author, as he had passed away.
So, as for the book itself, we have many of the survivors (I will not give names so as not to spoil earlier books) in the Omaha Fac, trying to establish a more normal lifestyle and looking for a cure. We have the sailors from the Rammage desperately trying to follow the trek across the
Tegan
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I want to throw the book againts the wall.....what the hell? And whats with the two that turned without being bitten or exposed???? Oh....and the end? It was like the author went...."Screw it....kill this person, that person and these guys....and end the book." No more story about Keaton....just BOOM he's here now....in fact from chapter 11 to the end the author should be ashamed of himself. So disjointed...had to go back and re-read parts several times to try to figure out what was going on. It ...more
Alexandra
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A few spoilers here and there, but you'll still have to read the books to actually get the story. I wrote about the entire saga as I felt it was easier to review them all in one.

First of all, I have a ton of respect for author Zachary Recht whom I consider a versatile person. I enjoyed all three of his books, even though the last one was finished by Thom Brannan due to the death of Recht in 2009.

The Morningstar Saga follows the zombie apocalypse from a military point of view. The first book, P
Justin
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Thee_ron_clark
This is the third novel in Recht's Morningstar series. It is unfortunate that the author passed away after the second in this series and fortunate that the third was able to be published. I had to self-refresh a bit while reading because it has been some time since I finished the first two novels in the series. I get this at times. I suppose not all authors realize that readers do not necessarily retain all details of their previous works and that a little background detail is nice. It also help ...more
Holden Attradies
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, zombie
I really am torn on this. The writing was just so far bellow the previous two, and I'm not sure if I feel that way simply because Thom Brannan's style was different or if it really was bad. Really not knowing how much of the book he is specifically responsible for I don't know what and how much to blame him for. Regardless, I just didn't enjoy it very much and had a VERY hard time finishing it. I listened to it on audio book and found my self listening to ten or twenty minutes and just stopping ...more
Dawn Peers
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"An ending that did not disappoint"

Although it couldn't be finished by Recht himself, as the author sadly passed away before the third novel was finished. I'm also hoping that someone gets in touch with Amazon to re-word the now quite tasteless product description. But hey-ho, back to the novel...

The ghost writer that assisted with finishing the novel Survivors and the final installment of the Morningstar Strain did not disappoint.

I do not like to litter my reviews with spoilers, so you will jus
Paul G
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having had to wait seemingly FOREVER for the final book of this trilogy to be released, I wish the wait had been longer.

The story itself was good but NOT in the same vein as Z's previous works.

The trilogy was wrapped up well. But the ending felt forced and rushed....."kill 60% of the characters that we've been with through the previous books with no fanfair at ALL....and just send the rest on their way..."

I'm not sure how much of the story was fleshed out from Z.A.'s notes, but with the di
Heather Clitheroe
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Quite enjoyed it - I wasn't expecting that the trilogy would be finished when the news came out that Z. A. Recht had died, so it was something of a shock and a surprise to find that it had, indeed, been finished. Whoever ghosted this book...thank you. From the fans, thank you.

Lance
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
It tied up the series well. More zombie goodness and the end of a saga.
Snorri
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
R.I.P to one of the greatest authors of the genre...

You are sorely missed :/
Susannah
Jenn Faughnan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I really loved this book. I listened to it on Audible.
Kurt Lieber
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was very poor compared to the other two. This is most likely due to the author passing away before it was finished and someone else completing his work. Poorly.

You can definitely tell many of the sections where the new author took over. They're written in a more clinical manner, with less emphasis placed on the characters and more emphasis placed on the actions.

My biggest beef with this book is the crappy ending. It's rushed and very poorly written. The author uses what I call "magic p
Joanna
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-over
Sad to say that I was disappointing by this book and I sort of went into reading it with the expectation I would be knowing that someone had to complete Z.A. Recht's work. It has been a while between reading the second and the third book and had I known the author had passed before picking them up to read I may not have chosen to.

I loved the first two books in the series. I couldn't put them down. Generally I don't like zombie books, but somehow Recht managed to rope me in and keep me nose deep
Roxy
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
The best I can say is that it was good to finish the trilogy. I realize that ZA Recht died prior to finishing the book... but unfortunately the ghost author did not do him justice in finishing the writing. This book's recap of what had happened before was too detailed. It was actually insulting to the intelligence. In more than one instance the recap was of things that had been explained only a chapter earlier. Also, towards the end, it seemed like events were out of order. The end came too quic ...more
Erik
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And with Survivors ends the Morningstar Strain Trilogy. This series has so far been one of the better zombie series I have read. While some people might not be happy with the ending, I am happy as we are at least given closure. To think that a couple of years ago with the Z.A. Recht death we would be left with so many questions unanswered, in the end we the anticipating fans got our wish.

I feel old fans of the series will be quite happy with the book, the epilogue gives a bit to be desired, and
Aimee Clark
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm glad that a ghost writer was found, but I am just not feeling this wrap up. So many unanswered questions, so many out of character actions. I'm glad that I read it, and I'm glad to have closure. I just wish that Z. A. Recht had been here to finish the story as it should have ended.
Brian Clopper
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
It lost me when one of the characters went back out and faced off against the zombies so he could fetch his hat. The climax had too many chess pieces on the board for the reader to keep track of and it suffered for it. Bit of a whimper all things considered.
Wilson Tomba
Ok, so this is hardly high literature, but I expected a more professional editing job. The ghost writer did ok, but is not as good as Recht.
Overall it's an ok read and provides closure for those of us who had been left wondering how things would have turned out.
Christina
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not sure how much of a fan I was of the ending. It left it kind of open for a next book, though there won't be one. I also didn't like how they just conveniently killed off huge numbers of characters towards the end. I guess that's a zombie book for you.
Alondra
4 Stars

Good ending to the series; but nothing happy-go-lucky. I mean, this is the zombie apocalypse, people.

Will Gabbett
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank the Gods that is over.
What a fantastic idea. Exactly how zombies should work. What a terrible set of characters and an awful story line. The stupidity of every character in this series of books is mind boggling. Recht needed a couple of friends and a good editor to read this book to deal with all the story holes and idiotic decisions. I'd give it 1 star but the strength of the zombie mechanics was so, that it got me through the whole trilogy. This book will stay with me for a long time, un
Ben
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zombies, painful
Thom Brannan is a complete hack who completely killed this series with a machete. Hopefully he never ghost writes another damn thing. He completely either forgot or ignored the series rules. How do you forget this?

The worse thing that happened:
(view spoiler)

Prick.
Sue
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this series and I must say I am stunned to learn the author has passed away. I intend to check out the next one which is written by a new author with my hope being that the change is seamless.

Great series for action lovers!
Ana
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombiez
Unfortunately the worst one in the Trilogy. I know that this is mostly due to the demise of the original author, so reader can notice the difference in styles - one typical for Recht - realistic, down to Earth, no writing about unnecessary things and terrible jokes and another shallow, Hollywood bad action movie style - bad jokes, unnecessary information (like the part about the surnames), shallow stereotypical Army jokes etc. It's still a good zombie novel, but not as nearly good as Thunder and ...more
Hugo Raymond
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The ending was a bit expedited quickly probably because the script was finished by the author's friend after his death but I think a few more pages could have rounded things better.
Courtney
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

The first thing I want to say is I really , really liked the first two books of this series. Z. A. Recht did a phenomenal job writing them and they sit right up at the top of my "best zombie books ever" list along with the "Newsflesh" trilogy by Mira Grant.

Unfortunately, I can not place "Survivors" up there with them.

Sadly, Z. A. Recht passed away before being able to finish this series. And while I am glad that someone was able to step in to do the job (thank you Thom Brannan), there are defin
chucklesthescot
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
With the tragic death of the author ZA Recht after book two, the fans wondered if we would get a conclusion to the trilogy so I was thrilled to hear that another author had agreed to use ZA Recht's notes and complete book three. There have been mixed opinions on how successful the author was but I still very much enjoyed the book. It is hard to judge the contents of the book as I don't know what ZA's notes were, how much of the plot is his and how much was filled in by the new author. So I can o ...more
  • Origin to Exile (Day by Day Armageddon, #1-2 Omnibus)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • Crusade (Eden #2)
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • The Killing Floor (The Infection #2)
  • Eden
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Domain of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #1)

Morningstar Strain (5 books)
  • Plague of the Dead (Morningstar Strain #1)
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • Healers: A Morningstar Strain Novel  (Morningstar Strain #4)
  • Hunters (Morningstar Strain #5)