Start by marking “Home Truths” as Want to Read:
Home Truths

Home Truths

(McCabe Sisters #4)

Having been brought up in a draughty house in Derbyshire by their eccentric uncle, Django, the McCabe girls actually consider themselves very normal and well-adjusted. Pip is stepmother to 10-year-old Tom, Fen has a young baby and Cat has returned to England to start a family. Their mid 30s are promising to be a time of comfort and contentment. However, at their uncle's 70 ...more
Published June 25th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published December 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Home Truths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Truths

Start your review of Home Truths
Soho_Black
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
You would think that, after reading Freya North’s Three novels about the McCabe sisters; “Cat”, “Fen” and “Pip” and finding them ranging from awful to nearly awful, I would have given up. But upon discovering there was a fourth novel featuring the three of them, I couldn’t help myself. I’m a completist by nature, as well as an avid reader, and I can’t let another book in the same series remain unread, regardless of how I felt about the others.

In “Home Truths”, set several years after the events
Jamie Rose
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not a fan. The writing is not bad, but I recently said I don't have to like characters to enjoy a book. After reading this, I guess that isn't strictly true.

The truth is more like - I don't have to like murderers in the some of the more gruesome books...

This is about three rather unpleasant sisters, Cat is an immature baby, Pip is a doormat and Fen is a horrible, selfish individual, who has no time to make an effort for her husband and father of her child, but can make the effort to tramp around
Rea Cobb
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
For my hospital visit today I decided to take Freya North's Home Truth paperback with me to see me through the tedious day. It is the second book by Freya North I have read and I found it was as good as the first. An easy read that does not require enormous amounts of concentration which helps when you have machines buzzing in your ear!!

This book introduces us to the McCabe family, sisters Fen, Pip, and Cat and their Uncle Django.

Cat the youngest of the sisters is married to Ben who is a docto
Kate
May 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are three prequels to this story which are light hearted frivolous romantic romps about the McCabe sisters Pip, Fen and Cat. Home truths is the tying up of loose ends and the bringing of all three sisters together in one place for the finale. It is a bit of a departure from those carefree fantasies. It seems Freya North has attempted to tackle some harder and deeper issues that were not present in the previous plots - but hinted at. Namely the absence of their mother and the demise of thei ...more
Alice Rose
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, drama
I have previously read Secrets by Freya North and, having found it fairly enjoyable, decided to read another of her books. Home Truths was the only one that pulled me in at all from the blurb on the back.

The book centres on three sisters, Pip, Fen and Cat, whose mother abandoned them when they were small and were raised by their eccentric uncle Django. Now, I hadn't read the previous books focusing on the sisters (imaginatively titled Cat, Fen and Pip) so I didn't know anything about their backg
Aileen
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Cat, Fen and Pip are sisters they were raised by their Uncle Django
after their mother ran off with a Cowboy when they were young.
Cat – Has come home after 4 years abroad she is married to Ben who is a
Doctor and is planning a baby.
Fern- Is a mum to Cosima and wants to make a better job of it than her
mother she is very over protective and her marriage to Matt doesn’t
look great.
Pip- Works as a professional clown, she is married to Tom and has a
Step-son (from tom’s previous relationship) Zac.
Dj
Jeni
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Having read Pip, Cat and Fen i was excited to read of them going home and to find out some "Home truths". The home truths were bog standard. I found the characters to be stagnant and little progression from their individual stories.
Had their stories ran their course? Yes!
After their happy endings what more was there? very little. Yes the home truths shook things up as little, but the characters had been given such a strong family base in the other books it was clear they were unbreakable.
The
Nicholas Whyte
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, xx, non-genre, 1309
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2175682.html[return][return]Chick lit isn't my usual genre, but I do dabble very occasionally, and I really enjoyed this - the story of three sisters, brought up by their uncle, whose love lives and career are all in slight disarray, then completely disrupted by the reappearance of their long-vanished mother. North has a very credible and compassionate way of getting into people's heads. Nobody is an angel, nobody is completely evil either. And the ending is not a c ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
I was after something light and thought this might be too light but it worked out well. I almost didn't pick it up off the library shelf but then saw it was a follow on book featuring the sisters Pip, Fen & Cat from earlier books by the author. The earlier books were very "girl meets boy and lives happily ever after". This therefore must be about how the "happily ever after" bit works out. Which it is. And I enjoyed it a lot. It's quite bittersweet in places, not always frivolous, the characters ...more
Sharon Metcalf
What a great surprise I got when I started this book and discovered it was about the McCabe girls; Pip, Fen & Cat and their partners & of course Django their uncle. I had read & loved all 3 books about the sisters and had recently read some unrelated books by Freya North. In fact that's what I was expecting and I only chose this one because I needed another book that started with H for my reading challenge. Anyway I enjoyed this book but perhaps not as much as some of the others. Although in som ...more
Juliana Graham
I really liked the way that this book tied together the other three books about the McCabe sisters but cleverly still left the way open for further books if Freya North ever decided to revisit the family. Her style can be irritating at times but in comparison to Cat, which occasionally made me want to scream, this is much better. I would recommend reading Fen, Pip and Cat first before this book as even though it is stand alone it contains 'spoilers' from the other books which would ruin some plo ...more
Tricia
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
I remember really enjoying the first three books with these characters: Fen, Pip and Cat. So I was very excited to see what has happened to each of them after the original romances. Well, aside from discovering the mystery of their mother and getting a bit more insight into their uncle's motivations... it was just okay. Probably still a good summer read if you're familiar with the other novels but nothing special to go out and get for itself.
Ailsa
Jul 25, 2009 rated it liked it
If you're going to read chick-lit (which lets fact it, every so often I am) you might as well read Freya North. Home Truths is chick-lit for grown-ups - it explores what happens after you bag the man of your dreams and throws in babies, infidelties and family revelations for good measure. Whilst still managing to provide the brainless escapism that you pick up chick-lit for in the first place.
Emma Millward
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read Cat, Fen and Pip books before reading Home Truths. Loved all the stories so I was excited to read what happened next. However some of the story didn't match up. Cat had apparently been living in America for 4years. Yet little Tom has only aged 2years from the Pip book. I know this came out later than the other two but I'm sure Cat was living in the uk the whole of that book. But apart from that confusion I found the book to be great.
Bev Taylor
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
ok - might make it 3.5 stars!

this brings together the three girls - pip, fen and cat plus their respective others and father figure django

h/e his 75th birthday party is interrupted by a mysterious visitor and the girls friend that the man who was like a father to them is now a stranger

plus django is diagnosed with cancer

sorry - this did not resonate with me. i think there were too many characters and penny was totally unbelievable

bev
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a really slow going book. I felt the plot was all over the place. The story focused on 3 sisters and their father-figure Uncle. The 3 sisters were totally unlike able. All self centred and mardy characters. I didn’t connect with any of them. I didn’t realise before reading this book that this was the fourth in the series. The previous 3 books focus solely on each sister, however I won’t be reading them.
Jo
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed Freya North's first three books about Fen, Cat and Pip so thought I'd give this one a read. I say that because since those early titles I've not enjoyed North's books as much.

This one was ok. Chick-lit of the 'read it once and then forget it' variety. If you're in that kind of mood, it will meet the need, but I'd be more likely to recommend Melissa Nathan.
Pauline Mably
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed any other Freya North novel - they are light fluffy and easy to read and the literary equivalent of scoffing down a Big Mac. They won't improve you in any way but they are fun and good for a wee lazy treat every now and again. Comfortably middle class and not much edge but what is wrong with that?
Vivienne
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story of sisters Cat,Fen and Pip who were abandoned as babies by there mother who " ran off with a cowboy from Denver" brought up by there uncle DJANGO oh how I wanted him to be my uncle/father. Freya has such an insight into relationships you feel you are with them in it. highly recommend and cannot wait to read more by this author
Juju
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nearly didn't read this as gave up on the individual tales of the sisters, but glad to say I quite enjoyed this. The crazy uncle was a good character. Two different people with cancer was a tad depressing as my husband is terminally ill, but I could definitely see how Django felt with hospital tests. Overall a "nice" read!
The Cats’ Mother
This was alright, but I didn't like most of the characters much - except Pip - and the ending felt inconclusive. I haven't read the preceding books, so might have enjoyed it more if I knew more about the characters.
K.L. Taylor
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It had it all for me. Was a little unhappy with the ending but then I suppose that's the ending that most made sense. I'd have like to have known what happened after though.
Violet Gregory
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book - it was the first of Freya North's I had read and made me want to read more of her work. Fen was definitely my favourite sister - I liked that she seemed more naughty and unpredictable than the other two.
Bekki Pate
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - it feels like freya north has now found her voice and her way of story telling, it has none of the flaws of her other works.
It was heartfelt, I cared about the characters and the stories were well formed and interesting.
Can't wait to read the rest of them.
Gemma
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not my kind of genre at all but I didn't hate it. I read the Pip, Fen and Cat years ago so it was nice to finish the series. A light, fluffy read that was perfect to keep me entertained during my reading lull. Would definitely recommend to chick-lit fans.
Wordsrthoughtsok
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
wonderful book with fully rounded characters. laughter and tears and plenty else besides.
Sarah Lister
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not my favourite book of hers but still I enjoyed it! A few predictable twists but a few unpredictable ones thrown in too!!
Estelle
Sep 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mausham
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
All the time, I wised I had a sister ;)
Quite consuming..
Shauna
Jan 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
I bought this from ASDA the other day for £1. ONE POUND!? F*cking supermarkets. Although I am clearly condoning this extreme discounting by buying the bloody book.

• Belle (Belle, #1)
  • The Woman in the Wood
  • The Wednesday Letters
  • The Cross Gardener
  • The Other Bennet Sister
  • Never Look Back
  • Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby
  • The Good Neighbour
  • Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2)
  • Citadel (Languedoc, #3)
  • Gardens Of Delight
  • No Child of Mine
  • Tell It To The Skies
  • No Place to Hide
  • The Book of Tomorrow
  • The Secret Cove in Croatia  (Romantic Escapes, Book 5)
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Talking to Addison
Freya North is the author of many bestselling novels which have been translated into numerous languages. She was born in London but lives in rural Hertfordshire, where she writes from a stable in her back garden. A passionate reader since childhood, Freya was originally inspired by Mary Wesley, Rose Tremain and Barbara Trapido: fiction with strong and original characters. To hear about events, com ...more

McCabe Sisters (4 books)
  • Cat (McCabe Sisters, #1)
  • Fen (McCabe Sisters, #2)
  • Pip (McCabe Sisters, #3)