Start by marking “PS, I Love You” as Want to Read:
PS, I Love You

PS, I Love You

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  283,713 Ratings  ·  7,073 Reviews
Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry.

Childhood sweethearts, they could finish each other's sentences and even when they fought, they laughed. No one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other.

Until the unthinkable happens. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms, Gerry comes back to her. He's lef
Published September 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about PS, I Love You, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ranee Babu
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Candice
I made the mistake of seeing the movie before reading the book, thinking that the book is always better than the movie. And the movie changed so much of the book that it made it difficult to settle into the book as an independent, standalone work. I have mixed feelings about both the book and the movie (which is irrelevant, except that it influenced my experience of the book). I'm impressed that Cecilia Ahern was able to imagine the scenario, flush it out, and write an okay novel about it at onl ...more
Frances
Apr 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be one of very few who didn't like this book. First of all I must point out that I love girlie books and cry at anything even the slightest bit sad. With that said, I didn't enjoy it at all and couldn't wait for it to end. I WANTED to like it. I hoped something would happen to make me change my opinion but it didn't.

The whole book felt like a rambling and dull conversation with a repetitive yet inconsistent story-line. I would normally have full sympathy for Holly's situation but hone
Maddie
Cecelia Ahern →

EXCELLENT book - Which was so good a movie was done just for said book - High five Cecelia *YOU ARE MY HERO* without you said movie will not have been created my all time favorite love story *kiss-kiss*!

P.S. I Love you - Hope Fortress
AND I did read the book - sorry I should have added in the review but was so excited about the movie that I forgot to add that in my review - sorry babes!

The Pogues - I
Tea Jovanović
Read it still in manuscript and fell in love... I knew it would be bestseller... One of my favorites among the books and authors I discovered as editor and bought rights for Serbia
Kate
Nov 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
So badly written that it detracted from the touching and interesting premise.

I read this solely because I saw that a film was being made of it with Gerard Butler (of 300 fame) and wanted to have read the film prior to seeing the film which I am bound to do because it has Gerard Butler (of 300 fame) in it. The book is written by the daughter of the Irish Prime Minister which is the most interesting thing I can think to say about it. I like myself some chick-lit-lite but this is ridiculous. The w
Tara
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I was really expecting a lot more from this book, being that it has been made into a movie but I was fairly disappointed. I understand that Ahern is a young writer but she really does have a LOT of work to do with her writing skills. And maybe she could pick up a thesaurus to find a substitute word for "sarcastically" as she uses it to death in this book - there's no need to state the obvious in my opinion.

I suppose that I'm drawn to strong, proactive, and independent main characters and I spen
asdewi
Annie
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-Lit Readers
Recommended to Annie by: Sheree McLeod
Shelves: read-in-2008
After being obsessed with the movie for months, I decided to take the plunge and read the book. Finally. And I can tell you that the book was equally as satisfying but completely different to the Gerard Butler perv-fest that I so dearly love.

There were so many changes made to translate this book to film. I won't go into them all here now because I wouldn't want to ruin it but let's just say they were significant. From love interests to careers, everything was different. And for that reason, I th
Leigh
Sep 02, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried reading this once before, a few years ago now. I put it down about a quarter of the way in because, frankly, I was bored. I saw the movie several months ago and actually found it a lovely mix of sweet and sad. I thought maybe I'd missed something in the book and not only that, but I've become well acquainted with this kind of loss in the time that has passed. Thinking that my new perspective might change my mind, I decided that at some point I'd give it another go.

Well this week I gave
Gillian
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
I loved this book. Beautiful story and very well written.

It made me cry a few times and also appreciate things in my life....especially my loving and thoughtful husband. He works away from home and at times I am so lonely without him. So I could feel Holly's pain and lonliness. This year is our first Christmas apart and I've been rather blue lately. A few chapters in the book were hard to read and I had to put it down for a while and watch TV instead.

Thankfully though I know he is coming home
Astrid Adityawarman
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women who lost their loving men
Cecelia Ahern's debut novel, PS, I Love You, follows the engaging, witty, and occasionally sappy reawakening of Holly, a young Irish widow who must put her life back together after she loses her husband Gerry to a brain tumor. Ahern, the twentysomething daughter of Ireland's prime minister, has discovered a clever and original twist to the Moving On After Death concept made famous by novelists and screenwriters alike--Gerry has left Holly a series of letters designed to help her face the year ah ...more
Anuradha
The world and its mother loved this book. I didn't. I couldn't. I don't think there was anything wrong with the book per se, except that it was too long, but somehow, nothing about the book stuck with me. Oh, and by too long I mean it was too long for the story, not as a book in general.

Everything was too forced, too predictable; I mean, the blurb screams "I'm different", yet the story remains the same. Then again, this is probably just another case of "it's not you, it's me." I'm sure everyone
Inge
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A very beautiful story that makes sad and makes you smile, though it was a little long-winded and cheesy at times. Holly's friendship with Daniel and her family members was very sweet. Could do with a lot more Gerry, too. Especially now that I see him as Gerard Butler.
Erika
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ho iniziato questo libro con delle aspettative molto alte che non sono state per niente deluse! -- Mi ha emozionato tantissimo, ho pianto a più riprese, ho riso e sono rimasta completamente rapita da questa magnifica storia.

Holly e Gerry sono anime gemelle, praticamente inseparabili. Holly non può vivere senza di lui, finché non è costretta a farlo. Gerry, infatti, muore a causa di un cancro terminale al cervello ed Holly, vedova a soli 29 anni, non sa cosa fare per rimettere insieme i pezzi.

Que
Maria Espadinha
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Chama Que Nunca Se Apaga

Os alvos do Amor são efémeros, mas o Sentimento neles criado dura e perdura como Chama que Nunca se Apaga.
E há todo um Mundo de Possibilidades onde novamente se descobrir e encontrar.

Ao Abraçar a Vida rumando em Frente, veremos os Impossíveis de Hoje tornarem-se os Possíveis de Amanhã.
Nada supera a sensação de Renascer das Cinzas!
É a Vitória da Vida sobre a Morte Potencial que sucumbe. Um Momento de Ressurreição. E não conheço nada na Vida que se lhe equipare!
Ros
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
P.S. I Love You is an unusual choice for me since it starts off with the protagonist dealing with the death of her husband. Those who have seen my book collection would note that I go for high drama and sweeping romances, stuff for romantics who are in love with love. I always get the ones that start with the heroine being taken by the hero not realizing that they have been falling in love in the process. I couldn't say what drew me to the book but I picked it up and brought it with me to the ca ...more
Kimberly
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had bought P.S. I Love You with a collection of other chick lit novels on Ebay before the movie had come out yet. So I figured I would just read the book first for once and see what I thought of the movie after. Now that I've done that, I have to say I really enjoyed the book so much more. The two were vastly different and many things were left out of the movie, but I guess with 512 pages, there's a lot of story you have to cut. I just didn't expect them to change SO MUCH of it. Like Holly's s ...more
Booky
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of PS I love you. Gerry is romantic and makes some wonderful gestures that make his wife realize she's not alone in dealing with life after Jerry. But thanks to these sweeping romantic gestures, they're out of money (nothing left even to pay utility bills) and Holly has to beg her Mom for money.
PS: Take a splurgy vacation with your friends, then come back and make the most of the remaining $10 in our joint account!
PPS I love you!
Jessica
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was MUCH different than the movie, but I really liked it, I think even more than the movie. It's a honest, raw look at the long road of healing and finding yourself again after losing a part of your heart.
Vasia
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Again I liked the movie more than the book. I feel like a mean person saying it for a newly widowed woman, but Holly is an insufferable little shit and I hate her.
Willa
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a light read but normally doesn't go in for chick-lit
Shelves: to-re-read
I chose this book one day when I was in the mood for something different than my usual fare of high fantasy, smart science fiction or classic literature. I spent a long time perusing the chick-lit shelves (not being a fan of the genre, normally) before settling on this book, and I was not disappointed with my choice.

Holly is a widow who watched her husband die from a lengthy illness and is having a hard time dealing with it... But her husband has planned for that and has left her help in that ar
Kaya
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high expectations for this book. What I wanted was a poignant and heart-breaking portrayal of a widow's emotional state, and all I got was a lot of a small talk and boring everyday family time. Like, A LOT. Yes, Garry’s notes were touching, but way too short to be a significant part of the novel.

It starts off with the protagonist dealing with the death of her husband. Holly keeps to herself a few months after Gerry had lost a battle with brain tumour. They’ve been together since high
Keri
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
With the movie coming out, I finally decided to read the book (however, I don't intend to see the movie as it looks really bad). I wasn't sure what to expect from the book. I didn't know a whole lot about the book before reading it, other than the basic premise.

In keeping in line with my love of all things Irish, I enjoyed that this book was set in Dublin. I'm surprised that that author was as young as she was when she wrote the book. I also can't help but like the fact that she's the daughter
Anushree Rastogi
A young married couple, Holly and Gerry, have a joke between them: If anything ever happened
to him, he'd have to write her a list or else she'd never be able to cope without him. “The List”
grew to encompass advice for any eventuality, a joke all their friends shared. When Gerry's
severe headache is diagnosed as brain cancer and Holly tragically loses him in a few short
months, she is devastated and unmoored. She hasn't just lost her husband, she's lost her very
identity. And then it arrives: a pack
Mon Maryum
This novel is about Holly dealing with the death of her husband, Gerry. She later discovers that Gerry left a series of letters for every month for a year. One for Jan, Feb, March, etc. The story was heartwarming. Liked the little twist in the end although I wanted the ending to go a bit more slower. In the end, it seemed like she became a lot more (view spoiler)

I really ap
Excerpt: “But Holly, nobody’s life is filled with perfect little moments. And if it were, they wouldn’t be perfect little moments. They would just be normal. How would you ever know happiness if you never experienced downs?”

Devoured the book as well as the movie. Highly recommended.
Simona
Rating: 5/5 || Recenzia pe Secretele Cărților

[image error]

Când viața îți oferă lămâi...
... faci limonadă. Parcă așa era vorba aceea. :)

P.S. Te iubesc este o carte pe care o aveam pe lista de lectură de foarte mult timp. Recent, datorită celor de la Editura Allfa, am avut ocazia să mă delectez cu această carte care a ajutat-o pe autoarea Cecelia Ahern să își facă debutul.

Mai mult ca sigur ați auzit/văzut filmul P.S. I love you, în care joacă Hilary Swank și Gerard Butler, un film emoționant, amuz
Diana
Una dintre cele mai frumoase povești despre dragoste pe care le-am citit. Subiectul este dulce-acrișor și ne prezintă o dragoste care depășește orice bariere, inclusiv cel existențial. Gerry, soțul lui Holly, îi lasă înainte să moară 10 scrisori pentru fiecare lună următoare a anului respectiv pentru a o ajută să se obișnuiască cu această pierdere și să meargă mai departe.

Astfel, pe parcursul cărții o urmărim pe Holly în momentele dificile prin care trece de la moartea soțului său. În scrisoril
Heba
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lulu
This book will make laugh and cry with the character. It describe the feeling of a women who lost her beloved one, her soul mate.

The main story is that her husband before he died he wrote 12 notes for her to support her and help her to start a new life without him. 12 notes for 12 months.

You will see what she will do and live her life without him and try her best to continue.

I enjoyed every moment readying this book.. Enjoy it :)

P.s. sorry for my poor English

القصه تحكي عن امرأه فقدت اعز رفيق ل
Viir
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my favorite books and movie adaptations. I remember watching the movie as a teenager and being both sad and happy (I still remember the scenery..oh my desire to visit Ireland started at this point and sadly, up to now, I couldn't fulfill it.
The book follows Holly, a young woman who is 29/30, and who recently lost her husband Gerry because of an illness. And Gerry was such a wonderful person that he wrote her 12 letters, one for each month, to kind of give her guidance and let her
  • My Best Friend's Girl
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Best of Friends
  • Lucy in the Sky
  • Going Home
  • I Heart Paris (I Heart, #3)
  • Miranda's Big Mistake
  • Pack Up the Moon
  • See Jane Date
  • From Here to Maternity
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
Cecelia Ahern was born and grew up in Dublin. She is now published in nearly fifty countries, and has sold over twenty-five million copies of her novels worldwide. Two of her books have been adapted as films and she has created several TV series.
More about Cecelia Ahern...

“Finding someone you love and who loves you back is a wonderful, wonderful feeling. But finding a true soul mate is an even better feeling. A soul mate is someone who understands you like no other, loves you like no other, will be there for you forever, no matter what. They say that nothing lasts forever, but I am a firm believer in the fact that for some, love lives on even after we're gone.” 2026 likes
“Shoot for the moon, even if you fail, you'll land among the stars” 1702 likes