Start by marking “To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Fetch a Thief (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #3)

To Fetch a Thief (Chet and Bernie Mystery #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  5,473 Ratings  ·  675 Reviews
In this third book in the brilliant mystery series, Chet and Bernie go under the big top to solve the most unlikely missing persons (and animals!) case ever.

Chet has smelled a lot of unusual things in his years as trusted companion and partner to P.I. Bernie Little, but nothing has prepared him for the exotic scents he encounters when an old-fashioned traveling circus come
Published September 28th 2010

To ask other readers questions about To Fetch a Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Fetch a Thief

HBalikov
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My beloved smiled and laughed through this Chet and Bernie so I thought that I would give it a chance. Bernie is the head of the Little Detective Agency. He is its sole employee, unless you count Chet, who almost graduated from K-9 training. This story is told by Chet and the canine perspective is at the core of what makes this series a delight.

Bernie, an ex-cop, is on a tight budget which doesn't leave much for maintenance of his marginal car or activities with his son when his custody days ro
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humor, mystery
I really like the Chet and Bernie mysteries. Chet is hilarious! I can see my dogs doing the same stuff Chet does and hearing what (possibly) goes through their minds is really entertaining.

In this installation, Chet and Bernie are asked to find a missing animal trainer and his ELEPHANT! How do you lose an elephant? Anywho... The case leads them to Mexico and the world of smuggling. Bernie takes another beating in this one and Chet once again saves the day.
Glenn Whelan
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perfect for quick summer reading, the Chet and Bernie books never leave the bowl empty. They are kibble full of fun, entertaining detective work. They also are quick to note a bit about the human experience, seen through the eyes of a dog.

This time around, To fetch a thief , the disappearance of a circus elephant leads to a string of other disappearances and wrongdoing. Spencer Quinn weaves a complex crime into a simple solution. But we read this for Chet more than the actual mystery.

A brief th
Roberta
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In recent days I have had to cut back on reviewing due to increasing “day job” demands. I still get some review books in the mail. I opened a package before going on my long anticipated vacation and was excited to see it was the latest Chet & Bernie mystery. I discovered this delightful series through an online book club and was hooked from the first page of DOG ON IT. I don’t own a dog, but fell in love with Chet immediately. Among other endearing qualities, I could relate to his tendency t ...more
Alyssa
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The Quick and Dirty:

Bernie Little, private detective, and his dog Chet are back and solving more mysteries in the American Southwest. The 3rd entry in this series finds the team investigating the disappearance of a circus elephant and her trainer on a twisty trail that leads them down Mexico way. Engaging, easy read with some genuinely poignant moments along the way. I heart these books so much!

The Wordy Version:

Seriously, I do heart these books so much. They are narrated by the black-and-wh
Patti
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Chet the Jet! I love how his doggie mind works and how you can tell he sometimes is just repeating things he's heard humans say (i.e. she's [his groomer] got a great business with a great business plan) and how he sometimes gets distracted by a Cheeto. I often repeat things that I've heard and get distracted by Cheetos, so I understand this dog. Despite his sometimes simple thoughts, Chet is not to be underestimated (me, either!). His keen sense of smell and hearing give him a, uh, dog's ...more
Karin
Peanut the elephant and his trainer have vanished, seemingly into thin air, and so Chet and Bernie, who have also been hired on a possible divorce case, are on the trail. But at first there is no trail; not even a scent, and boy, do elephants have a strong scent! Chet knows. When the trainer turns up dead in the desert with nary a sign of Peanut, they are investigating several shady characters which leads them on a wild goose chase, despite the fact that Chet can't see or smell any geese whatsov ...more
Jackie
The third book in the hilarious Chet and Bernie Mystery series hits the shelves in late September, and it does not disappoint. They are on the trail, literally, of a missing circus elephant and her beloved trainer when they stumble upon a much higher stakes smuggling operation that will make your fur stand up. It's another fun frolic with this dynamic duo that is sure to please their many fans.
Wendy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myst-w-animals
This is the third installment of Chet (the dog) and Bernie the Private Eye. All 3 are written in the perspective of Chet. This makes the book interesting. He is a pretty smart dog despite flunking out of Police Work school. He doesn't remember why he flunked, except it had to do with some stupid squirrel..
Reading a who don' It in a dog's perspective is rather interesting because according to him Bernie being a human misses out on a lot of clues and observations....
In this installment Bernie is
Connie N.
This is just about the cutest and cleverest idea for a cozy/detective book. Bernie Little is head of the Little Detective Agency, and is a shy and endearingly bumbling kind of hero. Chet is his sidekick, a dog, and we see the story through his eyes. Chet thinks in what I imagine is a totally dog-like manner. He starts thinking about something and is easily distracted by food...or he will hear a phrase like "You're just a chicken." and misunderstand, immediately thinking about chicken...or he'll ...more
kari
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Quickly becoming one of my favorite series. I love Chet and Bernie, what a great team they are.
In this installment, they are searching for a circus elephant and her trainer who've gone missing or perhaps ran away due to influence by animal rights activism.
Not only does the author do a terrific job of getting Chet right with his actions, thoughts, behaviors, but he must have studied up on elephant behavior because I felt Peanut's emotions and actions.
There are also personal bits of Bernie's life
Joseph
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Theres no great depth to the Chet and Bernie books, but then, the author never tries to be the next Agatha Christie. They are just funny stories narrated as through the eyes of Chet-the-Jet Bernies faithful dog. This book finds the duo on a missing elephant hunt, can they help Peanut or can Peanut help them.

If you want a light hearted read with a few laughs this could be the book for you, if your a dog lover then this is definitely a book for you. Probably best read in order but not essential.
Monica
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. I think character-wise, this one rounded out Bernie much more. It was great to see how soft-hearted he can be with people and animals awhile still having this tough guy persona. And, of course, what isn't to love about Chet - but he just goes above and beyond in this case. Chet is giving Lassie & Enzo competition as best canine characters ever. Thoroughly entertaining fun.
Meg
I just love the Chet and Bernie books. Written from the POV of Chet the Dog, this book is warm, funny and entertaining. Chet and his owner Bernie are PIs and are on the trail of a missing elephant. As nauseatingly cute as the premise sounds, the result is a gorgeous, funny book with great characters. Bernie the PI is lovely - he is my new fictional crush - and Chet the Dog is just awesomeness on four legs. Spencer Quinn is a brilliant writer (and probably an awesome dog owner).
Pamela Shropshire
3.5 stars. This is the 3rd Chet & Bernie book; it's about an exotic animal-smuggling ring.

It was a bit slow getting started, I thought, but I really enjoyed the bits with Peanut the Elephant. Nice to see Bernie's and Suzie's relationship moving forward as well.

It's a fun series; I just wish the ebooks weren't so pricey.
Debra
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King recommended author and series. He said: "Spencer Quinn speaks two languages--suspense and dog--fluently."
☺Trish
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable installment of the Chet and Bernie Mysteries by Spencer Quinn! Great ending . . .
David
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
I can't really put into words how much I enjoy this series, even though I've read it out of order. This is #3 and I can say that they got even better than this. The author's skill at narrating a mystery from the point of a dog is nothing short of genius and great fun. Chet often hears a human idiom that he doesn't quite comprehend and it is always good for a laugh. To further the feeling of the dog serving as narrator there are those delightful moments of canine Attention deficit along the way a ...more
Linda
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another entertaining tale in the Chet and Bernie series from Spencer Quinn. The mystery plots in this series are never the point, so although this one is a bit weaker than the first two, it still doesn't matter much. We get to spend time with Chet, who gives us his dog's view of the world while helping his human private detective partner Bernie solve an unusual crime: the kidnapping of an elephant. Quinn manages to keep the premise fresh, bringing out a couple new tricks (no pun intended) for Ch ...more
Maddy
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
PROTAGONIST: Bernie Little, PI, and Chet, Dog
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 3.25

One unfortunate thing about being a small-time PI is that you pretty much have to take any case that comes your way. Bernie Little and his partner Chet, the dog, are watching the wife of Marvin Winkleman. As he suspected, she’s cheating on him, with someone that Bernie knows only too well. The other man is Malcolm, significant other to Bernie’s ex-wife, Leda. In fact, they have just announced their engagement. Bernie isn’t t
Wendy Hines
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read alot of books with animals as one of the main characters. But I've never read a book narrated by a dog -- until now. This is the first Chet and Bernie book I have read, but it is the third in the series with Dog on It, and Thereby Hangs a Tail preceding it.

PI Bernie Little runs the Little Detective Agency, along with his partner and counterpart, Chet, a very intelligent and watchful dog. Not much gets past him. When the two are staking out a motel for a man who things his wife is two-t
Lucinda
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To Fetch a Thief (Atria 2010) finds private detective Bernie Little and his faithful companion Chet the dog doing surveillance outside a motel, watching the possibly errant wife of a new client. Chet is relieved that there will soon be money coming in; the failed investment in Hawaiian pants hasn’t helped their financial situation. But Bernie is less concerned about money than doing the right thing, especially when he realizes that ex-wife’s new love interest is the man his client’s cheating wif ...more
Mitch
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I picked this book up off a relative's bookshelf and skipped along through it, aided by the short sentences and thoughts that make up the novel.
I think I've only read one other mystery that was told from a pet animal's perspective and that time it was two cats giving their version of events.
It's a pretty crazy idea to start with and I spent a lot of time wondering if the main character's thoughts and actions lined up with what you'd expect from a dog.
The answer to that was 'sometimes'.
On the oth
Paul Pessolano
Spencer Quinn has put together a very enjoyable series of books that feature private investigator, Bernie Little, and his precocious mutt, Chet. There are presently three books in the series; the first two are, "Dog On It" and "Thereby Hangs a Tail". All three are highly entertaining and do not have to read in order. These books can also be read by anyone because there is nothing objectionable in them regarding language or content.

"To Catch a Thief" finds Bernie and Chet at the circus. The main
Megan Kelly
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spencer Quinn's dog character, Chet, has become a favorite of mine. The author does an amazing job of staying in a dog's head--Chet never knows anything he shouldn't, anything human, or anything he doesn't experience himself. And the things he overhears or sees but doesn't understand are priceless ("Just spit it out," Bernie might say, and Chet thinks "oh, no, not in the cab of the truck." LOL)
Let me say, Spencer Quin does an incredible feat here--I don't like animal pov, I don't like circuses,
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy humorous and clever mysteries
Private detective Bernie Little and his intrepid canine companion Chet investigate the disappearance of an elephant and his trainer from a rundown circus. In addition, Bernie must deal with an ethical dilemma involving his shrewish ex-wife. To say much more would be to ruin the surprises of Spencer Quinn's third entry in this engaging mystery series.

Granted, the dog's eye view can sometimes grate this third time around; Chet's misunderstandings and foibles were more endearing when they were fres
Foxthyme
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a total sucker for Chet and Bernie mysteries. What's not to love about a mystery novel series told from Chet the dog's point of view? Chet is a flunked out of police school rebel who is more than happy to be hanging out with his best pal Bernie while solving murders and disappearances, and nabbing the bad guys. In this novel, Chet and Bernie have the task of tracking down a missing elephant trainer and elephant, Peanut. You wouldn't think it would be so hard finding an elephant, would you? ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
I love these books. They're just so entertaining. Yeah they are basically all the same but I don't care. They're fun. Chet and Bernie go on a case. Things get a little mixed up. Somehow Chet get separated from Bernie. Chet solves most of the case on his own. Then Chet finds Bernie and they both get out of another jam by the skin of their teeth and save the day.
I love seeing and hearing everything from Chet's point of view. He's the narrator and does a wonderful job. The stories are told exactly
Penny Ramirez
Enh. It was amusing, but I guess I really *did* need to listen to something lighter in tone, because I kept wishing the action would hurry up and happen, and then I had to remind myself that I was listening to a DOG, fercryinoutloud. I enjoy Chet's philosophical moments, but then I start thinking it's getting repetitive (I think I can go quite a while without hearing the phrases "breaking rocks in the hot sun" or "but he's wearing an orange jumpsuit now" - seriously) and then I have to remind my ...more
Kwoomac
My four star rating here reflects exactly what the goodreads rating guide suggests: Really liked it. It's not a brilliant piece of literature or anything but this author does deliver what I'm looking for when I pick up one of his Bernie Little and Chet the jet series. Bernie owns a detective agency and Chet is his trusty sidekick. The stories are told in Chet's voice and you're either going to love this or hate it. I happen to love it. In spite of the fact that I know everything is going to turn ...more
Play Book Tag: To fetch a Thief by Spencer Quinn 4 stars 3 14 Nov 12, 2016 04:26PM
Play Book Tag: To Fetch a Thief book 3 by Spencer Quinn 3 stars 1 7 May 21, 2016 06:50AM
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • A Dog About Town
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Blanche Among the Talented Tenth (Blanche White series Book 2)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Desert Lost (A Lena Jones Mystery #6)
Spencer Quinn lives on Cape Cod with his dog Audrey, and is hard at work on the next Chet and Bernie adventure.

Spencer Quinn is a pseudonym of author Peter Abrahams.

Series:
* A Chet and Bernie Mystery

More about Spencer Quinn

Chet and Bernie Mystery (8 books)
  • Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • The Sound and the Furry (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #6)
  • Paw and Order (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #7)
  • Scents and Sensibility (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • In a Cottage In a Wood
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Beautiful Lies
    $13.00 $3.99
  • The Perfect Mother
    $13.00 $3.99
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“A light breeze sprang up behind me. In a matter of moments, I realized it was my tail.” 1 likes