Start by marking “Oh, Say Can You See?” as Want to Read:
Oh, Say Can You See?

Oh, Say Can You See? (Free Men and Dreamers #4)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Tis The Star-Spangled Banner; O! Long May it Wave...

Though the capital smolders, the battered Constitution and the presidency have survived. But the British left the struggling government no home. Gone are the symbols of America - the Capitol Building and the President's House, and nearly every relic of the infant nation.

Britain's next target is the port city of Baltimore,
paperback, 466 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Walnut Springs Press (first published November 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Oh, Say Can You See?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh, Say Can You See?

Theresa Sneed
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! Laurie Lewis is a master at weaving historical accounts into her stories! What a pleasure to imagine such profound events as a setting/backdrop in her character's lives. It's like being an 'insider' to the great moments in out country's history, while thoroughly enjoying the believable characters and engaging story-line that Laurie has created.
Author of Oh, Say Can You See? the fourth book in the Free Men and Dreamers Series, L.C.Lewis is an excellent author who wears her
Anne
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of all Laurie (L.C.) Lewis's books, so it was no surprise for me to get that "coming home" feeling as soon as I began reading Volume Four in the Free Men and Dreamers Series—Oh, Say Can You See? All the familiar characters were racing on with their fascinating and dangerous lives, as the story continued to unfold in this epic work of historical fiction.

I think this volume will especially appeal to male readers. Laurie's battle scenes are so well researched and described that I felt I w
Braden Bell
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
By the end of the first page of Oh, Say Can You See, I had chills. Those chills continued as I read the brief scenes that introduced the characters that populate this epic book. I was quickly drawn in, by the power of the story and by Lewis’s deft technique, which helped me experience the book without getting in the way.

Oh, Say Can You See crackles with tension and suspense. Although I know how the Battle of Baltimore ended, I found myself staying up late at night and turning pages in an urgent
Valerie Steimle
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I’m not always interested in reading historical fiction when I read for leisure but this book held my curiosity without question. My knowledge of the history of our national anthem is not very noteworthy so with reading Oh Say Can You See, I knew I would learn something; and learn I did.

This story is weaved with the triumph and tragedy of the War of 1812 and what the British tried to accomplish in their last push to overcome the colonists. Frances Scott Key played a great role in this era as did
Kay Curtiss
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading Oh, Say Can You See? as we approach our Birthday/Freedom Day Celebrations, whether in Canada or the United States, both countries children of England, has brought a lot of gratitude to my heart for our freedoms and liberties that we enjoy today.

While a lot of the book is set in my own backyard, it also takes us to Canada and England. Laurie has done incredible research, spending countless hours to make sure she has the correct historical details. She has woven interesting and well devel
Sherrill
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Who knew there was so much to the War of 1812? Talk about a forgotten war! Through the pages of this book you come to understand the ramifications in the personal lives of those who suffered through this war that culminated in the burning of Washington DC and the White House with its extensive library. I can see she is paving the way for another volume about the Civil War because of the threads she left untied. I enjoyed this read but I wish it didn't take a year to produce sequels because you f ...more
MaryKay
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters in this book and the relationships between them. Having the list of characters in the front of the book was a thoughtful touch. I enjoyed the recounting of the events during this period of history. I wonder if any slave owners in Maryland actually freed their slaves out of a sense of justice during this time period. I don’t know if that is realistic, but it makes for admirable characters.

I hadn’t read the first 3 books in this series, and now want to go back and read th
Stacey Starley
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Laurie's ability to draw me into her characters. This is my favorite so far, culminating all the previous battles of the War of 1812 and the emotional patriotic response that is now sung in, The Star Spangled Banner. I love that I have been to nearly every historical site featured in her books and heard the facts behind each museum but to FEEL the sacrifice and faith of our founding fathers as well as the generation that followed and to understand the pre-cursors to the Civil War has been ...more
Heather
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed this series and am super excited for the final book to come out! I have learned a lot about our nation's history through reading this book and the best part is that it has a cute love story intertwined into it. I am not a huge fan of the war/violence parts, but it helps me to feel more grateful for the freedoms that we have because of the sacrifices that all of those men and their families made. I would definitely recommend the series!
Bonnie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this series and this 4th book did not disappoint. After reading the first 3 books I started this book feeling like I really knew the characters and was looking forward to seeing this next phase of their lives. The historical facts were also very interesting, particularly the history and circumstances of the writing of The Star Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key. Such well developed characters and story line, I don't want to wait to get the next book to find out how things unfold..
Lorraine
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
this volume tells about the American national anthem being composed and the conditions that brought it about.

Merged review:

interesting to learn details of the battle of Baltimore and the composition of the national anthem. author weaves the story from British point of view, American point of view, and freed-slave households and friends.
Heather
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Laurie is an avid historian and weaves an intriguing tale in this fourth volume of her Freemen and Dreamers series. I love the historical details she includes from the tumultuous era of the War of 1812, and the events surrounding the writing of our national anthem by Francis Scott Key.
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have learned so much about the War of 1812 and the culture of this country by reading this series! I have really enjoyed the reading and have liked this book better than most of the others in the series. I am looking forward to reading the final book!
Sheila
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this 4th book in the series. My favorite part centered around Francis Scott Key, and how the song "The Star Spangled Banner" came to be. I look forward to reading the 5th and last book in the series.
Liesl
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book ws just as great as the others! I can't wait until the next one comes out! What a great series!
Darci
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This one was great...as good as the first in the series and now I am anxiously awaiting the 5th!
Daliah Flake
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed this series. The author draws you in until you cannot put the book down. I cannot wait for the next book.
Evelyn
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
A wonderful story that makes history come alive. The characters are like family now after these 4 volumes. Waiting for the end of the tale.
Wendy
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. I love how Laurie blends Joseph Smith history with the U.S. history. I'm looking forward to reading the last book.
Duke
Apr 12, 2015
Katrina
Jul 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Laurie (L.C.) Lewis will always be a Marylander at heart—a weather-whining lover of crabs, American history, and the sea. She admits to being craft-challenged, particularly lethal with a glue gun, and a devotee of sappy movies. Her ninth published novel, her first romance novella, "Sweet Water, " was inspired by a visit to Oregon’s magnificent coast, and time spent with Mother Eugenie, upon whom t ...more
More about Laurie L.C. Lewis...

Free Men and Dreamers (5 books)
  • Dark Sky at Dawn