Start by marking “The Mudlark” as Want to Read:
The Mudlark

The Mudlark

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  300 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The only thing they have in common is their grim determination not to marry each other, but their fathers have them well and truly trapped. No matter how much they dislike each other, their only hope for escape is collaboration. And so together the concoct an elaborate scheme of their own, a double elopement, with a twist, so to speak... A Regency Romance in the Georgette ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 30th 2010 by Delle Jacobs (first published September 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Mudlark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mudlark

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I wasn’t sure what to expect with this $1 buy from Amazon. I love clean regency romance and after skimming the reviews it appears this would be just that. While it was fairly clean, it certainly pushed the limits. There were innuendos thrown in throughout and quite a few conversations centered on “marital relations”. Personally, I think the story could have done without. You can create romantic tension without all the innuendo.

Other than that, I enjoyed the story. I like the whole arranged marr
Jessica
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good fluff read! Izzy is a lady unafraid of getting a little dirty while teaching her village children. One day, she gets particularly messy saving the life of a kitten. She goes home and runs into Tristan, a captain in the military, who is disgusted on sight of her. Their fathers are the best of friends and have decided that their children will be perfect for one another, even though they are already promised to others. Not wanting to be caught in their fathers schemes, they work together ...more
Minh
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
RedRedtheycallmeRed
I've read several of Delle Jacobs' books and I think this was probably my least favorite (His Majesty, the Prince of Toads being my favorite). I liked Izzy, she was funny, sweet and brave. It was harder with Tristan, he was so unpleasant for so much of the book, I found it hard to believe Izzy was falling for him.

There was some good banter between Izzy and Tristan, and I liked his aunt Peaches. I found both of their fathers kind of baffling though, their behavior was just too odd.

This is a prett
LadyCalico
This was a fast, cute little Regency romance with no surprises and totally predictable. However, the characters were interesting--the kind-hearted heroine who cared not for phony social mores and the snobby, damaged hero, humbled by his disability and the heroine. The contrived elopement was a bit much and the stupid fishing side-trip way too much and the story really deteriorated during the excursion to Gretna Green, but overall this book was a fast and pleasant bit of non-nourishing, fluffy br ...more
Kelly Ann
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: regency romance lovers
I loved this traditional regency romance!! The hairbrained schemes, the true love, the adventure and all of the lovable characters. I couldn't put it down and for a free kindle book I was not disappointed at all. Though it was predicitable I believe that is why we read these kinds of novels....at least it's why I do. I also really enjoyed how the author got inside both the heads of Izzy and Tristin and gave their perspectives throughout. The story was very good and there was not one unlikeable c ...more
BoondocksGlam
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author. It dragged somewhat in the beginning but about a third of the way in, my interest picked up and so did my pace. Some of the other reviews said it is predictable.... For this genre I think that they are predictable in that-they are what the are-a nice easy historical romance. That being said, I give this a higher rating than others in the same genre.... There was decent character development which certainly doesn't always happen.....and that defini ...more
Shelley
This was a very fun, regency read. I enjoyed it very much. This is my first Della Jacobs read, I look forward to reading other works of hers.I originally tried it as it was free on kindle, it was a great introduction to this author. I enjoyed the characters very much & the way they interacted with each other. The whole story kept me entertained from start to end. I would definitely recommend this book if you like regency reads.
Priscilla  Waller
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Delle Jacobs a few years ago and read her whole backlist at one time. I enjoyed this book a lot. It was a good cuddle up and read all at once kind of book.

I only read historical set in the 19th century so I'm always looking for new authors. I think I have at least 7 or 8 of Delle's books and enjoyed them all.
charley kiel
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable Yet Compelling Journey

Enjoyable development of a very predictable outcome, but a compelling read nevertheless. Hampered only by a limited development of the period and tamed relationships with the characters.

Candi
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, regency
This was a fluffy little regency romance and I liked it. it ended happy, there was kissing, and no one tried to teach me a lesson.

It looks like this author may write some racy reads, this one doesn't go beyond kissing, it was just cute.

Mina
I really wanted to like it, but the writing was too florid and sloppy so I had to give up on it a little less than halfway through. May come back to it if I'm ever overflowing with patience, or desperate for the central trope of love/hate conflict between childhood friends.
Nancy
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two wastrel fathers chasing the Arthurian legends planned for their Isolde & Tristan to marry. Two warring opposites (..."undress whites do have an uncanny affinity for mud, but I never expected a mud puddle to sprout legs and personally hunt me down.") found a way to meet in the middle!

Ann Mauren
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Regency Romance immensely. Delle Jacobs orchestrates a perfect weave of lovable characters, cleverly crafted plot lines and humorous, highly entertaining dialogue. The age-old notion of 'opposites attract' takes an unexpected and delightful flight in 'The Mudlark.'
Caitlin
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-digital, romance
Cute story, if not totally original in its themes. The characters were likeable and I had no trouble identifying with them. The book itself was hard to put down. It's not an outrageously well-written book, but I'll probably add it to the re-read list.
RIF
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already forgotten but not terrible if I recall correctly. Meh
Veronica Lindsey
short, sweet romance
Monika
Fun and light. It was very predictable. No surprises whatsoever, but the characters were lovable, and it left me feeling all hunky dory inside. Best of all it was free.
Sati Howard
It was a free book so thought it worth a read on a long car journey. Very frothy and predictable.
Vonnie Alto
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reader won't be disappointed with this traditional Regency. It's an engrossing read with a tight plot and lots of conflict and humor. Izzy is a darling and Aunt Peaches is hysterical.
Elf Ahearn
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as I'm concerned, The Mudlark is the perfect Regency romance. It has charm, wit and a great love story. Anyone who loves the genre will be head over heels for this book.
Highland-dreamer
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun regency!
Anna
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little read. Humorous, fun. Well worth the bargain Kindle price.
Sarah Williams
Cute and free!!
Julie Johnson
This was a fun Regency romance. Loved the dialogue. A bit silly in places, but sometimes that's perfectly fine and I don't mind it a bit! Enjoyable, light read.
Susie
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The least trashy non-Christian free Kindle book I've ever read.
Soccergypsy
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy, nice, and enjoyable read. Laughed out loud while reading.
Ashley
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Free on kindle. A fun and witty historical romance.
brandi
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet regency freebie read with interesting characters.
Coleen Bost
Feb 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Hunger
  • The Deadliest Sin
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Swept Away
  • The World From Rough Stones
  • The Mistress' House
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Never a Bride
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Dawn of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #0.5)
  • A Man of Few Words
  • Whirl of the Wheel
  • The Tempest: A Gisborne Novel
  • Sunrise
I write write write. Sometimes I travel. Then I write some more. And I have a great family who understand that I write write write.
More about Delle Jacobs...