Start by marking “Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)

Shadow's Lure

(Shadow Saga #2)

The unforgiving Northlands . . .
In Othir, he was at the top of the food chain--an assassin beyond compare, a dark shadow in the night. But Caim left that life behind when he helped an empress claim her throne. And now his past has come calling again.
Searching for the truth behind the murder and disappearance of his parents, Caim discovers a land in thrall to the Shadow.
Published June 21st 2011 by Pyr (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow's Lure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow's Lure

Start your review of Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
seak
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, arc-review
I love assassins! I'll not go into the same discussion from my review of Shadow's Son, but by golly those guys are cool and Jon Sprunk is an assassin master.

Shadow's Lure is the second volume in the Shadow Saga as I mentioned before, beginning with Shadow's Son. It's full of assassins, magic, and tons of action. Did I mention TONS OF ACTION!

Shadow's Lure takes up the story almost directly after Shadow's Son. Caim, our fearless assassin, is headed north to the dangerous northlands, on a mission
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

In Caim of Shadow’s Son, Jon Sprunk created an assassin worthy of standing beside the likes of Brent Weeks’ Kylar Stern of the Night Angel Trilogy, Brandon Sanderson’s Kelsier of Mistborn, and Michael J. Sullivan’s Royce Melborn of the Riyria series. His story quickly becoming a sword and sorcery delight, filled with non-stop action, intense fighting, shadow magic, and thrills galore. And as the fiendish fun of devious plots, personal tragedy, and long denied
Kaora
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A decent fantasy read with a lot of action.

The pacing I felt was better than in the first book and I ended up enjoying this one more, but the writing still didn't quite wow me. Some of the dialogue is a bit off, and I can't say that I ever fully invested in the story.

Shadow's Lure follows two main characters, Josey and Caim, and while I didn't exactly love either of them I didn't hate them either. My favorite character by far was Kit, and we saw way too little of her in my opinion.

This ended on
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
[7/10]
This is the same rating I gave to Shadow's Son, the debut novel of author Jon Sprunk, so it is safe to say readers who liked the opening of the series, will enjoy the sequel. I find myself though, subtracting half a star instead of adding it, because this novel ramped up the violence and gore about ten times compared with the Shadow's Son, and this is usually a turnoff in my list of preferences.

Still, this is an easy read - which can be taken both as praise and criticism depending on the
Terry Simpson
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death, despair, political intrigue, sword and sorcery, plots intertwined within plots. Sinister characters who will stop at nothing to accomplish their goals, those who believe in the greater good and suffer for it, clans on the edge of eradication unless they succumb to the will of evil. In the middle again is our man Caim, now in the North, seeking out his past and his future, drawn by the very darkness and shadows that are his birthright. Kit, in love and torn away from her beloved Caim and ...more
N.E. White
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in Mr. Sprunk’s Shadow Saga, Shadow’s Lure delivers the same action-packed story as did the first in this series: Shadow’s Son (my review here).

After opening with the massacre of the Northmen clan leaders (body count is high in this book), the story pretty much picks up right after the events in the first book. Josey is Queen, reigning from the palace in Othir, struggling to ward off an unearthly assassin, the church of the True Faith, and keep her realm from falling apart with
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High Fantasy and Sci-fi fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: previous book
What happened to the plot? There was a major drop in the action.
 photo 11890994_10207607715811650_2644568586961008340_n_zpstkkoeia5.jpg

What in the world is going on with the magic system now? It seems that alot of it got muddled, and the main character seems to dependant on his guardian sprite. Also what in the world is going on with his love interest?
Justin

That link also has a giveaway of the first two books open through Nov 17, 2011.

Earlier this year I reviewed Jon Sprunk's 2010 debut novel, Shadow's Son. While I very much enjoyed it, my review was less than glowing. I felt some things were sacrificed to the novel's breakneck pace and that Caim, Spunk's protagonist, was a little too one-dimensional. In a not so stunning development, Shadow's Lure corrects many of these deficiencies and in so doing
Lexie
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-once-owned
I can say without hesitation that I enjoyed this book more so than the first. Maybe this is because Sprunk took more time to detail the world or because my two favorite characters (Josey and Kit) proved themselves more than Caim's match in dealing with the unknown.

Our Merry Band of Miscreants have gone in different ways after Caim's decision to head North (to help his people) and Josey became Empress of Nimea. I was relieved that Sprunk didn't spend too much time on Josey becoming acclimated to
Stacey O'Neale
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was completed by Michael Cummings, staff reviewer with the YA Fantasy Guide.

Shadow's Lure is the second book of Sprunk's Shadow Saga, following the debut of "Shadow's Son" last year (2010). In this volume, we return to Othir immediately after the events of "Shadow's Son" as Caim heads north, looking for answers to his past and the murder of his parents. What he finds is a land under the grip of the Shadow, personified in the witch Sybelle and the hints of shadow born magic that
Charlie Holmberg
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I hadn't initially intended to read the second book in this series, but I'm glad I did. A lot of series have the problem of diminishing quality with each additional book (ie The Hunger Games), but this one gets better. I liked this book more than the first (hence the extra star). I enjoyed the characters more (Josey especially has grown since book 1), and Sprunk does a good job of raising the stakes.

Cool things about this book included the blood-hungry sword, Caim's growing knowledge
K
Mar 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I thought I'd give the author one more try. Book 2 was even worse 'cause I REALLY didn't care what happened to the main character/assassin. He's wandering up in the war-torn north to sort of figure out who his parents are...maybe? I wasn't ever really sure. I don't think HE knew what the hell he was doing. Oh, and there is a not-at-all-surprise twist of a pregnancy. Look, if you're going to club us over the head with clues, then it's not going to be a shock when you reveal it. And while I ...more
Todd
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I always enjoy any viking inspired cultures . The separate plots were interestingly well done, providing two conflicts one in the north and one in the south. Then POV chapters following an antagonist is always an interesting way to make the reader omnipresent. I enjoyed this book.
Lynn
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this every bit as much as Shadow's Son, and am looking forward to the next adventure in this series. Bonus: read this on the beach in St. Thomas.
Anton Morris
Shadow’s Lure is the second in Jon Sprunk’s Shadow Saga. This series of a half human assassin deals with Caim, the protagonist, and his intense effort to discover the truth regarding himself and his parents. He learned long ago, as a child, that he had a connection to the shadows that come from a parallel universe of sorcery to his aide in times of extreme danger. In the second part of the story, he calls to these shadows frequently to assist him in battles where the odds are drastically favored ...more
J.W. Parente
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Rohit
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 20%.

I don't get easily attached to books, and dropping mediocre ones has become an almost daily occurrence. The question of whether I finish a novel or not comes down to a battle between the author and my attention span. You can probably guess from my rating who won this bout. Why? Well it simply comes to down my boredom with the characters. They'd already finished their character arc and the development and tension left for them was shallow and uninteresting.

Opening up the world is a
Anne-Marie Noble
This book was like the first one, I wish it was written better, and the dialogues made more sense. The plot at the end started to get exciting, although the rest was the usual: Caim was killing people despite bleeding from sixteen mortal wounds while Zefi was having a bunch of problems until after 300 pages she figured out she can deal with them even if she couldn't for the entire book. It was a nice and light reading tho, onwards to the third book.
Joey Stettnisch
Didn't enjoy this one so much. The plot felt very underdeveloped when compared to it's predecessor. Not bad by any means, just doesn't grab and hold you like the first novel.
Cindy
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was a big fan of “Shadow’s Son”, Jon Sprunk’s debut assassins novel, so when I got the second book, “Shadow’s Lure” and the last part of the trilogy “Shadow’s Master” in the mail, some neighbors might have seen me do an elaborate happy-dance. After finishing “Shadow’s Lure”, I feel even more lucky to have received these from Pyr, so a big thank you is in order here. The second part of Caim’s story was, just as the first one, a joy to read. And here’s why:

Jon Sprunk is a fabulous writer. The
Melissa Hayden
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Caim's traveling to the snow covered rebellious North to see if he can find "her" or more about "her" as Levictus mentioned at the end of Shadow's Son she was up North somewhere. The land he left when he was eight after that horrid night that haunts Caim's dreams still. Caim travels light, with his usual weapons, the dark sword that was waiting for him at Kas's cabin, and the personal journal of Arch-priest Vassili. Caim finds himself fighting with untrained men at his back, yet still alone as ...more
Donna
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find myself really enjoying this series despite the fact that this particular book was chock full of pain and death at pretty much every turn. I did long for a little bit of a reprieve from it because Caim or Josey always seemed to be some experiencing level of hurt but it didn’t detract me too much from the story. It just became a little much.

I liked how it alternated between the two storylines and kept Josey involved in Caim’s quest to find himself while keeping her story almost wholly
Goran Zidar
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable book to read. In some ways you could say that I would be biased in favour of it given my own fondness for having an assassin as the main character. That may be the reason I first picked up the series, it is certainly not the reason I kept reading it. Caim – the main protaganist – might have been an assassin in book one, but in this novel he is a young man who is in search for answers about his past. And it is a difficult search where he becomes an often unwilling ...more
Alek Cristea
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shadow’s Lure was a book I had been waiting for since I sunk my teeth into the excellent Shadow’s Son. Much like Caim, I couldn’t wait to travel North in search of answers to all the questions present in the first book. As Shadow’s Lure is the second book in Jon Sprunk’s trilogy, I didn’t, however, expect to get all answers and I was ready for a long and bloody journey, with a path littered with bloody fights and ever increasing danger.

I wasn’t disappointed.

Caim has left for the North, with Kit
L.K. Evans
I picked up the second book the Shadow Saga series because I found the first so incredibly entertaining and I was still in a place where I needed pure entertainment.

In this second book, we follow Caim as he travels to find his roots and we also follow Josey’s story which takes us through treachery and the building of a new empire.

As with the first, I absolutely loved the shadows and how Caim used them. It was just as engaging to me and even more so than the first. We had a few more side plots
Kati
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Blodeuedd Finland
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
My thoughts:

I know I have been raving over a lot of fantasy books lately but who could blame me, it is the best genre in the whole world, and when I love I love.

This is then book two and Caim has left the city to go and search for clues about his past. Why was his father and everyone else killed? Is his mother alive and who took her? So he goes north, a land troubled by shadows and strife and he will learn more about why he can command shadows. The book is also about Josey who is now empress and
Becky Hoffman
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I finally brought myself to finish this series, and the second book was very entertaining as it was constantly moving with all the different plots and what not.

*May contain spoilers* (but very very small spoilers that you will figure out on your own anyway and none of them are giving away the ending)

First we follow Caim as he's just wandering around the country-side, still talking about how everyone doesn't like him or trust him and he continues to pine after Josey.

Josey on the other hand, is
Clare
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So basically, this is how it goes. I doubted that Shadow's Lure would be able to meet the extremely high standard set by Sprunk's first novel, Shadow's Son, but I was wrong. So completely wrong. Talk about a novel that just goes BAM! BAM! BAM! Piling the action on until you think it's all going to come crashing down. I once read in a a book called, “Everything I Know About Writing” that it isn't good to have a novel that is constantly rising in suspense because usually the author can't keep the ...more
Stephen Deighan
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I went straight from the first volume of Sprunk's Shadow Trilogy, Shadow's Son, into this book. Shadow's Lure picks up the storyline shortly after the events of book one, exploring Josey's initial, danger-ridden days as Empress of Nimea and Caim's jounrey North to discover the fate of his mother. We are treated to a deeper understanding of the "Lord's of Shadow" and Caim's own relationship to the Shadowlands. We also get a number of chapters from Kit's perspective which are very enjoyable, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bared Blade (Fallen Blade, #2)
  • Crossed Blades (Fallen Blade, #3)
  • Blade Reforged (Fallen Blade, #4)
  • Drawn Blades (Fallen Blade, #5)
  • The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, #1)
  • Broken Blade (Fallen Blade, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Spare Heir, #1)
  • Darkened Blade (Fallen Blade #6)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • Provenance (Spellscribed #1)
  • Path of Fire (Saga of The Wolf Book 3)
  • Supers: Ex Heroes 3 (Supers: Ex Heroes #3)
  • Supers: Ex Heroes 2 (Supers: Ex Heroes #2)
  • The Blood Debt (Wolf of the North #3)
  • Supers: Ex Heroes 1 (Supers: Ex Heroes #1)
  • Ascension (Spellscribed, #2)
  • Path of Tears (Saga of The Wolf Book 2)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
Fantasy author living in central Pennsylvania. I love to travel (especially places with old ruins), watch football (American NFL, not that soccer stuff), drink (rum and coke, preferred), and enjoy life.

Shadow Saga (3 books)
  • Shadow's Son (Shadow Saga, #1)
  • Shadow's Master (Shadow Saga, #3)