Start by marking “Una cosa difficile come l'amore” as Want to Read:
Una cosa difficile come l'amore

Una cosa difficile come l'amore

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,232 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Rick e Sheryl sono adolescenti e innamorati, ma appartengono a due mondi distanti: lei è nata in una famiglia borghese di Long Island, tutta villette a schiera e praticelli ben tenuti, lui è un piccolo teppista con alle spalle una famiglia difficile. Forse per questo i genitori di Sheryl non vedono di buon occhio la storia d’amore tra i due, e quando lei resta incinta le i ...more
Published 2008 by Terre di Mezzo (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Una cosa difficile come l'amore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Una cosa difficile come l'amore

Bradley
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is an old standby of mine. I reread it yet again over the weekend. Indeed, it feels like a favorite song from the very first line:

"When he came to claim her, he stood on the short lawn before her house, his knees bent, his fists driven into his thighs, and bellowed her name with such passion that even the friends who surrounded him, who had come to support him, to drag her from the house, to murder her family if they had to, let the chains they carried go limp in their hands."

That Nig
Amy
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hunted down this out-of-print book for a while before I got my hands on a "brand new" copy, and I was a little disappointed. I made the mistake of seeing (and loving) the movie first; in fact it was on HBO all the time when I was about the narrator's age on "that night," and I would watch it repeatedly. I haven't seen it in about 15 years, and one day it just occurred to me to read the book. I thought there would be drama and romance and a lot more about the relationship between Sheryl and Ali ...more
Dan Phillips
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I read McDermott's Charming Billy years ago, and even though I couldn't tell you a single plot point from that novel, after reading one page of That Night, I felt a familiar hush and tingle. McDermott writes the kind of sentences that make you want to linger and savor them - deliberately crafted, yet with an effortless feel. It's a quality of voice she shares with my wife, actually...

As for the story, it reminded me a bit of The Virgin Suicides. Only the narrator of That Night is a woman who's r
Joan Winnek
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading everything by Alice McDermott I can get my hands on, and this early novel did not disappoint. Both sad and funny. Wonderful writing. The chapter just before the beginning of Part Two, pp. 107-114 in the hardback edition, contains one of the funniest conversations ever, and bunch of children sharing their inaccurate knowledge of how a pregnancy occurs.
Megan Baxter
I think this is now the fourth Alice McDermott book I've read. I question why, since they aren't ones I have loved. Then again, it may be because I first read some of her more recent works, that I quite enjoyed, while what's crossed my reading list lately are her first two books, and I definitely don't like them as much.

In the meantime, you can r
Benjy
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't fully explain why but this is probably favorite book I've read in the past year or so. I'm still troubled by how the narration works (there's no way she can know much of what she tells) and sometimes the fragmentation would push me out of the proper headspace. But the language! The little vignettes that could stand on their own as wholly satisfying reading experiences! Everyone has experienced teen angst and yet this book enabled this reader to experience it freshly and as a source of ex ...more
Martha
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had this book on a shelf for a while and picked it up because I didn't have a library book and thought it would bridge the time until one came in. What a surprise this little book packed! I couldn't put it down once I started. The author mixes large, profound themes with ordinary life, permeating barriers like the walls of houses, even the walls of lives and individual thought with a narrative that floats like a ghost over an ordinary suburban neighborhood of the 1960s. Love, death, longing, ...more
Dianeparente62gmail.com
An intriguing book for those of a certain age who remember when, who experienced summer life in the New York suburbs in the early 60's. The story revolves around two star-crossed teenagers whose burdensome back- grounds draw them into love, sex and pregnancy at which point they are governed by outside forces. "That Night" refers to the night unlike any night when the boyfriend and his tough guy friends arrive at the girlfriend's house, demanding to see her. She has been shipped out of town and t ...more
BlackOxford
Floreat Suburbia

I lived in this neighbourhood at this point in history. And I never thought the cultural desolation and dislocation that I remember of that time and place could be redeemed. Alice McDermott in That Night and in Charming Billy has given me cause to doubt my existential prejudices. Perhaps the treeless, soulless streets of 1950's NYC suburbs provide material of general worth to ponder. As of now I am amazed at McDermott's ability to simply describe what the time and place were lik
Caroline Cottom
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a delight to read. I was charmed by it. I loved the structure, with the entire book turning on "that night," everything moving backward or forward from that event. I also loved McDermott's writing, which I find hard to describe. She writes with a light touch, using fresh, unexpected descriptions. After I read the book, I went to some of my other favorite books to compare the writing styles. McDermott won, hands down.
Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
I saw the movie of this on TV like, a really long time ago. I want to watch it now, since I remember nothing about it, but there's no way I'm paying $20 for a VHS tape.

Anyway, I just found out about the book. And my library has it. *REQUESTED*
Harriet
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so moved by this novel, the way it grows so quietly, and spreads among various points of view, various characters, so that you go deeper and deeper into the story of one night. Her deftness with voice stuns me, and I'm trying to learn from it.
David
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems a bit like a stereotype that was just written up as opposed to fleshed out, but it has a charm that makes up for that somewhat. I would have like It differentiated from the generic more, but I still enjoyed reading it quite a bit. I have to admit that.
Ananya
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
there were/are more pressing matters in the world than an over-sexualized teenage girl - even in the 60s
David Gallin-Parisi
Found myself re-reading pages 35-55 and felt everything was too repeated, boring, and dazed. I did not enjoy this book at first. McDermott writes with really long sentences, using lots of commas and junctions from clause to clause. Then I decided to read this like a diary, and enjoy the long sentences. They're attempts to describe everything, from a person's perspective who sees almost everything there is to see. Views from one night in a small suburb, the events that led up to that night, and t ...more
Valerie
That Night is a novel that focused mainly on one violent night in a suburban community in the early sixties. When Sheryl is suddenly shipped off to live with her aunt and uncle due to an unplanned pregnancy, her boyfriend Rick and his friends (in an attempt to rescue her) clash with the older generation of the neighborhood as their children watch.

Told mostly through the viewpoint of 10-year-old Alice (one of Sheryl's neighbors) at different points in her life, the novel's telling branches off f
Beth
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story broke my heart a little bit.

It takes place in early the early '60s in a post-war suburb. Beyond the story of lost innocence and lost love, the longing for things to remain the same is heart-wrenching and maddening at the same time.

The easy judgmental attitudes of the families in their cookie-cutter homes is very familiar to me. The bonding through scandalous events is both small-minded and validating. The need to substitute something, anything, for that which has been lost is unders
Lisa
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-major
Erin, I know this isn't your usual style but I think you'd enjoy it. It's short, gripping, and extremely well written. The action (boy meets girl, boy looses girl) is narrated by a neighbor girl who is 10 on That Night, and the picture of childhood through her eyes reminds me a little of Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine. But the narrator also gives us glimpses of her grown-up life and how things turned out for her family and other families in their neighborhood. The book is full of reflections on w ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A masterpiece. I wish I'd read this book this morning when I was still able to write coherently instead of midnight when I'm in the last seven hours of a twenty-four hour read-a-thon.

I loved the way the author switches from first person singular narrator to first person plural narrator in the story. I also loved the way the author provides little glimpses of the future for the characters who pop into the narrative. These give the story a big vision both broad and yet full of disappointment.
Padraic
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-loved
I hung up on this woman once. She's a wonderful writer, and a nice human being - even if you hang up on her. I read this while working at the Westport Public Library, the first serious work of literary fiction I read since bombing out of grad school ten years earlier. Her evocation of growing up in the Catholic suburbs, and of long summer evenings dominated by the sounds of parents and kids, made me realize I didn't hate literature, despite failing at academia. Thank you, Alice.
Roanna
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Alice McDermott and Wow! She is truly an amazing writer! How can a simple story with a simple premise be this beautifully written and moving? I devoured every sentence. I love her ability to make a simple event extremely extraordinary without being overly done by her amazing writing. They were just perfect. I find myself going back and repeating some phrases. I cannot wait to read her other books!
Kim
I'm not sure how this ended up in my 'to read' list. I think it was one of those cases of 'if you like this book then you'll like THIS book'... well, I really didn't. It might be that I just came off a book that I really really did like, but this didn't capture me at all. I read it because of the investment of starting it more than anything. I don't think that the writing is horrid or anything, but the story just didn't capture my attention all that much.
Jane
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Having grown up in the 50's just a little before the days of hotrods, pegged pants, teased hair, too much makeup, and lotsa, lotsa burning love, I feel a great sense of nostalgia after reading this book, a little gem about the effect of teen love on the residents of a neighborhood in suburbia. Very romantic, and yet very sad.
Christiane
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an early Alice McDermott (1987) book which I missed somehow, until a website of favorite books urged me to read it. I do believe this is a perfect novel. It is short (I read it in two days), compelling, and beautifully written.
Of course, I remember, and relate, to this era--perhaps a younger generation would not truly understand it.
Bonnie Moore
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this little book. I like Alice McDermott. I read "Charming Billy" a few years ago and liked it.
Christopher MacMillan
Clearly inspired by other doomed teen romances like "Rebel Without a Cause" and "West Side Story", Alice McDermott's "That Night" is the story of a teen pregnancy, and the series of events this sets into motion against the backdrop of suburban America.

The book takes place in the early 1960s, and one hot summer's evening - as we see through the eyes of the young girl who lives across the street - a hoodlum named Rick and his fellow troublemakers show up on the front lawn of Rick's girlfriend Sher
Elizabeth A.
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this was McDermott's second novel and thus an older work, it still exhibits her talent and powerful ability to recount a period in time. THAT NIGHT refers to an incident involving two teenagers living in a Long Island neighborhood. When Sheryl becomes pregnant, her lover Rick organizes his gang of friends to drive past her house as a warning--he wants her. She should be allowed to leave her home and be with him. But after hours of the slow drive-by, the cars veer onto the neatly landscape ...more
Nicole
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really more of a 3.8

Different than the movie, yet no less amazing and lovely and deserving of that knowledge. It is not that the book, while written before the film, is better because of its presence in the order of things nor is the movie better because perhaps it gives a bit more of want our hearts long for, rather they are both equally on par with being romantic and tragic within each's own right.

The book is well written, captivating, a sort of beautiful tragedy that is life.
It's the kind
Alta
Alice McDermott is one of the greatest contemporary American writers, and "That Night" is one of the best novels on teenage love I ever read.
Thais
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wish Goodreads had a half star option, because this book is a perfect example of a 4 1/2 stars. It came pretty close to being a masterpiece, in fact, I'd say the first part was one. The second part confused - not in the sense that it didn't make sense, but that the constant shifts in POV didn't seem to have as strong a sense of purpose as the first part. It was a little bit as if the book was just filling in the blanks for us. I'm pretty sure I didn't breathe all through the first part ...more
  • The Manikin
  • American Woman
  • An Unfinished Season
  • Mean Spirit
  • Servants of the Map
Alice McDermott (born June 27, 1953) is Johns Hopkins University's Writer-in-Residence. Born in Brooklyn, New York, McDermott attended St. Boniface School in Elmont, Long Island, NY [1967], Sacred Heart Academy in Hempstead NY [1971], the State University of New York at Oswego, receiving her BA in 1975, and later received her MA from the University of New Hampshire in 1978.

She has taught at the UC
More about Alice McDermott...
“The story she then told was as all attempts at sympathy are: an effort to match in form and size and detail what another has known: to hold one experience next to another the way lovers and children match fingers and hands, as if these two, side by side, are linked by their likeness, are both identical and unique.” 0 likes
“That night when he came to claim her, he stood on the short lawn before her house, his knees bent, his fists driven into his thighs, and bellowed her name with such passion that even the friends who surrounded him, who had come to support him, to drag her from the house, to murder her family if they had to,” 0 likes