Start by marking “Writing a Book That Makes a Difference” as Want to Read:
Writing a Book That Makes a Difference

Writing a Book That Makes a Difference

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Why did Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes, a memoir of his poverty-stricken childhood, touch millions? Why did John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and Upton Sinclair's The Jungle incite social change and become literary classics? Why did Sebastian Yunger's real-life adventure A Perfect Storm leap onto the bestseller list? In this book, Philip Gerard analyzes books that made ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Story Press Books (first published February 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Writing a Book That Makes a Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing a Book That Makes a Difference

John Maberry
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If the title fits ....
Shelves: on-writing
No instruction manual can really tell you how your book should be written. In fact, many can dull your senses and arouse doubts in your mind about structure, organization and other aspects of how you want to tell your story. Nonetheless, desiring to do exactly what the title of this book describes, "writing a book that makes a difference," I found it very useful in stimulating my thinking. It helped rather than hindered my choices, although, as I suggested, it really couldn't tell me what I need ...more
Kimmarie Rojas
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
"Writing a Book That Makes A Difference" is a natural sequel to Gerard's "Creative Non-Fiction", and I first read it for a non-fiction project. On my fourth Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month)contest, I prepared first by re-reading the relevant first four chapters, which brought me through the pre-writing stage. Many of the exercises suggested by Gerard at the end of each chapter were helpful in defining my topic and point of view.

Having completed the "nano" draft, I am now applying the co
Ian
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to-write
This was probably the best book I've read on the act of writing itself. Perhaps Gerard's philosophy simply coincides with mine, but I found his descriptions of how to approach a large-scale writing project rational, and his exercises at the end of each chapter worthwhile. It was also useful when he explained the techniques of various authors as examples of his points.
Jacqueline Landry
Jul 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-research
Another book on writing that changed both how I view my work, and how I craft my stories before they ever reach the page. This is a must-read for all writers.
Sharon Warner
Mar 01, 2015
Barbara Gregorich
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I enjoyed this book and think that the advice within can in many cases pertain to simply writing a book — not just writing a book that makes a difference. I particularly liked the chapters on Subject and Point of View, Discovering Themes as You Write, and Developing Theme.
Sarra