Start by marking “The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History” as Want to Read:
The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

The Decolonial Imaginary: Writing Chicanas Into History

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
"The Decolonial Imaginary is a smart, challenging book that disrupts a great deal of what we think we know... it will certainly be read seriously in Chicano/a studies." --Women's Review of Books

Emma Perez discusses the historical methodology which has created Chicano history and argues that the historical narrative has often omitted gender. She poses a theory which rejects
Published September 1st 1999 by Indiana University Press (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Decolonial Imaginary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decolonial Imaginary

Samhita
Excellent, excellent foray into the art of feminist historiography. She problematizes how we understand the post-colonial and argues we are not in a post-colonial state, but must take ourselves with the process of decolonizing. She does this through archival research of Chicana women. Brilliant and probably one book that has had the most impact on my writing and research than any other.
Nicolas Shump
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another important revisionist text. Perez is of the generation of third world feminists who want to be both feminists and members of their particular ethnic community (Chicana for Perez).
The idea of "decolonizing" history is part of a larger project occurring throughout academia and the larger world outside the ivory tower.
Mona Kareem
This is a great book on 'writing Chicanas into history' but also as a framework to think of history and the exclusion of women. The writer says, I paraphrase: voices of women survive, they are not silent, but they are just unheard.
Sean Endymion
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Dense, but interesting. I read parts, then put it aside.
Oren Whightsel
May 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theory
provides valuable alternatives to hegemonic historiography
Cristina
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She is amazing. I learned so much from this book. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Stephanie McClure