Start by marking “Providence (Providence, #1)” as Want to Read:
Providence (Providence, #1)

Providence

(Providence #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  26,815 ratings  ·  1,874 reviews
Struggling with her father's death, Nina meets Jared Ryel, presumably by chance. However it soon becomes clear that he knows more about her than even close friends. When her father's former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father was not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. In searching for the truth behind her fath ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Jamie McGuire LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Providence, please sign up.
Rose Hi Adelina! Yes, it is available in ebook format! :) Here is the link for it on amazon. I don't know if you'd rather purchase it on iBooks or somethin…moreHi Adelina! Yes, it is available in ebook format! :) Here is the link for it on amazon. I don't know if you'd rather purchase it on iBooks or something else. http://www.amazon.com/Providence-Book...(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Book Boyfriends
9,043 books — 27,946 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
College Romance
1,450 books — 8,751 voters

More lists with this book...

·  26,815 ratings  ·  1,874 reviews

Start your review of Providence (Providence, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
description

Okay Heather, calm down, it wasn't really that bad was it??

Yes it freaking was! 500 pages of crappy bad Twilight fan fic! I can't believe I wasted so much time!

Yes but you loved "Beautiful Disaster"? Isn't this by the same author?

Very true, I did like "Beautiful Disaster". But maybe I 'm just sick of stalker-boy insta-love YA romances!? I mean Jared was spouting creepy I love yous and making Nina her favorites meals at their first real date. He knew all of her preferences and likes a
Erin
Jamie McGuire, you have done it again, girl!!! I had this on my kindle for months and wasn't sure what exactly what it was about (that's what I get for adding books to my TBR without fully reading the summary). I'd been wanting to start it because I know I love Jamie's writing style, and I'm SO glad I finally picked it up!!

Providence gives us Nina, a student at Brown University who's dad has just passed away. The day of her dad's funeral, she happens to meet Jared Ryel, a kind and dreamy strang
Nancy
A toast! To finally finishing this book.
It took me forever. It's never ending. *relieved sigh* But I did it.

"You have feelings for me?" His face fell. "I still can't get you out of my head."

"I want you safe. I want you happy. I'm figuring out the rest."

I had very high expectations for this book. HIGH. Sadly, I just did not love it. It irritated me beyond reason. I was either rolling my eyes, huffing in annoyance, or arguing with the pages. Seriously.
I was really looking forward to thi
Aestas Book Blog
Nov 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: top-tbr
Sooo I found this picture online and then some people though it looked like a good casting pic for the hero from this series which is making me REALLY WANT TO BUMP THEM UP MY TO-READ LIST cuz holyyyyy hotness!!!!

Sita
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mellow and others...
I really don’t know how to describe this book. I picked this up because I loved Beautiful Disaster and I mean LOVED! I read it so many times it was a little ridiculous. Near obsession. Back to this book… I actually had to go on a huge search for this one; I could not find it anywhere. Not in the shops, not in the library, not online. I ended up buying it on I-tunes, to read on my I-phone. Let me tell you now, such a pain! My hands hurt by the end of finishing each chapter and the screen kept mov ...more
Abbi Glines
Nov 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
ADORED!
Jacqueline's Reads
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 Angel Saving Stars

Re-read Audio version. I love audio books. I love audio books even more when I re-read my favorite reads. It’s like you are experiencing everything for the first time and with DOUBLE the emotions.

If you have read this series or want to re-read this series. The AUDIO version is the perfect way to go.

Providence=swoon

I have kissed boys, some of those boys more than once, who never have kissed like that.

That’s because you kissed boys, sweetheart

It’s a mysterious, intr
Megan
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nook-book, pnr
This story starts with Nina losing her father. Her loving, perfect, doting father, who would like totally never, never, ever do anything wrong. *hint* *hint*

Very quickly Nina meets the mysterious Jared. But, like, if Nina and Jared are in love the world will end plus lots of other bad stuff will happen.

Insert tons of awkward writing such as,

"Jared's expression turned intense, as if he was moved beyond words by my simple honesty."

"I stretched my legs over Jared's lap and chewed happily on his a
samantha  Bookworm-on-rainydays
My first paranormal romance read this year and I loved every chapter. Jamie is really great at taking you on a journey and keeping you hanging on every word.
Christy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another really good series, like this author a lot
Autumn
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh...why do i bother? I will tell you why. The book had a very interesting concept. The ways in which this story could go blew my mind, and then I read it. It would have gone in a DNF pile, but I have a flaw, maybe even fatal, and that is that I have to finish a book. No matter how bad it is, or seems, I must continue the slow torture of trudging on. I know other people that do this, and that is why some of them are my best friends. However, anyway, back to the book. There have been Twilight co ...more
Rose
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one looking for an invigorating read tbh.
Recommended to Rose by: Kindle suggested reads
Soapbox Review to come. Oh, I have a few words to spare about this book, and not so much in the measure that it offended me in the way that Nina Malkin's "Swoon" did, but I think the tone of this review might be similar to that one.

I'm just going to be blunt about my experience reading his book - the long and short of it - I thought it was decidedly mediocre. On one hand, I knew what I was getting into, considering it's a story about a paranormal romantic fictitious pairing, but there are tons o
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Though this book is completely opposite from Beautiful Disaster, the beautifully talented writing is exactly the same. Who needs vampires and werewolves when you have an extremely hot half angel bodyguard who is unconditionally in love with you and completely devoted to keeping you safe (even though it does make Jared appear to be a little bit whipped at times). I fell in love with this book from the start. One of the things I liked most was that it took place in college which is very rare for a ...more
Nicole Williams
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Man, I can't decide if I liked Providence or Beautiful Disaster better . . . both were phenomenal. This was a sweet love story, very romantic, and action packed. If you're a paranormal fan and enjoy a sigh-worthy love story, you should check Providence out, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Just bought the sequel and can't wait to read it. ...more
Tee
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Linda
*Possible spoiler alert*

It's pretty safe to say I've found myself a new favorite author.

I read this book on my Kindle but I'm going to have to buy it because I want it, in my hands! To maybe hug, I'm not sure...
I just love the way Jamie writes, it's so captivating and intriguing. And when there's drama and action going on, you really sit on the edge of your seat! She had me quite worried there towards the end...
I totally love the entire environment she created in this one and every single pers
Markéta
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!****

My first book written by Jamie McGuire and I have to say that I get why she's so popular! It was good. I'm not saying that it was perfect and I loved every single thing about it but it was good, gripping and both romantic, sad and funny.

Nina's sad had just died when she meets a handsome stranger (obviously nobody told that "stranger-danger" thing). He gives her a ride home and after that she wishes that she's meet him again. And wham. She meets him again. And again. And again..

Jared
Amber’s reading
The story was chock full of holes and seemed so rushed at times, I would go back and read entire pages thinking I’d missed something. One minute the characters would be talking in a room somewhere and the next second they’d be in a car. The pacing was completely off. There wasn’t a lot of transitions. I felt like I had to be psychic to figure it out.

I understand that the paranormal aspect of a book is going to be unbelievable - since it’s paranormal. But almost all the other aspects of this stor
Shelly Crane
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with me some Jared....... :)
AJ
This book has been on my TBR forever, and being a big fan of Jamie McGuire’s (well, a massive fan of Beautiful Disaster, to be honest), I was keen to see what she did with a PNR.

The paranormal element is interesting, and I really liked the premise of the relationship, and I can absolutely see why so many people love this book, but it fell a bit flat for me.

First and foremost - I love Jared. He is the paranormal part of this paranormal romance, and he is such a good guy! He is brave, and protec
Jane Stewart
It wasn’t interesting enough. I wanted it to be over. Annoying heroine stupidity.

PARANORMAL SET-UP:
It wasn’t made clear, but I believe a small number of people in the world have a protector-guardian angel. Jack was wealthy and had many enemies. Gabe was Jack’s guardian angel. Gabe was like a secret agent with super powers. When Jack is killed in a car accident, Gabe died shortly after. Angels die when their taleh (their protectee) dies. Previously, Gabe married a human Lillian. They had three ch
Lis
Also Found On: A Book and A Record

Let me start by saying that one of my goodreads friends (Cindy over at Once Upon a Time Book Reviews – click our link to her site, she’s great!) was really excited about this book, and though my TBR list on my Kindle is hovering somewhere around 110 titles, I knew that this one was going get pushed to the top. I’m so glad that it did! So thank you, Cindy, for getting so excited about such a fun read!
Providence is a really amazing blend that has slight elements o
Gailda
Jul 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am honestly confused by the high praise for this book! Having never read 'Beautiful Disaster', I had no expectations for this book. It turns out that somehow, this book cannot even beat my complete lack of expectation (which is truly saying something, because I have read some horrendous YA fiction in my time)

From what I have read of this book (I could only tolerate 1/3 of the book until I couldn't stand it anymore), it's full of what I dislike about YA fiction.

1. A boring protagonist
Meet Nina,
Kristy Mills
Ok I have to be honest. I started this book with some pretty high expectations. I was looking for another Beautiful Disaster. But part way through the book i realized I didn't want another BD, not really. I wanted a book that would provoke the same feelings BD did. I can't say this book did that exactly, but it was still a great book. In fact I would have loved it more had I not been comparing it to BD so much I think.

OK enough babbling, I loved it. I read reviews before reading it and so some o
The BookWhisperer
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Providence was yet another brilliant display of Jamie McGuires raw talent. My first introduce to her works was with the title Beautiful Disaster, and it was a amazing and thrilling story that I have revisited since. McGuire is a amazing author with the ability to combine sweet and simple characters with remarkable story lines. Everytime I have the opportunity to read works by this author I am astounded and awestruck with her ability to create breath taking romances. These are the stories that re ...more
Jessica Buwalda
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Alright, so I had high expectations after reading Beautiful Disaster and the book did not fail. The book doesn’t come off the same way as it does through reading the synopsis. Be warned it doesn’t feel like a novel about Heaven and Hell and Demons. No the majority of this novel is a romance. One guy has who has always been around and one girl who never knew it. And the things is you fall in love with Jared from about…well I wouldn’t say the first time you meet him but maybe the second. At first ...more
RuthAnn
So I know that I've lamented a few times that authors keep writing to the same YA formula, and on a few occasions, I've even begged them to stop. But here's the thing--it's like Big Oil. If consumers are going to keep paying money for gasoline (read: same YA shit) then the oil companies are going to keep manufacturing it and not put a lot of time and effort into exploring new sources of renewable energy.

So while I might bitch that Providence had every single YA cliche that I've grown tired of, a
Lucia
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal
It has been quite long since I read proper YA book and this one was absolutely fantastic! Providence is sweet paranormal story with interesting twists and plenty of action.

I was drawn into the story from first chapter and I enjoyed it from the begining to the end. Whole story was beautifully written, gradally building up from chapter to chapter until the very dramatic and cliff-hanging end.

The storyline focuses on young woman Nina and mysterious Jared who suddenly enters her life. Jared was ab
Kelli C
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OMG...sucked in. i love this! could not put it down. Jared is amazing...completely swoon worthy. i cannot get the image of amazingly hot angel standing in the rain, bursting with Love for his Taleh!!! ahhhhhhh. i am already on book 2!
Feminista
I have to admit, I am surprised. This book has pretty good ratings, but not many people comment on how poorly it is written. The basic creative writing skills that we learn, is for the better part absent from this book. Where is the description?

All I am reading is that she did this, he did that and lots of dialogue, dialogue, dialogue. Will it cause the author too much trouble to describe the characters in detail? Other than the fact that Kim has caramel coloured hair. I mean, that's literally a
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Half human/angel guardian over a girl whose father dies. Spoilers ahead. [s] 6 595 Mar 27, 2018 11:26AM
Booktastic Bookah...: June 2017-Providence by Jamie McGuire 6 6 Jun 28, 2017 06:59PM
Around the Year i...: Providence, by Jamie McGuire 2 16 Dec 30, 2016 04:43AM
Anyone read this yet? 6 24 Nov 05, 2015 03:43AM
/Favorite quote or part of this book? 8 151 Oct 05, 2014 01:10PM
Lovers of Paranor...: Providence 11 34 Aug 15, 2014 06:43PM

• Ceaseless (Existence, #3)
  • Predestined (Existence, #2)
  • Existence (Existence, #1)
  • Leif (Existence, #2.5)
  • The Redemption of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence, #2)
  • Accordance (Significance, #2)
  • Breakable (Contours of the Heart, #2)
  • Seducing the Bridesmaid (Wedding Dare, #3)
  • Defiance (Significance, #3)
  • Kiss Me Slow
  • Significance (Significance, #1)
  • Be with Me (Wait for You, #2)
  • Flight (The Crescent Chronicles, #1)
  • Best Man with Benefits (McCade Brothers #3; Wedding Dare #4)
  • Playing with Fire
  • Fresh Meat (Supernatural, #11)
  • Cold Fire (Supernatural, #13)
  • Doctor Who: The Silent Stars Go By & Touched by an Angel
Jamie McGuire was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She attended Northern Oklahoma College, the University of Central Oklahoma, and Autry Technology Center where she graduated with a degree in Radiography.

Jamie paved the way for the New Adult genre with the international bestseller Beautiful Disaster. Her follow-up novel, Walking Disaster, debuted at #1 on the New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Jou

Providence (4 books)
  • Requiem (Providence, #2)
  • Eden (Providence, #3)
  • Sins of the Immortal: A Novella (The Providence Series Book 5)