Start by marking “A Girl Like You” as Want to Read:
A Girl Like You

A Girl Like You

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  13,014 Ratings  ·  697 Reviews

After breaking up with her boyfriend of, well, forever, Abigail Wood must learn how to be single from scratch. Her dating skills are abysmal, and she ricochets from disaster to disaster – until Robert, one of London's most notorious lotharios, agrees to coach her. With his advice, s
Published January 1st 2011 by Avon Books

Inge
1. Be cool
2. Be detached
3. Act brutal
4. Stay in control
5. Bulletproof
6. Always leave them before they leave you.

After being in a relationship for 7 years, Abigail is back on the market and completely lost. She doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing and starts taking dating advice from her womanising flatmate Robert. With these 6 tips in mind and a little help from her friends, she goes out into the dating world and acts like a dude. Apparently, this is the key to success. Everything is going very
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 7/5/2015: Lowered rating to 2 stars. I've been thinking it over and it doesn't deserve a three.

You know 'em, you love 'em, welcome to the stage Nice Natalie and Cynical Natalie!

Nice Natalie: It's been a while since we've been called upon to do a review.

Cynical Natalie: Because Ms. Monroe was a lazy ass and didn't take notes. So now we have to do her dirty work.

Nice Natalie: Oh, come now. It's only because she doesn't know what to feel towards A Girl Like You.

Cynical Natalie: Well, I know e
Silvia
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Recommended to Silvia by: Elena
Is that..Is that an angel singing out there? Yep, I guess it is.

So, now I'm gonna add a few gifs, just to let you know (see) how I felt troughout the book.

Let's say, 15% done:

description

I was a little disappointed. Confused. I didn't like it.

30% done:
description

And I was like: mmmh, let's see what happens next.

55% done:

I WANT MORE I WANT MORE.

New Year's Eve's kiss:

THE Hong Kong Kiss and..Well:

Robert's final wedding speech:

IT WAS SO PERFECT.
Mona
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I cried. I don't wanna talk about it.

I love this book. I LOL'd. I rolled around the bed one week so obsessed by the book by the time I finished reading it small rodents had settled into my hair and were debating expanding the nest to a small condo and I had gained 5 pounds from nibbling on whatever I came across in the house.(which, as nibblers know, is never good.)

Again, I cried. I said I don't wanna talk about it, but it should be mentioned that they were happy tears. I don't often get happy t
Delirious Disquisitions
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I just finished reading this book...and after all the back pain,the countless hours of sleep deprivation,the dark circles under my eyes, I have finally finished it...and I just have to say...it was sssssssssoooooooo worth it!!
I simply fell in love with the book and its characters. I loved the way the author wrote this book from the starting to the acknowledgements. It was simply brilliant!
I loved,absolutely loved Robert! A guy who cooks,takes care of breakfast when you are late for work, who
Emer
I'm not a big rereader of books and especially not chick lits. However there are certain authors and books for which I will make an exception. This is one such case.

How did it go second time around????
Bloody marvellous!!!!

LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

"Breaking up with him was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. There isn't much in books or music or films that helps you leave someone who is very, very nice but just not quite right. He's not mean, you're not miserable, no one cheats. It's just a sad, slo
Didi
~~~ 3 STARS OR 6/10 ~~~

This is chick lit. I usually don't read chick lit. And aside from the last few chapters of this book, I don't think I want to again any time soon.
So why did I read it?

Well, for one, the premise sounded good and secondly, the reviews were stellar. I should have clued in that most of these reviews were from regular chick lit readers--there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not my preference. So FOR A CHICK LIT BOOK...this was good.
I liked, no loved the ending. The last cha
Renee
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet light read. Heroine annoyed me a little at times, but THAT ENDING - Purrr-fect!
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Whoever needs a pick-me-up
Recommended to Aly's Bookish Wonderland by: Inge
Shelves: chick-lit, adult
Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

The Rules of Surviving Singledom
Be cool
Be detached
Act brutal
Stay in control
Bulletproof
Always leave them before they leave you.

BEWARE: You are about to enter a very happy, rambling episode of Inside Aly's Brain. This review probably won't make sense, but bear with me.

When reading this book, you may encounter the following symptoms:

- Lack of oxygen
- The Giggles
- Dizziness/swooning
- Hyperventilating
- Weight gain from overeating of ice cream, cook
Jacob Proffitt
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
This was a ton of fun, with an incredibly satisfying emotional payoff. The characters are well-drawn enough to evoke Cecelia Ahern (without the magical realism) with maybe a touch of Bridget Jones's Diary (though a very light touch).

What makes the book work, for me, is that I just liked Abigail so much. She has been in emotional stasis for a long time and seeing her emerge, and mature, was just a whole lot of fun. Frankly, it's a bit brilliant to take an ignorant observer and thrust them into th
Jadaloves
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was so deliciously charming that I didn’t want to put it down. I was swept into London, and the quirky dating world of Abigail Wood and I enjoyed every minute of it. First off I just have to say I’m beginning to love overseas authors more and more. I’m especially loving novels set in London and surrounding areas, though I’ve never been. But the atmosphere just seems so divine and fun. This book was no different.

Abigail was a great leading lady. After seven years in a blase relationship
Poison Ivy
This was so much more than I thought it was going to be. I'm so glad I picked it up.

Be cool Be silly
Be detached Be direct
Act brutal Be kind
Stay in control Let yourself do whatever you want
Bulletproof Have an open heart
Always leave them before they leave you Be true to yourself and everything will work out.

Loved it! I could really relate to some things. I was stuck for years with "Dave" situation (not exactly the same, long story for another time) and this year I finally got him out of my life
Sara
First I want to say this, when I got to about 98% of the book I started crying… happy-romantic-silly tears!!
Then I was devastated the book was over…
My husband hated me for a couple of days, as the book was getting all my attention…
What more to say, the perfect romantic chick-lit, with the perfect never-once-boring pace from the start till the end!!
Loved loooveeed looooooveeeeeed it!
You get to know “Abigay” throughout the book, feeling her emotions and sharing her deepest thoughts, and you can’t
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I've discovered the secret to successful singledom. I'm acting like a man. And it's working."
YES! This book made me laugh out loud and proud to love to read chick-lits. Calling all single ladies, you need to read this book! I feel us single ladies take our dating status as a mark of shame or punishment when we should be laughing more than crying of lack of men or horrid dates. Gemma Burgess makes dating life fun and laughable, which it is. She makes us women feel powerful, beautiful, and sexy,
Jess Mukavetz
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, let's be real. I want to experience this book all over again. The dénouement disappointed me because I wanted more. Abigail acted like such a priss at the end. Her behavior took away from the unadulterated joy of the main relationship and added to the classic cliché chick-lit ending. Just give me more best friends with lazy weekends and easy evenings, cozy breakfasts with toasty warm porridge, and Sunday afternoon strolls on blustery and grey October days. I would read an entire book ...more
Simcsa
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was left with a huge smile plastered on my face at 2 am. Doesn't it say it all? :))
Keertana
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Keertana by: Inge
Shelves: swoooon
A Girl Like You is classic, unapologetic chick-lit--and I love it. Newly single Abigail is entering the dating world for the first time. Now, having broken up with her boyfriend of far too many years, Abigail is determined to find the right guy. Robert, her new flat-mate and a classic player, is the perfect candidate to coach her on the Art of Dating. From the beginning itself, Abigail's narration is honest, unassuming, and drop-dead hilarious. It's impossible not to become entirely embroiled in ...more
Ria Lize
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: made-me-cry
That's it? That's it? No, that can't be it!

I feel cheated. It was all going sooo well, I even cried, and then... suddenly they're confessing to each other, then boom, everything's fine. Why? I just feel like... I feel like... I feel like I should've been there to witness everything as it went. But Ms.Burgess skipped it. How things come together, how they resolve it is important to me. But there was no confrontation thing during the end. They were just ...suddenly fine.

For instance (quote towards
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a delightful read! Loved every minute
Abigail is a riot of a character and I found myself giggling out loud at some of her musings. Who can forget her little mountain goat dance - oh I did enjoy her character so much.
Robert was amazing and I just adored the interaction between the two as I did the interactions with her friends.
Just a wonderful book throughout and I really did enjoy every minute of it.
This is my first book by this author and it won't be my last.
Emma
Loved it... truly romantic... awesome, funny, witty ... a Book With a Punch

The perfect easy-romantic-you-cry-because-it-is-that-good chick-lit

it never gets boring, it always keeps you on your toes (even if you have a pretty clear idea of where the story is going, or will go... it doesn't matter!!!)

I was so sad the book was over!! And this says it all...
Carrie
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
re-read November 2015: STILL MY FAVE

oh my lord, this was so CHARMING. I enjoyed it so much and finished it in just over a day. The ship in this is pretty much my favorite type of ship.

Halah Ahmad
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's 5:15 am . Do i need to explain more ?
Elena
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Oh my gosh. I don't even have a word to describe how I'm feeling right now.
I'm in this sort of happy bubble with lots of cute and adorable hearts all over it and deep down a feeling that I just learned something important.

I read about this book yesterday and in that exact moment I felt a compelling need to read it. Like, I had to read the damn book right that second in order to survive. It was necessary for my existence, according to my reader senses. So that's what I did.
I downloaded it and did
Rachna R
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-romances
4.5 stars!! I read like three okay-to-bad romances in the last couple of days so I don't know how that affected how I felt about this, but I loved this. I super enjoyed it. The romance was my favourite kind of romance - friends!, kind of on a slow-burn, but with a lot of affection, lots of clicking, the kind of easiness I look for when I'm reading this sort of thing - I spent a while just waiting for the two of them to realise it themselves, and I was totally cool with that. There was a refreshi ...more
Beth
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a great example of what Jess called my candy genre, I think. It's fun, but ultimately very predictable, and that makes it - well, less fun than it could have been. All of the roadblocks are obviously roadblocks, every conflict is neatly resolved by book's end... This is more of a good timewaster than a good book. But I'm not the best judge of books like this.
Lili
Apr 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Awful book!, so boring!!!
Everybody acted so silly, very childish and immature, God!, I wanted to smack them and yell "GROW UP!!!", they were all almost 30 and still acted like teenagers...
Lark
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Abigail is a girl coming out of a nasty breakup of a 7 year relationship. But luckily her flatmate Robert is there to help guide her along the way to enjoying her life as a single lady. She goes through life and figures out relationships with men, how to date and be bulletproof, and of course finds love somehow, somewhere.

I actually really loved this book, despite my usual tendencies of rolling my eyes at sugar-laden, fluffy romance books. But something about this book is just fun. The first pe
Melinda
Solid 4 Stars

I was already a fan of Gemma Burgess and I'm happy to say that I liked A Girl Like You even more than her last book (The Dating Detox).
She writes chick lit just the way I like them, lot's of laugh out loud humour, quality writing, a fun premise ie: the single girls to do list is this case and the romantic interest is very involved throughout the book.
Abigail is a strong relatable protag who has the interesting distinction of perhaps becoming less likable as the book goes on. Luckily
Sonja
This book was super delightful and I love it so, so much! One of the best executions of my favorite trope (best friends falling in love) I've ever read. Everyone in this was delightful, I really, really liked Abigail and Robert, and I adored all of their friends, and I adored Henry and Charlotte and Luke and Sophie and the shipping in this book was just all-around excellent, even beyond the main couple.

(view spoiler)
  • Chasing Daisy
  • Girl On The Run
  • You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero (Katy Carter, #1)
  • The Single Girl's To-Do List
  • From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Actually #1)
  • Getting Away with It
  • Yours Truly
  • Playing James
  • Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • The Love of Her Life
Gemma started writing anti-romantic comedies for girls who like chicklit that comforts and charms without the silly fluffy bits. She lives in Notting Hill in London, but grew up all over the place – mostly Hong Kong. She loves talking and writing, not necessarily in that order.

She also loves burgers, vodka, white-tipped Marlboro Lights, OK GO, Sixteen Candles, Lucky Jim, anything from Nora Ephron
More about Gemma Burgess...
“I've discovered the secret to successful singledom. I'm acting like a man. And it's working.” 55 likes
“The spark is the feeling that you´d rather be talking to him than any other person in the world.” 38 likes