Start by marking “The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)

Read Book

The Phoenix and the Carpet

(Five Children #2)

It's startling enough to have a phoenix hatch in your house, but even more startling when it talks and reveals that you have a magic carpet on the floor. The vain and ancient bird accompanies the children on a series of adventures through time and space. This book is a sequel to Five Children and It.
Published August 1st 1994 by Puffin (first published 1904)

Manny
That evening, Mother read to them from a book called The Phoenix and the Carpet, which she had had since she was a little girl. Like all the best children's books, it was written to be read aloud; you immediately knew that Mrs. Nesbit had read it aloud to her own children, and every now and then she had put in a little joke for her husband, who was pretending to do something important but was really listening too.

Mrs. Nesbit had a wonderful imagination, and she also had a strong moral sense; so
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I loved this book and the series as a young girl. This book transported me with its imaginative plot and made me want to be one of the lucky children on a magic carpet!

It's one of those timeless children's books that I hope children may still read today. Up there with books like The Famous Five by Enid Blyton and the Trixie Belden series.

One of my all time favourite books as an avid younger reader. 5 magical stars for entertainment, great plot, magic and characters.
Tahera
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Did not like this book as much as 'Five Children and It'. I felt the children had better adventures in the first book with the Psammead than they did with the Phoenix or the carpet....I guess they made better wishes in the first book than the second.
Jo
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
"I daresay they're not real cats," said Jane madly, "Perhaps they're only dream-cats."
"I'll dream-cat you, my lady," was the brief response of the force."

In regards to this book, I'm going to write something so groundbreaking that I would be willing to bet lots and lots of metaphorical pounds on the fact that no one has ever said, written or even thought about this idea when they closed the pages of Ms Nesbit's wonderful book.

(view spoiler)
Anna Kļaviņa
Sadly, classism, sexism and racism did dampen my enjoyment of this otherwise fantastic children's book.
Rebecca
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
Delightful Edwardian flying carpet larks. Second book in the 'Five Children and It' trilogy. The endearing 'n' pompous Phoenix is one of my favourite characters in literature.

*wipes tear*
Janelle
Delightful shenanigans with four children who are left home alone suspiciously often. I had considered only giving it four stars, due to frequent references to savages and naive notions about burglars. Not to mention comments that it's unmanly for boys to cry. But I just can't help myself. It's just too wonderful for four stars. Many thanks go to the Librivox narrator, Helen Taylor, for her beautiful reading.
Lucy Fisher
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the Phoenix, he is as vain as Hercule Poirot, but his self-esteem fades as the stories progress. I love his pedantic, precise voice, and the way he washes up the teacups. I agree with another reviewer that the cat episode is almost too painful to be entertaining. Another thing that strikes me when reading as an adult - how affectionate the family is. They are always hugging each other (though the boys think this is a bit soppy), they have warm and loving parents and an adorable baby broth ...more
Alicia
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I heard (in a book about little-known classics) that this was a great Christmastime read-aloud. It did take place around Christmastime, but it's not about Christmas at all. Our family loved the first book of this trilogy (Five Children and It), and the Phoenix and the Carpet was almost as good. Nine-year-old Josh loved this book and can't wait to read the third book together. I enjoy E. Nesbit's writing; she is so clever and entertaining and we laughed through this book. Here's a part we enjoyed ...more
C Hellisen
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, own
While I really enjoyed the writing style of the book, especially the arch little comments on human behaviour, it was hard for me to get past the casual "oh those poor childish savages" racism inherent in books from this era.

I think when the Spawn read this, we'll have a little talk about the racism in books by writers like Nesbit, Blyton and Kipling, and what it says about humanity (and hopefully how we've moved on, at least a little.)
blake
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vacation
I'm glad I went back after reading The Story of the Amulet to the other two books in the series, even though I think "Amulet" is the best of the three. I think they get better as they go on, with the first feeling more like a series of mini-adventures and the third having more of a connected plot.

This one is in the middle: The children have both a phoenix (The Phoenix, more correctly) and a wishing carpet that will take them anywhere (or, as they later learn, bring them things from far away). An
Chris
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, nesbit
The common advice to would-be fiction authors is to “write about what you know”. A phoenix and a flying carpet aren’t of course really within one’s everyday experience, but at heart the events that take place and many of this fantasy’s settings are taken from real life, a fair few of which hark back to Nesbit’s own childhood in the Victorian period.

The reminiscences in Long Ago When I Was Young, though only first published as a collection in 1966, were serialised before Nesbit embarked on her ca
Tocotin
Oh my! What's going on? It was one of my childhood favorites! OMG. These children are just beyond obnoxious. Their family is described as of moderate means, but they act like completely spoiled brats.

"'Is that being kind to servants and animals, like the clergyman said?' asked Jane."

They don't care for anyone else except themselves and their family. All the others are tools, or plainly invisible to them anyway. There is one nasty scene when they get home by mistake, when only the servants are su
Brian
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Don't read this expecting fantasy. It is more like farce or a comic, but Nesbit never fails to invent human characters and that is primarily what I really get out of her books. Even when including such an exotic animal as the Phoenix, she imbues him with a humorous sense of dignity and ceremony that causes no end of trouble for the children.

Every once in a while Nesbit writes a gem. One of my favorite insightful and thought-provoking ones was: "He felt that he was a blot on the smart beauty of t
Melissa McShane
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, young-adult, fantasy
I don't like this one as much as Five Children and It, probably because where the Psammead is only grouchy and annoying, the Phoenix is self-centered to the point of getting the kids into trouble. The theme is the same as the first book: the children get three wishes a day from the magic carpet, and as usual their wishes go awry. My favorite of their adventures is where they're flying along, see a tower whose top is the same size as the carpet, and set down only to find that there's no actual ro ...more
Wreade1872
So this is a direct sequel to 'Five Children and It', so if you havn't read that, this might seem a bit odd in places.
I think i rated both books the same, this is superior in places but has a harder time trying to find reasons for things to happen and struggles to avoid repeating itself.
There's some jokes which might appeal to adults rather than kids in places so not a terrible thing if your reading it to someone.
Overall not a huge fan but entertaining enough. I listened to some of it on a ver
Lindsay
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Her dry wit and observational humour makes these books very readable as an adult - much more like Richmal Crompton than Enid Blyton. Despite being written over a century ago this series is still so fresh and funny. Her warts-and-all portrayal of children is a lot more genuine than some other classics of the era.
CLM
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps my favorite of this trilogy - I like the magic carpet, which becomes worn at the edges as it transports the children, and the melancholy Phoenix. But I never understood how Anthea could rhyme with Panther!
Jennieowen
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Listened on audible with the kids. Good fun for us all!
Lynda Breithaupt-Muenzer
Nesbit, Edith. The Phoenix and the Carpet. (1904) Target Audience: 5-12. This children's fantasy novel surprised me with its imaginative, magical adventures. That is because of my own ignorance of Edith Nesbit's contributions to children's literature. I really enjoyed her narrative style and found myself laughing out loud at her wit and British phraseology. It's also noticed and recognized that this book comes from an era of stereotypes, racism and assumptions that might not be as well received ...more
Rosemary Standeven
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved E Nesbit as a child, and “Five Children and It” was one of my favourite books. “The Phoenix and the Carpet” did not have quite as big an influence on me, and I did not remember much of the story, though I must have read several times before.
As with the Psammead, in the Phoenix the author has created a truly wonderful magical being. The Phoenix is polite, helpful and patient, while at the same time being immeasurably vain (but then he has a lot to be vain about). The visit to his London “
Felix Zilich
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Во второй книге вместо песчаной феи герои встречают еще одно уникальное древнее существо — птицу-феникс.В благодарность за собственное возрождение (а также банально от скуки) феникс регулярно помогает детворе и даже путешествует с ними на настоящем ковре-самолёте.

А теперь подробнее. Есть бессмертное, древнее существо. Возможно, последний представитель своего вида. Существо, по сути не способное умереть. В случае приближения конца своей физической оболочки, оно откладывает яйцо, из которого занов
Tabitha
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, this was utterly charming. Didn’t especially love the ‘island savages’ bit but considering the times I appreciate that Nesbit deals with other races with respect.
Abbie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another book read for school and the first book I read in November 2018! I loved this book. The characters, the setting, the plot. Everything was wonderful. The writing itself was funny and witty. Highly recommend it!
Kaysie Campbell
Love me some Edith Nesbit! Her stories are beloved read-only alouds in our family. Like all of her stories, the Phoenix and the Carpet was wholesome, witty, and the language was rich.
Jingle ❀彡
Sep 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
╔❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿╗

Rating: 2.5 Stars

description

' "I must get rid of that carpet at once," said mother.

But what the children said in sad whispers to each other, as they pondered over last night's events, was -

"We must get rid of that Phoenix." '

When I first read Five Children and It, I had been entranced by how the children played together, took care of each other and got into all their scrapes. However, when I got down to reading the sequel it felt like something had changed. Back in their home, do
Cynthia Egbert
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I read them out of order but it matters not, Nesbit charms at every level. If you have young children or if you are a soul who loves fairy tales, please read the adventures of these delightful children.
The quotes that caught my fancy:

"Father and mother had not the least idea of what had happened in their absence. This is often the case, even when there are no magic carpets or Phoenixes in the house."

"We mustn't expect old heads on young shoulders."

"Mother was really a great dear. She was pretty
East Bay J
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
What a delightful surprise. I picked this up on a whim and it turned out to be a well written and endearing children's story about four siblings who discover a phoenix and a magic carpet, sending them off on the most extraordinary adventures.

However, I must point out a few things that you may wish to consider before reading this to your little ones. First off, Edith Nesbit was a bigot. It's nothing too blatant but it's there, whether she's referring to Africans as "savages" or having the phoenix
Matilda Rose
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the second in the trilogy, Cyril, Anthea, Robert, Jane, and their baby brother buy an enchanted wishing carpet! Cyril (also known as Squirrel), Anthea (known as Panther), Robert (Bobs), Jane (Pussy), and their brother (the Lamb) accidentally hatch a Phoenix egg in the fire which Bobs found in the carpet! The five children are overjoyed, but, as it is with magic, rarely everything goes as planned..

When the children wish for milk for the 199 Persian cats they had due to the wishing carpet, the
Keertana Pillai
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Phoenix and the Carpet by E. Nesbit, is the first of its kind, in the Fantasy genre, arriving years before the Lord of the Rings series or the Narnia series or the all-time favourite, the Harry Potter series.
E. Nesbit wonderfully relates the fascinating and spellbinding adventures of the children Cyril, Andrea, Jane, Robert and the Lamb in this book and its prequel and sequel.
The children are trying out fireworks obtained at a cheap price so as not to be "embarrassed" in front of the neighb
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • Treasure of Green Knowe
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • The Magic Summer
  • Charlotte Sometimes (Aviary Hall, #3)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec

Five Children (3 books)
  • Five Children and It (Five Children, #1)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
“But it’s raining cats and dogs,’ said Jane.” 0 likes
“The ones I got are all right,’ Jane said; ‘I know they are, because the man at the shop said they were worth thribble the money–’ ‘I’m sure thribble isn’t grammar,’ Anthea said. ‘Of course it isn’t,’ said Cyril; ‘one word can’t be grammar all by itself, so you needn’t be so jolly clever.” 0 likes