Start by marking “The Book of Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Book of Dragons

Read Book* *Different edition

The Book of Dragons

Dragons — of all sorts — make for marvelous fun, and this collection of madcap tales is filled with them. Some of the legendary monsters are funny and mischievous, others are downright frightening, and a number of them are wild and unpredictable. There's a dragon made of ice, another that takes refuge in the General Post Office, a scaly creature that carries off the larges ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Dragons

Julie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I told you that E. Nesbit dedicated this book to one of her husband's many illegitimate children, would you be more inclined to read it?

Of course you would.

You'd probably also love to know that E. Nesbit (Edith) was so enamored with her “main man,” one Mr. Bland, that she put on her man pants and made a career out of her writing (at a time when women could barely eke out a living doing anything), and took one for the team.

Her husband was apparently in ill health, and couldn't work, yet every
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
Delightful and entertaining!

The Book of Dragons by E. Nesbit is a book full of fun and entertaining short stories surrounding the world's mysterious dragons. Being a dragon lover myself, I enjoyed all the unique and delightful stories, finding myself lost in a magical world, far away from the tension filled murder and crime novels and the psychological thrillers I take in on a daily bases. It was a nice break.
Dragon lovers of all ages will be lost in the magic found in this book!
Debbie Zapata
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
Another Literary Birthday Challenge title, The Book of Dragons is a delightful collection of eight short stories by E. Nesbit. I know many people have read and loved her work for years, but this is only the second title of hers I have ever seen. I still find it hard to believe I never discovered her in my youth, but I can always make up for lost time.
To paraphrase what used to be written in the unexplored areas of ancient maps, Here There Be Dragons: a red dragon who escapes from a book, a pur
Donna
This book, published in 1901, is described as a fantasy classic for children of middle school age, as well as something that will enchant people of all ages. It has eight stories featuring youngsters and dragons who come to cross purposes and clash. And how it ends depends on courage, luck, and much help from the author.

I chose this book because I wanted to read something light after a string of heavier books, and because I like imaginative stories with dragons in them. But I failed to see the
Megan
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book as a little girl-- I think I received it as a birthday present for my 7th birthday, possibly my 8th. It was love, pure and simple. I read it and re-read it, and puzzled over all the strange British details (St. George? Bath buns? Guy Fawkes night???), and just ate it up like it was ice cream. And then I went and grew up and became a normal (ok, normal-ish) person, except that every once in a while, something --a bowl of soggy cereal; a fresh fall of snow as pretty and spar ...more
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
I reread this every decade or so, and love it every time. Yay, it's now on Project Gutenberg so I can reread it again any time, and pass on my paperback to another reader.

Yes it's old-fashioned, but free from the pretensions and stuffiness that one tends to associate with that word. Yes, it's charming, almost twee - but, like the tales of Beatrix Potter, for example The Tale of Ginger and Pickles, it's got plenty of mischief and satire.

Far and away my favorite Nesbit, and probably my favorite d
Dan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Book of Dragons is a children’s book of eight stories about, you guessed it, dragons. The book was written over a century ago but holds up surprisingly well.

Edith Nesbitt is one of the most popular children’s authors of all time. She is a master storyteller and her books have a good deal of humor, wit and rarely take things too seriously. CS Lewis is said to have read her books when he was a child. I couldn’t find anything about Tolkien reading Nesbitt when he was a child but the story of S
Bookish Devil
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Considering the fact that this book came out nealry a century ago, it wasn't a bad read. In fact I'm pretty impressed with the simplicity of the language which makes it easy for the reader to follow the stories.
Kids who love fantasy ie. Dragons, Princess and stuff would find this book to be amusing.
C.P. Cabaniss
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, short, reviewed
*I received an audio copy of this book through Audioboom. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

I don't know what didn't work for me in this. Some of the ideas were interesting, I just wasn't that thrilled by how things were handled. This was intended for children, I believe, so some of the issues with story telling might just be that I prefer stories written for an older audience.

Each story deals with a dragon. Usually the characters have to kill the dragon to escape or trick the dragon into b
C.J. Stunkard
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book on Kindle but unfortunately let it sit on my digital bookshelf for 18 months gathering bytedust (if there is such a thing). When I finally made the time to read it, I was very glad I did. Granted, I had thought it was a non-fiction book outlining all the various dragon myths of the world, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it was much more.

The Book of Dragons is a fun series of kid-friendly and humorous short stories about children and their misadventures wit
Alina
Ohhh, while reading this, I could imagine a gentle grandma from the ~20s UK telling her grandchild/grandchildren nice little dragon stories, punctuated with teachings and (English) humor.
It definitely stroke a chord with me (even if the stories are - naturally! - childish).
Anita
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know that feeling of excitement you got when reading fantasy books for the first time as a little kid? This book will totally give you that feeling again! Edith Nesbit wrote these eight dragon stories over 100 years ago, and they are absolutely meant for children, yet they're written with such warmth & wit I found myself laughing out loud many times. There's a story about a dragon escaping from a book, a dragon at the north pole, a dragon who eats an entire village in one gulp, a dragon ...more
Claudia
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairytales, fantasy
A charming collection of children stories featuring dragons and not only, with great teachings at the end of each. I gave it only 3 stars because I read it (obviously) too late but I can appreciate the thrill a child will have by reading /listening it.
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
These stories are written in classic fairytale style and wrapped up in Wonderland hijinx with a side of Gulliver's adventures. I listened to the audiobook.

I was supplied with a review audiobook via Audiobook Boom.
Dianna
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most charming thing I've read in a long time. Must read more E. Nesbit.
Ahmed Mahdi
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fantasy
كتاب التنانين للكاتبة إيديث نيسبيت هو عبارة عن مجموعة قصصية من ثمانية قصص تحمل تيمة التنانين، والمجموعة لها أثر في أدب الفانتازيا مثل أثرها على سلسلة هاري بوتر، حيث تحمل واحدة من القصص عنوان كتاب الوحوش وهو كتاب بنفس الاسم في عالم هاري بوتر وتدور حبكته حول كتاب يخرج منه الوحوش الاسطورية ويحاول البطل اعادتها اليه وهو يشبه حبكة فيلم الوحوش السحرية وأين تجدها لرولنج مؤلفة هاري بوتر كما أن هناك قصة بعنوان مروضي التنين وهي التي الهمت سلسلة كيف تروض تنينك.
Jessica
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What charming book filled with stories of princesses, curious children and of course dragons. Reading these stories woke the kid in me that loved to curl up on my grandmothers lap for story time. The delightful writing style and clever twist had me smiling throughout the book - “My Princess," he said tenderly, "two great powers are on our side: the power of Love and the power of Arithmetic. Those two are stronger than anything else in the world."
Angela
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read aloud
Jefferson
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
In The Book of Dragons (1900) E. Nesbit tells eight humorous and imaginative fairy tales about dragons set in modern England or fairy tale kingdoms, all with a modern perspective that both subverts and enjoys the genre. In addition to a variety of dragons (with different sizes, colors, personalities, abilities, and so on), Nesbit writes engagingly about other creatures, from magical ones (cockatrice, manticore, etc.) to non-magical ones (elephants, rabbits, etc.). Wizards and witches, princes an ...more
R.
Feb 14, 2017 added it
This book is a collection of stories on dragon, some princesses, and a few evil uncles. However, they aren't the cliched, cold porridge plots we typically think of.
Nesbitt has such a charming, informal way of writing. I fell in love with her style in the first two sentences.
The main thing I didn’t like was that in two stories there’s a witch/wizard who is considered good. Also, she doesn't always take a stand against disobedient/dishonest children. She condemns their actions verbally but the p
Max
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
This is a cute little collection of stories about dragons. There's a nice range of dragons here, in terms of color and type, from a classic red fire-breather to a dragon made of ice to a few that really follow the old term "wurm" for dragon. Of course, all of the dragons are rather nasty, but that's to be expected from Western dragons, especially in a book written a hundred years ago. Friendly dragons are, at least in some ways, a more recent trend. In terms of genre, there's a mix of fairy tale ...more
Susan
This charming collection of children’s tales all center around dragons of one ilk or another. Each story can be read as a stand alone. I’ve had the pleasure of listening to and reviewing two of these stories previously and when I saw that he narrator had 8 stories in one collection, I couldn’t resist. I know it would be good stuff and I wasn’t disappointed. These stories are great for kids and fun for adults too.

The Book of Beasts – This is one of the stories I have previously listened to and re
Jessica
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very original, bite-sized stories featuring dragons of all sorts. All are directed to children but there's plenty of sly winking for their parents.

Highlights: a trip to the arctic to free the ice dragon curled around the north pole, a witch joining forces with the queen she cursed to take down a lousy husband, and all of England being pummeled with tiny dragons on account of especially sunny weather.
Cynthia Egbert
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
"The dragon had bags of gold for everyone so now they were rich. Indeed everyone was rich, and there were no more poor people in the town. And they all got rich without working, which is very wrong; but the dragon had never been to school, as you have, so he knew no better."

E. Nesbit never ceases to delight and impress. These eight stories are some of the most fun I have had in a long time.
Trace
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Luke's review:

This was a book of stories about several different dragons. My favorite chapter was called the Dragon Tamers and it was about a wild dragon whose wings were iron and when he became tame, he turned into a very large cat.
Theresa
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jenny and I very much enjoyed reading this book together. I read a chapter a day and she couldn't wait until it was time for her next Dragon story. I have to admit I felt the same way! Interesting and atypical stories, charming language, great book.
Shiloah
Read as a family. I loved this book! I have a fondness for her writing. She talks of the mother nursing her baby, the dragon curls up after eating the city like your cat curls up after eating a mouse. Cute, cute!
Alysia
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
We loved this book! It had the kids and mom and dad rolling on the floor laughing in spots, and totally engrossed. Such a fun read.
Angelica
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
2,5 *
Dee ~ Proudest Nanna Of Newborn Millie ~
Enjoyable fantasy story of dragons, and boys.
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers missing 3 23 Jul 10, 2013 05:05PM
  • The Reluctant Dragon
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill #2)
  • The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3-4)
  • The King of Ireland's Son
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • The Red Fairy Book
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • The Flight of Dragons
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • The Witch Family
  • Goblins! A Survival Guide and Fiasco in Four Parts
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec
“Yes, I know," Lionel interrupted. "Well, I shall read them all. I love to read. I am so glad I learned to read.” 3 likes
“Perhaps she did more than anyone else, for she slapped the King and put him to bed without his tea,” 0 likes