Start by marking “Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Into the Shadows (Into the Shadows, #1)

Read Book

Into the Shadows

(Into the Shadows #1)

Fans of the TV series ‘Heroes, the film ‘Push’, and the book ‘The Hunger Games’ will enjoy Into the Shadows, a modern and paranormal thriller. This is the first book in the Into the Shadows Trilogy.

Paivi Anderson has it all - friends, a spot on the varsity basketball team, wonderful parents, and quite possibly, her first boyfriend. It was everything a freshman in high scho
Published November 10th 2010 by DarkSide Publishing (first published October 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Shadows

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenThe Mind Readers by Lori BrightonSignificance by Shelly Crane
FREE Ebooks For Teens
619 books — 1,229 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
331 books — 1,237 voters

More lists with this book...

Lorena
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Well, how to say this... This has been one of the few books I haven't been able to finish. I tried, I really tried. I got as far as page 42.

First of all the book is BADLY written, the dialogues come out as empty, unnatural, forced and cartoonish. The characters have reactions that don't add up into a fleshed out real person. The whole explanation of how Paivi's parents have dealt with her powers since her childhood is at best superfluous and silly. Their whole parental dialogues come out as stan
E.J.
Mar 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
I did not like this book as much as I wanted to...
I thought the dialogue was stilted and forced (reminiscient of "If I Stay") and the characters wouldn't really act that way in real life.
I had read that plotline a million times, hoping for her to bring in something new, but unfortunately, she didn't.
She also REALLY needs an editor for that book. I found LOTS of grammar mistakes. 64+46 does not equal 100. That made me notice it first.
Megg Jensen
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to be honest - Karly is my friend. I also normally don't write reviews on Goodreads because there are books I don't enjoy and I feel bad rating them low just because I didn't like them. It's all opinion.

Into the Shadows was fantastic. I had a copy of it on my hard drive for months before it was released. Karly had asked me to critique it for her but then she changed her mind and asked me to wait until she made another round of revisions. I respected her request.

Then ITS was released a
Tisha
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was really excited to read this "paranormal thriller", especially seeing all of the stars, but was rather disappointed. There were some good ties in here for generating kids' discussion (current events importance, oppression, similarities with Nazi Germany, etc.) It felt like there was a lot of build up to nothing though with a lot of stilted dialogue. Might be a good read for the kids to review related to basic story composition. Too many open questions without enough meat on the bones to mak ...more
Jim Saddler
Dec 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Where to start...

I have a rule. If I start reading something, I have to finish it and I'm pleased to report that I have only failed that rule one time. Surprisingly, it was not with this book (it was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone which for some reason I couldn't understand how such awful writing could become so popular, but that's another story).

I suppose that Karly Kirkpatrick must have a great lot of loyal friends. That is the only explanation I could come up with for this booking havi
Sandra Pulliam
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ok, so I finished this book yesterday and needed a little time to mull over what I was gonna say. So bottom line is I loved it! I had one major issue that is still bugging me but I'll get to that in a few.

First and most important is the main character. She was written so realistic. I read a lot of YA book and find myself rolling my eyes on how the kids talk to the parents or lack there of parents. She was not the outcast she was for the most part "normal" (not that there is a normal these days).
Debi Faulkner
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book for me to read, but in a positive way. Kirkpatrick managed to capture and convey the mindset of a strict regime and the terror that such governments can cause some while empowering the weak and cowardly with promises of power.

The parallels to Nazi Germany were a bit overt, and while I think they worked, things like the glowing Yellow Stars to identify Enemies of the State seemed a bit much (I mean, who could really agree with such a practice, especially after . . .). T
LaDawn
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok

Another self-published book that needs the touch of a real editor. It took almost half the book before i felt the action start to out-weigh the stilted dialogue and the grammar mistakes.

Still, the beginning of this book was so much like the tv series "Heroes" that I considered it a direct rip-off. More than once I almost gave up on reading it. It did get a little better, but not enough to make me pick up the next one in the series.
Hmr28
Apr 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
Yuck, poorly written with many grammatical errors. I was not able to get past page 35. The entire 35 pages was a prime example of telling vs showing. I probably would not give this author another shot.
Karen Cox
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
I enjoyed this writing, however, the story ended abruptly. I hope there will be a sequel.
Angie
I liked the ideas behind Into the Shadows, but it reads really young. Paivi is 14, so the narrative obviously sounds like a young teen, but the tone really does not match the seriousness of the plot. Also, everything is oversimplified and actually kind of ridiculous. The presidential election is coming up, and one of the runners has obtained a list of people with special abilities who supposedly could be linked to a rampant terrorist group. Paivi and her family are on that list. She sometimes ha ...more
Katie
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Into the Shadows falls within the paranormal/fantasy young adult genre, which by any measure is fairly saturated right now, but brings fresh ideas and positive changes which make this an excellent addition to the field. Karly Kirkpatrick has also added elements of a political thriller to create an engaging and often gripping tale of an intelligent young woman forced to make decisions about her life well before she is ready to. The novel begins with Paivi Anderson dealing with common teenage prob ...more
Joanne
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I don't have much good to say about this book. It gets 2 stars from me instead of one, because the idea was interesting enough to keep me reading until the end.

The writing was poor and I noted multiple mistakes. The dialogue was awkward and the author didn't write scenes in a way that made you feel you were in them. I believe this is an example where the advice "show, don't tell" would be appropriate.

Also the reactions of the characters were completely unrealistic. I have a hard t
A Book Vacation
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow! And I do mean, WOW! This was a fabulous novel that sucked me in and made it impossible for me to set down until I’d read every word. Kirkpatrick is a phenomenal writer and she blew me away with her debut novel Into the Shadows! I was on pins and needles throughout most of the book, worried about Paivi and her family—the similarities between this novel and the Red Scare were chilling. Part of the reason I love this novel so much is because it has aspects of our history intermingled within it ...more
Audrey
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
We'll start out with what I didn't like... the age of the characters. I don't understand 'budding romances' from 14/15 year olds. Sorry. It's not plausible. Next... the most irritating factor that I ran into. Throughout the book, Paivi's mom and dad are referred to as Mr. and Mrs. Anderson. Why? I don't know... it made things very impersonal and hard to connect with the family.
The characters... Well, honestly, they're not very well written but we mainly get the point. Christian is a very vague
Lisa Faye (Agnew) Coombs
I am recommending this book to every friend of my teenage kids and all other YA fans I know. The main character was just the sort of heroine that you hope to find in this genre. She had the true vulnerability of being young and inexperienced, while being strong enough to face each challenge presented. There is friendship, romance, high school drama, plus characters with special and secret abilities. Overall, I thought the story was creative and clever. It was truly a perfect fit for release in a ...more
Meghan Darcy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
I applaud anyone who is able to complete a novel and go through the process of getting it out there... that said, I was really disappointed with this book. It didn't read like a YA, it read more (maybe) like a child 9-12 book. The characters are very simplistic as it the writing style, and it is hard to keep reading through short and stunted phrasing. But the concept is interesting, and if the book had been treated to a proper edit it would probably make a huge difference.

I came on to goodreads
Brigid
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Brigid by: ON
Thank goodness this was a free e-book because it's bad. Truly terrible writing in almost every way. Stunted and contrived with a poorly conceived story line. The characters are awkward and wooden and their dialogue is unnatural and stiff. There's no flesh, no heart, no pulse, no spirit to be found. This book is just another good example of bad writing in the world of self-publishing.
This is a harsh review because I'm tired of these dreadful self-published books. The lack of care for these stori
Steve W
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book's description sounded more interesting the the book turned out to be. I liked the premise of the book, but the action and plot development just felt a bit weak to me, and the "special powers" seemed to play such a small part in the story Perhaps the story was intentionally slow because it was planned as part of a trilogy, but the ending barely felt like a climax at all, not even enough to make me want to read the next book in the series. . Granted, I am outside the target audience (youn ...more
Erin Danzer
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Karly Kirkpatrick wrote a thrilling, sometimes chilling novel. We start by following seven year old Paivi Anderson as she has a nightmare about her best friend's mom. Paivi can see the future, a gift that later gets her labeled as an Enemy of the State. The correlation between Kirkpatrick's plot and the Nazis can't be missed and I feel that Kirkpatrick did an excellent job of recreating that world in her novel. Even if you're not a huge history buff, the novel puts Paivi in your heart and doesn' ...more
Caitlin
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I won this book on goodreads, and the wonderful author sent the book to me. I know I know, only two stars not the greatest rating. I REALLY wanted to like this book more than I did. The story is a good one, I enjoyed the plot and the pace was great. My biggest problem with the book was the dialogue it seemed really fake and forced through out the entire book, I tried but I couldn't really get past that. I may not of loved the book, but I thank goodreads and the author Karly Kirkpatrick for givin ...more
Suzanne Schack
Feb 28, 2011 marked it as to-read
Can't wait for the next one-it reminds me of another series I've read and liked, so I can't wait to see more! Some of the events in the story have been done before, but it's true to how life would be in the situation. At least to me, having never gone through anything of the sort. But that's the great thing about stories, isn't it? Experiencing things you never would normally. This book is about an seemingly ordinary girl who has to make grown up decisions in a world, literally a world, is again ...more
Kayla
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was readable, and at times, moderately interesting. I didn't like the writing style though, it felt stiff and unnatural. What type of 14 year old high school freshman says "I'm parched!" Seriously?? Although I'd eventually like to see where this story is headed, I wouldn't waste my time by reading any other books in the series.
Kim
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if your biggest secret became public knowledge? That is the very interesting premise of this book. I enjoyed how this was introduced but as the story progressed it seemed much too predictable. I say this but the book held my attention and I read it in two days. So, there must be something going for it. Plus, I'm very interested in readind the next book in this series.
Heathery
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Another reviewer said that "the dialogues come out as empty, unnatural, forced and cartoonish." And I have to agree. I can't get past the characters' interactions with each other. Also, insta-love -- is there anything worse? I think not.
Mandy
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had such high expectations for this book and it disappointed. It is poorly written, and the dialogue is awkward. It has promise, the story line is interesting, but I do not think I will finish this series unless the other books are written better.
Jillian
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Couldn't get passed chapter one, it was so poorly written. Who ever wrote the synopsis should have written the book.

An extra star for the "just-in-case it got better but I'll never know 'cause I'll never finish it" factor.
Amber
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading "Into the Shadows" and WOW! A knot tightened in my throat and tears brimmed in my eyes during chapter seventeen, and the tension literally raced my heart to the end! I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens to Paivi, Torsten, and Christian!!!
Albee Tiu
Jul 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
I opted to read this book due to some of the reviews provided. All I can say is that it was slow and won't make me pick-up book 2.

It might be because I'm not the right age group (post-teen) but there are young adult books that I find quite interesting. This is not one of them.
Kathleen
Jan 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Ugh
The Free Book Cha...: Into the Shadows, by Karly Kirkpatrick 4 38 Jun 17, 2015 08:13PM
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • Meant to Be (The Saving Angels, #1)
  • Death Whispers (Death, #1)
  • Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)
  • Lux 1.1: Seeds (Lux, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Initiate (The Unfinished Song, #1)
  • Ascent (The Party Series, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • The Glass Wall (Return of the Ancients, #1)
  • Gravity (Gravity, #1)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • Enchantment (Channie, #1)
I am a YA writer, avid reader, high school German and French teacher, and mother. I live in Elgin, Illinois with my husband, daughter, and three dogs.

Into the Shadows (3 books)
  • Darkness Rising (Into the Shadows Trilogy, #2)
  • After Dawn (Into the Shadows Trilogy #3)