Start by marking “Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul” as Want to Read:
Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul

Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul

Finally, a collection of recipes that provides guilt-free comfort-food indulgence for vegans everywhere. With 125 recipes and more than 30 food photos, author Julie Hasson aims to introduce plant-based diner fare both savory and sweet. This new vegan classic covers breakfast, lunch, and supper from the diner-gone-vegan! From pancakes, waffles, and luscious muffins to scram ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Running Press Adult (first published January 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Diner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Diner

Start your review of Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
Ginny Messina
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, vegan
I love this cookbook! It’s packed with great recipes for the best kinds of comfort food as well as fantastic photos of old-fashioned diners. The food photography is excellent—really some of the best I’ve seen in a vegan cookbook—and the cover with its yummy-looking food and retro feel (that burger and fries in a red plastic basket :) gives the book wonderful appeal. (And yes, there are instructions for creating a Blue Plate Special.)

So far, I’ve made the Pastrami-style Seitan Loaf and then used
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I know, I know, I know.... have your laughs about "why are you a vegetarian if you want things to taste like meat?"

I don't have any issues about people eating meat, but I happen to be third generation vegetarian. We never made our own meat/protein replacement like tempeh, seitan, etc. but I wanted to learn.

If you want to learn how to make vegetarian "meat", this is an excellent book. They even have roasts, ribz, and more. You'll learn how to really flavor the items well. These are great substit
Susan Empizo Vega
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Everything I made in this cookbook was very, very, very good! I made the Benedict with the sausage patties, sauce, and biscuits - so yummy! The chili was better the next day, along with the cornbread.the banana chocolate chip bread was delicious, too.
So why not 5 stars? The version I had contained errors that a copy editor should have caught. For example, on page 94, the recipe refers to Pot Roast on page 000. And on page 162, the instructions state, "Blend for several minutes until very smooth.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: diner fans; those looking for comfort food recipes and tasty desserts/sweets
So, I don’t like fake meats and my old, very long ago preferred diner meals aren’t really done here, but I did really like the book. And I’ve never liked pot roast or Eggs Benedict, or many other dishes many of these dishes are based on. I think most vegans will like this book better than I do, but I do really like it.

Unfortunately, there aren’t photos for most of the recipes, but the included photos are good. And, there are photos not only of some of the completed recipes but also of (empty) di
Laurie
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are so many delicious-sounding recipes in here! Comforting breakfasts and sides, hearty main courses and decadent desserts.

So far, I've tried:

~Cherry Almond Poppyseed Muffins, 4*
~My Big Fat Greek Scramble, 4*
~Jambalaya, 3*
~Pastrami-Style Seitan Roast, 4* (I've never had pastrami, so I don't know how authentic the taste is)
~Blackberry Skillet Pie, 4*
~Very Secret Sauce, 4*
~Rockin' Reubens, 5* (I've never had a reuben before either, but I seriously cannot stop thinking about these sandwiches,
Kelly Bragg
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I feel like a disclaimer is necessary first. I am not now, nor have I ever been, vegan. I borrowed this book from the library to see if there were any good recipes in it - something I generally do with cookbooks before purchasing. Are there any good recipes in it? YES! Thus far EVERYTHING I have made from this book has been amazing!

Fluffy Biscuits with Sage Gravy (fabulous, let me tell you!)
BBQ "riblets" (puts those Morning Star Farms riblets to SHAME!)
"Pastrami" (used to make Reuben sandwiches,
Karen!
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful pictures, snappy writing, a retro feel, and a wonderful collection of recipes. This is one of those books that, while I won't cook out of it every day, I will certainly turn to it when I have a hankering for sloppy joes or fries, I can get it done.

Among my favorite recipes: Very Sloppy Joes, Quinoa Burgers, Cheesy Mac, and Jambalaya. Who doesn't love Jambalaya? And, seriously, dessert, you guys. I flove dessert. Double Chocolate Strawberry pie and peanut butter ice cream. Yes, please!

I
Carol
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vegan
Great photos but the recipes are focused on using white flour and white sugar, a lot of "sweet recipes." A few recipes like Seitan pot roast and the "Ooey-Goey Brownies do not hold their shape but crumble on the plate. I believe 1/3 of the book is dedicated to sweet foods. Not the delicious, healthy meals I was looking for.
Jo
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
Not a fave for me personally but it delivers on the title. Good recipes for those looking for faux meat taste. Don't expect healthy meals (like low fat, whole foods or low cal), it is a diner-style cookbook after all. Too much reliance on processed vegan ingredients as well as time and effort trying to imitate meat-type flavor for me but good for the meat cravers out there.
Elisian
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
So far, this has already yielded truly excellent lower-fat pancakes (so fluffy!) and some good alterations to a cinnamon coffee cake (the base of which came from PPK). Love that the weirder ingredients are the kind I can find in my grocery store (eg, oat flour) and not so much the other kind (eg, xantham flour).
Dray
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, vegan
yay, vegan comfort food! And also, pictures!

Knocked off one star because not everything has to have a meat substitute, y'all.
Jana Eichhorn
I have two main complaints about this book. First, I really don't love when vegan cookbooks include those weird, hard to find ingredients that basically scare people off from trying to cook vegan in the first place. I know MY grocery store isn't stocking agar powder or xanthan gum, dunno about yours. Second, I would really have liked more pictures of the food and fewer pictures of an empty diner for the ~aesthetic~. Just show me the food, it's why I'm reading the book. Otherwise not a bad collec ...more
Tamra Lagrone
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
When my son stopped eating meat, this was one of the first books that I bought. I know it sounds stupid, but I was a little worried that he might starve. I bought this book because the recipes look familiar. I am not sure what I was expecting, but was very pleasantly surprised at the way some of the recipes came out. If, for no other reason, buy it for the mayo recipe, which I like much better than store bought.
Viriam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good and accessable vegan cookbook. Al the recipes are fairly easy to make and cover a fairly wide range of American foods. I love cookbooks where the chef has obviously tried and thought through the offerings, and this collection has that feel (and taste). I am going to look up her other cookbooks.
Elise Rogers
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great cookbook! A treasure trove for those hearty, nostalgic foods that we crave the most. I recommend to anyone (vegan or not) to try the Veggies and Dumplings (p. 108) or the Barbecued Ribz (p. 112)! You won't regret it!
Rita
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I am looking for a new vegan cookbook, so I am checking them out of the library before I buy. While there were a few recipes that appealed to me, this book won't be a purchase.
Stacy Campbell
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
best vegan mac and cheese recipe
Brian Laporte
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Vegan Diner" is a good book for a beginning vegan who likes to cook and is dedicated enough to go out and find some of the ingredients. (I'm still looking for smoked paprika.) It offers tasty and animal-friendly alternatives for some of comfort foods that may seem out of reach for a vegan.

When we are talking about diner fare, I'm not sure we should expect low-cal, low-fat meals. This is not a diet cookbook, but I still think these recipes are better for you than eating a cowburger with cheese a
Aviva
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
It took me a long time to get around to actually using this cookbook, but once I did, it quickly became my number one favorite cookbook. Everything I've made from this has been a winner and I've been inspired to make more from this book than any other cookbook in my library. It also got me over my fear of using a few intimidating (to me) ingredients like vital wheat gluten, agar agar, and flax (as an egg sub in baking). Julie Hasson's recipes are foolproof and delicious, and her writing style is ...more
Shea
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vegan Diner tackles the challenging task of recreating typical diner dishes into vegan comfort food. Covering courses from breakfast to dessert, this cookbook offers animal-friendly alternatives with simple recipes. The layout is crisp and stylish with striking full-page color photos illustrating the recipes within a retro diner design.

Some of my favorite dishes from this cookbook include Orange Cornbread Waffles, Biscuits & Creamy Sage Gravy, Quinoa Burgers & Sweetheart Fries, and Quick &
Vantine
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegan-cookbooks
Classic comfort food is the best description of this book. The recipes are familiar, tasty, and use ingredients that you should be able to find at most large supermarkets. That being said, this is not the book to use if you are seeking low-fat, no-fat, brown rice and steamed kale type food. Remember that these recipes are still far healthier than their meaty, cheesy cousins. No one is suggesting that you live on Mocha Java Cake alone (although I thought about it.)

This is a book I would give to
N.L. Riviezzo
While I did not have high hopes for this book, I checked out this book to potentially find recipes that sounded good (and fulfilled my cravings for comfort foods) which did not gravitate around soy, setian, mushrooms, and overly processed vegan proteins. Sadly, this book thrives in the land of overly processed everything for the most part. There are a few vaguely healthy recipes but vegan food can still be junk food. Comfort food is usually equated to junk food but it doesn't have to be that way ...more
Bex
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
False
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
You have to be gung-ho totally dedicated to this lifestyle. Your pantry full of things like spelt flour, VTP (vegetable textured protein), agar powder, yeast powder, hemp, flax, and on and on. I didn't find one recipe I even wanted to try, knowing I would have to go out and buy even one of these rarer ingredients (and then use the rest for what?) I applaud her for pursuing this, but it takes a lot of money and work to make it happen.
Geanna
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, non-fic
Good-looking recipes, but many, like their omnivorous counterparts, depend on wheat and gluten, so I can't make them even if I'd like. I was able to pick out about 5 recipes, though, that I can't wait to try.
Laurie
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've tried a couple recipes so far and I'm very happy with them! The seitan is easy and tasty, and the "cheese" is really good, too.

I'll continue to try new recipes and go back to tried and true ones, but I'm taking this off my "currently reading" list now.
Amy M.
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amy
Feb 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Opened my eyes to the fact that you can eat extremely unhealthy and be a vegan. I don't know why I erroneously equated the two, but they are not synonymous, which one can definitely tell when they read all of these less than healthy recipes.
Jessica
Apr 22, 2012 is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks

Cheesy mac: This is a stovetop recipe, so I suppose it's meant to be compared to a mac & cheese from a box, rather than a baked casserole. Jeff loved it, but it wasn't my favorite and kiddo flat-out refused to try it, eating extra helpings of broccoli instead.
Earthtocaroline
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

Made:
* Q Sandwiches - good, but a lot of work, not worth it
* Coleslaw - Steve said it was his favorite ever
* loved the Smoky Seitan Roast - very easy way to make seitan
* made the hamburger buns, but they were pretty heavy - try another bun recipe
* creamy ranch dressing was great

• Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • The Joy of Vegan Baking, Revised and Updated Edition: More than 150 Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Eat, Drink and Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook: Eat Like You Give a F*ck
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
  • Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recipes Cookbook: Easy, Fast, Healthy and Delicious Recipes
  • Vegan on the Cheap: Great Recipes and Simple Strategies That Save You Time and Money
  • The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes