Start by marking “An Old-fashioned Romance” as Want to Read:
An Old-fashioned Romance

An Old-fashioned Romance

(McCall #3)

Life went along simply, if not rather monotonously, for Breck McCall. Her job was satisfying, and she had true friends. But she felt empty—as if part of her soul were detached and lost to her. She longed for something—something that seemed to be missing.

Yet there were moments when Breck felt she might almost touch something wonderful. And most of those moments came while
Published October 20th 2010 by Distractions Ink (first published September 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about An Old-fashioned Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old-fashioned Romance

Susani
3.25 stars. Very sweet clean romance. For me, a little too juvenile in parts, but still good little holiday romance read
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
So in this book we have Breck McCall who is in love with her gorgeous boss Reese Thatcher. Breck doesn't see herself as someone who would catch Reese's eye. She is a honest, sweet and caring person. A country girl trapped in the city, Little does she know that Reese is just a country boy lost in the city too. Thanks to some sneaky work by her good friends, they arrange for Reese to surprise Breck on her birthday as a character out of her favorite book. The night of her birthday they share a kiss ...more
Kathryn Cooper
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my heck I loved this book! I've heard so many great things about Marcia Lynn McClure's books from the blog I Am A Reader, Not A Writer so I knew I just had to read one and find out for myself. If you love clean romance you will love this book. It was addicting! I finished it in a day and was giddy throughout.

Breck was 20-21 during the book, and I don't know if Reese's age was mentioned. I pictured him being 25ish. The chemistry between Breck and Reese was great. I loved that she had such a cr
Heather
This is a sweet, holiday memories, no conflict romance. So if you like that kind of romance, you'll like this. I like a romance that has conflict and mystery, and this doesn't have that. It's basically just sweet and straight forward. I also get the feeling that Marcia wrote this more for her close friends' benefit than for the general public. And, I don't like when stories are told from both hero and heroine perspectives because then you already know his thoughts and that he loves her and is tr ...more
Kaitlin Blaker
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was the first book I read from Marcia Lynn McClure, and I absolutely love it. I've been looking and looking for clean romance that doesn't lean on faith (I feel like those get preachy sometimes) and I feel like I've finally found an author that does it well, and somewhat believably, even in different time periods/genres.
So, about this book that is now one of my absolute favorites. I think what makes me love it most is that the two characters have actually had time to develop feelings for a
Tamara
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a freebie for Kindle downloaders. I almost chucked the book after a chapter or two because of the female characters' love of the phrase "Oh my heck!" I can't begin to explain how much this annoyed me. If you don't want to say "Oh my God" because of relgious or moral persuasions, then for the love of 'heck' please find another phrase to use. I beg you. It was so distracting and annoying.

In any case, I did continue reading and the use of the offending phrase became significantly less. St
Courtney
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-romance
I typically don’t go for a Modern day book written by Marcia Lynn McClure because after reading probably a dozen of her books, the ones that I always seem to love are her historicals. However, I gave An Old-fashioned Romance a shot and it was worth it. I didn’t love it but that’s okay, it was still good.

The main Character Breck is sweet and easy to love and so is her mysteriously handsome boss Reese!! They are both enjoyable characters and I really loved getting to know them. The scene with Brec
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Third Read Feb 2013: Such a cute story, I love the holiday feel. Cute romance too.

Second Read Nov 2011: Another enjoyable story. You really can't go wrong with a McClure book.

First Read April 2011: Cute. Another reviewer referred to this as a conflict-free romance and I totally agree. It was a cute story but not as good as some if her other books.

I did like that Breck is the great granddaughter of Jackson McCall, from "Desert Fire". That was a fun connection. I also thought it was funny readin
Jessie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-romance
This is one of my favorite Marcia Lynn McClure books. Breck McCall works as a secretary to private investigator, Reese Thatcher. When her friends get him to dress up as a character from her favorite book on her birthday, and he requests a kiss, she starts to think that maybe all of her daydreams can come true. I love Breck's mischievous friends and the lengths they go to to make her birthday unforgettable. The only complaint I have is that Breck and her friends wear these pumpkin sweaters all th ...more
Kristen
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
4/18/13 - So great to read the McCall triology back to back. I love how McClure doesn't mess with a good thing. Her guys are hot & awesome, her girls are beautiful & sweet. It's fiction, it doesn't have to all be drama-rama!

7/18/12 - Soooo cute. Loved every minute of it. I loved how Breck's favorite book was McClure's The Highwayman of Tanglewood. :o) Glad I had already read that one.

The only problem with Marcia McClure books is that once they are over and you move onto something else,
Debbie
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always take Marcia McClure with me on vacations because they are very light reading - supper romance, super clean (only kissing) and always promoting old fashion values. She could easy by a mormon author. She's probably a little too hokey (is that a word?) for most readers - but I love it when I'm in relax mode on vacations. I would definitely let my 15 year old daughter read this book - it's cute and she's a hopeless romantic like her mother!!
Tiffany
This was a great book to remind me why I love Marcia Lynn McClure. I remember buying a Kindle just so I could be able to afford more of her books. This was a great non complicated read. It was cute and fun! I do like a little tension that this book was lacking but it made up for it in other way's. Thank you Marcia for writing books that put smiles on our faces even on bad days!
Pamela
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now my favorite book! It is just so sweet and romantic. I really really enjoyed reading it. I read it in about 18 hours becasuse I couldnt put it down. I was up WAY past my bedtime finidhing it last night. I strongly recommend it.
Celeste Dailey
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book! I don't usually like only romance, as I like a little suspense thrown in, but this book was so cute and sweet and romantic. Andthe kissing scene in the restaurant...SWOON!
Heidee
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first Marcia Lynn McClure book I ever read! I read it over and over and over again! It is so cute! IT IS A TOP 3!!!!!!
Alyssa
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
LOVE this book!!! Just a feel good holiday romance. Love it!
Ann
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Laughed out loud...so funny, yet sweet and tender at the same time. Another great Marcia McClure!
Kathy
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Loved this super clean, super cute romance. Got nothing on my to do list done today because reading this book was much more fun. I will definitely read more of Marcia Lynn McClure's books.
Mary Ann
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is more modern. I loved it! Can't wait to read The Highwayman of Tanglewood!
Lydia Peterson
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so cute!! I loved Breck and Reeses playfulness and their personalities. I thought it was so funny and perfect that Brecks friends had Reese play the Highwayman. It was such a cute romantic moment that really made me laugh. I loved Reeses family they were so nice and fun, and I really loved that they made Breck feel right at home. In the ending I was overjoyed to see that they have kids and that Reese is an amazing father.💚 💙
Kellie Lebaron
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book the way it was with the Mccall trilogy. This was the third book in the trilogy and I absolutely loved this series!!! Gived me the kicks and Squeals and I just couldn't stop reading it. Read it!! Please!
Kim
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a Marcia book, you either love them or hate them.
Louise
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Not a must, but if you can, read Marcia's book The Highwayman of Tanglewood before reading this book. It will make it all the better :) I'm a HUGE fan of Marcia Lynn McClure!
Elaina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book a second time is still really good. Love the modern day following in love even if it is her boss and she's the secretary. Love the farm life they both have.
Danni
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun
Vanessa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it

I disliked the writing style. It felt jumbled. The actions of the characters were unrealistic. Couldn’t finish the book. I got about 30% through.
Corinne
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me giggling out loud! A great quick read.
Connie
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school
Grace
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Um, well. I traveled all the way to the Meridian Library since her books are hard to find in the library system. Wondering why I bothered. This (at least the copy I had) was obviously self-published and needed some serious editing. There were misspellings, misplaced punctuation and poor grammar. There's a reason for editors. They can tell you things like "your main character seems more like she's 16 than 21" and "quit with the exclamation points" and "your main characters' friends are silly and ...more
Jo Notary
Cowboy/Ranch
272p Breck had always struggled with finding contentment in city life. She remembered visiting her uncle 19s ranch as a child 14the way she had always felt free 14as if she could breathe better when away from the city. Breck figured she was that one child in every family who should have been born in a different era 14but she hadn 19t been. Thus, Breck had finished her degree at Colorado State and settled into a big city job at Wilson Investigations.
Still, there were moments of happin
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Jayhawk
  • Peace River (Rockland Ranch, #1)
  • High Country
  • All I Want
  • Montana Summer
  • The Kissing Tree
  • Masquerade
  • Twitterpated
  • Towers of Brierley
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family, #2)
  • Meg's Melody
  • Yesterday's Love (Yesterday's Love, #1)
  • Hearts in Hiding (Haggerty Mystery, #1)
Born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marcia Lynn McClure grew up influenced by the reminiscent stories of rugged, rural Colorado farm life fascinatingly recounted to her by her parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts…tales of runaway buckboards, mule-drawn plows and dust pneumonia; verbalized images of stream-flooded meadows, frozen over in winter, where a child could peer through the crystal clear ic ...more

McCall (3 books)