Start by marking “Isis Unveiled” as Want to Read:
Isis Unveiled

Isis Unveiled

Focuses on the scientific theories of the time, balanced against the 'anciently universal Wisdom Religion'. This title examines the creeds of religions, alongside the myths and symbols of various cultures.
Published December 1st 1972 by Theosophical University PR (first published 1877)

To ask other readers questions about Isis Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isis Unveiled

Start your review of Isis Unveiled
The Elves
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blavatsky...
dear occultist,

... was a genius and the fact that she wrote so brilliantly in English, which was not even her native language, is amazing. Alas, the thesis in Vol. 1, while still valid and which involves her evidence and arguments that science is lacking when it endeavors to prove that only what is material and can be proven "scientifically" is worth considering in life, is contrasted against the science of the 19th century and would be much better if updated against what we have now
Kevin
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Search where we may through the archives of history, we find that there is no fragment of modern history – whether Newtonian , Cartesian, Huxleyian or any other – but has been dug from the Oriental mines. Even Positivism and Nihilism find their prototype in the exoteric portion of Kapila’s philosophy, as is well remarked by Max Muller. It was the inspiration of the Hindu sages that penetrated the mysteries of Pragna Paramita (perfect wisdom); their hands that rocked the cradle of the first ances ...more
Cuculidae
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
H.P.B. was a vessel : conch shell of Truth. She uplifts certain passages, words that symbolize the forgotten roots. She was writing in stance of the turning towards Materialism and the cold surface of Science. I personally find her still prominent during these times.
Mrs.
Apr 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Highly overrated, dense, convoluted book by the founder of the Theosophy movement.
Jonathan Widell
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rambling. Outrageous. Strident. Brilliant. Maybe the book is too long. Maybe not. It took me a while to get the point. Maybe Blavatsky did need close to two thousand pages to make it.

Blavatsky's point is that the Christian clergy has unnecessarily pitted itself against science by adhering to too literal a reading of the Scriptures and demonizing the wisdom of other religions to which it is, nonetheless, in irredeemable debt. She shoots down both science and organized religion to solve the confli
Shakti M Brien
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important book I have ever read. It gives perspective on the universe and humanity. It's not a matter of belief but observation and consideration. Open your mind, it's pure Knowledge ~
Bettie
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
That woman was off her head.
Nell Grey
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dedicated and persistent souls.
At last I've finished this weighty (in more ways than one) tome - not an easy read for one whose knowledge of world religions and mythology does not match that of the author, yet there were moments of what seemed like enlightenment.

Helena Blavatsky sets out to show that all the world religions originated from one prehistoric religion - an ancient form of Buddhism still practised in India when the book was written, and almost certainly to this day, and that Christianity was formed by plundering
Nate
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Towering and obtuse to the uninitiated, but for those who have studied the Theosophist's Societies work. Madame Blavatsky's seminal work will teach you what was known to modern man a century ahead of it's time.
Teresa
Jun 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to read this but the writing was too archaic. I attempted Volume 1 and didn't make it through so didn't even try volume 2. Maybe this is ome to come back and try again sometime????
Ilana
Not sure which my edition is - it's two separate books bound in blue fabric and very, very old.
Alex Frame
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This woman knew her stuff.
A journey through the origins of all major religions. with plenty of references.
The catholics must have wanted this woman crucified.
A.
Aug 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
Here lies one of the biggest roots of modern syncretism, "new-age" and pseudo-spirituality. A real malignent tumor.
René Guénon swept the floor pretty well with all this business indeed with his Theosophy: History of a Pseudo-Religion and The Spiritist Fallacy. Both books are a must.

Quotes from the Guénon book :
"‘Our goal,’ as Mme Blavatsky used to say, ‘is not to restore Hinduism, but to sweep Christianity from the surface of the earth .’" - Declaration made by Alfred Alexander and published in
Deanna Marshall
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
These books are phenomenal, insightful, educational. Over the course of reading these, I kept a sticky pad nearby so that I could further educate myself on some of the theories and truths that the author presented.

But beware, this duo is NOT for the faint of heart or the close minded. If you are not open to new concepts and mindsets that veer off from what you've known, prepare yourself to be before reading these books. Otherwise, you will not experience the intrinsic opportunities inside.
Sally
Jan 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: theosophy
Largely concerns unexplained phenomena in 19th century as well as the materialism and absurdity of dogmatic religion and dogmatic science.
Nicholas
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This edition that Boris de Zirkoff edited is superior to others, for the extra notes, introduction, bibliography and large index.
Karen
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theosophy
Quite a bit of information on Chaldean and Hindi Origins of current day popular religions and comparisons and analyses. A look at magic, alchemy, chemistry and their inter relationship. Seems intensely researched. Read these books when I was a fresh young adult. Re reading them now on the other side of the prime of life. Reminding me where I borrowed my worldview from.
Onur
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I dont know how she managed to sesrch and review that many esoteric teachings and compare them from a to z. I appreciate her anyway. However, im stuck in the terms used in the book, especially the eastern terms. There must have been a dictionary for those having no prior knowledge about either western or eastern theology.
Lynn Salisbury
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I tried. So many times I tried. The writing just didn't keep my eyes on the page.
Karen
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theosophy
Took most of the book wading thru things I was not so interested in such as mediumship. Second Volume is more about historical religious and spiritual roots which I am interested in.
SHYAM
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HPB shows Nature/Isis as it is......the eyes can only see what the mind knows.....A book of reference
Tink
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I never sleep; were I fall asleep for moment before my time, all the Creation would crumble into dissolution in one instant.”

Matt Clayton
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Read the abridged copy of this book!!
That being said the abridged copy was 500+ pages! Anyway great book and H.P. Blavatsky back story is fascinating!
Michelina Foster
Has errors but content thought provoking.
Christopher Cody
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still trying to understand .I keep reading.
Carole Brooks Platt
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Gotta say, it's total nonsense. Don't even bother wasting your time on it. I ended up skimming most pages, hoping for a gleam of something worthwhile. Au contraire! Nada!!
Ann
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: esoterica
An interesting book by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky. Read about her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_B.... She is credited with furthering the practice of Theosophy. This is her first book. Obviously a brilliant woman, she attracted many followers during her age of the attraction of the study and practice of so-called secret knowledge. To the mainline Church she was considered part scam artist, plagiarist. This book reads like a compendium of world culture and belief systems. Mme. Blavatsk ...more
Παναγιώτα Τσιμπαλίδη
I read only part of the greek version of the book, which is divided in 4 tomes I think? I only read the first one, so it's an incomplete picture, so no stars, I guess.

It's a nice read if one is familiar with all the jargon, I did learn some interesting things, but mostly it was familiar to me since, well, we live in this day and age and also because I've read some of Alice Baily's work too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the attitude Lady Blavatsky uses to make her points across. She was one fiery woman an
Nicholas
Nov 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Had to reach for the dictionary more than a few times with this as the target audience was probably Victorian intellectuals.However that aside the book gives you brief but comprehensive 10 page histories and comments on the roots of religion,occult philosophy,science and mysticism and other such subjects.Overall an enlightening read and well worth the effort.
Adam Cummings
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a masterpiece, not 100% perfect, but you need to study history and theology and be able to think critically to a point where you can follow Blavatsky but also, once again, think critically about what she is saying. If you have done the work to be able to begin to understand her, then you are probably capable of being discerning.

• Kybalion: A Study of the Hermetic Philosophy of Ancient Egypt and Greece
  • The Lost Keys of Freemasonry
  • The Book of Thel
  • Raja-Yoga
  • Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • The Emerald Tablet of Hermes
Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (Russian: Еле́на Петро́вна Блава́тская, Yelena Petrovna Blavatskaya, often known as Madame Blavatsky; 12 August [O.S. 31 July] 1831 – 8 May 1891) was a Russian occultist, philosopher, and author who co-founded the Theosophical Society in 1875. She gained an international following as the leading theoretician of Theosophy, the esoteric religion that the society promoted.

So

News & Interviews

“Man is a little world--a microcosm inside the great universe. Like a fetus, he is suspended, by all his three spirits, in the matrix of the macrocosmos; and while his terrestrial body is in constant sympathy with its parent earth, his astral soul lives in unison with the sidereal anima mundi. He is in it, as it is in him, for the world-pervading element fills all space, and is space itself, only shoreless and infinite. As to his third spirit, the divine, what is it but an infinitesimal ray, one of the countless radiations proceeding directly from the Highest Cause--the Spiritual Light of the World? This is the trinity of organic and inorganic nature--the spiritual and the physical, which are three in one, and of which Proclus says that 'The first monad is the Eternal God; the second, eternity; the third, the paradigm, or pattern of the universe;' the three constituting the Intelligible Triad.” 9 likes
“REALITY in an illusionary universe of ever-passing forms.” 1 likes