Start by marking “After Eden” as Want to Read:
After Eden

After Eden

Ultimately, After Eden can be summed up in these words: “For every two people who fall in love, Adam and Eve are reborn.” - Arnold Arre, September 2002

After Eden tells the story of Celine and Jon, estranged childhood friends who bonded over nasty pranks and seesaws. A mall brawl and an automobile mishap bring them together, sparking the genesis of a romance that changes
Paperback, First Edition, 258 pages
Published 2003 by Adarna House (first published 2002)

Start your review of After Eden
K.D. Absolutely
One of the most memorable local graphic novel that I've read. It's just that I felt too old for this kind of literary work. Yes, graphic works are still literature. Let's not debate about that. For me, the only difference that I see is that instead of spending hours or days reading narratives, you just have to see the pictures and follow what's happening. If prose writers spend a lot of time describing how their characters feel in a particular scene, in graphic works, the artists just draw them ...more
DC
This is a book about falling in love... and staying in love.

I was already labeling this as one of the most beautiful books I have ever read (with just a few pages in). I fell in love when the characters fell in love; I wept with passion when sadness fell so suddenly in-between these pages; I was torn apart as a relationship was slowly being broken. This book really clung to me, with its magic and simple wonder gripping me. You won't regret reading this, especially if you're a hopeless romantic.
Anne
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this graphic novel and re-reading the revamped edition still gives me so much feels. I know this is the love story of Jon and Celine, but I've always been a Greg and Lea fan. They crack me up so much and their story is more striking despite being supporting characters. I love Arre's wit and humor, and the brilliance behind this wonderful masterpiece. I can always count on Arre for a compelling read in his graphic novels.
Maria Ella
I liked Halina Filipina more but this got the feels fest, man. Imagine the author going cheesy and innocent while drawing the panels...

Gah, there's even that cheesy-I-will-be-at-the-end-of-the-see-saw-like hahahahahahaha
PurplyCookie
This graphic novel didn't disappoint (although it would've been better if the elements of good/evil were not included) what with Arre depicting our lives after we have lost our innocence and idealisms in terms of the concept of love.

For indeed, how do we cope with relationships & the concept of love after graduating from academics? Where do we pick ourselves up in the dating scene (or lack thereof) when we're all office androids working 9 hours per day? Where do you go after you're done
Nicolo Yu
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philippine-komix
I only got to read this book when my friend, whom I've lent my first issue of Stardust, lost my book and replaced it with this title. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great read and a worthy replacement. My only complaint would be that the binding is faulty, freeing pages after multiple readings.
Ivy Catherine
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Andif it's strong enough, sometimes we find our wayback."
-Oprhan Black

Experiencing pain and happiness after reading the graphic novel.
Joy Reyes
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: graphic_novels
i loved this graphic novel. it made me remember some of the old alamat that your grandparents in the province sometimes talk about. the storyline is great, the graphics can be further improved. actually i liked the colorful poster in the end. :) it's a good thing arre set it in present time and not to mention in UP. :)
Joy
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
"Look--the point is this: Out there is a season for you, but you'll only meet it once. It stays for a while, then it goes away. So don't lose it. Hold on to it. Never let it go. Let it know that it's loved. Let it know that you long for it. Because when you do it will have finally found a home. And you'll always have that season in your heart no matter what time of the year it is."
Diane
Thank you for making the rest of us feel lonely and miserable!
Marj Casal
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Changing my rating to 5 stars after an enlightening discussion with a fan. :D
Sheryl
Sappy soppy love!
Love wins! Love always wins!

My first Arre and am so looking forward to reading another one. :)

Angeli
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I remember seeing a friend post about this graphic novel and say that it is good way back when. I did check the blurb after and place it on my to-read list. Then, yesterday, a (different) friend shared her love for Mr. Arnold Arre's works and wanted to attend his talk the following day (aka today). She had other plans so she couldn't go so another friend and I went to the talk. I got myself a copy and read it while waiting for the talk to start.

IT. IS. A-MA-ZING.

I felt like I was being sucked
Roselyn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift to me from last year's Secret Santa exchange at Reddit, hence, it's a very memorable book. For one thing, I don't have a lot of "bookish" friends that would go out of their way to buy books to make you read their recommendations, so this was kind of like that to me. I appreciate the effort of gifting a book you really enjoyed for other people to experience it.

Unfortunately, this book wasn't for me (sorry, Secret Santa!).

I didn't enjoy the story because it seems very simple and
Tays
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never got the chance to read the first edition, so I'm only reviewing the 2016 one.

Being the third Arre title that I picked up, and coming right after Halina Filipina. I haven't had the chance to read Arre's work when it comes to mythical creatures and what not. I have Andong Agimat and The Mythology Class still on my to do read. With that said, this book is quite similar to Halina Filipina. I believe this was written before that though, atleast the original first edition one. In any case, even
Teri Pardue
I absolutely loved Arre's graphic novels Halina Filipina and Martial Law Babies. In fact, I recommend them to friends all the time, loan out my personal copies, and have referenced Martial Law Babies numerous times in discussions about Philippine OFWs, nationalism, and the like. That said, I'd been trying to track down a copy of After Eden for awhile and was excited to see it had been republished recently and is popping up in National Bookstores and Fully Booked.

Maybe I went into it with too
Honeypie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love it.

I wasn't really expecting much. I was out-of-town, at the mall, checking out Filipino books I can give to my foreigner friend, and I saw this. Arnold Arre. After Eden. He's BIG in the Filipino komiks scene (and I did love Martial Law Babies) so I thought to just give it a try.

The world could use a lot more good vibes. The book is not totally predictable and too happy ending-ish. It entertains, that's for sure.

(view spoiler)
April Aple
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the first edition when I was in college. I had to borrow it from the library after it was recommended by a friend. I loved it then and I still love it now. It has become my ultimate I-need-a-warm-hug book.

A book about love. Sounds cliche-ish but it was laid down really good. One of the few graphic novels I've read that I actually liked. Arnold Arre took me on a journey of falling in love, breaking your heart and finding home.
THN
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful graphic novel. I loved the story! I found this at a Filipino festival in the bookstore booth and knew I wanted to read it. I was not disappointed. The art was beautifully done and the story is very deep and thought provoking. A feel good quick read about love and how it changes us and the people surrounding us!
Ailla Magcamit
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars
Sha Hernandez
Did not expect it to be so sexist. Utterly disappointed. :(
Tiff
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters were a bit static and the cheese was oozing in tons in this graphic novel. The plot was kind of predictable and the resolution was kind of both insanely impossible and simple. But I did like the ending, cheeseballs and all that. Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic still :)
Lynne
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gotta read the original, 2002(ish, right?) First published edition!!!

But don't get me wrong, this (2016 refurbished edition) story is so cute! (Review tbc coz I just literally finished reading now, which is 1 AM.)
Hannah
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
i can read this over and over again!
Zandra
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can read this over and over again!
Jethro
Feb 09, 2017

• The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • Macarthur
  • ABNKKBSNPLAKo?! (Mga Kwentong Chalk ni Bob Ong)
  • Ang Paboritong Libro ni Hudas
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • Bata, Bata... Pa'no Ka Ginawa?
  • Bakit Baliktad Magbasa Ng Libro Ang Mga Pilipino? (Mga Kwentong Barbero ni Bob Ong)
  • Culture and History
  • Alamat ng Gubat
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • The First Filipino
  • It's a Mens World
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and
“Fairy tales thrive on black and white. In life, there’s only grey – no bad guys, no good guys. You could be the Cheshire cat, Snow White, a troll or a pastry-making witch whose diet consists only of little kids, but you’ll always be you.” 44 likes
“Never enter relationships. Otherwise, suffer the pains that come with it. Enjoy your individuality while you can.” 8 likes