Start by marking “La fisica del cristianesimo. Dio, i misteri della fede e le leggi scientifiche” as Want to Read:
La fisica del cristianesimo. Dio, i misteri della fede e le leggi scientifiche

La fisica del cristianesimo. Dio, i misteri della fede e le leggi scientifiche

2.99  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Mai come di questi tempi la questione della compatibilità tra fede e ragione, tra scienza razionale e credenze religiose ha appassionato il pubblico dei lettori. Molti libri di successo radicalizzano lo scontro, sostenendo che nessuna teologia può resistere di fronte al cammino inarrestabile del progresso scientifico. Frank Tipler, fisico americano, non è d'accordo e sosti ...more
Hardcover, Saggi , 361 pages
Published April 2008 by Mondadori (first published 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about La fisica del cristianesimo. Dio, i misteri della fede e le leggi scientifiche

Jedidiah
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, nonfiction
Fascinating book, even though I disagreed with a large chunk of it. For starters, if Tipler's view of the eventual Resurrection is correct (that is, every person who ever lived will be resurrected as a computer simulation in the Omega Point and then placed in a simulated environment where all "bad things" are removed), of what use is being a Christian, or making good moral choices? Tipler also appears to take some Biblical passages very literally (the star of Bethlehem is stressed as being an ac ...more
Benjamin Spurlock
Whether you agree with Dr. Tipler or not, it's impossible to deny that he makes a very evocative narrative of the Christian faith and the future of science. That this book is so roundly criticized by both camps is, I believe, more a statement of the shameful and false dichotomy of modern society, rather than a charge against Dr. Tipler himself.

While I myself find myself in disagreement with some points, he has given me a great deal of food for thought, and thus, I find myself almost forced to g
Neelesh Marik
Tipler acknowledges that he is a 'Physics Fundamentalist'. Using the principles of five fundamental physical laws: quantum mechanics, the Second Law of Thermodynamics, general relativity, quantum cosmology and the Standard Model of Particle Physics, he validates several 'Christian' contentions which were hitherto in the domain of miracles. Namely the Incarnation, the Virgin Birth of Jesus, and the Resurrection. Using an arresting blend of scientific and mathematical logic, Tipler also throws pro ...more
Angela
Certainly an interesting book, but I got the overwhelming impression that the author was trying too hard to make his beliefs about Christianity and physics fit together perfectly.

I was also surprised that there was absolutely no mention of Hell, given that that seems to be a fairly important concept to most versions of Christianity. Perhaps he covers that topic in his previous book, The Physics of Immortality?

That said, there were a couple of interesting (to me, anyway) discussions about the na
John
Jul 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A seriously deceptive piece of shit. Tipler often mixes and relates completely different principles in physics to deceive the reader and lead the reader to his very flawed conclusions. Absolute bullshit and not worthy as study in physics or theological thought.
Denise
A reader would benefit far more from reading The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios or The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss.
Anthony
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To summarize this book is to use the author's quote "The cosmological Singularity is God".
Anthony Cleveland
Difficult to read due to the complexity of the subject matter and the writing style of the author. However, I did like his quote ,"we do not have a clue as to how the human brain generates a human mind". This book was published in 2007 and unfortunately, Dr. Tipler's statement is probably closer to the truth than many contemporary neuroscientists and/or neuropsychologists would care to admit.
Maurizio Codogno
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
È una sorta di par condicio. Avendo letto a suo tempo (e non apprezzato per nulla...) Il Tao della fisica di Fritjof Capra con l'associazione delle religioni orientali alla fisica contemporanea, mi è sembrato interessante vedere l'altra campana religiosa: la fisica vista dagli occhi di un cristiano, o meglio il cristianesimo visto dal punto di vista di un fisico. Frank Tipler, l'autore di questo libro è noto per aver scritto con John Barrow Il principio antropico, e questa è la sua seconda opera ...more
Amanda Wulf
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the very incarnation of picking your conclusion, then cherry-picking evidence to support it. It relies on a flawed understanding of the Bible to make its tenuous points (taking Revelation literally, not acknowledging that the disciples expected Jesus to come back in their lifetime, etc). I also got the impression he might have been cherry-picking the physics to support his arguments as well, though I don't know enough physics to be sure on that.
Heather
Feb 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Frank J. Tipler has clearly watched and/or read too much science fiction. In this book Tipler proposes that every human shall live again by being re-created as robots/AIs. That God is the Cosmological Singularity and Jesus was born of a virgin and had xx genes. I feel that the title is very misleading and if I had known what the book was proposing I would have never picked it up.
Wally
Aug 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on-it
I find the parts about physics interesting, and consider Christianity a matter of faith (not physics). By trying to unite the two the author loses credibility in my mind. For a good laugh, read the last paragraph of each chapter!
Jef
Sep 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multnomah
Based on his Physics of Immortality, this book goes even further and states boldly that there can be no other conclusion from General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics than that Christianity is all true. He calls scientist who reject his conclusions heretics.
Rick
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blew my mind. I'd love for a phycisist friend to read it so we can discuss.
Ray A.
I found this book too technical and not accessible to the lay reader and thus cannot rate or recommend it.
Daniele Martinis
  • Tell Them I Love Them
  • The Philosophy of Symbolic Forms, Vol 2: Mythical Thought
  • Vaticano S.p.A.
  • The Kalam Cosmological Argument
  • The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #3)
  • The Periodic Table: Its Story and Its Significance
  • Misquoting Truth: A Guide to the Fallacies of Bart Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus"
  • Getting to Know the Church Fathers: An Evangelical Introduction
  • Answering Islam: The Crescent in Light of the Cross
  • The Eternal Darkness: A Personal History of Deep-Sea Exploration
  • Zen Bow, Zen Arrow: The Life and Teachings of Awa Kenzo, the Archery Master from "Zen in the Art of Archery"
Frank Jennings Tipler is a mathematical physicist and cosmologist, holding a joint appointment in the Departments of Mathematics and Physics at Tulane University.
More about Frank J. Tipler...