Start by marking “L'orribile Karma della formica” as Want to Read:
L'orribile Karma della formica

L'orribile Karma della formica

(Mieses Karma #1)

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  12,080 ratings  ·  1,105 reviews
Kim Lange sa benissimo di essere un'arrivista disposta, per la carriera, a sacrificare tutto, marito e figlia compresi. D'altra parte, così facendo, è arrivata a condurre il più noto talk-show televisivo di Berlino ed è all'apice del successo. Ma il destino è sempre in agguato, ed ecco che un assurdo incidente pone fine alla sua vita. O no? Kim non si sta divertendo per ...more
Published May 2010 by Sperling Paperback (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about L'orribile Karma della formica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'orribile Karma della formica

·  12,080 ratings  ·  1,105 reviews

Start your review of L'orribile Karma della formica
Penny
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's ok. Entertaining.
okyrhoe
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, germany
I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it was a a quick read (hardcover version at 219 pages, but with large type) with a straightforward narrative that doesn't get too complicated. Overall not particularly challenging.
A few times I was reminded of Nick Hornby, but without his wordiness and lacking the nuanced value judgments in his novels. Some of the plot elements were too obvious - all these coincidences - but of course it's "karma" at work.
Certainly the morality is simplistic, and
GTF
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first came across Mieses Karma when studying German; the first few pages were assigned to me to translate from German to English. When I finished translating it, I remember thinking it was an epic opening to a psychological thriller. Needless to say I was very surprised when I purchased an English version of the novel and discovered that it was a comedy? Anyways, I was still very interested in reading the book, as its opening was so intriguing, but unfortunately the opening is the peak point ...more
Maria Carmo
This is a most rewarding book, which I have to confess I had always ignored because of its title and of the fact that - in my notion of Karma - people DO NOT go back to reincarnating as animals... BUT, I must say that this book is excellently written, as a crazy and delightful sense of humor, and even if it were merely symbolical, the fact that Kim Lange has to go through such an ordeal in order to reveal the b4est of herself is touching...
I do not like to reveal details that may spoil your fun,
BrokenTune
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Delightful book. Had me laugh out loud all the way through. Published in English as Bad Karma but I'm not sure how the translation would cope with some of the humour that comes from the use of contemporary jargon and the allusions to German TV and cult adverts.
Patrizia Memoli bracci
One of the worst books I had to read for my bookclub. I hope the author is reincarnated in an e-coli bacteria.
Olli
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bad Karma. The hell am I supposed to know what think of it? It does spend most of the time it is given explaining the depths of human mind I am not a huge fan of. It actually kind of disgusts me. It is not very funny. It does not make me smile, you know in a warm way. Still, I found the book captivating and pleasant to read.
...Riight?

Now, Bad Karma serves three purposes. Or tries to. The purposes, in no particular order, are 1) a beginner's guide to buddhism, 2) a light and amusing read with 3)
Olivia
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Easy read and pretty funny, not laugh out loud funny but made me smirk now and then. However it's filled with clichés. The ending is rather cheap, too easy and unbelievable (which means something in a book where a woman is reincarnated as an ant) which is why I only give this one three stars.
Jen
This book was pretty great, and it made me both laugh and cry (at the end, but still...tears!), but I feel it's *only* worth four stars for a couple of reasons. But first, I'll share some of the moments I loved. . .

Actually first, though, some words about this story. . . It is the story of television presenter Kim Karlsen, who is killed when she is crushed to death by a urinal that fell on her head from the Russian space station (*hehehe*). The story follows her post-death as she is reincarnated
Lukas Christensen
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF'ed at 27%.

I just couldn't bring myself to read any more of it. It was outright BAD. I didn't laugh, chuckle or even smile, the protagonist was just horrible. I cannot say it enough, it was not in a funny way, or in a way where you're like... Yeah, but at least she can grow. Or at least she's decent with this or that. Or at least it's nothing too serious.
She is awful, annoying, one dimensional, and reading about her is plain boring. I didn't believe you could spend 27% of a comedy not even
Sherry
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forever-favs
For those who don't speak Germna, Mieses Karma means Terrible Karma.

I tried to find an American addition of this book, but, alas, I couldn't find one. It's only a matter of timi and a lot of my friends speak German. So to you all, I say:

You MUST read this book! It was so great! It's the story of Kim Lange, celebrity TV news correspondant (like Dateline or 60 Minutes). The book begins as she wins a prestige TV news award. That evening while standing out on the balcony of her hotel room, somewhere
Kassiopeia
Mar 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this book to me as "really funny", so I thought I'd give it a shot, but it's chick lit, so I should have known better.
The story sounds kinda interesting - a successful tv presenter gets killed by some space junk and reincarnates as an ant, because she collectet too much bad karma during her lifetime. However, live as an ant doesn't last very long either, she almost instantly gets killed and - who would have guessed it - born again as some sort of animal ... and thats how the
Kathi
Jul 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
This book makes you smile, it might even make you laugh. The general plot idea isn't even half bad, yet when you are finished you feel like you've had lunch at McDonalds. It tasted okay enough while you ate, but leaves you a little queasy. This book entertains you at times, but in the end you feel slightly dumber than before you started reading it.
Julia Reim
A funny and very easy read but nothing that had great meaning for me. It was a refreshing and interesting book for when you are in a reading slump for example but other than that nothing overly funny or exiting allthough some scenes make me giggle
Elena
Sep 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auf-deutsch
Quoting Scott Pilgrim:
This is... this is... Booooring.

This has to be the most unfair review I've ever written.
Sonia
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wheelathon2
3.5 stars.

Funny and clever. The ending was a good one, although I didn't like the way it took to get there.
Margarida Book.Caster
I read this book a few years back and I must say it is one of my many, many favourite. David had a genius idea with the story and the characters he created are just so real.
The book is in the first person of Kim Lange, a tv women, famous with the biggest career, married and with a daughter. You know, that someone that we see on tv and think “that girl must have it all”. And we get to know her, her large ego, and her life (after she passed away) through her own voice. I must say that I never
Eileen
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
It was entertaining but there were so many stereotypes in it that I couldn't enjoy it that much.
Linda Görgen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really really enjoyed reading it. I'm rating 4 stars because I did not like the choice of language at all times. I like that it was written in colloquial language, but sometimes it felt too loose. Overall it was an easy-to-read book, funny and very entertaining.
Antonieta
Spanish title: Maldito Karma - English Title: Bad Karma
I liked it! It's not a literary masterpiece but it's entertaining and a quick-read. You can read the synopsis yourself so I won't restate it. It provides an interesting view on how animals may see the world (and us in it) from their point of view... I now completely understand why people who believe in reincarnation do not eat meat - nothing else makes sense (and those who do I don't get). Ever wonder what Hitler, Stalin, and Genghis Khan
Irma
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read, lang-de
I feel like I've read and/or watched things with "person dies and reincarnates as something not-stellar because of their bad karma" a million times but I can't really think of any concrete examples (no, I don't mean Groundhog Day). In any case, this was fun if a bit simplistic. Even though it deals with the subject of morality (or rather good/bad karma), it doesn't delve too deep into philosophy, which I guess can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a fun ...more
Zae
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It started out alrigh. The idea of being rebord based on the Karma you collected during your lifetime is really nice and fit, considering what kind of person Kim Lange is. However, this potential wasn't used. Kim Lange didn't learn anything or became a better person. Instead she managed to get away with all of her rather selfish actions.
Instead of actually experiencing multiple lives as animals, learning to becom a better person, and letting go of her old life, she just clung to it and hurt
Julenka
Didn't enjoy this one much except for some of the jokes and sarcasm of the main character.
This book generally has a lot of problematic things going on in there, starting with incredibly unhealthy, bad relationships throughout the whole plot (even at the end, where supposedly everything is fine again and everyone is a better person than they were at the beginning), to fat-shaming and derogate talk about people with little income and supposedly easy jobs.
Wouldn't recommend.
Victoria
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and witty about a self-obsessed woman who dies and has to redeem herself as an ant, guinea pig, dog etc. before she is allowed to come back as a person. Includes some funny encounters with Casanova, God and other interesting characters.
Stefan
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The book is funny and made me smile a lot. The author knows how to describe the thoughts of the main character Kim, as if it were me. The idea of the book is put into a well told story. Some parts are a cliché, but they do not decrease the fun of reading. So all in all I give it a 4 out of 5.
Elena Cornet
It was funny at first, a bit boring to me most of the time and a romantic novel through the last chapters. It's not really my cup of tea though David Safier does get to make you think about the way you live your life and take things.
Mariki
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun. It made me laugh several times
Carla G.
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It made me want to be a better mother and wife. I think, in the end, we should read books that inspire us to be better people and this book definitely inspired me.
Taniplea
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast, fun read
Sab the harvestovet
It was a fun read back then when I read it, it just isn't currently what I am interested in.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
kötü karma :) 1 19 Feb 05, 2011 07:39AM

• Hummeldumm
  • No culpes al karma de lo que te pasa por gilipollas (No culpes al karma, #1)
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • Los invitados
  • Los renglones torcidos de Dios
  • Sin noticias de Gurb
  • Millionär
  • Dime quién soy
  • Der Erdbeerpflücker (Jette Weingärtner #1)
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • La edad de la ira
  • Mi ex y otros zombis
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Der Scherbensammler (Jette Weingärtner #3)
  • Reina roja
  • La sombra del viento de Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
David Safier is a German writer and novelist. He wrote the television series Berlin, Berlin for which he was awarded the Adolf Grimme Award in 2003. Berlin, Berlin also won an International Emmy Award for best comedy in 2004. He has written four novels, Mieses Karma and Jesus liebt mich, which together sold two million copies, Plötzlich Shakespeare and Happy Family.

Mieses Karma (2 books)
  • Mieses Karma hoch 2  (Mieses Karma, #2)
“Una mujer hermosa no lo es por su aspecto, sino por su carácter.” 8 likes
“Aquello era el caos, pero de un modo perfecto. ¿O era perfección de un modo caótico?” 3 likes