Start by marking “Alex Detail's Revolution” as Want to Read:
Alex Detail's Revolution

Read Book

Alex Detail's Revolution

ALEX DETAIL'S REVOLUTION A novel by Darren Campo Alex Detail has been kidnapped and sent off to fight in a hopeless war against The Harvesters, an alien force that is trying to extinguish Earth's Sun. Unfortunately for Alex's kidnappers (and the world) he has lost the mega-IQ that allowed him to win the last war with The Harvesters ten years ago when he was just 7 years ol ...more
Published October 15th 2010 by Jacquie Jordan (first published September 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Alex Detail's Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alex Detail's Revolution

Start your review of Alex Detail's Revolution
Denae
Aug 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
It is extraordinarily rare that I abandon a book. In fact, only 1.5% of the books I have listed as read have been completely abandoned with no plans of finishing or returning to them. This is one of those rare books. It has no character, is a mish mash of half-assed technological babble, terrible puns on language, and is generally boring and not worth the time.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program.
L.D.
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys science fiction with interesting characters
Recommended to L.D. by: Goodreads Giveaway
What's utterly great about this book is how complex it is without being pretentious or tedious. Darren Campo has a wonderful writing style that flows seamlessly from plot point to plot point without stumbling or being jarring. I found myself staying up way pass my bed time reading without realizing it.

Story line of an alien invasion being stopped by a boy genius in an intense space adventure is a familiar story line for most science fiction fans. Who hasn't read Ender's Game? Exactly. Campo, ho
Avry15
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed
originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

I read a great deal of reviews for this book ,both good and bad before requesting this..I just got really curious to what became one of the Amazon’s bestselling sci-fis..

I’d rather say that for those who said this is some work like a techno-babble, you might be wrong, that’s how sci-fi works, it might get too confusing but admit it…this book is great and in its finest… if you can’t stand lengthy science explanations then why bother to read one when you
Amy
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me as a Christmas gift, I think the giver got it from the Amazon giveaway. I'm not usually into this sci-fi ish kind of stuff, but this was surprisingly a good book. It took me about 3 hours to read (I'm a pretty fast reader) and I think I'm definitely going to pick up the sequel. I agree with one of the below reviewers in that there was a lot of discussion about philosophy and physics involved in the story line. That kind of stuff is pretty interesting to me though, so it ...more
Gary Butler
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
32nd book read in 2012.

Number 123 out of 264 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Christina
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I won this book from goodreads first reads giveaway. This book has been compared with the novel Enders Game by Orson Scott Card, some loosely describing it as the modern day version.

If you like a sci-fi book that ponders deep philosophical questions, teaches physics better than any professor I ever had than this book is for you. I like the premise of the book, but in the beginning it took me a while to plod through while the author, Darren Campo, set up the framework. I plugged on, like with Mey
Alan
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Ever finished a book that you thought about throwing against the wall? I think the reason I felt this way after completing this tale was because what started out as a very promising experience ended up so disappointing.

At the start let me lay out a few things. If your small publishing company is going to promote/compare your book (I can't bring myself to call this a novel) as the next Ender's Game you have a lot to live up to. Then Darren Campo starts a very promising science fiction tale that d
Purpleholic
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got to read this lovely book because it was a GoodReads First Reads win. I am looking forward to the next story in this series and I can't wait to get my hands on the first book. Alex is such a strong character and now that he's 17 years old, he doesn't feel as smart as he was at 7 years old. You kinda get the feeling that you don't know the whole story, like there's something going on in the background or someone's pulling a fast one. Then the further along in the story you find out that you ...more
Beverly K
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Although somewhat implausible, as well as delving into specious scientific explanations where most of the world seems like it's borderline genius, Alex Detail is an entertaining romp through a distant future. Alex is a likable character, although his personality begs the question of whether his intellect faded because of his age or because of his depression. He was separated from his parents at an early age and continually used and then disposed of as befitted ARRAY.

The names in this book might
M.L.
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Seventeen-year-old Alex Detail is an Admiral - and a genius - but not as much of a genius as he was at the age of 7. However, he's still the best in the galactic warship fleet so Alex is called upon to again save the world from the Harvesters. This time though he will question who is really being saved - and from what.

I enjoyed this book, thought it deftly written and with good character portrayals, distinct personalities, and often humorous. I would like to have seen more on the characters - ma
Jacque
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves good Science Fiction
This book was very entertaining. It had a great plot. It was very interesting and kept me wanting more. It was a very easy read. I found the characters to be very rich and full of life. They were able to bring me into the book and make me feel like I was a part of the action.

The Harvesters are an alien race that has come to Earth to empty the sun. Alex and others on the space ship are sent to Pluto to find a man who can help them fight the Harvesters. The rest of the book is about their adventur
Jaime Kramer
2011 - Book #1

I got this book free from the Publisher on Amazon.com.

This was a pretty good sci-fi book. It kept me interested to keep reading the whole thing. But there are alot of unexplained parts that were never wrapped up by the end of the book. There is a sequal, so perhaps that will help out the story.

It's also strange, but the book feels like there should have been a prequel before it. The author explains a lot of background information to the story at the begining, and this could have
Jodi Boulier
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the best things a author can do is autograph the book and this came with a sticker and a autograph.
I'm not much into Scifi books, but like movies. Often having a hard time understand different settings and all on Scifi, I found Ales Detail's Revoution a very well written book and couldn't put it down. Easy to follow and my imagination played the story out in my mind. Just like a good book should do. Take you away from your own world and into a different world. Thanks for imaginary trip!
Kelly
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy in a goodreads first read giveaway

Loved this book! Can't wait to get the sequel. Liked the way it looked at the age old questions about life, afterlife,, right vs wrong, god, spiritualism and science. Wonderful book, great story telling, kept me guessing - and the meeting between Alex and George was awesome - dodn't see it happening that way at all! Recommend to all science fiction fans!

Kyle
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads.

The description of this book makes it seem like a good book. Honesty, I just could not finish this book. I don't know what it was that made it that way I just could not get into it. This book is based in space, so i you are into space, you might enjoy this book. I gave it 3 stars because I like what the story is about, I just couldn't fully get into it.
Erin Channell
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Received a free copy via Goodreads First reads.

At first I was reminded of Ender's Game when reading this, and while I still equate them somewhat, this book focuses more on the relationship (such as it is) between the main character and the 'invaders.' We're also given a unique glimpse into what can happen to a person if they are changed at the most basic level according to someone else's view of 'better'. I'm excited to read the next book in the series.
Brianne
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. The book was a good, quick read. While I could put the book down to do something else(like eat), I did have the pleasure of being surprised several times. It was a very interesting story with a fitting conclusion that both wrapped up this particular story and paved the way for more. I am curious to know what happens next and am looking forward to further installments.
Marie Schuh
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is much more of a philosophy book than a science fiction book I think. As a science teacher, the thought of Pluto flying through the solar system (and not being a planet/dwarf planet) was rather strange. Some of the philosophy got a bit grating or hard to follow. It was a relatively fast read though and kept me interested, so I suppose I give it 2 1/2 stars actually. Not too bad, but I won't be reading the rest of the series unless I win those as well.
Karen Wilson
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sci-fi is not my usual choice of genre, but I am trying to expand my niche. This book is technically almost perfect, with just a couple of typos and perfect grammar. It was so interesting to enjoy the points of view of characters living in the future and their ideology. It was also exciting to read about what possibilities in advanced technologies there are. As for the story line, I was riveted. Read this even if you aren't a sci-fi fan! I received this book free as a prize in a contest.
Thomas Kingston
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saw it was a bestseller on Amazon and got it. Sat on the pile for a month but the thing I like is that it just takes a page to get into. The first chapter has some a page of dense science stuff but after that it's a lot of adventure and psychology and mythology and deception. Ending I think leaves a lot of stuff open because now I'm wanting to read the next book. Pleasantly surprised by this!
Jacquie Jordan
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Ages
Love Alex Detail's Revolution! Darren Campo's sci-fi adventure is fresh, smart and extra-ordinary. Not since Star Wars, have I liked a science fiction read so much. And if you like Alex Detail's Revolution, you'd love the sequel, Alex Detail's Rebellion. The characters are quirky and human in a futuristic - doomsday experience.
Erin
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I graciously received this book for free through the goodreads firstreads giveaway.

I liked this book. It was definitely a teen read. The only thing that I felt was lacking, was any connections between the characters that would come into effect in life, such as love or lust.

I would recommend for those young nerds out there. :)
Paul
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a very interesting story with a fitting conclusion that both wrapped up this particular story and paved the way for more. Bring on the "Rebellion" Alex Detail.
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for my review.
Skymira
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I would give this book 3.5 stars. I won this as First Reads Giveaway. I was rather excited to read this one. It wasn't one of the best books that I have read but it most certainly wasn't the worst. There are things that made it different than your average science fiction novel which is great. I would recommend this to anyone who is a avid sci-fi reader.
Kellie
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great. Alex detail was a great character and the book kept me up at night reading. There was a lot of deep topics such as religion and the reason for being that really made me think. The book was very well written and I know I will have to buy the sequel.

I received this book free from goodreads first reads.
Karen
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
My husband got this book free from Amazon and gave it to me to check out. I actually found it interesting enough to try and find the sequel. Be warned that it throws a lot of metaphysical and advanced physics theories at you.
Avid Reader Amy's Reviews
I normaly don't read sci-fi books. I'm usually a paranormal book reader. I read this one and I liked it. I wish there was more descriptions of the characters but otherwise it was a good book. I will recommend it
Kim
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this in a first reads giveaway!

I would put this between a 3.5 and a 4. It had a very interesting and unique plot that was entertaining and exciting. It reminded me somewhat of Orson Scott Card's Ender's series. It was clean too, which is a bonus. I look forward to the next book.
Lynda
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
I won this book on Goodreads Firstreads. I am not a Science Fiction fan so I am probably not a good one to be rating this book. The story was interesting and had a lot of action,but as I said I am not a Scifi fan but, I think fans would enjoy this book.
Liquid Frost
Dec 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
Wife found it free on Amazon - thus I'm now reading it.

Finished - not bad - worth the price for sure.

• I Invited Her In