Start by marking “Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen, #1)

Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen #1)

Kayla is a 16-year-old girl who was adopted when she was little. She lives a normal life, with great friends, loving adoptive parents, and well... a not-so-great boyfriend. But the reason why she was given up for adoption was far from any usual reason. She was meant to be kept away from the Academy and anything else related to the supernatural beings that could hurt her.

Un
Published June 13th 2011 by Rocket Science Productions LLC (first published May 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wide Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wide Awake

Maria
Jun 22, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book about 4 hours ago and believe it or not i just finished it.. in only one day!

The story is simple Kayla is a 16 years old adobted teenager with a normal school life three BFFs Jess,Emily and Ashley who are not really her best friends and a boyfriend called Justin (who is a total jerk if you ask me) But things are going to be a bit tricky since our lovely Kayla started to see a bizzard girl which is happens to be a ghost... And at the same time that Kayla trying to foun
Michaela Schoonover
May 15, 2011 Michaela Schoonover rated it did not like it
asdfjkl;

This book frustrated me. A lot. I felt like the whole idea behind it was good. I love books about fallen angels and all that, but the terrible writing in this book kept me from enjoying it like I should have. The language felt stiff and not at all natural and I had to force myself to keep reading instead of stopping out of frustration. I'm interested in what will happen with Kayla and Hunter in the next book, but I don't know if I can handle Lanzarotta's writing for a whole other book. S
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
When I finally did stop crying, he slowly pulled me away, and I’m not even sure what led us to this but he got even closer, his lips had barely touched mine. “I shouldn’t,” he said under his breath. I didn’t care. He made no effort to move… our lips still barely touching; I leaned closer and kissed him.

Before I start this review, I just want to say WOW, isn’t that cover lovely? This is what initially attracted me to the book. I love the cover! And as you all know, a great cover doesn’t make a
Kindle25
Jan 03, 2015 Kindle25 rated it did not like it
not a good book to start the year, I admit. I was just tempted to read it because it sounds intriguing. And I was already a quarter of the way through when I realized it was confusing as heck and did not offer that much detail and I did not like having my first book marked as DNF so I plowed through it. :P
Karen
Feb 13, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I flew through this book within the span of several hours and was surprised at how much I liked it. I like YA but it is not my usual read and so finding something that pulled me in so completely is a testament to how good it is. The characters so well defined that I couldn't help but be drawn to them, even the side characters had a definite feel that gave you insight into them and what could be expected from them. Based on the ages of the characters the dialogue was spot on for they talk to each ...more
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk.)
16-year-old Kayla doesn’t know what’s going on when she suddenly sees a girl that no-one else can see. When someone warns her away from a boy at school she has to decide who to trust though.
Why can Kayla see this girl that no-one else can see? And who should she trust?

This book wasn’t bad, but I had issues with the believability of the plot, confusing plotlines, and plot holes.

Kayla was an okay character, but she did come across as a littl
Alana
Mar 31, 2013 Alana rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
Before I begin my review I think it is important to mention that at the time of writing this book has a 4.5 rating on Amazon and 3.61 on Goodreads and most of the reviewers seem to have loved it. Unfortunately, I feel like I was reading a different book.

I tried my hardest to like the main character, Kayla, but for me she came across as a spoilt rich kid. If her being a spoilt rich kid was important to the plot in some way then maybe I could understand, but it wasn’t and all it did was make her u
Terri
Nov 02, 2014 Terri rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the world that was being created in this story. Just the right amount of paranormal, but with a twist that makes it new and unique. I think parts of the story may have been rushed just a bit, but over all I loved this book. I couldn't put it down (except when I had to go to work, sad face). I can not wait to read more to see what happens next!
Aymen djouza
Jun 03, 2017 Aymen djouza rated it liked it
I'm not goan say much about this one , but Basically it was pretty much AMAZING! the amount of paranormal in this book is just Right , the world that had been created here is so awesome that I really wanted Kelly gift , speaking about her I'm not exaggerating by saying that it was one of my favorite females characters ever - bc it was so open and honest and not afraid to show or say what she really feeling regardless to who or with whom-
the only inconvenient in this story that it came up so qui
Brittany
Jun 20, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JeanBookNerd
Jan 10, 2012 JeanBookNerd rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen Series) by Daniele Lanzarotta is a gripping story that is compellingly magnetic from the first page to the last. I had a difficult time stepping away from this original entrancing story and its great set of unforgettable characters.

The supernatural world that Lanzarotta created was truly immense even though the book is just at 280 pages. Even in such a short book, it contained a lot of details, surprises, adventures, and many emotions that you feel satisfied aft
Patty
Feb 01, 2013 Patty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trilogies
Wide Awake was a wonderful book... I love the way the friendship between Hunter and Kayla builds though the entire book. All the twist and turns as she navigate through all the changes in her life kept me glued to the book. I completed the book in 3 hours... I think it might be a record for me. I could not put it down and could not wait to see what was going to happen on the next page.

I am looking forward to completing the trilogy!

I also wanted to give a shout out to Narrator of the book, Sarah
Sabrina
Jun 13, 2011 Sabrina rated it it was amazing

This is the first book I have read by this author and it won’t be my last. I read this book in one sitting. I could not put it down. Kayla is your ordinary 16 year old girl until one day she sees a little crying while on a school field trip and later in her house. She soon realizes that what she is seeing is a ghost. Kayla’s world is turned upside down not only can she see ghosts but demons also. Hunter says he can help Kayla with them but she needs to trust him. Hunter knows about Kayla’s past
J.J. Lair
May 25, 2014 J.J. Lair rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my wife
I was surprised how easily I read this book. The dialogue was short and normal sounding. The story was gripping right away. The first 50% of the book had spirits and weird surroundings and we don’t know why Kayla sees these beings. It never came across as horror, but it stayed suspenseful and evolving. Who is Carolyn? Why is she here?
Then we get into Hunter and Kayla’s birth family and the story changes into a goth spirit story. Kayla has to save unborn children before they are used by an evil s
Abbie
Jan 03, 2013 Abbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Right from the start, i knew i wouldn't get along with Wide Awake.
The main character annoyed me instantly, and she didn't get any better throughout the book.

I found the writing to be quiet robotic. Through most of the book, instead of "You're right" it would be "You are right", Instead of "it's not like that" it would be "It is not like that" (ect.)
While it's not really a big issue, i found it to be annoying.

The story itself was dull, and while the title is "Wide awake", i certainly wasn't.

This
Heidi
Oct 13, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
What!?! I can't believe that was the ending! I started reading this book as a quickie read, which it was since I finished it in 3hrs. I wasn't expected to get sucked into the plot like I was. I am still confused as to what is really occurring in the book. Between the Haunted, the fallen and the academy, I can definitely say that I really can't predict this book just yet. It pains me to say this, but I think the story finished at exactly the right spot because now I am on a mission to continue re ...more
Crystal Trent Dotson
Jan 25, 2013 Crystal Trent Dotson rated it it was amazing
The first page will pull you in and keep you reading.
Kayla is a teen who sees a teenage girl named Carolyn, which is a ghost. Kayla soon realises that she can see, talk to and command ghosts. Just when she thinks she's losin it, Hunter a dark and mysterious teen at her school steps up and lets her know it will be ok, and he sees them also.
While trying to understand this new activity in her life, her and Hunter are also trying to find out why a demon is after her.

I really enjoyed this book. The
LovesAllThingsBooks Book Reviews
This book totally rocked my world. The story was packed with action and some romance, a perfect YA read!

Kayla is a 16 year old living happily with her adoptive parents. Soon things get a little crazy when she starts seeing and talking to people that aren't really there. Just when she thinks that she may be losing it, Hunter confirms that she isn't crazy. He helps her to understand and use her abilities to talk to ghosts. Together they work on figuring out why a demon is after her.
Peggy
Jan 31, 2016 Peggy rated it it was amazing
**SPOILER FREE**

This is a great book! Looks to be a start of a series. You won't be bored with it that's for sure. Will keep you turning the pages to see what's taking place next. Open for 14 and up who love to read.

Jennifer Milius
Oct 23, 2014 Jennifer Milius rated it it was amazing
I like it when a suspense book has a quick pace, and Daniele accomplished that. I like Kayla and Hunter; they both are complicated and interesting where you want to understand more about them. Looking forward to reading book 2
Mandie
Jul 07, 2014 Mandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another freebie download that surprised me! A nice easy read that had me going straight onto my kindle app to download the next installment as soon as I had finished it! I like the way that you learn about these 'beings' powers etc as the main character does! def worth a read!
* Booksessed * Bec
Jun 08, 2011 * Booksessed * Bec rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, cant wait to read more about hunter and kayla
Jessica
Jun 11, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read and slightly different for a series about fallen angels, but i enjoyed it!
Lyndsey
May 10, 2014 Lyndsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Love the relationship of Kayla and Hunter. Wish the book was longer. Want to read the next one.
Brenda Lochinger
May 27, 2011 Brenda Lochinger rated it it was amazing
It was a great book. Has the same feel as all of Daniele's other books but with a new twist. Really love the Hunter character and can't wait to see what happens to Kayla.
Ashley
Mar 11, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
It was a really good book. It kept me on the edge of my set and I never wanted to put it down. Second book should be good as the first!!!
Isabelle
Mar 08, 2017 Isabelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned
The story starts off as a little brat, not really appealing to me but I thought let's try and give this a shot, gets dumped by her not-so-perfect-anymore boyfriend. Then, as she tries to get her act together she hears a girl crying, and when she tried to get her help, the girl disappears.

I didn't connect with Kayla. She was too much of a brat for me.

Good point for her, she didn't sit around and mope when her world gets shattered. Another good point for Daniele is that Kayla always knew she was a
Miriam
Mar 08, 2012 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Graceling by Kristin Cashore
I got drawn into the story right away from the beginning. We get to know Kayla, a young girl who breaks up with her boyfriend in the first chapter of Wide Awake, just because she feels he is going to break up with her anyway. That's the way Kayla handles things: She hurts others before they can hurt them. Indeed even her friends aren't really close to her, which is not surprising as soon you find out, that Jessica and Emily are the worst tattletales ever who would do anything for a great story a ...more
Masquerade Crew
Mar 06, 2013 Masquerade Crew rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
KIM P.'S REVIEW

2 STARS

I had high hopes for Wide Awake. The cover art was professional and the book blurb was intriguing. A main character that was adopted and would have some dealings with other worldly beings promised to be fast paced and engrossing. Regrettably, it did not take long for my hopes to be dashed. Several things kept me from enjoying this novel. First, the author’s vocabulary was simplistic (in the opening paragraphs the adjectives used to describe the main character's boyfriend an
Lalaine *myficbookreviews*
May 30, 2011 Lalaine *myficbookreviews* rated it really liked it
My life had been pretty normal
until that point.

So.. school field trip! Who would have thought
that would mess up my so-called normal life?

OMG. I never thought this novel would be so good. Since there's not so many good angels/Fallen angels stories out there, I was wary to read this but the author did an excellent job keeping me enthralled with the storyline the whole time. Dark, cute, alluring and a quick, nice read.

It's hard to tell you the summary of this book without telling you the whole
Reading and stopping 1 3 Jun 01, 2015 07:54PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Wide Awake (Academy of the Fallen #1) by Daniele Lanzarotta - Starting October 23rd 2013 42 10 Oct 23, 2013 11:54AM
Amazon Kindle: Giveaway! 1 9 Nov 28, 2012 10:23AM
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
  • Abithica
  • Stay (Callie Rose #1)
  • Sentinal's Tear (Requiem #1)
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
  • Ember (Ember, #1)
  • Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
  • Bloodspell (The Cruentus Curse, #1)
  • Preordained (Preordained, #1)
  • Forbidden (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)
  • Immortal Embrace (Embrace, #1)
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • My Sister's Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Angel of Mercy (Cambion, #3)
Daniele Lanzarotta is the author of YA and NA paranormal/fantasy/contemporary novels, including the Imprinted Souls Series, Academy of the Fallen, Sudden Hope, and Mermaid's Curse.

Daniele started writing as a hobby, but it didn't take long for her to be consumed by her stories. That is her passion, and she now has several projects under way.

She also works at multi-media company, Rocket Science Pro
More about Daniele Lanzarotta...

Academy of the Fallen (4 books)
  • Nephilim (Academy of the Fallen, #2)
  • Sins of the Fallen (Academy of the Fallen, #3)
  • Forsaken (Academy of the Fallen, #4)