Start by marking “Murder in Plain Sight” as Want to Read:
Murder in Plain Sight

Murder in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,341 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews

Did a sweet-faced Amish teenager brutally murder a young woman? To save her career, big-city lawyer Jessica Langdon is determined to defend him--against the community's bitter and even violent outrage. Yet without an understanding of Amish culture, Jessica must rely on arrogant businessman Trey Morgan, who has ties to the Amish community... and believes in the boy's guilt.
Published December 1st 2010 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Plain Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Plain Sight

Lauren
3 Stars

When Philadelphia defense attorney Jessica Langdon is assigned the case of a young Amish boy accused of murder, she assumes it will be a simple plea bargain. With little knowledge of the Amish community and threats emerging from all sides, Jessica is forced to rely on the help of local businessman Trey Morgan whose arrogance is eclipsed only by his biased attitudes. Can Jessica overcome the obstacles to uncover the truth and save a boy's life?

As a fan of Linda Castill
Roxanne Rustand
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL author...and this is another wonderful book by her! Marta Perry is an automatic buy for me. Highly recommended--it has a great, edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense twist on the contemporary Amish theme that is so popular these days. I'm being very careful not to give anything away, here, but it will be on my keeper shelf!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 2.5 STARS

(Review Not on Blog)

Jessica's career at a big-time law firm may be coming to end, until she is asked to help a young Amish man accused of murder. It is supposed to be a quick case until Jessica starts to think her client might be innocent. With the help of the young man's benefactor, her son and the what seems like the only defense attorney in town, Jessica starts to look for the truth.

I read Perry's newest book, Echo of Danger, last month and was hoping for a suspense thriller
Alyssa White
This was a really good read. The suspense and romance were perfectly placed in the novel and didn't overlap one another. The main character, Jessica, was a really enjoyable character. It will be interesting to see where this storyline goes.
3 Stars

Challenges:
♥ Amish in April - M: Mystery
♥ What To Read in 2018: Task 25: Read any book on your TBR
Brenda
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Langdon a junior associate in her law firm, knows her job is hanging by a thread. When she is called into the office of one of the senior partners, she thinks she is about to be fired, instead he tells her she has been requested to handle a case in which an Amish boy has been accused of murder. The Morgan family, specifically Geneva Morgan, is funding the case, while most of the community believes Thomas Esch is guilty, Geneva believes in his innocence. Trey Morgan, Geneva's son doesn't ...more
Abbie
I was very excited to read this book! I first read books from Marta Perry many years ago from the Love Inspired Line. I have only recently learned she has written other books not associated with that line and I was very excited to read them so I jumped at the chance to review her new book.
One of the many things I love about Marta Perry is her writing style. She is phenomenal at her descriptions. When I am reading her books I feel like I am right there in the book as I read.

Kelly Hager
Jessica is a struggling lawyer at a prestigious Philadelphia firm. She's more unlucky than bad at her job, but still, she's on pretty thin ice. Then she's sent to Lancaster County to defend an Amish teenager accused of murder. She's supposed to accept a plea bargain, but she becomes convinced her client's innocent. She starts receiving threatening notes and, of course, there's this guy...

This was a really fun read. You'll pretty much see every twist coming (I called the killer in advance--maybe
Gina
Goodreads Description- Did a sweet-faced Amish teenager brutally murder a young woman? To save her career, big-city lawyer Jessica Langdon is determined to defend him—against the community's bitter and even violent outrage. Yet without an understanding of Amish culture, Jessica must rely on arrogant businessman Trey Morgan, who has ties to the Amish community… and believes in the boy's guilt.

Jessica has threats coming from all sides: a local fanatic, stirred up by the biased publicity of the cas
Sally
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I am not a huge fan of straight romance novels, add a little murder and mystery and I'm right there.

A young Amish man is accused of murdering an "English" woman. The case looks like a sure thing for the DA. A friend of the Amish family hires a Philadelphia law firm to represent the Amish man. Believing they only need an attorney to work out a plea bargain, the less-favored lawyer, Jessica, is sent to take care of the task. But Jessica finds that the case isn't as open and shut as it appea
Naomi Blackburn
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and a great read. Basically, reminded me a tad bit of Plain Truth, but that was solely based on the Amish connection and murder. It ended there. I will def. be checking out more MYSTERIES from this author, as she is a romance writer turned mystery writer!
Kim Galla
Very slow-moving and dull, with too much focus on Jessica's and Trey's inner thoughts of each other rather than the legal case. By halfway I didn't care if Thomas was guilty or not. Several years ago I read Plain Truth and it was so much more engaging.
Stephanie
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
Fast and easy read. I thought the Author wrote the character Jessica (who was a lawyer) in such a way...That I didn't get the whole lawyer vibe from her. If that makes any sense. Plus, I thought the plot was pretty predictable but overall I enjoyed it.
Betsy
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2012-mar
Murder in Plain Sight was a quick read with a pretty good story. It had more romance than I normally liked, but I enjoyed it. I would read more from this author, but I would not rush out to pick one up.
Anke
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Took me long enough to finish, but it was rather too predictable and therefore boring.
Jamie Peterson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story. It was a murder story and accurate info about the Amish culture, however I purchased it as a "Romance" package choice on Audible and it was just a hint here and there of feelings between characters.

Not enough for a steamy build up and no sex scenes. More of a murder mystery with two people attracted to each other. Good storyline and moved along well, okay narration, just not really in the genre category it is presented to be.
Debbie Perry
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love

I enjoy the mystery and trying to solve it with the pieces given. Wrapping it all up with God is just poetically correct and true to real life
Lyndall
I bit too romancy for me.
Pam
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: perry-marta
An easy to read book... just a bit disappointed there wasn't more detail about the Amish in the story
Nancy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice one day read. I may or may not return to read more of this series. The mystery wasn't complex, which was disappointing.
JoAnn
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Murder in Plain Sight is a great Christian suspense/romance. This book has a great plot that kept me on the edge of my seat. I definitely recommend this book.
Leslie
One of my favorite narrators but just couldn't get into this story and really not particularly Amish.
Crystal Karre
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
page turner
Rachel Brand
While so many of the Amish novels that are currently saturating the market are focused on love and romance, Marta Perry tackles an entirely different subject - can the Amish kill? When a local English woman turns up dead in a barn, along with an unconscious Thomas Esch clutching a hammer, the residents of Lancaster don't doubt for a second that he committed the crime. But his English neighbour, Geneva Morgan, is convinced of his innocence. Trey Morgan doesn't share his mother's opinion but grudg ...more
Camille
My first Amish novel that I read was by Marta Perry. I got accepted by NetGalley to review her upcoming novel, Murder In Plain Sight, and so I couldn't resist reading it!

I have to admit I really did like this book.

Murder In Plain Sight follows the story of a young Amish man, Thomas Esch, who has been accused of murder of a young non-Amish woman which occurred during Thomas' rumspringa.

A local woman, Geneva Morgan, believes that Thomas is innocent and has hired an attorney from Philadelphia, Jess
Lorie
Sep 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish-fiction
Murder in Plain Sight by Marta Perry is a book that I recently read through NetGalley. I was given a copy of the book to review for the publisher, Harlequin Books. The book centers on a teenaged Amish boy named Thomas Esch, who is accused of brutally murdering a young woman named Cherry. The town of Springfield has already decided he is guilty before he even has a trial. Geneva Morgan believes in his innocence and decides to hire a lawyer from a big firm in Philadelphia. Jessica Langdon, a young ...more
Andrea Guy
Marta Perry proves once again that she's one of the best voices in Amish fiction. She captures the feelings of the Amish quite well, as she does with her other books about the culture, but she really works the "Englisch" into this story with credibility.

Jessica is a Philly lawyer that is used to big cities, like Boston and Baltimore. She isn't really familiar with Lancaster County and the Amish, even though Philly is only about an hour and a half away. As she seeks to help with the accuseds defe
Gloria
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated, reviewed, own
Jessica Langdon works for a large law firm in Philadelphia but is assigned to represent Thomas Esch, a young Amish man, in nearby Lancaster County. Thomas is accused to killing an English girl at a party. She realizes that her father that is a powerful attorney and judge probably got her the job. That doesn't prevent her from feeling like her position in not very secure. In fact, that is probably why she was given the job in Lancaster County. The case seems to be a no win situation and she is to ...more
Felicia
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, amish
First let me say that my impression of this book was very colored by expectations.

I loved the idea of this book. After reading the jacket I was very excited to read it. It didn't quite fit what I was expecting but was still a very good book. I believe that if I did not have certain expectations in mind before starting this book I would have given it 4 stars instead of 3. This is not the fault of the writer but the fault of whoever wrote the book jacket synopsis.

The story begins with a murder t
Janie  R.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
An excellent Amish suspense story! Marta Perry kept me guessing on who the "bad guy" was, just when I thought I knew who it was,lol. I liked all the characters in the story. Some of my favorites was Jessica-she was tough,didn't backed down on doing what she thought was the right thing to do,even at the expense of losing her job,and death threating incidents. I think I chewed all my nails, by the time I finished the book!
I loved Geneva-a person who gave unconditional love-she always made a pers
Harlequin Romance: Murder in Plain Sight by Marta Perry 6 10 Jun 09, 2017 10:44AM
  • Missing Your Smile (Fields Of Home, #1)
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • What the Heart Sees: A Collection of Amish Romances
  • Dark Road Home (Maplecreek, #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • Missing (The Secrets of Crittenden County #1)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • The Heart's Frontier (The Amish of Apple Grove, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • Plain Promise (Daughters of the Promise, #3)
  • Falling to Pieces (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #1)
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry

The Brotherhood of the Raven (3 books)
  • Vanish in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #2)
  • Danger in Plain Sight (The Brotherhood of the Raven #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
  • Carthage
    $8.49 $2.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
  • No Time for Goodbye
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Edinburgh Twilight (Ian Hamilton Mysteries #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Extremis (John Rain, #5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Chopping Spree (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #11)