Start by marking “Six Thinking Hats” as Want to Read:
Six Thinking Hats

Six Thinking Hats

The multi million-copy bestseller Six Thinking Hats by Edward de Bono, author of Lateral Thinking and I Am Right You Are Wrong, teaches you how to run better meetings and make better decisions. Meetings are a crucial part of all our lives, but too often they go nowhere and waste valuable time. In Six Thinking Hats, Edward de Bono shows how meetings can be transformed to pr ...more
Paperback, Revised Edition, 177 pages
Published October 31st 2000 by Penguin Canada (first published 1981)

Cassandra Kay Silva
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
So annoying! If anyone in an actual business meeting told me to pause and put my green thinking hat on I would literally immediately take it off done my red hat and lash into them with a tirade of the stupidity of it all. What are we kindergarteners? Are we so bad at thinking and creative collectivity that we need to label hats to make sense of one another and listen to one another? Can't we use our own ability as coordinating social creatures to approach problems on our own from different angle ...more
Lukas Vermeer
Starting off wearing my white hat, this book has only 173 pages and did not take me long to read at all.

Switching to the red hat, I can't say I'm very excited about the collaborative thinking methodology described.

If I were forced into a yellow hat, I'd say there may be some opportunity to use the hats as symbols in regular communication to indicate a certain thinking style is desired.

However, my black hat thinking immediately suggests that mentioning any colour hat to t
Peter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Mindsets
This is a strange book to review and the reason I say that is because, in theory, it sounds like a great process and methodology, but in reality, it is difficult to manage and can be a disaster. The core reason to employ the “Six Thinking Hats” is to comprehensively explore a problem or develop a solution by considering six defined perspectives and giving each appropriate and focused attention to generating decisions/actions/outputs.

The theory and application are such that we put on differen
Simon Gianoutsos
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, psychology
This is a very easy read and provides a good simple approach for exploring ideas and problems through thinking from different perspectives in a structured manner. There are six hats, each of which have different characteristics:
- White Hat: facts, figures, information
- Blue Hat: controlling of the hats a
Karen ⊰✿
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookiam
Well, de Bono does rather like himself continually reminding us of his creations including the term "lateral thinking", but don't let that stop you from reading and understanding the six thinking hats directly from him.
I've seen the concept used in ways it was not designed to be (calling someone a "yellow hat thinker" for example. The idea is that we ALL use all the hats) and the concept is easy to understand although does take practice to administer.
If it has been a while since you
Suresh
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
A good concept which could be captured in 4-5 pages, but converted into full blown book!!
Schehani
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Six Thinking Hats is a good read if One is interested in improving ones thinking skills, both at work and outside. De Bono has tried to guide in a,common sense approach ad to how to fine tune and cultivate thinking skills by donning the six Colored hats just as an actor will play different roles at different situations. These hats are by White (one looks at information, data) , Red ( intuition, emotional /feeling part ) Black ( cautious, looking at issues /challenges, negative assessment) , yell ...more
Syed Misbahuddin
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
FOOD FOR THOUGHTS
Six Thinking Hats by Edward De Bono
www.edwdebono.com

Thinking is a skill and can be improved, this is what our book under review teaches us and says,

these are not idle words, but they are said by a consultant to many international corporations like IBM, EXXON, DUPONT, PROCTOR AND GAMBLE, SHELL, BP, FORD. ETC.,

Enough of bombarding you with Billion Dollar earning company names, let me climb down to common man, that
Shane
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I slogged my way through this book with much effort despite its abbreviated length. The core concept is an interesting one, and it involves a process to make meetings, brainstorming, and all sorts of collaborative efforts more organized and productive by helping the participants better organize the way they think so as not to get bogged down with unrelated minutia while trying to focus on another specific segment of the issue at hand.

Instead of anyone bringing up any sort of argument
K.
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Edward De Bono offers an interesting manual on the process of thinking. He suggests and persuasively argues that keeping our thoughts ordered and divided between the "Six Thinking Hats" allows us to be more effective with our decision making.

Each hat has a time and a place during the decision making process, the white hat is neutral, red is for our passionate and sometimes irrational emotions, etc etc.

Quotes:

"The difference between a good thinker and a poor th
Doc Norton
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a simple process that works quite well. I've run a number of parallel thinking sessions using the Six Thinking Hats. It has worked quite well in almost all instances.

If the participants are not familiar with the process, it can be difficult to facilitate. I recommend sharing the process with people prior to the meeting and then reviewing the process again before you get started.

If the participants are not genuinely committed, it can be a challenge. In one case, a
Mohammed Agbawi
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-on-shelve
Greetings,

I applied this technique in a workshop with managerial level to evaluate new strategic approach In project implementation. Workshop agenda as follow:

1slide for definition and get opinion and fist impression from management about applying new strategy. Red hat
2-8 slide: present how to implement
1 slide : explain one senior of implementation and ask management for more idea to improve idea. Green hat.
1 slide: advantages/added values and disadvantages and ask mana
amy
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
As a teacher, I found this model of thinking helpful for organizing classroom meetings. Kids have difficulty planning and problem-solving, just as adults do. The six hats method is something that can be explicitly taught. It's simple, concrete, and the kids enjoy the role-playing aspect of it.

I personally like the way it helps people to step back from their own thoughts and ego -- and to reflect on the process of thinking. In a way, it's a bit Buddhist.

I also appreciate the acknowledgement giv
June Ding
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The biggest enemy of thinking is complexity. We tend to confuse ourselves when we jam logic, emotions, information, hope and creativity all at once into our decision making. The six thinking hats method is very simple to understand. It simplifies thinking by allowing thinkers to think one thing at a time. It is the opposite of typical western style of thinking which tends to defend a conclusion with arguments. Here Dr De Bono put forward an eastern way of thinking: everyone contributes to draw u ...more
Adam Casto
Good concept, bad conveyance. De Bono seemed to think he had discovered a Holy Grail of sorts that will revolutionize, well, basically everything if only people would implement it. Each section takes a basic concept, a colored hat, and drones on and on about it in an almost manic salesman-like fashion. I think the concept of "Six Thinking Hats" would be much better conveyed with a brief description of the concept, followed by short and simple definitions of each color hat, then concluded with ju ...more
PRINCESS
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction, pdf
Have you heard of ‘Six Thinking Hats” before?
First time when I heard that was in one of meet-up gatherings. I did not have a clue about it. The meet-up finished and I awaked full of knowledge.
Six Thinking Hats is a system designed as a tool to describe the group discussion and individual thinking involving the six colored hats. Now these six colors are:

1. Green : Creative thinking, represents the creativity, concerning alternative options, new ideas and giving a different unde
Spencer Fancutt
I cannot imagine ever saying, "I want some ideas to do with television sets. The random word is cheese, so television po cheese." or "I'm going to put on my green hat and treat that as a provocation. We can black hat it later." or "Ok everyone, give me your red hat thinking on this proposal." Come to think of it, I cannot imagine saying any sentence in this book. Nevertheless, the basic idea is interesting. Discussing one approach at a time (pros, cons, feelings, facts, new ideas) in a meeting, ...more
Alexandra
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A clear precise approach on how to analyze and provide details from 6 different perspectives on a single matter, in an objective manner.
Good approach for meetings, debates and quick decision making.
Neha Gupta
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a pretty simple book, all the thoughts articulated nicely.
This book need to be applied and the methodology will only work when all members of meeting have knowledge of the process.

It will have to be taught and practised to see the results.
Pongsak Sarapukdee
white: facts and figures
red: emotional
black: careful
yellow: positive
green: creative
blue: organizing
I would say the book is about learning how to reduce meeting times.
Judy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-unsorted
rating: 3.5

I read this a good many years ago at the suggestion of a friend. At the time, de Bono's ideas were new to me. Different ways of thinking. The need for educators to teach for all learners, not just the ones that matched their own thinking styles.
Vaidant Jain
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good book to understand some tricks of team skill building and management.
Nare Ghapantsyan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting concept. Book is easy to read and instructions are quite clear. I wouldn't necessarily suggest to use this approach during a meeting, but some points can be derived for management of personal projects... or maybe this is just an introvert in me is taking a stand...
André Bueno
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Six Thinking Hats is a decision making technique that forces you to adopt multiple perspectives of a situation.

The goal is to take in consideration each of the six hats, for a determined amount of time (e.g. 1 minute), and exploring its respective vantage point. Each 'Thinking Hat' is a different style of thinking:

White Hat: This thinking hat focuses on the facts, looks for gaps in your knowledge, and either tries to fill them in or take account of them.

Red Hat: This hat
Sassa Mifrass
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
My PEAC teacher first introduced the Six Thinking Hats Theory to me, and I've been meaning to read up on it ever since.

Clear, instructional and methodical - I can see why adopting the six thinking hat methodology would halve some organisation's meeting times and greatly increase their decision making processes! I'm not sure, however, that I can picture myself saying "Okay, that's enough white hat Bob, can I get your red hat thinking on this?"

As De Bono explains, it's a contrived way
K.
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the best technique I know about for collaborative decision making and problem solving. It is very effective in a group setting, allowing the group to focus in a particular way without generating conflict. It is also probably the most generative process I've come across... it sparks a great deal of creativity and thinking out of the box.

I think it is also very useful when considering a challenge from an individual point of view. It forces you to think about things from points
Laura Noble
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have an early edition of this (so some references are but have passed it onto a young woman who works for me & really needs to discard her black hat & start with a yellow or green hat. I know it will help her to get where she needs to be, she has already got another part time job she really wants by approaching her thinking in a more positive structured way. It is good when you have a go to way of thinking to approach problems form new angles with great results. We go to school, colleg ...more
Duke
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Someone at work suggested this book, which describes a way of thinking that enables groups to reach consensus quickly. The problem is that for it to work, everyone needs to have read the book and be on board with the program. I’d love to give some of these innovative industrial/organization psychological methods a try, but unfortunately I do not work in a sandbox. Maybe I should start my own business. . .
Janine
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
white - objective, facts and figures
black = critical, what is wrong with it
yellow = positive, constructive, what works
red = emotions and feelings, intuition
green = creative and lateral thinking
blue = control of thinking

this is an old book (mid-90's) but the concept of the six ways of thinking is still interesting.
Vipin Goyal
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like this genre and am really impressed the way author has defined the managerial process. We may know many things written in the book if we have worked as an executive for three decades. Still I feel impressed.
why Six Thinking Hats ?????? 3 72 Mar 21, 2019 12:27AM
Entrepreneur Book...: Implementing Six Thinking Hats 3 11 Apr 29, 2018 05:45AM

• The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • The Mind Map Book: How to Use Radiant Thinking to Maximize Your Brain's Untapped Potential
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
Edward de Bono is a Maltese physician, author, inventor, and consultant. He is best known as the originator of the term lateral thinking (structured creativity) and the leading proponent of the deliberate teaching of thinking in schools.
“We may have a perfectly adequate way of doing something, but that does not mean there cannot be a better way. So we set out to find an alternative way. This is the basis of any improvement that is not fault correction or problem solving.” 26 likes
“Creativity involves provocation, exploration and risk taking. Creativity involves "thought experiments." You cannot tell in advance how the experiment is going to turn out. But you want to be able to carry out the experiment.” 7 likes