Start by marking “Cross & Crescent: Responding to the Challenge of Islam” as Want to Read:
Cross & Crescent: Responding to the Challenge of Islam

Cross & Crescent: Responding to the Challenge of Islam

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Features & BenefitsAddresses the contemporary collision of Western and Islamic worldviewsOffers a valuable overview of everyday Islamic faith and practiceOutlines cultural and doctrinal meeting points and points of departure between Islam and ChristianityDraws on the author's many years of experience in working with students in Egypt, Lebanon and Cyprus
Published December 3rd 2005 by InterVarsity Press (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Cross & Crescent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross & Crescent

Toby
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a brief, easy-to-read and (relatively) non-partisan account of Islam and its relationship with Christianity, this is a very good book. The chapters are short and written in such a way that, whilst being clearly Christian in intention and orientation, polemic is studiously avoided. Colin Chapman is at all times courteous to the Muslim faith. Liberal and non-stereotyped opinions and attitudes are given alongside more conservative readings, allowing the reader to understand something of the brea ...more
Jordan Shirkman
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written from a Christian perspective comparing Islam and Christianity, this book feels nearly exhaustive in its scope of topics in regards to Islam. Chapman provides overviews and specifics of Islam in its various forms, and in the latter part of the book moved into Christian engagement with Islam and ministry examples and ideas.

A few finer points I disagree with (that Christians and Muslims worship the same God because they are monotheists) but overall a helpful guide along with interesting st
Paul Batz
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I really appreciate this book. I say this, in part, because it covers so much. And maybe some might argue this is its downfall, but there is a lot to be said when comparing two major religions.

Colin Chapman starts his book well, offering suggestions on ways in which we might relate to our Muslim neighbours. This is good, because we often fall prey to pressures that would have us see Muslims as "the other." With an awesome quote, Chapman starts this first chapter like this: "'Hello, how are you?
Elliot
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: missiology
This is the first book about Islam from a Christian perspective that I have read, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I appreciated Chapman's irenic tone above all. I found it a genuinely Christian alternative to all the "West vs. East" culture war rhetoric that has been flying around, especially within the last 10 years. He is measured in his recommendations, and takes pains to allow Muslims to describe what they believe in their own words. That said, he doesn't gloss over the difference ...more
Kristi
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty new area for me and I do believe Chaplin's book has helped me a great deal. The author begins with the basics and progressively unravels what it means to engage the Muslim community in a dialogue about faith. He takes from history, other scholars, and other missionaries and provides crucial information that all Christians should know of before approaching someone of the Muslim faith. And he not only promotes knowledge and access to information, but also understanding and love wh ...more
David Mark
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction to Islam that makes it easy to understand for people who don't have much starting knowledge about Islam but who are well-versed in Christianity. Writing from a Christian perspective for a Christian audience, Chapman does a very good job of presenting Islam factually and neutrally, with only the last chapter providing advice about how Christians should respond to Islam, in accordance with the book's subtitle. I would highly recommend this book, especially to Chri ...more
Mark James
Chapman attempts to bring a balanced and nuanced perspective to Christian/Muslim interaction. In some cases, it works; in others, I believe he goes a little further than I would like or am comfortable with. However, the questions that he raises are needed and this is a good start to get the discussion going and for trying to think through issues. The writing is very much at a lay level and the book covers many areas of interaction from politics to culture.
Heidi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This book provided some useful insights into the similarities and differences between Christianity and Islam, as well as the historical and cultural background leading to today's misunderstandings and fears of each other's faiths. However I found the book to be a bit disorganized, and much of the sections on how to interact with Muslims seemed like common sense to me. I had to trudge through large portions of it. I'm glad I read it, but it took some determination to finish it.
Dad Bowers
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
Chapman has written a provocative volume on the political and religious issues on the Arab-Israeli conflict. I read this for a CIU course on Islam in 2013. He leaves much of main stream Christianity, liberals and evangelicals alike, in describing and biblically defending a better loving way toward reconciliation. Highly recommended for those considering the Mid-East issues.
Richard
For anyone in our post 9/11 world who has no idea what is going on in the Muslim world, this is the book for you. A concise and easy read, this book does a great job at giving readers a great introduction to the Muslim world.
Kari
The first half of the book was mostly history and facts about Islam, and the second half was how Christians should talk with and convert Muslims. I would recommend a less biased book if you're not looking to convert anyone.
Pete Bartel
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonable intro on bringing Christianity to Muslims.
Daniel
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book, that did a great job at looking at all sides of the issue, fairly, and objectively.
Meg Jenista
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hands down, the BEST, most user-friendly book to help Christians understand and engage with their Muslim neighbors. Might make an interesting small group discussion book.
Olivia Snyder
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking in this time of tension between the two religions. What can we do to our Islamic neighbors? How can we live in harmony?
Mozhgon