Start by marking “Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)

Hildafolk

(Hilda #1)

“Hilda is the little girl. And this is her folk tale. And pretty much everything you need to know about how good this is, is there on that absolutely gorgeously delightful cover above. By the end of it, you’ll have exactly the same smile as Hilda has.”
— Forbidden Planet

Hilda sits in her tent listening to the thunder passing overhead when she hears a bell. As she hurtles to
Published November 14th 2010 by Nobrow Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hildafolk, please sign up.
Lumen Answering my own question as I took a chance and was successful. The first Hilda story seems to have originally been named Hildafolk, and later…moreAnswering my own question as I took a chance and was successful. The first Hilda story seems to have originally been named Hildafolk, and later changed to Hilda and the Troll. Nobrow and Flying Eye are essentially the same company (Flying Eye focusing on children's books). It seems future publications are by Flying Eye, so the Hilda #1 that you'll want to select to match future publications is the Flying Eye version (ISBN 1909263788). This is if you're opting for paperbacks as I did.(less)
Nicolas Sandvik Lound Im 38 and loved it. If kids can see Disney movies this is gonna be awesome.

Seth T.
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Hildafolk by Luke Pearson

One of the things missing from too much of our narrative experiences is a sense of whimsy. It's not so much that everything should be whimsical, but more that it seems the vast majority of respected works are serious-minded, somber affairs. Much of what are considered to be the best examples of the storytelling mediums are works that challenge the reader's sense of the world or delve into the not-so-sunny depths of the human condition. As readers of Great Literature, we've become suspicious of h
Vitor Martins
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, read-in-2017
É muito legal quando um quadrinho tão curtinho consegue em menos de 50 páginas apresentar uma personagem cheia de carisma como a Hilda.
A narrativa visual é maravilhosa, o roteiro é certeiro e AS CORES, MEU DEUS!!! EU QUERO CASAR COM ESSAS CORES!
Uma HQ lindinha para ter na coleção e guardar no coração!
Calista
A nice short little fantasy graphic novel for Middle grade readers and those children just starting off. Hilda is our girl and she has some sort of fox deer as a pet. This is a short story. Hilda goes out in the world and she finds a rock that looks like a troll. She hangs a bell off it’s nose to know if it will wake up. Problem is she falls asleep close to it and when she wakes, night is on its way. She makes it home only to hear the troll followed her home.

It’s a very cute story and Hilda and
Cameron Chaney
I read this while working on the Bookmobile one day and I have to say, it is one of my favorite graphic novels right now. Well... "novel" is a loose term as this is only about 25 pages long. But still, the story, characters, and art is amazing. Very heartfelt stuff, right here. It is adorable and can appeal to kids and adults alike. I only subtracted a star because I wish it was a bit longer, but the other books in the series seem to fix that issue. Recommended!
Raina
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I flip through these pages and fall deeper and deeper in love with the LAYOUTS! The COLORS! The adorable cute and creepy WORLDBUILDING!

This first story in the Hilda universe is notably void of exposition - Pearson wastes no time explaining this little world he's created and just throws us right into a little story about Hilda, a Troll Rock, and the Wood Man.

Obv her companion fox-with-antlers is freaking insanely adorbz. I know lots of quirky, hipster* librarians who would wear his pages as a dr
Arielle Walker
Gorgeously whimsical, with some lovely philosophical moments too. And the art is wonderful:

description
Joey Rambles
Sep 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Did you guys see that Netflix show?! Oh my god, it's so GOOD! It's like Gravity Falls all over again!

I've got nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say about the Netflix series adaptation of this book. It's so whimsical and colorful and lusciously animated. I love every single character (David is obviously my favorite!) and I can't wait for more episodes.

But that's obviously going to take a while, so I think I'm going to read the book series instead. Unfortunately, I can't find a copy o
Hilary
This is the first book in the Hildafolk series and although the storyline is not as complex as the later book we have read, it certainly doesn't dissapoint. The book begins with a map of Hilda's valley where she lives with her mum. The colours of this series are beautiful, muted shades of turquoise blues, olive green, mustard, peach and burgundy. The story follows Hilda and her mum and their life in a mountain valley. There is a mix of real everyday life and magical creatures that works very wel ...more
Inna
"-Не бійся заглядати у книжки, там пишний сад, а не сумне прова...
-Замовкни!"

Обожнюю, коли переклад адаптується під культурні особливості країни!
Чарівна річ)))
Christine
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Неймовірно мило, попри те, що ілюстратор скомуниздив усі креативні фішки Міядзакі (Пустище, Морський дух, Дикий праліс). Але загалом класно, дівчачий пригодницький комікс, жаль, що такий короткий.
Hymerka
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
мі-мі-мі

Chi
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is meant to encompass all 5 books out thus far.

What if our world was a lot more? More unknown creatures, some benevolent, some a little scary, but what if you had the heart to realise that there's always the good mixed in with the not-so-good?

Hilda, the eponymous heroine of the series of graphic novels, just so happens to have the heart and insight to treat people and creatures alike with kindness, no matter how outwardly scary they might be.

What I really liked, was that as much as t
Arie ☂

3.5 stars. Whimsy and wistful with little moments of bittersweet. The art is also beautiful. It's so COZY and SNUG that you'll be reaching for a blanket and a cup of cocoa to curl up with on the couch while you read some more of Hilda's adventures.

The Captain
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-readers
Ahoy there mateys! I just don’t get it. How is there a story here? I actually did enjoy the artwork but the story was fragmented. The blurb says that ” The magic and folklore of the wild, windswept North come alive in this book about an adventurous little girl and her habit of befriending anything, no matter how curious it might seem.” Hilda doesn’t befriend the troll and runs away from it and is scared. She also doesn’t like the little wooden man either. She learns the error of her ways because ...more
Banny Carstairs
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just got this comic as a late birthday present and had to read it right away. I'm already too fond of Pearson's little hero, Hilda, because of Netflix original series. She is adventurous, brave, kind and smart. I thought I’d end up reading the comics and loving them as much as the series; I was right!
Kayla (onthefritz)
Hilda is a girl who lives in this secluded land with her mother and other creatures. Creatures include a woodman who is constantly entering their house uninvited, a horned fox pet, and large rock trolls that eat humans.

That's about it, lol. Not a ton happens here, it kind of read like this was all in the child's imagination, but it wasn't. This is targeted for children, which I get, but the plot and dialog had a dry adult humor to it, and there is one character in here that says "Damn It" so...
Berna Labourdette
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Hace mucho tiempo había escucchado estos cómics, pero cuando supe que habían hecho una serie de Netflix decidí leerlos antes de verla. Y son una maravilla. No sólo el dibujo y los colores son perfectos para la historia, sino que las historias y personajes son entrañables, interactuando los humanos con seres mitológicos y de cuentos de hadas (como Twig: un zorro-ciervo,  trolls y nisses), con total normalidad. Hilda es una niña aventurera, sin ser una protagonista insoportable y su relación con e ...more
Katri
Luettu töitä varten. (Mutta olisin kyllä voinut lukea muutenkin! Sopii luettavaksi kaikenikäisille.)

- sarjakuva, jossa luotu hieno maailma erilaisine olentoineen - maailmaa ei selitetä, se vain on ja lukija sukeltaa siihen mukaan
- hauska ja kekseliäitä juttuja ("tuntee kotinsa liian hyvin viihtyäkseen siellä"), taisin nauraa ääneen
- kuvitus on upea ja sarjakuvan värimaailma ihana!
- nopea lukea
- päähenkilö Hilda on toimelias ja rohkea, mutta uskaltaa myös olla hieman arka

Suuri vääryys, ettei näit
Melina Souza
Que livro mais amorzinho <3
A história, apesar de curta, é uma graça e a arte + as cores são *-*
Sério! Ainda bem que já tenho a continuação aqui pra conhecer um pouco mais da história da Hilda aventureira :)
Sesana
Feb 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, children, fantasy
A cute little comic for kids. The art is adorable, and Hilda herself is a fun character to follow. I liked Pearson's take on trolls, too.
nicole
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic book, quest, and fairytale nerds young and old
What a stunning little book this is. Pearson has rendered Hilda's world with incredible fullness, with a perfected palette of inviting and cozy brick, teal, and sea foam, expressive facial expressions and diverse compositions that make text almost unnecessary in his storytelling, and a fantastical setting that joins the mountains of Scandinavian countryside and monsters of its folklore naturally with modern language (“What is this guy's problem?”, “I still think he's very rude, and a weirdo too. ...more
Sabina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tak jo, přiznám se bez mučení, že toto jsem nečekala! Komiks a ještě ke všemu příběh pro děti mě nesmírně bavil a já si četbu užila ani nevím jak. Hilda je neskutečně sympatická dívenka, jejíž dobrodružství bylo zajímavé a pro děti nesmírně poutavé. Ovšem i dospělý si v četbě přijdou na své. Možná mi nevyhovovala jen velikost knihy, jinak tleskám a těším se na další díly. Nedávno vznikl i seriál, který mu rozhodně neunikne :)
Lyvia
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
3.5 stars for the comic.
Hilda is an adorable character that pulls you into her whimsical world full of sweet and charming creatures.
It's definitely a world I want to go back to. I only wish the book had more pages.

4 stars for the Netflix series! If you like Gravity Falls, you're going to enjoy Hilda.
The animation and storytelling are amazing. The show has the same cozy and magical feeling as the books. There are some differences in the storyline between the two though, so I didn't regret rea
Daniel Sevitt
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-comic
Such is the life of a reader! I picked this up after I heard they had made a Netflix show of it and because it sounded fun. It is. Hilda is a delight and her exasperation at the wood-man's appearances are a joy. I was right there with her sleeping in a tent in the rain, feeling the thrill of being safe and snug, yet so close to the elements. I found myself lingering over the panels and relishing every expression. I can't wait to pick up more of Hilda's adventures.
Malobee Silvertongue
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Hilda. I came to this series because the Netflix adaptation made me fall in love, and I wanted to read the books. I am so glad I picked these up because the art in the book is so captivating. The wonderful thing is that it really feels different being immersed in the illustrations vs. being drawn into the animation. I am so glad to have both of these versions now.
Zaz
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
A nice introduction to this strange series. If I found the story too simple for my tastes, I liked the various creatures and Hilda. Her interactions with all the strange characters were nice, with some surprises, and I enjoyed to discover some of them at the same time as her. The artwork was quite pleasant with lovely colors and design. I'll check the next for sure.
Simone Hagemann
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Åh, hvor var den sød og så uendeligt cute. Jeg elske alt ved Hildas måde at være på, og samtidig forelskede jeg mig fuldstændig i den alt for søde træmand.

Jeg skal uden tvivl læse mere om Hilda på et tidspunkt!
Sofia
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute characters and amazing world building! Definitely going to check out the rest of the series
Brianna
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first junior fiction book (and possibly first junior graphic novel) I've read in a long time and it was so cute!!
Matthew Galloway
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, graphic-novel, mg
It was interesting to finally get ahold of the first volume after reading all the rest! It’s still very cute, though the art is different and most of the characters seem a bit different too. It still doesn’t explain things like where Twig came from, but I understood it as well as i did all the rest. I enjoy both Hilda and her mother’s characters more in later volumes, but the foundation of it all seems to be here.
  • Arthur and the Golden Rope (The Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #1)
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef (Adventure Chef #1)
  • The Golden Twine
  • Fairy Tale Comics: Classic Tales Told by Extraordinary Cartoonists
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Nightlights
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • Bolivar
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Three Thieves, #4)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
Luke Pearson is a comic book artist and illustrator, author of Hildafolk and Everything We Miss (published by Nobrow Press). Hildafolk, his first book for Nobrow Press, quickly gained him recognition as a leading proponent of the new wave of English cartoonists.

"Pearson’s whimsical artwork—a cross between Lucky Luke and Miyazaki—creates a magical spell of a mysterious world of hidden creatures, an

Hilda (6 books)
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant (Hilda, #2)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound (Hilda, #4)
  • Hilda and the Stone Forest (Hilda, #5)
  • Hilda and the Mountain King