Start by marking “The Adventures of Jimmie Dale” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Jimmie Dale

The Adventures of Jimmie Dale

(Jimmie Dale #1)

Frank Lucius Packard (February 2, 1877 - February 17, 1942) was a Canadian novelist. He was born in Montreal, Quebec and as a young man went to work as a civil engineer for the Canadian Pacific Railway. His experiences working on the railroad led to his writing a series of mystery novels, the most famous of which featured a character called Jimmie Dale. Jimmie Dale was a w ...more
Hardcover
Published 1917 by A.L.Burt Co.

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Jimmie Dale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Jimmie Dale

Bookworm
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Grey Seal adventures are classic and timeless. Social millionair by day, notorious criminal by night, Jimmie Dale works with life and death hanging in the balance every day. And the "crimes" he commits are mapped out by the equally mysterious lady who discovered his identity one night and who now uses it to make good use of his talents for the underdog and needy.
A bit of an O. Henry style which I found fascinating. The second part was extremely suspensful and I had to set the book down and
Julie Davis
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Jimmie is a rich man who dabbled in safe-breaking and crime for the thrill of it. When he was discovered by an anonymous woman who began pulling the strings and directing his activities, his purpose changed. One, he wants to discover Her identity. Two, his crimes actually are doing good in the long run — which is what we see as each chapter gives us a different adventure.

I originally discovered this book at Librivox but love it so much that I have the Gutenberg.org version on my Kindle. There's
Mh430
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe you don't know it but you've been reading about and watching Gray Seal type heroes your entire life. Frank Packard's Gray Seal character first appeared in print in 1914. In some ways he was inspired by earlier Edwardian adventurers like A.J Raffles, the Scarlet Pimpernel, and Arsene Lupin, but Packard blended those borrowed elements into an entirely new concept: a man with a secret identity who fights crime in an American big city. Decades before Batman appeared on the scene bored society ...more
Rolf Forrester
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written

Great story of a good guy battling crime in his own way. Story ends well. Love it when the good gits win
Shawn Bird
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
My 98 year old father was recently telling me how when he was growing up in Montreal, he was best chums with Lou whose dad was a 'famous novelist called Frank L Packard.' While I couldn't find any information on what had happened to Lou, I was pleased to discover many free Frank L Packard books available via Project Gutenberg and so I'm reading The Adventures of Jimmie Dale. It is so quaint! It reads like an early spy movie- lots of exclamation points to let you know how perilous the troubles ar ...more
Kyle
May 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Jimmie Dale, alias the Gray Seal, is a sort of vigilante and a master safe-cracker. He goes around keeping thugs from doing heinous things, giving back stolen goods, and protecting the poor. He always ends up looking like the criminal, so the police are after him and so are all the crooks he's stymied. Takes place in NYC. Colorful slang, a bit repetitive, awesome scenes in Chinatown's Chang Foo's opium den.
Glen
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Grey Seal is a pulp hero that predates most of them, even the Shadow and the Saint. He's pretty much a Robin Hood type who commits thefts in order to help others. While in reality, he's the gentleman Jimmie Dale, he also had another persona named Larry The Bat.

Pretty good stuff. A bit archaic, but more exciting than many tales of the same vintage.
Nev Thomas
Three and a half stars.Dated and corny but not bad
Becky Rousseau
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
adored this book my Dad and I read it out loud together and my Grandmother read it with him.
Marilyn
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jimmy Dale is a wealthy playboy who pretends to be an opium addict in order to solve crime. He's like the Canadian version of Batman.
Licette
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the suspense and drama
Liz
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Went at a cracking pace and lots if suspense. But also firmly set in another era when electric light was new and doctors made house calls within the hour!!
Sharon Fisher
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good story, great characters. Though you could play a drinking game with how many times 'Jimmie Dale' was written!
Llothil
It was a really awesome book. I loved every minute of it and it surprisingly made great bedtime stories for both of my kids. We all had a blast reading it.
Jenny Grose
rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2015
Christopher Morlock
Feb 19, 2018
Frank Lucius Packard was born in Montreal, Quebec and educated at McGill University and the University of Liege. As a young man he worked as a civil engineer for the Canadian Pacific Railway. His experiences working on the railroad led to his writing a series of mystery novels, the most famous of which featured a character called Jimmie Dale.

Frank Packard died in 1942 in Lachine, Quebec and was bu