Start by marking “Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)” as Want to Read:
Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)

Xone of Contention

(Xanth #23)

New York Times bestselling author of Zombie Lover

A wild and wonderful new magical adventure that leads from Xanth to Earth - and back again!

A cataclysmic cloud hangs over the enchanted land of land of Xanth. Three courageous couples must venture into the O-Xone, a cybernetic interface between Xanth and our own world, to rescue the enchanted realm from destruction.

A xany ne
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published May 2nd 2017 by Tor Books (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Xone of Contention, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xone of Contention

Start your review of Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)
Benjamin Thomas
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-comedic
If you are an avid reader of fantasy fiction, then I highly recommend the first book of the Xanth series, A Spell for Chameleon. It is entirely worthy of its award of the 1977 British Fantasy Society Award (British August Derleth Fantasy Award) for the best novel of the year. The following 3-4 books in the series are also very engaging fantasy novels and I thoroughly enjoyed them as well. But then as the series continued the books began to sink into less than steller range, then merely OK and fi ...more
Brianne
Xanth yet again delves into a different world. Mundania. And not just anyone in Xanth, Nimby. A character that has much more to him then meets the eye.

I didn't have much interest in the story to begin with. But, it got better.
Mary Arkless
I love Piers Anthony's stories.
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. I love the quests that traverse the land of Xanth, taking us to new places, and introducing us to new bizarre things.
Angela
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Xone of Contention is the twenty-third book in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Back with Breanna from the previous book, as a catastrophe places everyone in imminent peril.
The Xanth Series is quite a really long series that has spanned many decades. I remember reading the first few books back in the very early 1980’s and was totally captivated by the epic fantasy that unfolded before my eyes. I collected all the books as each new one was released and have revisited them a few times ove
Dagonell
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Book #: 52
Title: Xone of Contention (Xanth #23)
Author: Piers Anthony
A-Z Title: X for Xone
A-Z Author: A for Anthony
Rating: *** three stars out of five

Piers Anthony wrote a stand alone fantasy novel "A Spell for Chameleon". It won a bunch of awards. He wrote a few sequels...
over 40... I'm not kidding. The 32nd novel in the series is "Two to the Fifth" which is 32. With the other series he writes, he
probably has over 100 novels in print. I recommend another series of his, "Incarnations of Immortal
Sarah J
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Xanth is a fantasy novel that is based almost entirely on wordplay, specifically puns. The series occupies a strange space between silly and weird. Anthony has some odd opinions on themes, such as sex, racism, prejudice, growing up, and the use of magic in everyday life. The writing vacillates between heavy-handed condescending to extended analysis of magic, science, and the application of the rules of Xanth. Some love it, some hate it; I personally thought it was a strange read but harmless, al ...more
Jenn
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a solid Xanth novel. The main characters were not my favorites, but they had good redemptive arcs and a decent adventure. They were a little flatter and more boring than a typical set of Xanth characters, but perhaps that it okay or even intentional, as they are Mundane characters.

The addition of the kids - DeMonica, Demon Ted, Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm - were cute to see.
Kate H
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Xanth books by Piers Anthony were one of the first SciFi/Fantasy series I ever read. I love puns so I have always enjoyed them. Upon re-reading them I can see that they have some weaknesses but overall they stand the test of time. They are a fun and fast read that keeps me amused without any deep thinking required.
Trish
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve always love this series. Fantasy, magic, fun, and puns... what else does a girl need to smile! I didn’t love some of the characters, but that’s good in my book. I didn’t like a few of the personalities but that’s what makes it more real too.
Elisa Kay
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was a little slow to take off. Once it did though I wanted to keep up with the adventures of the 6 main characters. It was great to see some Xanth characters interacting in Mundania.
Don LaFountaine
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book 23 of the Xanth series is a fast paced, pun filled adventure that was a lot of fun to read.

Readers familiar with Xanth will have a passing recollection of the main characters from Mundania, Pia and Edsel. Edsel had bet his friend Dug that he would not like a new computer game. If Dug won, he would get Edsel's bike, and if Edsel won, he would get his girlfriend Pia. Well Edsel won, and he and Pia are married. Dug met and married Kim, and these four are business partners. However, while Kim a
Rob
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor, favorites
In this book, for me, Anthony stepped completely out of the fun and games and into my life. I won't spoil the book, but it has to do with Pia's illness. I actually resented her, and Xanth, and Anthony. Yes, he got to me that much.

I constantly see people running down the Xanth series on here for the puns (which, I remind you, is Anthony doing, so far as I know, an audience-participation event utterly unique in the length of its run, if nothing else) and the 'lack of plot.'

On that second criticis
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I seem to need a fix of pun-ishment every once in a while, and for that I need look no further than an Xanth novel by Piers Anthony.

Can you believe this is number 23 in his long running series? And yes, I am a sucker for puns and light stories housing heavy themes.

This particular Xanth outing deals with prejudice and environmental issues - and if you have a problem with books that are kinda preachy about issues, I would suggest avoiding Pier’s stuff. It is pretty obvious and in your face (in an
Keith Beasley-Topliffe
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Xanth fans (not Xanth newbies)
Somehow I missed this Xanth book when it came out in 1999. It's very Xanthy, for all that a lot of it is set in Mundania. There were lots of reminders that even though Mundania is a lot like Earth, it isn't quite the same. Lots and lots, like calling Triple-B instead of Triple-A when a car (a Neptune, not a Mercury or Saturn) gets flooded. And lumbering onto the mesh instead of logging into the net. I love puns/wordplay and enjoy Xanth, but it really got tedious at times. Add to that some typos ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story was quite dull. I really didn't care about what was going on most of the time.
I really don't understand Chlorine's amazement by cars when she travels to Mundania. They spent time in an RV in a previous book, so they shouldn't seem quite so foreign...
The puns in this book were very bad. They served no purpose other than to add more unneeded filler to it.
Shaunture's "talent" of having incorrect words appear is amazingly stupid.
Thankfully, the innuendo that has been prevalent in previous
Kristen (belles_bookshelves)
"A person’s future is naturally determined by his choices in the present."

description

Not my favorite Xanth novel, but not the worst one either. Kind of repetitive: problems with Demon Earth, a bet is made, unsuspecting people performing an unrelated task are actually players in the demon's game, yada yada.

I do love seeing Mundanes in Xanth, that's always refreshing. And we get the see some of Nimby and Chlorine, one of my favorite Xanth couples.
Rachel
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Xanth novels are a hilarious fantasy series about a land of magic and its inhabitants and occasionally some people from or in Mundania (the real world). One of the reasons I find the Xanth stories so funny is because Xanth is a land of puns. Even though I've only read a few of them and mostly random ones out of order, I've loved all of them, and this one was no exception. They are well written, the characters are well drawn, and the plots are a lot of fun.
Kirsti
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another of the Xanth books I've only read once, and out of order at that time. All Xanth books can be read as stand alone novels in my opinion, but it helps to read them in order sometimes as well to get a full grasp on characters and situations. I really liked how they went back to characters that had previously been mentioned only briefly, and made them the main characters.

Very enjoyable book, I'll definitely read this one again and again.
Emmaa22
May 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Awful. Just Awful. Full of horrible puns, not clever ones, or funny ones, just crap ones. Virtually nothing happens in the story, it is just a vehicle for the painful wordplay. Is it supposed to be ironic? There is a series of these?! And it seems to be very popular. I just couldn´t subject myself to another one of these.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
re-read this one for the alphabet challenge...it has been a few years since I read this and while I really like many of the early xanth series most of the newer ones were just "meh"...this was one of the few newer ones that I enjoyed reading
Marc
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: xanth, fantasy
I found this particular chapter of the Xanth series to be a hot mess. I didn't get what was going on or why and I never felt any connection to the characters or any sense that what they were doing had any meaning at all.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
While this book did have a few redeeming qualities, due to a lack of editorial contribution I would not recommend.

My Rating System:
Crystal
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: piers-anthony
Meh. This re-read felt blah because it was so memorable to me when I read it 10 years ago that I still remember the whole story down to the details while re-reading it. Ten years ago I might have put this as a four or five star but today I kinda feel like two or three stars. Meh.
Cooweescoowee
Dec 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Yet another book in the Xanth series. Very good opening. Quickly moves to the series typical adventure with lots of puns, interesting characters, and action.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Breanna is back and as annoying to me as ever but the other characters make up for it, especially Nimby and Chlorine. And guess what? They threw in a couple of Mundanian gamers, go figure.
Laura Beth
Jan 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
still kind of funny with all the puns and such, but did not enjoy it as much as I did the previous ones that I read when I was younger.
John
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shelf-o-shame
I think I've outgrown these books. I can't handle the never-ending puns for no reason.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
the conflict in xanth has created a problem for many of the inhabitants, a quest has to come to change things
Michelle
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Just another typical Xanth book.

• Lucky Revenge (Lucky's Marines, #6)
  • Retribution  (Lucky's Mercs #1)
  • Ronin (The Pike Chronicles #3)
  • Lucky Invasion: Lucky's Marines | Book Five
  • Prevail (The Pike Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucky Justice: Lucky's Marines | Book Seven
  • Lucky Legacy (Lucky's Marines, #2)
  • Sol Shall Rise (The Pike Chronicles,  #1)
  • Lucky Bastard: Lucky's Marines | Book Eight
  • Lucky Universe (Lucky's Marines, #1)
  • Lucky Empire (Lucky's Marines, #3)
  • Interstellar War (The Pike Chronicles #5)
  • Ghost Fleet (The Pike Chronicles #4)
  • Direct Fire (Drop Trooper Book 4)
  • Lucky's Marines: The Complete Series (Books 1-9)
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Bonesetter's Daughter

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm

Xanth (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)