Start by marking “Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun” as Want to Read:
Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun

Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun

'Knit 2 Together' features lively lessons from beginners and more than 30 original designs for knitters of all abilities and stripes - everything from a lady's detective hat and house slippers to a saucy apron and a table skirt.
Published October 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Knit 2 Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knit 2 Together

Jessica
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, humor
I never tried any of the patterns, though a couple of them looked fun. But I'm a huge Tracey Ullman fan, and have been since back when the Simpsons were just some cartoon shorts on her fabulous skit show. What was great about this book were the stories of her life as a knitter, things like leaving her knitting on the backseat of a taxi and running down the street after it, screaming until the driver stopped, horrified that she'd left her baby on the backseat. And I loved things like lists of fam ...more
Jennifer Defoy
I really liked the patterns in this book. My only problem with the book is that the clothing patterns (like most books) are not made for big girls. So I will have to do some tweaking for some of the patterns.

I did like that there were stories with some of the patterns. I like Tracy Ullman and I liked her even more after reading this book. For some reason when I find out a celebrity is a knitter it makes them more "human" to me.

Overall I think that these patterns were fairly straight forward. I
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Funny stories and adorable patterns. The patterns cover a wide level of skills, with Mel reminding us that Tracey only knit scarves before she decided to make some of these things, so we shouldn't be intimidated. The patterns are the knit equivalent of the really hot girl next door. Super cute, but approachable, and attainable because you knew her in her awkward stage when she dated the pimply kid in your brother's class.

I only wish that there were more sizes given for these patterns, because w
Elianastar
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I resisted for years...

... because the whole idea of the book sounded just too hokey. But it popped up in one of my “special price digital-book” emails last weekend & I just couldn't talk myself out of it for practically *free*!

It *is* a little hokey but it also has many charming designs & even more charming stories! I love it when people share the stories behind their designs & the creation of their projects. This one has both tucked into every design. I'm really glad I stopped resi
Kate
A fun book to read with some interesting patterns.
Regan
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book on a clearance table at...get this...Tractor's Supply! Wow. And it was only $3. Awesome.

So I hadn't intended to read the whole thing, and to suggest that I read every word would not be true (it's a lot of patterns, after all), but I did plow through the entire thing in one long sitting.

There's like 5 patterns in this that I want to do and it's funny and fun and cute. I had no idea that Tracey Ullman was a knitter and it's fun to hear about her path. Overall a fun little book.

I
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft
This is quite a nice knitting book with a wide range of items to knit (e.g. toys, baby clothes, scarfs, a woman's suit) - I found a couple of shrugs that I might make. The layout is nicely designed with what look like easy to follow patterns.

Tracey Ullman is a comedian, and her story about being able to knit only in straight lines is told most amusingly; Mel Clark is a New Zealander who ended up owning a yarn shop in California - their anecdotes along the way are interesting and fun.
Jen
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Purchased for Daphne's Baby Cape pattern (p75) ended up using another pattern (by choice of giftee and for time-sake) but am keeping the book because I will make this cape! Other patterns in the book are equally inspiring. Love the Luxe Neck Warmer. Ullman and Clark's wit throughout is worth the purchase alone.
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters ready for some more sophisticated projects
I got this as a Christmas gift from Peter's mom, and I love it. There are a lot of really beautiful patterns for intermediate/advanced knitters. The combination of the knitting expert (Mel Clark) and the comedienne (Tracey Ullman) make for a light, easy-to-read tone, and the entire spirit of the book is "no matter how hard it looks, you can do it!"
Caulyne B
Aug 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
There are a couple great patterns in this book. It is a funny knitting book-- something I didn't think would exist in this world. I rarely use the yarns suggested in patterns-- so I don't know how available the suggested yarns are. I made the herringbone doctor's bag-- and overall I was pleased with the results. There are a few others that I would like to try.
Bookish
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-crafty
This is a cute book. I never knew Tracey Ullman was a knitter or even designed her own patterns, so that was kind of a cool surprise. I enjoyed reading the little blurbs throughout the book (and the ones before each of the patterns too, which I usually skip), because they're so funny. The patterns were OK, but not enough for me to buy the book.
Diane
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a long-time Tracy Ullman fan I was biased towards liking this book before I opened the cover.

What is inside are eminently wearable and knit-able designs for all ages and genders.

Clear, understandable instructions, beautiful photographs, and everyday usefulness makes this a perfect book for knitters who are tired of shawls and beaded scarves.
Melinda
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I knitted my first big project (the satchel) from this book, and while I could have done a better job reading the directions, it came out useful. I'm using it as my knitting bag now 'cause it's a little too big to carry otherwise.
Sarita
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters in Need of Inspiration
This is like one of those glossy cookbooks that you drool over but will never use to actually make food. Very fun to read, though, and her breakdown of basic skills at the end of the book is well-laid out and helpful.
Sonia
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
The really cool thing is that Tracey reconnected with her knitting at a shop in Fells Point in 2003. That had to be "A Good Yarn," while filming a John Waters film. There are some really good patterns that are on my endless list.
Marla
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
This is really cute. Ullman's stories about her knitting fiascos are a hoot, too. Fun just to read, even if you don't knit. I want to make the slippers if the libraby will let me renew the book! Otherwise, I guess I'll have to buy my own copy!
Knitology
Aug 28, 2007 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Emily
Nov 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I was really surprised at how nice many of the items are in here. There are personal little stories placed throughout the book, which, for some reason, seem a little annoying and unnecessary, but the patterns are good.
Les
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Did you know Ullman means "wool man"? This is just one little tidbit I learned about Tracey Ullman, that and her love of all things knitting. Some cute patterns included, plus lots of laughs about her knitting adventures.
Mightyv
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills
Funny!!!
Sandy
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute book by Tracey Ullman and Mel Clark. Mel is a past owner of Wildfiber in Santa Monica. No new patterns, funny stories.
Maggie
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure I've read this book before. I know I've heard/read the story of Tracy Ullman chasing the car where she left her yarn. Still, it has some good stuff. Liked the patterns.
Sandy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fun look at knitting.
Zelda
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: needlework
She learned to knit while filming a John Waters movie. I can't help myself. I looked at Borders, I borrowed from the library, and I had to have my own, xeroxing would not suffice.
Stacie
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Have had this one from the library before. Didn't make anything from it yet, but I like Tracy Ullman/Mel Clark and it's fun to peruse. A few cute things possible for in future.
Kate
Dec 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
Must go back and make Daphne's Baby Cape if I have a girl (page 75). Also like the Pimlico Shrug (page 108).
Mary Kinietz
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cool patterns
Melissa
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty-goodness
Really wonderful projects. I really want to make a pair of witches' britches!
Rachel
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Beautiful patterns! Too bad they're way beyond my skill set...
Ann
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-books
Hilarious excerpts from Tracey on her battles and victories with knitting. Not stodgy at all and with great, realistic patterns. I highly recommend it.
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Greetings from Knit Cafe
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Scarf Style
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Nation
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • The Knitting Experience: Book 2: The Purl Stitch
  • Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights
Tracey Ullman is an English stage and television actor, comedienne, singer, dancer, screenwriter and author.

Her early appearances were on British TV sketch comedy shows A Kick Up the Eighties (with Rik Mayall and Miriam Margolyes) and Three of a Kind (with Lenny Henry and David Copperfield). She also appeared as Candice Valentine in Girls On Top with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

She emigrated