Start by marking “Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)” as Want to Read:
Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)

Castle Roogna

(Xanth #3)

Millie, a ghost for 800 years wants only one man--Jonathan, and he's a zombie. To prove himself, Magician Dor volunteers to get the potion that can restore Jonathan to full life. But he has to go back through time to do it, to a peril-haunted, ancient Xanth, where danger lurks at every turn....
Published June 23rd 1997 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Castle Roogna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle Roogna

Start your review of Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
Carolynn Markey
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites in the series! I love how Dor tells Irene it's okay to be a women and that nothing is wrong it it. I Iove how many male characters recognize the neo sorcerous' power as fully Magician status while others won't. While this book does have some sexist characters it's not sexist, it's just funny. On to the 4th installment! Loving this silly trope on fantasy literature.
Mary Davis
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Shelves: books-read-2012
B&N Synopsis:

OK, let me just say, I am terrified of spiders. And what lurks on the cover of this one? A GIANT spider! It's amazing that I read this one - but I did when I was a teen - and I am so glad I d
Chan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Binks son Dor is sent on a mission to find an elixir for Millie the Ghost. He has to go back in time, 800 years, to do this. His adventure starts by going through a tapestry, and finding himself in a barbarians body. He teams up with a huge spider by the name of Jumper. The elixir he is to find will bring Jonathan the Zombie, back to life, for Millie the Ghost. In all this is a fun story, and Dor's magic talent of making inanimate objects talk brings a lot of humor to this book.
Angel
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Xanth is what inspired me to read as a young adult, and continues to deliver the same with ever new book! I love em all.
Liz
Nov 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I lied. I haven't finished this book. I'm not even halfway through. But there are far too many brilliantly written life-changing novels out there for me to continue to waste time on Piers Anthony's fantastical drivel.

It's not unexpected. Books that are loved in childhood rarely stand up the second time around. There are a few exceptions, Harry Potter being one that springs to mind. But with the Xanth series it has just got the point where I cannot justify carrying on, and also I'm not masochist
David
Nov 03, 2013 rated it liked it
These books continue to be air headed fun. Three stars because they lack anything that resembles social importance, but Five Stars for fun. I love the fact that Anthony seems to share Heinlein's attitudes toward sex and nudity but with an underlying sense of moral responsibility.
Bink, the hero of the first two books, was forever being tempted but turned away to remain true to his fiancé in book one. When that fiancé turned from him, Bink fell in love with and finally married the mysterious Camel
Megan
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to miss Bink's misadventures, but Dor's are definitely at least as good. Like father, like son.
J Austill
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Xanth books. It is the first to have Dor as the protagonist.

One of the major appeals of this novel has always been the age of the protagonist. I first read it when I was 11 (the second time at 13), so Dor was easy to relate to.

The story is this:

Dor has just reached the age where he does not need a nanny anymore and yet he cares deeply about his nanny and wants to do something nice for her. As she is a Ghost, he decides that the best thing to do would be to bring her b
Emilee Powell
While I am willing to put up with a wide range of literary misogyny (rather inherent in the genre when you read older fantasy,) the constant sexual thoughts of the twelve year old boy in this book is a little awkward. As usual, I love the world and the plot, I just have a hard time forgiving Millie the Maid for being an entirely useless character and Dor's incessant internal manhood monologues too.
Melina
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

As it was ending. xD

The adventure lagged a lot due to heavy detail, but it makes sense. Considering that Xanth is based on a certain peninsula (Florida, I think?), yeaaaah. I do think that the world building was interesting, as always. I love how the writer wrote about Xanth as it was 800-ish years before Dor's time. It was enjoyable reading about evolution and how it easily explains the change of the land and its species under the influence of magic. :B Well, that's something I love ab
Leila Anani
Bink and Chameleon's twelve year old son Dor is getting restless. His parents are away on a mission and he's crushing big time on his nurse maid Millie the ex-ghost who is inexplicably to Dor, in love with zombie Johnathan. He goes to the king who sends him on a mission to de-zombify Johnathan. He goes to find Good Magician Humphrey who sends him back in time 800 years to get the elixir from the long dead Zombie Master with the added mission to chronicle his adventure and thus add to the history ...more
Don LaFountaine
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Book 3 of the Xanth series takes place 12 years after book 2. Dor, Bink and Chameleon's child, is twelve years old, with a Magician level talent that makes others uncomfortable. In addition to that, he is now starting to notice the physical features of the female sex, specifically Millie, the former ghost brought back to life. As Millie is now Dor's nanny, he is closer to her than others, and is thereby more effected by her magical talent.

So, to help him learn about life, as well as prepare him
Natasha
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2016, zombies
So this was another of my favorites as a kid. I just loved the fact that the Castle had, in its own way, a personality and mind of its own. Dor is kind of a brat in the beginning of the book, but turns out to be a likable kid, and the other characters are a lot of fun. There's Anthony's usual amount of smut-treating women as objects/inferior creatures - but not as much as in most of his books, by a long short.

It definitely wasn't as enjoyable as when I was in the forth grade, let me tell you I l
Natalie
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Castle Roogna is about a boy named Dor(who is the child of Bink)and how he goes on a quest to see the Zombie Master so he can get a restorative potion to restore Millie the former ghost's love Johnathan. However the Zombie Master lived eight centuries ago. So now Dor must go back in time, to the fourth wave when the king was King Roogna. On his quest he encounters many thing that are not in his time such as a wool plant(a sheep which is a plant)which is extinct.

My favorite part is when he inco
Kristen
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites. Who can resist a giant heroic spider!
Shay
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dor is an IDIOT! I had predicted who Jonathon was by page 158! It was confirmed for me by 173. I remember being so frustrated with the dramatic irony that it made this book all the better!
Jenniffer
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the last book! I'm enjoying re-reading the series.
Ben Twoonezero
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, clever, imaginative and touching. One of his best.
Brian
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every year for the past 3 years I have tried to finish the year (or beginning of the new year) by reading the series of fantasy books I enjoyed as a young boy. I always remembered reading 'Castle Roogna' several times when I was young, because I enjoyed the story so much. Maybe it was that it was a story that mostly took place 800 years earlier in Xanth and my love of history allowed me to appreciate it better.

I also think Piers Anthony had a better handle on his storytelling and characters by
Shelby
4.5 Stars

I wasn't sure that I would love this story, little boy's first crush on his nanny...yikes. But then it really became a coming of age story for Dor as he figured out the magician that he has the potential to become. His experiences inside the tapestry really help him to learn just how much he doesn't know and that that's ok. The reveal with Millie and Jonathan was pretty expected, but it was still fun. I love the humor in this series. Dor's adventure inside the tapestry and within the hi
Tina
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Whew, this novel. I got this novel for free and that was the only acceptable price. I don’t “hate read” novels, but I knew from the back cover that this one would give me some interesting things to write about!

First, I’ll get into what I enjoyed. It’s jam-packed with a ton of fantasy and mythological tropes/characters, which was kind of fun. Despite his lack of depth, I did like the main character, Dor, as he was a good kid wrestling with the societal conceptions of “manhood” that oppress him (
Angela
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Castle Roogna is the third book in the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Millie the Ghost loves Johnathan the zombie. Magician Dor finds things aren't quite so simple when he decides to help by finding a potion that will solve their problem. This means going back in time to find it, which leads to some danger, and an epic adventure.
The Xanth Series is quite a really long series that has spanned many decades. I remember reading the first few books back in the very early 1980’s and was totally
Athimar
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having just finished a re-read of the third Xanth novel, I must admit that I was thoroughly entertained by it. It is the first of two novels featuring Dor, the son of Bink, the protagonist of the prior two stories. With his power - the ability to speak with the inanimate - Dor is destined to become the next ruler of Xanth. While his parents are in Mundania on the King's business, King Trent decides to test the twelve year old Dor by assigning to him a daring quest - to restore to life the zombie ...more
Enikő
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite some of its drawbacks, I really did enjoy this book. I found it to be very imaginative and well written. Piers Anthony is a big name in his genre, but this is the first of his books that I have read. I was pleasantly surprised the minute I started reading. There is not a word lost, not a mundane detail in this book. (Apart from the Mundanes, of course!) I really appreciated all the puns and humour. This story was original and thoroughly entertaining. However, I do have two bones to pick ...more
Marta
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, just-bad
So, the third book of the Xanth series (so far) I've liked the best. The plot line was interesting, the characters likable (I rather dislike Bink of the first two books). Most appealing of the character list to me seemed Jumper the Spider of unusual proportions.

I do have problems at times with the way the author illustrates women in his world of Xanth. Millie the Ghost was annoying in her role of parody damsel in distress. (but noes, Xanth is not sexist at all)

Also, I'm unsure about the target a
Bryan
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Castle Roogna is third in the Xanth series, and actually a better book than its predecessor (The Source of Magic) but not up to the standard of the initial Xanth debut (A Spell for Chameleon).

I really enjoyed the time travel aspect of this book, seeing how Xanth developed in earlier times. I liked the character of Jumper.

Con: Once again, extremely sexist. But it's light entertainment, and I'm not reading this to obtain my sense of morality.

Also: I saw the plot resolution with Millie the ghost an
Nicole
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Castle Roogna is a magical story filled with time travel and always amazing puns.

Dor is the son of Bink and Chameleon, a full fledged wizard Dor is most likely the next to inherit the crown. Able to talk to any nonliving thing few secrets are kept from Dor. I really liked Dor, while he was like his father in Bink some ways it was clear Dor was struggling to find his own path and grow into his own man. At twelve years old Dor is just starting to enter the path of becoming a man. Having been given
Caitlyn Jane
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll open this review with a quote relevant to the Xanth novel series; "All things make sense; you just have to fathom how they make sense." -Piers Anthony

What an absolutely INCREDIBLE author Piers Anthony is. The imagination, witty puns and hilarious characters are exactly what I look for in fantasy. Such a classic approach to the elves, griffins & goblins type of fantasy, Anthony twists in puns galore along with sharp-tongued, quick thinking characters to create the most loveable stories for a
Ian Black
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Castle Roogna
The 3rd Xanth Novel

This is a third Xanth novel. Castle Roogna. This book is about a magical land named Xanth. Dor is trying to do something good for someone he knows because trent, the king of Xanth, told him to. Dor is about to be king. He needs to go back in time to find the Zombie Boss to bring millie the maid’s zombie boyfriend back to life.
If you like magic, and restrictions, I advise looking at this book. It has lots of magic, and is very realistic to be a magical land. It’s
Moonstar326
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciaters humor.
Shelves: bookshelf
This book, the 3rd in the series, is one of my favorites. I enjoy the puns and silliness of the book, as well as the gore and quest objective.
The characters are interesting. I didn't particularly like how Millie was the silly air-headed maiden. I liked her when she was sweet, mature, and a strong young (ish) women. I DO like the character Dor plays in this, as the young, experienced kid expected to play the role of a grown-up hero. And I love Jumper.
I found the first 2 books to be somewhat dull

• Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)
  • War of Three Waters: The Watershed Trilogy 3
  • Darkenheight: The Watershed Trilogy 2
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • River of Blue Fire (Otherland, #2)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • Spock, Messiah! (Star Trek Adventures, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm

Xanth (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth #11)