Start by marking “Among Warriors: A Woman Martial Artist in Tibet” as Want to Read:
Among Warriors: A  Woman Martial Artist in Tibet

Among Warriors: A Woman Martial Artist in Tibet

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the fortress that is Tibet no place is more remote than the province of Kham and no people more elusive than the Khampa, the fierce horsemen who for twenty-five years waged a relentless guerrilla war against the Chinese occupation. In Among Warriors, a different kind of warrior sets out to find the Khampa: Pamela Logan, an American with a Ph.D. in aerospace science, and ...more
Published February 24th 1998 by Vintage (first published April 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Among Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among Warriors

Amber
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this travelogue. The author is strong and independent, traveling throughout western China and Nepal with really only her physical, emotional and intellectual strength to move her on over the months. I love that she is honest about the sometimes ridiculous nature of travel. And, unlike all the other travelogues I have read lately, she is traveling for herself, not in search of love to complete her as a person.
Anne
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: martialarts
I enjoyed this book, though it was largely poorly written. It is obvious that Logan is a scientist and not an author, because she consistently used awkward constructions in her writing. That being said, it was still an engaging and interesting read.
Nick
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: martial-arts
Overall an enjoyable read describing Pam's travels through primarily China and Tibet. I'd wished she had spent as much time describing her trip through NW China, Pakistan and Nepal as she had with the first 3/4 of her trip. The last 30 pages of the book seemed very rushed as if they were trying to keep the book to a number of pages. I enjoyed the description of her few visits to Kham, descriptions of the people she met, places she visited and challenges with traveling to Lhasa

The integration of
Soulmuser
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is travel writing at its best. Among Warriors: A Woman Martial Artist in Tibet by Pamela Logan is pure joy for the traveler, for the journeyer within us. Inspiring, insightful, and exhilarating Pamela took me on a road that few have traveled in Tibet. Weaved into the vast desolate and beautiful landscape of Tibet is Pamela's personal quest as a martial artist for the famed warriors called the Khams.

I haven't read too many travel books - simply because the few that I have read seem either aw
Erin
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: martial-arts
Overall I thought it was a very goo book for karateka and other martial artists. The scholar of Tibet inside of me often rebelled at the Orientalist nature of the assumptions the author continuously made throughout the book (such as Tibet being synonymous with Buddhism). But as a travelog of a martial artist and her trials and lessons learned as a martial artist and as a person through her travels I found it insightful.
Joan
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author's precise descriptions on the places she has been to & the people she interacted with made me feel like I've traveled with her! I have also learned a lot of insights on life, thanks to her book. I do hope to hear or read how her family & friends have reacted to her adventures in Tibet! :)
Sherap Therchin
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being a Khampa myself,it's a great feeling to read it. I could actually imagine myself going through Pamela's journey, especially Dhorpatan. This book was a random pick but once I started I couldn't keep it down. I am not sure how others might feel about this but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Never thought Dhorpatan my birthplace would become a part of any book.
Rebecca
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was not the best-written book, but it is an interesting depiction of the author's travels by bicycle and foot in Tibet and China. I especially enjoyed how her Shotokan martial arts experiences are woven throughout.
Zan
Sep 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: hardly anyone
Shelves: recycling
At first, this tale of a martial artist traveling through Tibet really engaged me, but sadly it soon became as arduous to read as her bike trek through grueling mountains and the infamous beaurocracy of Chinese officials turned out to be.

I couldn't finish it.

Dec 13, 2016
E.P. Shirleyjack
Feb 28, 2011
Stuart
rated it did not like it
Feb 09, 2013