Start by marking “Ghost” as Want to Read:
Ghost

Ghost

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  732 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Navigating a time ship into the void beyond the universe, Captain Shetland searches for a new energy for Earth, but instead finds a galaxy-sized black hole--the ghost of all reality. Reissue.
Published September 15th 1992 by Tor Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost

Michael
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was ok

Okay, so this book has THE WEIRDEST sex scene I have yet to read: they're standing up, foreplaying and naked, then fall onto the bed, and as they land, he enters her.

I mean, I thought this was science fiction; this is clearly fantasy. Things get injured trying to pull stunts like this. Even as a tween I thought this sounded hard to believe.

Other than that scene, I only remember that the main character had a perfect memory. He remembered EVERYTHING that EVER happened to him. Everything he read,
Nigel S.
Jun 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...the story is pretty much incoherent gibberish. It's like the guy who wrote this had a brain hemorrhage at some point (I'm guessing somewhere around page 60), but was d----d if he was gonna let himself die before he finished his book. Completely incomprehensible things that go down include the captain wandering around a chessboard like Alice in Wonderland, a dragon eating a gingerbread castle, a fat chick puking everywhere, and a part where it's pretty clear that someone doesn't know what the ...more
Bettie☯
BBC Radio Classic Sci Fi Audiobook

A sci-fi adventure by cult writer, Piers Anthony

First published in `IF Worlds of Science Fiction` magazine September 1966.

NB - A green knitted dress is mentioned; knitted items fairly festoon literature.

SmarterLilac
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
A fascinating, if not very well written look at the near future. It is easy for me to 'imagine' how this could become our reality, after the energy resources of earth are used up, and the irrational world government starts eliminating problems through irrational banning of their sources. Oh, wait...
Michael
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
A lot of people have given this book one star and decried the author for his crazed prose, clearly influenced and degraded by the use of hallucinogenic drugs. I think these people are wrong, on both counts.

Firstly, this is not a one star book or I would not have been able to finish it. I still have faith that Piers Anthony can write. It is just in this instance he seems to used what talent he has to produce a pretty shitty work of science fiction. Two stars.

On the issue of hallucinogens, I feel
April
Dec 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
According to the back cover, I read this book in November of 1993... when I took it off the shelf I remembered liking the book, I remembered there was a ghost in space... and that was ALL I remembered. When I got into the book I realized I really didn't remember a thing about it! I find myself wondering how many books on my shelf have false memories attached to them. By the date I was pregnant with DeForest at the time of first reading but can associate no particular events or emotions to it at ...more
BookMattic
Aug 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have no idea what this author was thinking when he wrote this book. Maybe he was on drugs or a little retarded at the time he was writing it. No wonder he couldn't find anyone who would publish it. Although I took about 6 months to read a 273 page book which is way too long and at one point I just felt like putting the book down forever I decided that I had to find out what was going to happen by the end of the book.

Ghost starts out on a far future Earth with the main character named Shetland
Erik Graff
Jul 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This was one of the worst pieces of fiction I have ever encountered. The 'science' is bad; the plot overambitious and not even remotely plausible; the protagonist, like the title, a 'ghost' primarily characterized by sexual neurosis.

Why did I finish this?

Well, first, I found it at a local bookstore, being given away for free. Second, I have a close friend who devours SF. Third, I recall having read Anthony with some enjoyment years ago. Fourth, I read it as a bedtime book, a purpose which it did
sonnet
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on time travel. Typical dystopian Earth. Abrupt ending- was really looking forward to seeing how all those fantastical concepts at the end would be brought together logically. I guess be author realized that was a problem and decided to just end the book while he was still ahead. All that said- I still really enjoyed this book! And some parts of it genuinely surprised me. So I'll still give it 4 stars, because I love all sci-fi & space travel novels. If you don't have that b ...more
Akd200 Martin
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I skipped through much of this book! I skipped though his descriptions of science concepts I already knew, and I skipped through the existential LSD paragraphs. The biggest thing I liked about this book is that a young man wrote his name on the book page end, and when I read the start of the book about all the "sex" I figured it made all the rounds up to non sex parts though all the young boys at school!
Marilyn
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
One of those dated sci-fi books from the early 60s that tries to be progressive by making a point to mention diversity. Look, nearly half the crew are women! - of the three, one is the ship's cook and one is a supply clerk or something. Lots of pronouncements about how men are naturally bolder, more promiscuous, etc. Very Heinleinian. Still, I like what it's trying to do with race, at least. Tl;dr: meh.
Jaclyn Lamar
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a decent book. Not my favorite Anthony novel, but an enjoyable sci-fi experiment. It reminds me a lot of Orison Scott Card's Xenocide and Children of the Mind in a lot of ways, but the plot and characters are not as deep or transcendent as Card's. It explores some similar concepts and I enjoy seeing them played out in a different way. I wouldn't seek it out or go through any enormous trouble to hunt it down but if you see it at a bargain book sale go ahead and toss it in your cart.
Ayacalypso
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Funny thing is the first time I tried to read this book, I had a hard time understanding it. I even underlined words to look up in the dictionary, hoping it would help (this was back in high school). Since then, I've read it again once or twice and absolutely loved it - great use of symbolism and it really makes one think about race. One of my favorites by this author.
Kathleen
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tech science fiction fans
Piers Anthony likes to play games in his books, and this one is a game that I particularly enjoyed. My reading group wasn't quite as entertained as I was, though, so it may be a bit too technical for some readers.
LucidStyle
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just adore Piers Anthony's thoughtfulness, his willingness to sit down with a difficult concept (the afterlife, time travel, the universe, the future of humanity and society) and work it out into something digestible by his readers. Brilliant. Thanks, Mr. Anthony, for taking us on that ride.
Rhi
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just not a very well put together book. Not enough depth to the world for a scifi and the plot and writing is pretty awful at times, felt like the author lost interest and winged it. Quite sexist, I know times were different when published but I just couldn't enjoy it at all.
Ilka
Apr 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Not a bad book so much as one that requires more thought and patience than I have on an average day (small children will do that to a person). When I was in college I would have loved speculating about time travel paradoxes, the borders of the universe etc.
Atomiczagnut
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty interesting psychological thriller in a classic sci-fi setting. I love the way Anthony explores the human psyche. The parts about future Earth were eeriely similar to my own feelings about how renewable energy technology will advance.
Dr
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not Xanth, and well worth the read.
Mark
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Good for a quick read, skip some of the boring parts, overall entertaining. Typical Piers Anthony, some of the same elements from one of my favorites, Macroscope.
Sean Randall
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read the short story and found it interesting. As an expanded (all be it conceptually earlier) work I don't think this really has much more to offer.
OK
Apr 12, 2012 added it
PICKED IT BACK UP 8-20-13
Rose
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Disappointing book from an author I normally like, some neat concepts, but overall it is weird and beyond the main character they seem more like NPCs than developed support characters.
Dale Rosso
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting story concept, Anthony excels no matter the type of book he writes.
Krait
  • The Bug Wars
  • The Lion Game
  • Of Time, Space, and Other Things
  • Once in a Lifetime
  • The Timegod (Timegod's World, #1)
  • The Knights of the Black Earth: A Mag Force 7 Novel
  • Shield
  • The Stars in Shroud
  • Skeen's Return
  • Duel of Dragons (Dragonsword, #2)
  • Burning Tower
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Brother to Shadows
  • Endless Universe
  • Alongside Night

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...