Start by marking “Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast” as Want to Read:
Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast

Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast

If you want to motivate your employees to be more productive, convince your customers to use more of your products and services, encourage a loved one to engage in healthier habits, or inspire any change in yourself, renowned psychologist Dr. Michael Pantalon can show you how to achieve Instant Influence in six simple steps. Drawing on three decades of research, Dr. Pantal ...more
Published May 9th 2011 by Little, Brown Spark (first published May 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Instant Influence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instant Influence

Start your review of Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast
Nan
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So far I've used this book to kickstart my job search and really do the tasks; help my mother-in-law articulate her real reasons for moving from her big house to an apartment (they aren't what we thought); and help a client organize his office. Now he's using the same technique to help his law clients discover their true motives for settling out of court, staying married, being civil to each other, etc. In my teaching days I could have used this to draw from students their own reasons why they w ...more
Niels Philbert
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am biased as this area is in my main interest area. I think Pantalon succeeds in bringing something different and concrete to the table; stressing autonomy's role in behavior change. That's what the book is about.

And that is probably what is at play, if you experience the six step process to be restrictive. The only thing I can say is: you don't have to use it. But imagining it actually works, why might you try?
Orbs n Rings
May 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
A thought provoking book with a controversial concept, that while not for everyone, may work for you.

I began this book with much enthusiasm then it kind of dwindled once I started to read about how this concept is actually implemented. The reason is at first I began to recognize this concept as being reverse Psychology and nothing more, being a Psychology major I tend pick these things up. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt and continued to read and later in the book took noticed it is a so
Phil Gerbyshak
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. Immediate and actionable ideas. The formula for influence is perfect for influencing yourself. It helps you find your real why - and gets you moving towards your goal fast.

I lost 9.2 pounds in 20 days after setting a small instant influence goal. It works!!
Margot Note
"Instant Influence is based on three principles:
1. No one absolutely has to do anything; the choice is always yours.
2. Everyone already has enough motivation.
3. Focusing on any tiny bit of motivation works much better than asking about resistance" (25).
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Audible
I don't generally read self-help books, but I picked this one up during an Audible "spend two credits and get three books" sale. The title and synopsis were intriguing--who wouldn't want to be able to get other people to do what you want?--but that's about where it stops.

The idea of this book is that you can, in about seven minutes with some leading questions, get anyone to see their own motivation for doing something they originally thought they didn't want to do (go camping, turn in those wee
Rita
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a book that has a lot of knowledge in it. The information inside this book can be used in everyday life. I have had to read it more than once and it is a book that can be used as a reference and a review to deal with people. I was glad I was able to get this book in my hands. It is nice to know that you can't make anyone change unless it is their idea not yours. Since I am a nurse, I learned they are using this technique with medical students in training. Great book for ...more
Peter P.
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There's plenty to like about this book, but its repetitiveness, and the idea that I was being pounded with the same formula over and over, became tiresome. I felt like 50-pages got the job done and the rest was Groundhog-Day.
Aditya Nath
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thanks to this book that i figured out that such category are not for me. Drifted away at least three to five times while reading. So I'm just gonna stop reading it.

It has a lot of repetition of the same things. I understand it may be to foster the ideas strongly. Plus, i simply dont want to lean more about better ways to interact with other humans. Seema less organic to me and more of a scripted conversation if i follow the methods in the initial chapters of the book.
Joe
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent easy to follow book

This book can be very easily summarised in a few simple steps and I encourage you to Google Mike Mandel's one page summary of the key points.

It sounds too simple to be true but in reading the book I have become a believer and have seen some improvements in outcomes when I have followed the system at work, with customer services and with my children.
Mahasin
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: success
This book is straight and to the point. I love when the method is explained in the first chapter and not buried in the book to make you read more, if you don't want to. The method works on adults, kids, coworkers, etc. I have found a new way to get my point across, and more agreement with my ideas.
Chris Chase
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Ilteris
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
No silver bullet.
Oleksandr
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Book on motivational interviewing.
Interesting to learn 6 steps of questions can be asked to motivate people.
I enjoyed reading this book
Ones Dove
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book.
Meaghan
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Like many readers, I'm sure, I began reading this book with a bit of skepticism. After all, it promises satisfaction after only seven minutes. But as I read on, I was more and more convinced that this could actually work. As Pantalon takes you through the process, there is a lot of repetition. At first, this was slightly irritating. However, I soon realized it was quite necessary in order to really get a feel for the process.

The conversations focus on what the "influencee" (as he calls it) want
Fredy Guzman
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and lent to someone and never saw it again. However over the years that followed whenever I needed a personal motivational nudge I thought about the exercises found in this book to get me to take action.
Carielyn Mills
how many times does someone have to mention in their own book that they're from yale? it's on the front cover, in the first sentence of chapter 1, twice on page 6, sprinkled throughout the stories of the people he's helped ("How come you didn't let me know, since you're a big psychologist at Yale?" - p. 139), and of course in the 'about the author' section (in the first AND second sentences, in case we didn't remember from the dozens of times he mentions it in the book).

as for his 'world famous'
Wendy Hines
Instant Influence is a great motivational tool for business and corporations. In six steps, Pantalon shows how to influence not only yourself, but others. There is no should, could, or would but a might do list and then do them. There are simple solutions within these pages to approach that. Take your motivations the right way and with them, you empower others, and become a better influence. It teaches you to change your frame of mind, then shows you how to influence yourself and others. This is ...more
Daniel Dent
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
Book teaches one method for influencing yourself and others. It's built off some concepts such as 5 Why's, respecting and preserving autonomy and basic psychology principles that have been proven again and again. I found the concept and phrasing interesting and it's a tool I'll experiment with (for myself, motivating kids and employees). Like the author ends with, you can't be guaranteed to be suggesting the right thing everytime and ultimately the power of these techniques lies in reinforcing o ...more
Greg Allen
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was interesting. There were alot a things about it that I liked, yet there were some things that made me feel like I would be manipulating if I tried what I was asked to do. I'm curious to try this on my self and see what happens.
Jenny
Apr 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Took this book on vacation, and although I love the concepts in the book, it was a bit of a heavier read. If you want a basic bookon this topic, I would recommend.

I recieved this book through Goodreads Giveaways, and did take some things away.
Andy
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it
This describes a 7-minute version of motivational interviewing. Important information, but not really a readable full-length book for a general audience. More like something that should have been a little manual.
Angie
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book changed the way I think about persuasion. Pantalon's premise is that you have to tap into the motivation that is already there rather than trying to try to "create" motivation. I forwarded some of the insights to several of my co-workers.
Prati
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down as it had such valuable advises about human behavior and how to deal with difficult people. Enjoyed every single word of this book by Micahel Pantalon and thankful to him for writing it.
Tim Dugan
interesting ideas. but I can just imagine the answers I would give to the suggested questions..."why is doing X important to you? It's not. “ on a scale of one to ten, how ready are you to do X?" zero. "what would it take for you to move up to a one?" and so on.
Matthew John
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book requires multiple readings and daily practice, the psychology of Instant Influence is really simple, but applying it in the real world is way more difficult. I really enjoyed this book and I'm applying it to my daily leadership activities and sales calls.
hemlet kiai
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mylibrary
An interesting approach on how to influence oneself/others. Will definitely try this 6 steps approach on myself. I have my own little battle to fight. If I can be influenced and change my behavior then maybe I can help others. Overall a great book. Worth reading.
Zack
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want to learn how to motivate people - including yourself, this is a great book. When I say motivation, I mean get them on the same page of understanding and willingness to do what needs to be done.
shinfu
Apr 23, 2011 marked it as to-read
I have just won this book from First Reads. I look forward to reading it. Thanks.

• To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others
  • The 12 Week Year
  • Impro
  • Top Secret
  • Start with No: The Negotiating Tools That the Pros Don't Want You to Know
  • Men Chase, Women Choose: The Neuroscience of Meeting, Dating, Losing Your Mind, and Finding True Love
  • The Influential Mind: What the Brain Reveals About Our Power to Change Others
  • The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact
  • Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond
  • Exactly What to Say: The Magic Words for Influence and Impact
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Growing and Using Stevia: The Sweet Leaf from Garden to Table with 35 Recipes
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Inside the Nudge Unit: How Small Changes Can Make a Big Difference
  • Cartooning: Cartooning 1: Learn the basics of cartooning
  • Draw & Paint Fantasy Females
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • Hypnotherapy
Michael V. Pantalon, Ph.D. is a motivational coach, consultant, speaker, therapist and author, as well as an award-winning faculty member and psychologist at Yale School of Medicine. At Yale, Dr. Pantalon teaches courses in clinical psychology and conducts research on the effectiveness of his adaptation of motivational interviewing (the basis of Instant Influence).

Also find him on Facebook and You