Start by marking “The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention” as Want to Read:
The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention

The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention

Focuses on a class of genes called Immediate Early Genes or IEGs. This book summarises the science behind the infant fields of Energy Psychology and Energy Medicine, both of which offer promising epigenetic medical therapies, and describes a few of the thousands of powerful personal breakthroughs that are being achieved by therapists and doctors.
Published May 1st 2007 by Elite Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Genie in Your Genes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Genie in Your Genes

Iona  Stewart
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an exciting book about epigenetics - the control of genes outside the cell -, and can be read in conjunction with Candace Pert's "Molecules of emotion" or Bruce Lipton's "Biology of Belief".

Finally, modern scientific research is confirming what many of us have known for some time, that genes do not control our destiny, but that our consciousness - meditation, prayer, "social goodwill" - and lifestyle are what in the last resort determine our state of health.

This i
Jeff Maziarek
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Over the past three years I've done a great deal of study into energy medicine, and like the author of this book I've come to the conclusion these healing modalities should no longer be considered "alternative" approaches. Rather, as the extensive evidence cited in this book suggests, going forward tools such as the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and Tapas Acupressure Technique (TAT) could actually serve as the primary treatment approach, with traditional allopathic medicine becoming the "alt ...more
Sondra Barrett
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually loved this book. I've had it on my shelves for a few years - helped them on the day of release with their blitz so received the book as a thank you. I thought this would be too heady. Instead it engaged me from both my scientist's perspective and as an explorer of health practices.

The biological science is well-researched and inspiring that we can change the expression of our genes. Bruce Lipton in Biology of Belief talks about changing our genes with consciousness. Dawson gives some fasci
Catherine Green
I loved this book! It took a while to understand in places due to the complicated medical terms, but I recommend you persevere, and you keep reading until it makes sense. The author discusses our relationship with modern medicine, and how we really need to start taking responsibility for our personal health and wellbeing, rather than expecting doctors to fix everything with drugs. Yes, I appreciate that drugs and medication has its place, but I also think there are so many casual viruses and ill ...more
Sharfunnisa Quadri
Enlightening!

Someone that has always been a big proponent of science and often times struggling with science not being able to answer the questions and myriads of mysterious diseases and healing this totally opens a whole new world.
Looks like I am going to end up reading all the references from this book next to dig in more into energy Medicine, TAT, EFT and everything in between.
Ietrio
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
> Your genes respond to your thoughts, emotions and beliefs. The way you use your mind shapes your brain, turning genes on and off in ways that can dramatically affect your health and wellbeing.

I rest my case.
Lori Hammond
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing book. Read this if you want to understand the science behind how our mind communicates with our body to orchestrate healing.
Melanee Packard
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is AMAZING!! It helps us to understand that WE have the ability to heal ourselves! It ALL lies within. Energy medicine is the future.
Amy Dale
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Gets pretty technical at times,bit laborous,but the info is so important and inspiring. We modify our DNA every moment,we create our bodies and are in full control of our healing.
Cheryl Malandrinos
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Are you interested in knowing more about your ability to heal yourself? Then you might enjoy reading through "Genie in your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention" by Dawson Church.

Using hundreds of studies to support his work, in addition to several real-life examples, Church explains your body's ability to control the expression of DNA strands. Faith, emotions, intentions, and beliefs are all part of this emerging field of science that indicates we have more co
Kathie
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Energy Follow thought...Energize yours!
I was delighted to see such a comprehensive, informative and enlightening approach to energy medicine.
As an acupuncturist and herbalist I know that energy medicine and holistic care need to be integrated into Western medicine to resolve our health crisis. Drugs, stress, toxic environments and foods are ruining us. Western medicine only offers to mask the symptoms and by default the health of our society worsens decade to decade.
No one expl
Alicia
Oct 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
Review from Amazon.com

The author uses the metaphor of a zoo to describe the various personalities and groups found in the typical organization. The characterizations are most apt, like hyenas who conspire together to bring down larger animals, to whales, whose strengths often become their weaknesses. The author (a biologist turned organizational change coach), also shows how you can use the habit of identifying which kind of creature a colleague or competitor most resembles to your a
Cristina
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Gateway to a better heath and future medicine:
The title of the book attracted my attention "...the new biology of intention". I was curious about it and wondered if its concept is similar to a book I've read before - "The Biology of Belief" by Bruce Lipton. So, I bought it and after reading it, I found it is a great book with easy-to-comprehend explanation, it is informative, inspiring and full of details with profound and thoughtful ideas. Both of the books are great! Both of them sugge
Judy
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What an exciting nonfiction book my friend has given me. Is this the start of a medical breakthrough of the future? So much of my physics/ biology/ chemistry knowledge is integrated here; I have questioned quantum mechanics usefulness many times and yet here is one more application! Oh, that I could have made head way with Schrodinger's math! This book I can grasp.

I am particularly fascinated with the arguments about energy--nano-energy, bio-photons, and magnetism. Until about a month ago I wa
Justin
Sep 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Leading amongst the books many sins, it never really gets into the topic it is supposed to be about. The amount of discussion on epigenetics is woefully limited.

The sited sources are rarely not another book by the author or other similar book.

I found it interesting that Kaiser in Portland, OR was conducting a study on TAT, but was not very surprised by the results, which can be found at this link:

To quote the findings:

"The primary analysis showed no significant difference in weight
Jocelyn
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't believe in faith healing, so those sections mentioning it made my eyes roll. However, I do believe that meditation is only beneficial for the body, so would encourage anyone else to keep reading. I also got the feeling that the author assumes every reader believes in god, and "faith" or "prayer" is brought up in every chapter. I highly disagree that you have to believe in a god to pray, be spiritual, connected to your inner self or whatever. This factor alone almost made me put the book ...more
Melanie Kirdasi
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have no experience with TAT which is the primary focus of the book and would make my review of limited use. I was interested in the segments designated to early genes and the scientific information provided in simple language as to how these genes are stimulated in the human response system. I would have like to have seen some conclusive long term studies related to the chapters on energy psychology,actual well documented studies as opposed to anecdotal examples.
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am not much of a scientist or quantum physicist, but this book was easy for me to understand about how our thoughts and feelings have a profound effect on our physical, mental and emotional health. Anyone who is curious about energy healing work and how it ties into the science of biology will glean wonderful understanding from this book.
Sherrie Smith
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an EFT practitioner, this book is a must read for anyone interested in the subject of Energy Medicine or Energy Psychology. Epigenetics is a new field in medicine that will change the future of how we see illness.

Statistics from several studies show that 87% of our illness/doctor's visits are stress related.

This book supports the science of that statistic.
Monica
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Other than the scriptures, there is no other book I would recommend more. Fascinating, inspiring, illuminating. If you don't read it, you'll remain in miserable ignorance of the wonderful potential of the human mind and body.
Michelle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME! I have already quoted this book at least 25 times! So much is in here in soooo many fields!! Read it!!!
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is ultra fascinating, it talks about our genes and what possibly triggers certain illnesses...and if we can figure that out, better health can be acheived!
Gracie
Aug 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Terrible title, compelling book that explores connections between biology psychology and meditation.
Victor De witt
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
PROFOUND!
Amy
Jul 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
From a research scientist's point of view this was truly horrible and misleading. It was full of pseudo-science and misinformation. A disservice to readers.
Gundega
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved the concept of this book. And I enjoyed that it's not only all about the esoteric stuff, but it's backed up by scientific facts and research
Barbara
Dec 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science
sham. not epigenetics.
Jeanne
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book has the potential to transform medicine, health care, and wellness. Packed with scientific studies, yet easy to read.
Jamie Lee
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about energy therapies that are accessible to all. Dawson Church writes about more that 300 clinically proven trials. It's a must read I'm already rereading!
John R Naugle
Nov 15, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Over 2,500 years ago the Hindu Prince, Siddharta Gautama (founder of Buddhism) stated: "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world." This book teaches you to take control of your consciousness and to use it to influence your health and your genetic expression. Recall that TV series HEROES? "Save the cheerleader, save the world!" As we become our own cheerleaders by celebrating the life, friends, family and goals we've been given then we s ...more

• Healing Words
  • The Open-Focus Brain: Harnessing the Power of Attention to Heal Mind and Body
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • The Quantum Doctor: A Physicist's Guide to Health and Healing
  • The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in the Cultivation of Well-Being
  • The Rebirth of Nature: The Greening of Science and God
  • The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness
  • Spiritual Nutrition: Six Foundations for Spiritual Life and the Awakening of Kundalini
  • Miracles Through Pranic Healing
  • The Creation of Health: The Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Responses That Promote Health and Healing
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Ultraprevention: The 6-Week Plan That Will Make You Healthy for Life
  • Truth vs. Falsehood: How to Tell the Difference
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • The Promise of Energy Psychology: Revolutionary Tools for Dramatic Personal Change
  • Awaken Healing Energy Through the Tao: The Taoist Secret of Circulating Internal Power
  • Molecules of Emotion: The Science Behind Mind-Body Medicine
  • Beyond Boredom and Anxiety: Experiencing Flow in Work and Play
“The poet William Butler Yeats said, “We taste and feel and see the truth. We do not reason ourselves into it.” 3 likes
“Besides helping the person prayed for, it is likely that prayer benefits the person doing the praying. Studies show that regular acts of altruism prolong our lives and improve our own happiness.29 Prayer is good medicine for the person doing the praying as well as the receiver.” 2 likes