Start by marking “Il guardiano degli innocenti (La saga di Geralt di Rivia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Il guardiano degli innocenti (La saga di Geralt di Rivia, #1)

Il guardiano degli innocenti (Saga o Wiedźminie #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  68,760 Ratings  ·  4,044 Reviews
Geralt è uno strigo, un individuo più forte e resistente di qualsiasi essere umano, e si guadagna da vivere uccidendo quelle creature che sgomentano anche i più audaci: demoni, orchi, elfi malvagi... Strappato alla sua famiglia quand'era soltanto un bambino, Geralt è stato sottoposto a un durissimo addestramento, durante il quale gli sono state somministrate erbe e pozioni ...more
Hardcover, Narrativa #404, 370 pages
Published May 2010 by Nord (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Il guardiano degli innocenti, please sign up.
Wojtek Generally speaking: yes

Reading order should be: The Last wish -> Sword of Destiny -> Saga (starting with Blood of Elves)
There is Storm season,…more
Generally speaking: yes

There is Storm season, published recently. I’d say it could be read after saga
(less)
Susan If you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every…moreIf you enjoyed the side quests, then yes. You'll meet a lot of characters present in the game, and the type of stories is similiar, where almost every character, important or not, has their backstory, there's no black-and-white morality. Stories are bound by Geralt telling them after some time to a young girl.
If you enjoyed the main plot and don't care that much for the stories and (mostly) unrelated adventures, you can start with Blood of Elves. That's when the whole drama with war and Ciri begins.
Also: the author himself considers the game to be very good, made in similiar style, and showing a faithful picture of the Witcher world (even though the games are not canon).(less)

Aaron
May 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think about a fantasy book. Think about your favorite fantasy book. Chances are, it included elves or maybe dwarves. It probably had knights or something like them. It was, most likely, heavily influenced by Tolkien, or his successors, and it was probably based, at least in part, on a certain Anglo-saxon, or maybe French, sort of medieval culture. And if you read fantasy, there's probably 15 or so more like it on your bookshelf or your e-reader of choice.

So here's my recommendation: put down Lor
Markus
A Netflix production of the Witcher is now confirmed, set to portray the book series as a TV show. Despite being an adaptation abolitionist, I am actually somewhat excited!

“People” - Geralt turned his head - “like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves.”

Arguably the least famous one among my favourite fantasy series, The Witcher Saga by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski is something of a diamond in the rough. This is not something I’d recommend to just abo
Melanie
Last summer I became completely obsessed with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, where I took screenshots like this:

(Add me on Steam!)

And once I was finished with the DLC I knew I had to finally read the books to fill the void I now carry in my heart.

This book was translated from Polish to English. It contains seven short stories, and introduces our main protagonist in both games and books, Geralt.

“People”—Geralt turned his head—“like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous
Evgeny
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

It is my personal belief that when it comes to myths nobody be
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I tried to make this short. I really did. I failed. I really did.

One thing before we begin this thing: I had never heard of this book/series/author until my Canadian Nemesis (aka Evgeny the Sometimes Wise One) read it/it/him. And given that 1/The Sometimes Wise One's book taste is not entirely despicable (view spoiler) and that 2/ The Sometimes Wise One seemed inclined to think I might not entirely not enjoy this book were
Kevin Kelsey
Fantasy isn't really my thing, but this was enjoyable enough. It's nice to read some non-English fantasy, especially since this didn't seem to be as influenced by the usual Tolkien style stories as most English written epic fantasy. A few of the stories were casually misogynistic, but there were also some really good ones in here as well. The second half is much, much better than the first.

The Voice of Reason: 3/5
Kind of an interstitial story, broken up into chapters between each other story. A
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Hmmmm, I listened to this on audio instead of reading my paperback and the sound was really low so I didn't catch all of it. I know! I'm going to have dad pick me up some proper headphones for the tablet. If I order some they will be wrong and blow things up!

I enjoyed the stories of Geralt and I really, really, really want to play the game! But I was told it was only for PS4 and I have PS3 =( That sucks, really, really, really sucks! I don't know if or when I could ever get a PS4 so I shall wai
Bookwraiths
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Before picking up The Last Wish, I was briefed by my friends on what to expect, prepared to experience a pulp fiction story similar to Robert E. Howard’s Conan and Michael Moorcock’s Elric, so I was not surprised to find this novel a “frame” tale collecting a series of unrelated short stories. Certainly, I could see that there was an overarching plot right under the surface, but the fascinating thing about this volume was the unique spin on old fairy tales, the
Lyn
Oct 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Wish, first published in Polish in 1993 and later in an English edition in 2007 by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, is a cool and different approach to high fantasy, distinct from Tolkien inspired adventures.

More akin to urban fantasy, Sapkowski’s The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine and the protagonist, Geralt of Rivia, is closer to Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden than to Aragorn.

A witcher is kind of a cross between a sorc
Samir
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this I knew there was a review somewhere in the darkest depths of my mind. As I’m currently playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which inspired me to start reading this in the first place, I thought it would be a good idea to seek help from virtual Geralt and hire him for this quest and help me find it and it turned out to be a quest filled with illusions and borderline insane thoughts.

Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. He was forced at young age to undergo training and numerous mutation
Knjigoholičarka
Iako nemam šta pametno za reći, osećam da moram da napišem nešto o knjizi koju sam pročitala u 24 sata, doduše, nije da sam čitala sve vreme, stigla sam i kupatilo da oribam.

Elem, epska fantastika nije moj fah, moram priznati. Ok, "Hobit" je sladak, i "Gospodara prstenova" sam na jedvite jade izgulila, drugari me za rođendan uvalili u "Točak vremena", a treći drugar, podjednako sadistički nastrojen, u "Pesmu leda i vatre". Gde da strpam Lukjanjenkove knjige o moskovskoj Straži, još uvek ne znam.
Carol.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like adult fairy tales
I'm not one for "as seen in the movie..." or tie-in type books, so I was initially dubious about reading The Last Wish until I learned it was the inspiration for the video game. The Last Wish reads like an adult fairy-tale; not because of graphic sex or violence, but because of the melancholy and cynicism that permeate the characters. It follows the story of Geralt, a man who has become 'something more' than a man through training as a witcher. Witchers are a specialized guild, "itinerant killer ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
At present, I'm working my way through The Witcher 2 video game which is probably the main reason why I've finally decided to tackle The Last Wish, which has been sitting in my to-read list for almost two years. I am in love with the game so far, and curiosity naturally led me to the books that inspired it.

The book collects seven short stories in a "frame" format, so we have an overarching frame story and six more that are told in a flashback or a memory, each forming a story of its own. Not sur
♛Tash
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy

Now that I've read the The Witcher in it's original form, well not exactly original because I do not understand Polish, I can say that The Witcher is truly worth the nearly 30 years of hype in both literature and gaming.

The Last Wish introduces us to the legendary Geralt of Rivia the White Wolf and his exploits as a Witcher. The story isn't linear as it is a collection of short stories as Geralt goes to different kingdoms and hamlets in need of his Witcher services. In here we read fantastic re
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Geralt of the lush white hair is a witcher - a sort of monster slayer that's not 100% human. He's mutated in some way that's not explained. Maybe they talk about it in the next book. He spends his life traveling around seeing if any towns need any extermination of beasties. Lots of slicing and dicing with his sword.

When I first started reading this I was confused as it starts with a chapter titled "Voice of Reason" and then the next chapter is a completely different setting, place, time. Just a
Mangrii
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Este primer libro de la saga de Geralt de Rivia consta de una compilación de seis relatos sin ningún orden cronológico, teniendo a modo de hilo conductor una séptima historia intercalada entre cada relato; donde vamos conociendo al famoso brujo blanco Geralt de Rivia a través de diversos episodios y aventuras en su vida, así como el mundo en el que tendrá lugar toda su saga. o conocer algunos de sus futuros personajes más relevantes, como son su amigo, el trovador descarado Jaskier o su eterno a ...more
Caro M.
Yes, someday I'll write a review for this whole thing and then probably retire and go to live to Brokilon forest as a recluse, but I'm just not ready yet to abandon social life, so hold your horses!
For now let's discuss this fun ideas for casting for Witcher series - this https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco... and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce8Xn..., shall we?

And this http://www.dualshockers.com/casting-t...
Emma
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this! This is a collection of short stories loosely hung together about The Witcher: a not human breed of monster hunter who are few and far between. This frame story actually manages to reveal a lot of detail about Gerald, his life and background and the monsters he fights are many and varied. I really enjoyed the author's clever use of other fairy tales, changing the narrative to suit his purposes.
I think the next book is also a collection of short stories before the novels begi
TS Chan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The Last Wish was more than up to task in satisfying my curiosity; I am now hooked on The Witcher.

I abandoned my gaming self a long time ago and as such, have not heard about The Witcher until someone mentioned that the image of Anomander Rake brought to mind Geralt of Rivia from the video game. That got my attention immediately. For those who have read my Malazan reviews, you will know that Anomander Rake is one of my favourite grimdark characters of all time.

Thus, I promptly checked out the c
Michael Britt
"Evil is evil, Stregobor,” said the witcher seriously as he got up. “Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I’m not a pious hermit. I haven't done only good in my life. But if I’m to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all."

Disclosure: I am going to start being more strict with my ratings and very stingy with giving out 5 stars. So while this is a 3 star rating, it's by no means terrible. Let me explain.

I wa
Milda Page Runner
*2016 Re-reading Grain of Truth - my old time favourite. :)

Right, time to put this beauty back on my favourites shelf where it belongs.
After so many years and so many re-reads I still think it's awesome!

Highly recommended to all fantasy and sword-and-sorcery fans.
Nena
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the only time I've had a good experience with reading a book due to it being related to a video game. It probably helps a lot that the game was based on the book, and not vice versa. I really loved the way this book is paced, with interlinked short stories about the character cast that did not follow a linear chronological order. It was pretty ideal for reading in short stretches between working, which is the situation I'm normally in.

The characters in this are well written, and Geralt w
Joey Woolfardis
I used to read pretty much nothing but High Fantasy, with a dash of Dickens here and there, and the occasional other classic, but High Fantasy was where I mostly lived. Deciding that there was more to reading than High Fantasy (which I absolutely and truly believe) I moved away and left it alone for a little while. Magician was really the first book I read that broke the High Fantasy drought, but it wasn't very good and I was disappointed. But it did make me hunger for some fantasy again...

And s
Penny
While this was an enjoyable read, it had a few elements that turned it into a not very good book by the end.

This book is written as a frame story which is a nice way of saying it's a set of stories within a story. Each of the shorter stories seem to be based loosely on fairly tales, while the main story is that of a witcher Geralt and his adventures and life.

Unfortunately the short stories within the main story arc were not all transitioned into smoothly which made for a bumpy ride. The "fairy
Dirk Grobbelaar
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Like a squinty eyed gunslinger in a Sergio Leone western, Geralt of Rivia travels the wilderness in search of bounty. Leather gauntlets and level-headedness come standard. He is a Witcher; a hunter of monsters.

This is actually a collection of short stories loosely strung together to form some sort of whole. It is really just an introduction to the world of The Witcher; a teaser, if you will, of things to come. This sat fine with me, since the stories were fascinating. Many of them have some bas
Montzalee Wittmann
The Last Wish (Saga o Wiedźminie #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski is one kick ass ride of a fantasy. My grown son said it is also a video game but I don't play but this would be one I would want if it was like the book. This has so many creative scenes, action, imagination, and clever sorcerer skills that it makes reading this book a real joy. Great plot, characters, fantasy, and action. Loved it. I got this from the library and I am going to see if they have more by this author!
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Wish is $2.99 today 9/16/2017 in the U.S Kindle Store!! I highly recommend it to fans of the games or fairytale retellings.

So I'm guilty of having played the games first. The games are wonderful and it's mostly because of Geralt. I think it helps to have had some knowledge going into "The Last Wish"- because I'm not sure some things would have made much sense without it. The signs for example- I don't think were well explained. I'm familiar with the signs, Aard, a blast of force/wind, A
Mimi
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: Milda Page Runner
A fast fairytale-filled book of short stories that's just right for anyone looking for subversive retellings with a wry humorous undertone. A big thanks to Milda for the rec.

Last summer, I had an odd, several-month long fairytale craving and just had to read my fill. The odd thing about it was I was specifically looking for Beauty & the Beast retellings, which led me to that boring Court of Thorns and Roses thing. Fortunately, I branched out after that and found Beauty: A Retelling of the St
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread this over the weekend. So good!

I’m not going to lie here, I first discovered The Witcher many years ago thanks to the amazing video game series, both on console and PC. I spent countless hours playing and re-playing the first two games, and right now I just can’t wait to sink my teeth into the enhanced edition of the third one with all the expansions! Rumor has it that no enhanced edition is scheduled to come out, but one can only hope.

Anyway, on to the review. The Last Wish by Andrzej Sa
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
The Last Wish reads like an anthology, chapters alternating between various quests/tasks Geralt of Rivia is on and those titled Voice of Reason, in which Geralt is recuperating from the wounds he got from the creature in the first story. The Voice of Reason chapters also act as a story skeleton. Geralt is remembering various events in his life.

I love this character so much I can't even explain it. Andrzej Sapkowski managed to insert a Slavic pagan touch and that makes Geralt even more awesome. I
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #1)
  • Sługa Boży (Mordimer Madderdin, #1)
  • Inne Pieśni
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 1 (Wolha Redna, #1)
  • Limes inferior
  • Żarna Niebios (Zastępy Anielskie, #1)
  • Potop (Trylogia, #2)
  • Czarownik Iwanow (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #2)
  • Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more
More about Andrzej Sapkowski

Saga o Wiedźminie (8 books)
  • Sezon burz (Saga o Wiedźminie, #0)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #3)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #6)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Sacré Bleu
    $8.24 $12.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“People," Geralt turned his head, "like to invent monsters and monstrosities. Then they seem less monstrous themselves. When they get blind-drunk, cheat, steal, beat their wives, starve an old woman, when they kill a trapped fox with an axe or riddle the last existing unicorn with arrows, they like to think that the Bane entering cottages at daybreak is more monstrous than they are. They feel better then. They find it easier to live.” 658 likes
“Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.” 312 likes