Start by marking “Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)” as Want to Read:
Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)

Spectyr

(Book of the Order #2)

The second novel in Ballantine's series. In a realm of mystics and magic, the Order of Deacons stands between the here and now and the Otherside. Its mission is to protect the citizens of the Empire from malevolent geists--no matter where or when...

Though one of the most powerful Deacons, Sorcha Faris has a tarnished reputation to overcome, which is why she jumps at the ch
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 310 pages
Published June 28th 2011 by Ace (first published May 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Spectyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spectyr

Start your review of Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.6598 stars. And a third.

Uh-oh, the MacHalos seem to be suffering from a collective bout of acute amnesia. It turns out that none of us female Einsteins can remember why we thought book 1 in this series was lacking and badly written and a waste of wondrous potential. Wanna know what I think? (view spoiler)
Mayim de Vries
“By the Bones, she needed to smile.”

So, I’ll smile and try to be civil.

There is nothing better than some steampunk in the summer, even if it is a sort of zombie steampunk (especially that the weather turns me into an undead thing anyway). And anyway, I am reading steampunk because regardless whether Jim Butcher got kidnapped by the aliens or is going through a midlife crisis, he has still not delivered The Olympian Affair and I have my cravings or the withdrawal syndrome will be unpleasant.

So
Felicia
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this author's work! She's pretty much on my must-buy list for well-done, light fantasy with a bit of romance that's not too smutty (like Ilona Andrews) I think this series took a step up in world-building with this second episode, I was definitely interested in all the new stuff we learned through Merrick in particular. I loved seeing Sorcha and Raed's conflict, I just love them together! Only criticism is that it felt short, I feel like I wanted more plot to happen with the Grand ...more
Elena C.
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fantasy
I have a "two-books rule" I adhere to when it comes to book series (unless something atrocious happens in book #1 that makes me swear off a certain author's work for good). If the first book was on the meh! side of things, I'll usually give #2 a try - which results in one of the following outcomes:
① everything that was good and interesting in the series deflates as a two-days old balloon (basically anything by Anne Bishop);
② the meh! feeling persists and it's made worse by the fact that I've end
Maria Dimitrova
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 62%

Don't get me wrong, the book isn't bad. It's just that after months of trying to finish it I'm finally giving up. I like the story and I love the characters but there's something about the writing I just can't explain. It's like this, I want to know what happens and while I'm reading it I'm super involved but once I put the book down for some reason a part of me is reluctant to pick it up again and I always find excuses not to. Maybe one day I'll finish it but I doubt it.
Bastard
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it

Last year I was seeing a lot of positive reaction to the book Geist first of Books of Order series by Philippa Ballantine. I usually do a lot of research before deciding to buy a book, but I saw the cover and said "Oh, lions!" and thought it looked like it could be a very cool Urban Fantasy. I'm sure I'm not the only one that made that assumption (I hope I'm not).

When the book arrived I realized that I was not reading an Urban Fantasy, but a secondary worl
Catherine
4.5 Stars

Argh! Where’s the next book? I need to read it now! So many things changed in this installment. The book isn’t left on a cliffhanger, but, oh, I am dying to find out where the author is going with this. I am still gaping after turning the last page. Where do we go from here??

As with the first book, Geist, we are treated to dense story development and layered character building. This time around Ballantine’s not bogged down by introducing the reader to various characters and the world as
Ashley Kvasnicka
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.75/5

According to the overall reviews, I should have enjoyed this book far more than the first one - but I didn’t. It was a great story all around but there were a few times I got a little bored and it almost felt as if someone else were writing the story then.

A little annoyed with Raed at the end too... like.. d00d....
Teril
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
SPECTYR was amazing to read. It picked up right after GEIST had left off and Sorcha and Merrick soon find themselves coming into a horrible vision as well as an ancient battle. SPECTYR will test the limits of all of their bonds, and our three characters: Sorcha, Merrick, and Raed will struggle within theirs pasts and their futures.

Philippa Ballantine has created another masterpiece in this Second Book of the Order. We find out more about our characters while at the same time read of their inner
Ruby
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book was first posted on http://www.rubysreads.com.

I will say, right off the bat, that I liked this book a lot better than the first volume in the series (Geist). I suspect this was because I knew the characters a bit better, or because I knew what to expect. There is romance in these books, but it's light and of the variety that makes me nervous about the likelihood of a happy ending.
My enjoyment of this book was also due to the fact that I enjoyed the conflict. I'm fascinated by stories
Rea
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Spectyr is the second Book of the Order (that's the name of the series for anyone who can't figure it out for themselves.) There are four planned so this means we're half way through. This is both exciting (I really want to know how things will pan out between Sorcha and Raed, and what will happen to Merrick - Nynnia, Captain Revele, someone else?) and saddening (I've found myself very attached to the characters in just two short books and it's the sort of storyline where you wish it could just ...more
Stephanie
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
High fantasy without the completely unpronounceable names and with just enough technology, Spectyr continues the world Philippa Ballantine birthed in Geist and rachets up the complexity and suspense. You never know if, but hope for, the HEA. And, you aren't even sure which characters will survive or if they will survive intact. The characters always driven to survive, to rescue, to save don't and can't even trust the people they travel to rescue. It seems the trio can only trust themselves and a ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Heidi

This is the second installment of the Book of the Order series by Philippa Ballantine. We are re-introduced to Deacons, Sorcha Faris and Merrick Chambers, who are sworn to protect everyone from the geists or spirits of the world.

Sorcha and Merrick have been pretty disappointed with the jobs they have been assigned as of late and they have given them no real challenge as their superior has made sure that these cases have no true geist activity. So
Mattie Payne
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Slow beginning, fantastic middle and rushed end.
Aspects of the narrative are really compelling - like the spectral domain (termed the otherside) and background lore setting.
The actual present day narrative at times is slow. Near the end it wasn't too clear what was happening.
But I enjoyed it nonetheless and will read the next book.
Alicia Aringdale
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this book but I can't really say why it didn't grab me the way the first one did. I am hoping the next one will regain the groove. ...more
Shara
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: no-longer-own
The premise: ganked from author's website: Though one of the most powerful Deacons, Sorcha Faris has a tarnished reputation to overcome. She and her partner, Deacon Merrick Chambers, find themselves chasing down rumors of geists, but long for a return to real action. So they jump at the chance to escort a delegation sent to negotiate the terms of the Emperor’s engagement. Their destination: the exotic city of Orinthal.

But a string of murders has Orinthal on edge, and Sorcha and Merrick are asked
Pamela / SpazP
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
I was fortunate enough to move from the First Book of the Order novel Geist right on to Spectyr so everything that had been created in the first book was fresh in my mind. Even so, I had to sit here and blink for a while to figure out how to even summarize my impressions. This book was so good that I really had no idea how to start a review for it. I hemmed and I hawed over it, but here I go.

Sorcha Farris and Merrick Chambers leave their Mother Abbey he
Melissa
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I was able to do one thing that I love to do... read books in a series back to back. Oh and don't worry, I won't spoil anything, but you may have to endure an *evil laugh* or two in the process... ;)

This book made it so easy to slip back into this world. Not just because I read the first book, but the way it was written was just brilly. In this book, not only is the world expanded and more interesting to our imagination, but the characters were more rounded out as well. We see even more softness
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
For some reason i was pretty sure i had reviewed Spectyr and i still am but i can't find it anywhere so here i am (again or not again)...

I'm gonna skip how awesome the cover is, since you see by yourself its awesomeness!

I picked Spectyr immediatelly after Geist since as i have already told you it was one of the best fantasy books i've read. In Spectyr, the author gets the chance to open her world more to us. Geist was an introduction but Spectyr is the real deal. You get to learn more about the
Jacqie
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: didnt-finish
I got halfway through this one- about 150 pages. I was extremely disappointed in this sequel, because I really enjoyed Geist. I was hoping for more of the same. I wasn't feeling well when I read it- maybe it should have made more sense than it did? Because the plot was all over the place, the new culture introduced in this book made little sense, and the writing seemed far choppier than in the first book.

Sadly, I couldn't remember many of the details from the first book, and this one does you n
Wyrdness
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked this, but I didn't like it as much as the first one.

I think this is probably because the story revolves around a very contrived seeming set of circumstances that were basically held together by the ignorance and stupidity of various characters, all things that I absolutely hate.

The plot also lost points with me because it was so absolutely focused on an entire country of religious fanatics with such an insular culture that they wouldn't hear any sense at all. Nearly every single person
Cherry Mischievous
I was looking forward to this book after I finished Geist, but this book is even a slower starter than Geist was! It took me longer to get into this book than it did with Geist. Somehow the story telling quality felt like it wasn't as good as it did with Geist... Anyhow, one thing remains certain, the story and world building is beautiful and vivid, if not even more intricate! I could easily imagine myself in that world... It's a frontier world of magic on the brink of discoveries... A lot of un ...more
Odin
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Deacons of the Order, Sorcha Farris and Merrick Chambers travel to a distant kingdom where Merrick comes face to face with his past and his future. Sorcha tries to save the world around her as she reconnects with Raed Rossin, the Young Pretender that has a geistlord living inside him. Together these heroes will not only take on the world, they take on a god.

Ms. Ballantine delivers. Again. Her writing grabs you in a way that is visceral. It hits early. It hits repetitively. It hits hard. No cheap
Barbara ★
Many many twists and surprises. Then again you expect that with a political thriller which this undoubtedly is. I really like Sorcha and Raed. Though I wish they had gotten more time together. So far their relationship has been in fits and grabs which doesn't really allow for any escalation of the romance. Well of course they aren't suited so that's causing a real problem and conflict of interest.

I liked Merrick too and though he gets to see Nynnia again, it's rather sad. I hope he finds someon
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Hmmm, I did not really focus on what I was reading. Not the best of weeks. It was good, but my focus was so off. Seriously, I was about to pick it up yesterday....and realised I had finished it the day before. Yeah. Sorry book. I might have missed a thing or two.

So...evil goddess wants to kill that guy with a beast inside of him. Sorcha the one with magic and her partner wants to stop that, and get out of town. Since her husband is a dick. Yes yes I know, I really kept my attention on this. Sigh
Dr susan
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again, re-read
In my opinion, a good author builds a believable and interesting world and then populates the world with interesting characters. A very good author makes the reader care about not only the main characters, but also the supporting ones. Ballantine is a very good author. I enjoyed this book as much the second time as the first.
Keith Hughes
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was an exciting book set in a rich vibrant world. While I'd like to smack Pip for a cliffhanger at the end I enjoyed it thoroughly and am looking forward to the next installment. ...more
nat.
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
a solid sequel. I would still like to learn more about their magic system though.
Wendy
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
For me, the book started a little slow, and only picked up speed halfway through the story. However, once it did pick up speed, it went lightning fast.

An engaging read all round.
Charlie
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rook (The Twisted Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Killing Frost (October Daye, #14)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms, #1)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
  • A Girl From Nowhere (The Firewall Trilogy, #1)
  • Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • The Reapers are the Angels (Reapers, #1)
  • The Fog
  • Black Sun Rising (The Coldfire Trilogy, #1)
  • Once...
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • Warrior Witch  (The Malediction Trilogy, #3)
  • Godshot
  • Books of Blood, Volume One
  • Breath (Scales 'N' Spells #2)
Born and raised in Wellington, New Zealand, Philippa is a writer and podcaster of fantasy fiction.
Immersed in books from an early age, she moved onto to become a librarian. She'd been dreaming of being a writer since a teenager, but in the last ten years she's devoted herself to it.
She's the author of the Books of the Order series from Ace Books. Geist, Spectyr, Wrayth (2012) and Harbinger (2013)

Book of the Order (4 books)
  • Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
  • Wrayth (Book of the Order, #3)
  • Harbinger (Book of the Order, #4)

News & Interviews

“Mortals were such fickle creatures. They called into the dark, demanded answers and attention from forces they could not comprehend, and yet when they had that attention and those answers, they complained about them.” 5 likes