Start by marking “Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity” as Want to Read:
Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity

Serenity Rose Volume 1: Working Through the Negativity (Serenity Rose #1)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
When you can float through the air and conjure up monsters out of ectoplasm, you're bound to attract attention. Come stare at Ms. Serenity Rose, local witch, as she spends the day dodging goblins, goths, and a bad case of social phobia in the spookiest lil town in America. A Booklist Starred Review - Serenity -Sera- Rose tries to live a quiet life. She has her friends Tess ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by SLG Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Serenity Rose Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serenity Rose Volume 1

Peacegal
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. Serenity Rose takes a page from cute Goth-y characters such as Ruby Gloom, Emily Strange, and Invader Zim. The artwork is heavily influenced by Japanese cartoon styles. However, the surprisingly intelligent dialogue adds a more adult angle to these sources.

There were times when I felt as if I were walking in on someone else’s inside joke. However, the majority of the comic is accessible to even those who don’t count themselves part of the subcultures
 Дарья
Mar 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Love the art, but that's about it.
Carrie
Jul 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Serenity “Sera” Rose is a 20-something girl with a fondness for black. While living with her step-mother and half-sister, she tries to lead a quiet life, relying on her two friends Kelton and Tess. Despite her best efforts to remain anonymous, she is quite the local celebrity, for reasons revealed later in the book as an infamous bus accident she caused and the fact that she is one of fifty witches in the world. As a “curse” starts to wreck havoc around town, Serenity is forced to use her powers ...more
Mel
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I must admit that apart from Wet Moon I'm really not a fan of "goth comics". But I found this one on sale for very cheap and thought it would be worth trying. I did quite like it. It was a bit cutesy, but there were some rather amusing insights into goth culture, written by a witch who hated nearly everyone. It was interesting to read and I liked the writing and the layout of the art very much. There was just something lacking.
Iggy D.
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been a minute since I last read this, but I remember this little indie gem to be a delightfully mundane dark little fictional journal. The artwork is unique and interesting and the story, though fantastic is not taken too seriously to be cumbersome, but still drives the graphic novel. Fun stuff. :3
Scott
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a suprisngly good graphic novel start to the currently running Webcomic. At first i thought it was a Goth comic but after reading it, i noticed it was much more than a "goth comic" and became a big fan. Very good and funny writing with some very good art.
Amanda
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
It has an interesting take on the actual powers of witches, vampires, and other mythical creatures as existing in our own world. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the ending left me hanging. Where's the next book!?
Chris
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'd started this series YEARS ago when it was in single issue form. However, it seemed like it was very inconsistent as to when the new issues came out, and soon I lost track of it and always wondered what had become of the series. Recently, I stumbled across this at the local comic shop and was excited to see that it had not only been collected but that there was a volume two.

First off, I love Alexovich's art. Yes, he bares striking resemblances with his Slave Labor Graphics' colleagues, Roman
Matthew Little
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Serenity Rose, a dark pencil-scribbled comic about a witch with a past, who also happens to be one of the only living witches left.

Granted it has been a good 5 or 7 years since I last read it, I can remember always putting it down once I got to the middle, and I still have no clue why. I'm not skiddish when it comes to violence or offensive themes, so that wasn't a reason and, even if, there's hardly any of that through out. I just had a bad habit of putting something down and forgetting about
Alnora1227
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alnora1227 by: Natana Gill
I found this graphic novel surprisingly cerebral and tongue-in-cheek in a wholly cool way. I was all set to take on our library's cataloging department because this is in the adult fiction section, but after reading, I agree more with the decision.

Lots of the humor is subtle and quite mature and I love the style of the artwork but the dense swaths of black negative space and collage type pages thrown in here and there are an acquired taste.

However Sera Rose is undeniably the coolest emo goth a
Boxofdelights
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it

This comic book hits the creepy/cute note that a lot of young teens and preteens love perfectly. The art is dark and crowded, but different styles of lettering and speech balloons make it possible to keep track of who is saying what. Variations in format keep adding bits of story from different perspectives: a newspaper article, a school essay, advertisements, Serenity's memories, and fantasies, and comics, and voiceovers from The Narrator. I usually love texts with a Narrator, but this one snee
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm tempted to give only 2 stars but I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt since I only read the first trade and not the whole book. Basically the first issue, she is pretty emo and whiny. I also didn't like the way people's noses were just like this big circle. It was weird and too cartoony for the style of the other drawings and plot.

Otherwise it was fine. Kinda like Emily Strange type of stuff. Not as good as other similar characters like Lenore, Courtney Crumrin, Devi, or Dib's sister
Laura F
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes YA, but also anyone with an interest in the "dark"
This book isn't just about a meek modern-day witch with no eyebrows, decent morals, and "Gothic" preferences. Hidden underneath all that, Serenity Rose tells the story of a girl coming into herself, and escaping all of the over-powering paralysis that lies in indecision. This is a great book to get your hands on to entertain your thoughts on a new witch lore or make yourself think about what paralyzes you.

A note on the actual book: this volume has a very weak spine and should be treated with car
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Okay, so I started off reading this book feeling kind of lukewarm about it. I really liked the main character, Serenity Rose (Sera), but she was a little to goth and whiny for me to identify with. I loved the character of Vicious Whisper (V), though - very together, smart, cool, loving, funny, forward-thinking AND a gothy punky rock star witch. Plus her name totally rocks - Vicious Whisper is a definite kick-ass rock star name. The last issue of this volume, when Sera gets to meet V, totally hoo ...more
David Gallaher
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wicked Serenity Rose. Sera is just trying to make her way through everyday life while dealing with all of the monsters, weirdos, and social embarrassments that her occult powers attract. Aaron Alexovich’s series is a perfect companion to your Invader Zim and Edward Scissorhands library.
Sophiedavies
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite comic series; not only is Mr. Alexovich's art wonderfully charming, but the storyline is great and the characters are developed and interesting. If you like stories about cute little sociophobic witches, vampires running roits at concerts and ectoplasmic ponies, this is the comic for you.
Jen Barrett
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book searched for the others for a long time never found them would love to read them, i actually cut my hair like hers cause i liked it aloti donno if thats sad or what but i dnt care teenagers do alot of odd things.
NaomiRuth
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this and would like to own it one day. I thought her character and the world-building had a lot of depth. I don't know. I just loved that she was goth and made rainbow ponies or whatever. It just was really beautiful in a lot of ways. I loved it.
Liam
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Well that was certainly worse than I remembered.

I loved this comic back in the day, probably during my emo phase. Yuck. I didn't realise how very hard it was trying at the time.

It's still pretty enjoyable though, and self-aware enough that it isn't insulting.
Julia Rose
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A fun read with nice artwork, the only thing that could be improved is that alot of the text is very small and for those of us with bad eyesight at times a bit of a strain. A very random story but interesting all the same.
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this comic, The Comic reminds me a little of Jhonen Vasquez Comics.

I see a lot of myself in Serenity Rose (Sera) obviously not the witch part but the anxiety from large crowds etc.

Can't wait to get the next one.
quinnster
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I kept getting lost. It took me a little while to get into the story, to understand what the point was and when I would start getting into it it seemed to change direction and I would be lost again.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Oh the art style, the character designs, the art throughout and well at the end there, so cool. This was interesting.
Phillip Goodman
wonderful, wickedly funny, dark and lovely, a black bulb of hope in a world of horrible glaring brightness and horrible glares.
Klay
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This might be the cutest creepy book I've ever read! Delightful
Jacob Fink
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
My one problem with serenity rose! I can't find a back issue of #3. And it was never finished! Fuck you DC comics for stealing talent!
Kai VanderBerg
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A little text-heavy but pretty wonderful. Can't wait to continue & see where Sera goes next!! Also, I'm kinda in love with Vicious. Not gonna lie.
Mike
Jun 03, 2010 added it
Not just a new look and fresh voice (compared to most of graphic-noveldom) but a *talented* voice with a well-developed, detailed and insightful look.
Miriam
Jan 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction
Craziness happens to Serenity Rose, one of the 5 American witches. It's a bit angst-y. It was a good read, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was a teenager.
Brendan
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Started off slow, but got better after Issue #1. Entertained me, but not enough to send me searching for the next volumes.
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
  • Death, Jr.
  • Lenore:  Cooties
  • I Feel Sick #1
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • The Company of Glass (Everien, #1)
  • Prophecies, Libels & Dreams: Stories
  • Everything Can Be Beaten
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Wet Moon Vol. 1: Feeble Wanderings
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things (Courtney Crumrin, #1)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1940s: Laura / The Horizontal Man / In a Lonely Place / The Blank Wall
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
AARON ALEXOVICH (who is me) was born in Chicago, Illinois, the year Elvis died, but I currently sleep the daylight hours away in Southern California. After neglecting to graduate from the world-famous CALARTS, I took up space in the animation industry for a while, contributing character designs to Nickelodeon’s INVADER ZIM and AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER. I like making comic books way better, thoug ...more
More about Aaron Alexovich...

Serenity Rose (2 books)