Start by marking “Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti, #20)” as Want to Read:
Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti, #20)

Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti #20)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  4,649 Ratings  ·  459 Reviews
Though there are some signs of a struggle, the medical examiner rules that a widow died of a heart attack. Brunetti can't shake the feeling that something or someone may have triggered her heart attack. With the help of Inspector Vianello and the ever-resourceful Signorina Elettra, perhaps Brunetti can get to the truth and find some measure of justice.
Published April 4th 2011 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Conclusions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Conclusions

Kae Cheatham
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I was given the chance to read the ARC of this mystery, due out in April 2011. It is the 20th Commissario Guido Brunetti novel, the first published in 1992. As an overall tag for what the book is about, I would say it's a story of possible crimes.

Guido Brunetti is an interesting, thoughtful person; highly observant, very little escapes his notice, from the color of grass, to faint bruises along the neck of a dead woman, Signora Altavilla. Along with the bruises, he considers the placement of fur
Nancy
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the pleasures of reading books in a series is that we have a chance to become really familiar with a set of characters. This particular mystery was not necessarily my favorite of Donna Leon's but it drew on Commissario Brunetti's romantic nature and also refined for the reader his very personal moral code. And, that I liked.

Food and family are usually very important in Leon's series and I was a bit disappointed that Brunetti missed so many meals in this book. It is always a great pleasure
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved this one. Possibly one of my two favorites out of all the Brunetti I've read.

It's not a terrible "crime" as a crime may be defined. In fact, the departed has died from a heart attack. But this novel includes some of Guido's depth and purpose as few of the more evil or destructive cases.

There are a handful of tremendous quotes in this one too. Especially upon a "truth" that I have observed myself for decades. And that concerns how the most aiding and helping of "humanity" in their work and
Ayse
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I generally find Donna Leon's books very compelling and thoughtful, as Brunetti's sense of justice and his battles between that sense and the actual laws are always interesting. This latest installment was very unsatisfying, as the mystery to me remained unsolved, or if it was solved it did not fulfill any sense of justice that normally applies to Brunetti's creative solutions. Usually he honors the victims and the important thing is knowing the story of what happened and that there was some clo ...more
Jack
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
An adequate but not great detective story. This is a recent story about Leon's recurring character, Guido Brunetti, a detective in Venice, Italy. I liked Brunetti, refreshingly he is a detective without a flawed personal life.

The story is unusual for the detective genre. A woman is dead, but it isn't clear if it is murder or a natural death. One of the problems with the story for me is that the question is never resolved, at the end we don't really know how the woman died.

Along the way there are
Mark Stevens
Terrific setting and sharp-eyed Guido Brunetti (as always). Deep undercurrents of Venice (as with most in this series).

But “Drawing Conclusions,” for me, dragged along. The story failed to work up a head of steam. Guido Brunetti didn’t seem all that concerned. Sure, he’s dogged. Sure, he keeps going over the scant details he uncovers. Yes, he has some powerful conversations and finally gets to the bottom of matters. But the investigation into the strange death of widow Costanza Altavilla is too
Beth
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Guido Brunetti is having dinner with Vice-Questore Patta and Lieutenant Scarpa, forced into this social occasion ostensibly to discuss promotions. Guido is praying for the end of the world or, at least, some violent distraction by armed intruders so that he could grab a gun and rid himself of the two men. Brunetti is not a a violent man but dealing with these men at the Questura is one thing, dealing with them on his own time is something else again.

When his cell phone rings, Brunetti thinks it
☯Emily
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very fast and absorbing read. Venetian Commissario Brunetti explores the death of an elderly woman. She appears to have died of an heart attack, but there are some unexplained bruising around her shoulders. Was she attacked and had an heart attack as a result?

I was uncomfortable with some of the illegal and corrupt actions taken by Brunetti and members of his police department. Unfortunately, that is the way life operates in Italy today and so it is a realistic, but sobering, view of that soc
Monica
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What I can say about “Drawing Conclusions” that I haven’t said about all of Donna Leon’s other books? Her books are always well thought out and have more to do with the complexity of human emotion than they do with the violence of death. I never tire of the way Brunetti works through an investigation…the way he thinks, the way he looks inside himself to arrive at answers. I’m nearing the last book that Leon has of yet written in this series...and am hoping she writes a little faster!
Lysergius
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Guido Brunetti's latest case involves the death of a retired school teacher who is found dead in her apartment by her neighbour on her return from holiday. Although her death is apparently from natural causes, Brunetti is not convinced... His investigation uncovers a web of intrigue and deceit stretching back beyond the statute of limitations. Fascinating.
  • The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano, #11)
  • Vendetta (Aurelio Zen, #2)
  • Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
  • Death in August (Inspector Bordelli #1)
  • Brunetti's Venice: Walks with the City's Best-Loved Detective
  • Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1)
  • No Mark Upon Her (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #14)
  • The Last Judgement (Jonathan Argyll, #4)
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.

Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years. She has worked as a lecturer in English Literature for the University of Maryland University College - Europe (UMUC-Europe) in Italy, then as a Professor
More about Donna Leon...

Commissario Brunetti (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
  • Dressed for Death (Commissario Brunetti, #3)
  • Death and Judgment (Commissario Brunetti, #4)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • Fatal Remedies (Commissario Brunetti, #8)
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti, #10)
“even the worst men wanted to be perceived as better than they were. How else could hypocrisy have risen to such delirious levels?” 0 likes
“the discovery of speed.” 0 likes