Start by marking “Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti, #20)” as Want to Read:
Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti, #20)

Drawing Conclusions (Commissario Brunetti #20)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  4,409 Ratings  ·  453 Reviews
Though there are some signs of a struggle, the medical examiner rules that a widow died of a heart attack. Brunetti can't shake the feeling that something or someone may have triggered her heart attack. With the help of Inspector Vianello and the ever-resourceful Signorina Elettra, perhaps Brunetti can get to the truth and find some measure of justice.
Published April 4th 2011 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Drawing Conclusions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing Conclusions

Kae Cheatham
Feb 24, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I was given the chance to read the ARC of this mystery, due out in April 2011. It is the 20th Commissario Guido Brunetti novel, the first published in 1992. As an overall tag for what the book is about, I would say it's a story of possible crimes.

Guido Brunetti is an interesting, thoughtful person; highly observant, very little escapes his notice, from the color of grass, to faint bruises along the neck of a dead woman, Signora Altavilla. Along with the bruises, he considers the placement of fur
Nancy
Jun 02, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
One of the pleasures of reading books in a series is that we have a chance to become really familiar with a set of characters. This particular mystery was not necessarily my favorite of Donna Leon's but it drew on Commissario Brunetti's romantic nature and also refined for the reader his very personal moral code. And, that I liked.

Food and family are usually very important in Leon's series and I was a bit disappointed that Brunetti missed so many meals in this book. It is always a great pleasure
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2016 Jeanette rated it really liked it
Loved this one. Possibly one of my two favorites out of all the Brunetti I've read.

It's not a terrible "crime" as a crime may be defined. In fact, the departed has died from a heart attack. But this novel includes some of Guido's depth and purpose as few of the more evil or destructive cases.

There are a handful of tremendous quotes in this one too. Especially upon a "truth" that I have observed myself for decades. And that concerns how the most aiding and helping of "humanity" in their work and
Ayse
Apr 18, 2012 Ayse rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I generally find Donna Leon's books very compelling and thoughtful, as Brunetti's sense of justice and his battles between that sense and the actual laws are always interesting. This latest installment was very unsatisfying, as the mystery to me remained unsolved, or if it was solved it did not fulfill any sense of justice that normally applies to Brunetti's creative solutions. Usually he honors the victims and the important thing is knowing the story of what happened and that there was some clo ...more
Mark Stevens
Terrific setting and sharp-eyed Guido Brunetti (as always). Deep undercurrents of Venice (as with most in this series).

But “Drawing Conclusions,” for me, dragged along. The story failed to work up a head of steam. Guido Brunetti didn’t seem all that concerned. Sure, he’s dogged. Sure, he keeps going over the scant details he uncovers. Yes, he has some powerful conversations and finally gets to the bottom of matters. But the investigation into the strange death of widow Costanza Altavilla is too
Jack
Aug 19, 2012 Jack rated it liked it
An adequate but not great detective story. This is a recent story about Leon's recurring character, Guido Brunetti, a detective in Venice, Italy. I liked Brunetti, refreshingly he is a detective without a flawed personal life.

The story is unusual for the detective genre. A woman is dead, but it isn't clear if it is murder or a natural death. One of the problems with the story for me is that the question is never resolved, at the end we don't really know how the woman died.

Along the way there are
☯Emily
Mar 06, 2016 ☯Emily rated it really liked it
A very fast and absorbing read. Venetian Commissario Brunetti explores the death of an elderly woman. She appears to have died of an heart attack, but there are some unexplained bruising around her shoulders. Was she attacked and had an heart attack as a result?

I was uncomfortable with some of the illegal and corrupt actions taken by Brunetti and members of his police department. Unfortunately, that is the way life operates in Italy today and so it is a realistic, but sobering, view of that soc
Monica
May 18, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
What I can say about “Drawing Conclusions” that I haven’t said about all of Donna Leon’s other books? Her books are always well thought out and have more to do with the complexity of human emotion than they do with the violence of death. I never tire of the way Brunetti works through an investigation…the way he thinks, the way he looks inside himself to arrive at answers. I’m nearing the last book that Leon has of yet written in this series...and am hoping she writes a little faster!
Lysergius
Apr 01, 2012 Lysergius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Guido Brunetti's latest case involves the death of a retired school teacher who is found dead in her apartment by her neighbour on her return from holiday. Although her death is apparently from natural causes, Brunetti is not convinced... His investigation uncovers a web of intrigue and deceit stretching back beyond the statute of limitations. Fascinating.
Cris
Jul 27, 2014 Cris rated it it was ok
Mediocre mystery book with a lot of lose ends and unsatisfactory resolution. I liked the detective but it is not an original character. Disappointing.
Beth
Apr 22, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing

Guido Brunetti is having dinner with Vice-Questore Patta and Lieutenant Scarpa, forced into this social occasion ostensibly to discuss promotions. Guido is praying for the end of the world or, at least, some violent distraction by armed intruders so that he could grab a gun and rid himself of the two men. Brunetti is not a a violent man but dealing with these men at the Questura is one thing, dealing with them on his own time is something else again.

When his cell phone rings, Brunetti thinks it
LJ
First Sentence: Because she had worked for decades as a translator of fiction and non-fiction from English and German to Italian, Anna Maria Giusti was familiar with a wide range of subjects.

When a woman finds the body of her neighbor, Comm. Guido Brunetti is called to the scene. The medical examiner pronounces the cause of death to be a heart attack, but Brunetti has questions created by the blood from a wound on the victim’s head and a bruise near her throat. A search for the truth leads Guido
David Harry
Nov 15, 2011 David Harry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves mysteries
Shelves: mystery
I love Venice and one of the reasons I loved Donna Leon’s latest book, Drawing Conclusions, is because it is set in Venice. The famous Commissario Guido Brunetti return again to investigate the apparent heart attack of an older woman.

The other reason I loved Leon's novel is because it perfectly captures the imperfections of the human condition. These human imperfections are as apparent as the crumbling imperfections of the once great city.

Commissario Brunetti probes what, to the professionals
Judie
Apr 14, 2013 Judie rated it it was amazing
Commissario Guido Brunetti is called to investigate the death of middle-aged woman in her apartment. She had been dead for a few days. There was a cut on her scalp, blood on the floor and radiator, and a few light marks near her neck. The death appeared to be a heart attack.
The woman was the mother of Vice-Questore Guiseppe Patta’s son’s former veterinarian and Patta wanted to know what happened. Fast.
His first priority is learning about the woman. With the help of his assistant Vianello and
Biblio Files
Mar 13, 2011 Biblio Files rated it really liked it
After the disappointing A Question of Belief and About Face, I had resolved to quit reading Donna Leon's new books and go back to her excellent first mysteries. The way she combined social issues with fast-paced detective work in the early books was irresistible. My favorite was her first -- Death at La Fenice.

Then her books started to emphasize the social issues more than the mysteries until in the last few books the murders seemed to take a back seat. I stopped reading about halfway through A
Judy
Jul 26, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
This is the 20th book in this series and only the second one that I have read. I read #18 and this one. I have a feeling that to do justice to the series that I should start at the beginning and read them in order so that the characters and the relationships can unfold and mature. But until then--Venetian Commissario Guido Brunetti is called to the apartment of a woman in her 60s who is found dead by her neighbor. Although the autopsy reveals that she died of a heart attack, Brunetti thinks that ...more
Caroline
Jul 14, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
When an elderly woman is found dead in her apartment, with no sign of an intruder, and the coroner reports her death as the result of a heart attack, there should not have been any inquiry into her death. However, since Commissario Brunetti was called out to the scene of the crime, he experienced a sense of disquiet over her death. More so when he speaks with the coroner and is informed that there were some faint bruises on the woman's shoulder, which could have been caused by a person's grippin ...more
Pmalcpoet Pat Malcolm
Mar 03, 2012 Pmalcpoet Pat Malcolm rated it it was amazing
One of the things I like about Commissario Guido Brunetti is the pleasure and comfort he takes from small things, the finer details that take his attention as he walks down the street that cause him to stop and notice, and feel good. For example, while walking from a sad but slightly strange interview with a dead woman's son to the station to meet a colleague, Brunetti "was cheered, as always happened when he walked by here, by the sight of the most beautiful paving stones in Venice." I, too, fi ...more
Gisela Hafezparast
Aug 24, 2015 Gisela Hafezparast rated it liked it
Read now quite a few of Donna Leon's Brunetti series. On the whole they are pure relaxation. A happily married detective in a beautiful city coping not only with various crimes, but especially with an Italy he both loves, but also sometimes despairs off because of its corrupt bureaucracy, politicians, the mafia, etc. What they show as well is probably how most Italians cope with it whilst living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, an ancient culture and brilliant cuisine. Downsi ...more
Leslie
Apr 06, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
One may read Leon's books for the mysteries, one may read them for the vivd depictions of Venice, or one may read them for the good man that is her protagonist. Brunetti is just a smidge more world-weary in this one, more willing to challenge the status quo in order to bring justice for a woman he suspects was murdered. Satisfying, richly detailed, and clever as always - it's a mystery whether Leon's prose or her characterization is better.
Julie
Feb 10, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The combination of Donna Leon's detailed, subtle & multi-layered writing & narrator David Colacci's wonderful vocal range is excellent. Hardly able to put it down, I continued to listen while I vacuumed the house this afternoon (just turned up the volume!). It's marvelous to be able to enjoy being transported to Venice while you complete mundane household chores! I highly recommend listening to this series.
Jennifer S. Alderson
Oct 26, 2016 Jennifer S. Alderson rated it it was amazing
I love the Commissario Brunetti series! Donna Leon's lavish descriptions of Venice never fail to inspired a serious dose of wanderlust. The cases Brunetti's assigned are always complex yet realistic and offer insight into issues facing locals (organized crime, ancient infrastructure, overwhelming number of tourists, poorly designed water works, and rich foreigners buying up properties in the centrum) without getting preachy. Highly recommend her books!
Patricia
May 12, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A dead widow-- murder or a heart attack?

I LOVE the intelligent, compassionate, seeker of truth Commissario Brunetti, his delightful family, and his co-workers especially the boss's beautiful and clever (or devious) secretary Signorina Eletta and Inspector Vianello. And then there is spectacular Venice.

I read the Leon books w/out a pause and then I have to wait so long until the next one is released.
Susan
Jun 04, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
I was listening to this one while I was reading Donna Leon's newest Inspector Brunetti and I liked this one much better. Sometimes he can't ever seem to get an answer out of his suspects and it seems he has to grill them forever which is a bit tiring, but other than that, I love the characters and the location. The ending was troublesome to me because I really still don't know who did it or if it was even a murder. I wonder - am I the only one? Did I miss something everyone else figured out?
Bonnie
Dec 05, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a somewhat unusual entry in this series in that the victim died of natural causes. But was her death the result of someone frightening her badly? At any rate, it's an interesting case. Really the mystery is only part of what's great about this series. In large part my enjoyment of this series results from Commissario Brunetti's interactions with his wife Paola and his colleagues.
Dany
Feb 01, 2016 Dany rated it liked it
2.5 stars. Too many loose ends, or at least, too many unexplored possibilities.
Lynne
Jun 29, 2017 Lynne rated it it was amazing
Signorina Elettra. What a brilliant woman, and how excellent that Guido knows it and respects her. He is her superior, but he knows that without her skills, his work would be nearly impossible to do with any form of dispatch.

The story line was, as usual, absent a happy ending, but this one was as close to one as we are likely to get. Leon is the mistress of the ambiguity we find in our day to day lives, and she allows Guido Brunetti to walk those calles with a sense of the futility, yet the des
Carol
May 18, 2017 Carol rated it really liked it
Drawing Conclusions is another fascinating mystery set in Venice. It is unique in the series because Brunetti was trying to solve a mystery that was not considered a crime by the police. It was such an intriguing case because even though the woman had died of a heart attack there were signs that violence had caused it. The elderly people involved in the investigation brought some interesting history and an insight to old Venice. Brunetti did solve the case in the end to his satisfaction.
Julia Williamson
May 17, 2017 Julia Williamson rated it liked it
I enjoy all the Commissario Brunetti books. This one didn't have any new details into his life. I did enjoy the extra banter between the "doctore" and Ms. Elettra. I thought the relationship of the neighbor and her boyfriend was going to have some key relationship to the story....but it went nowhere.

I will continue to finish this series, I love the location, the characters and the interesting story lines! One of my favorite detectives!!
Elizabeth
May 15, 2017 Elizabeth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
Readable but not much else:
The story kept me interested, but I did feel that Venice wasn't evoked fully and the characters left me cold. I wasn't too sure about how it developed - a lot of irrelevant details and characters who seemed to change their minds very easily. Something to read after a long day.
  • The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano, #11)
  • Vendetta (Aurelio Zen, #2)
  • Murder in Mykonos (Andreas Kaldis, #1)
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
  • Death in August
  • Brunetti's Venice: Walks with the City's Best-Loved Detective
  • Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1)
  • No Mark Upon Her (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #14)
  • The Last Judgement (Jonathan Argyll, #4)
Donna Leon (born September 29, 1942, in Montclair, New Jersey) is an American author of a series of crime novels set in Venice and featuring the fictional hero Commissario Guido Brunetti.

Donna Leon has lived in Venice for over twenty-five years. She has worked as a lecturer in English Literature for the University of Maryland University College - Europe (UMUC-Europe) in Italy, then as a Professor
More about Donna Leon...

Commissario Brunetti (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
  • Dressed for Death (Commissario Brunetti, #3)
  • Death and Judgment (Commissario Brunetti, #4)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
  • Quietly in Their Sleep (Commissario Brunetti, #6)
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • Fatal Remedies (Commissario Brunetti, #8)
  • Friends in High Places (Commissario Brunetti, #9)
  • A Sea of Troubles (Commissario Brunetti, #10)