Start by marking “Raising Readers” as Want to Read:
Raising Readers

Raising Readers

Published October 1st 1992 by Peguis Publishers, Limited (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Readers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Readers

Carolin
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
An interesting and easily understandable book about how children learn to read and how important it is to read aloud as a parent. Well, I totally agree with the author, reading is understanding meaning, understanding is subjective and can be made easier for children who learn how to read by repetitions...I just didn't feel like I was in need of so many repetitions in a non-fiction book for adults. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice read, some information was just given again and again.
Susan
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
I haven't done much research on the different approaches to teaching kids to read, so this book helped raise some of the questions. He basically promotes reading for meaning rather than emphasizing phonics or sight reading. Those are both valid tools, he says, but can't become the focus.
Cynthia
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Grateful I received this as a baby gift. I recommend to all parents, especially those caught up in worry about how children learn to read!
Kelly