Start by marking “Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want” as Want to Read:
Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want

Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want

Just graduated? Feeling a little lost? Life After College is like a portable life coach, giving you straightforward guidance on maneuvering the real world--along with tips, inspiration, and exercises for getting you where you want to go.

Congrats, you've graduated! You have your whole life ahead of you. Do you feel overwhelmed? Unsure? Deluged with information, but no rea
Published March 29th 2011 by Running Press Adult (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Life After College, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After College

Start your review of Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
Jenny
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, obviously I'm biased. I think "read" is putting it lightly, seeing as I read this thing about 3,000 times while editing! But based on the effort and love that I poured into it, and judging on whether it is a book I would want to read, I'm giving myself five stars :D. I'd love to know what you think when you're done reading!
Doniree
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is going to be as important for late twenty and early thirty-somethings as it is for recent college graduates. Jenny's balance of personal stories, inspirational quotes and insight, and practical exercises help the reader identify values and goals. The book helps to clarify direction by asking questions. Jenny's experience as a Career Development Manager, Life Coach, and Yoga Instructor really come through - she's encouraging, motivating, compassionate, and her energy and enthusiasm is ...more
Jessica
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
LIFE AFTER COLLEGE was just the book I needed to read right about now. I graduated from college in May and launched into a full time PR job in June. Life has been a complete whirlwind since then, and this book gave me the chance to really reflect on the different areas of my life and figure out what I want, and how to get it.

Broken into 10 different sections: life, work, money, home, organization, friends and family, dating and relationships, health, fun and relaxation and personal growth, this
Lucie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

I think this is a book I'll probably come back to in the future so that I can finish working through the worksheets & prompts in here. I think that's where a lot of the benefit of this book comes from. I think that the worksheets I did complete were helpful and made me think. I found Blake's advice overall to be helpful overall. Although I found her advice on more practical matters (like work, money, and home) more helpful than her advice on more "emotional matters" (like relationships
Amanda
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most people say that this book is a must buy for anyone right out of college or in their early 20s. As a 25 year old, I would have to agree, however, I would like to add that it is a must buy for anyone, at ANY AGE, who wants to learn more about themselves, set real goals and start living their life on purpose.

When I purchased this book early in 2011, I was just gliding through life a few years post-college, in a job that was not fulfilling or challenging. Starting to read and work through this
Beth
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A good thought organizer for someone after college or later to get coherency about what to do in life. I like the way it could get one to think about work, money , home, friends, health and more. It has exercises, long term planning helps, ways to elicit from your own mind what you really are thinking. As a retired person who has to give a commencement speech at my college for one hour in May, I thought it might give me some hints about what to say. I ended up realizing that since I am not a fam ...more
Alissa
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Full of great tips, tidbits, and exercises to help you determine what your passions are and how to integrate them into your everyday life.
Rosie Nguyễn
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 20-sthg
A badly written book. Despite its usefulness.

Jenny, appreciate your ideas and suggestions in this book. But next time, find a better way to convey your messages.
Matty Mclain
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and the way that it was set up. It has a wealth of knowledge and is very helpful for recent graduates.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wish-list, nonfiction
This is an excellent guide to finding yourself, finding out who you want to be, and figuring out how you're going to get there after college. I know I'm doing pretty well for myself considering my circumstances, but this book was full of plenty of tips and tricks to improve myself, and things to start implementing for the future.

I wish I had actually bought this book, instead of getting it from the library - that way I could actually fill out some of the questionnaires and lists, and keep track
Annie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Motivational drivel from a woman that won't shut up about how she loves cupcakes and running. I don't know what I expected from this book, but it was a gift, so I felt compelled to read it. Honestly, the advice is nothing you don't already know. The main problem with the book is that it offers no advice on how to find a job after college, or work through grad school.

However, if you enjoy books where you get to fill out narcissistic personality surveys, you might enjoy this one. Otherwise, DON'T
L
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive in covering work,money, home, organization, friends & family, dating & relationships, health, fun & relaxation, and personal growth. There are a wealth of relevant quotes and various exercises within each section. There are ten or so recommended readings at the end of each section for further exploration. A good reference guide. ...more
Joanne
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Jenny is really nice and I enjoy her website and her Google Drive templates. I have done many of the exercises in the book but I will always keep this book and work on different sections as needed. This book has something in it for everyone. I even bought my brother a copy!
Mandy
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great read for anybody about to start or just finished college. If you're life is pretty much together and know most of what is being mentioned in this book, it's still worth the read. It brings up a few good points I never thought of before on stuff I already knew.
Mandy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved all the different aspects of life that she touches on as well as the different formats of information (quotes, her personal experiences, the lists of tips, the workbook sections, etc.). Useful read for anyone trying to sort this whole life thing out.
ChaChanna Simpson
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book gives you everything you need to get what you want after graduation. There are plenty of exercises to help you look at the big picture of you life and not just focus on the details.
Jennifer Grayeb
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for every twenty-something. Period.

Go buy it, I promise you will not regret it.
John Muscarello
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are in your early or late twenties, this book is a must read!
Michelle
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, home, self-help
Great book! I love that she give templates for you to download from her website!
Royale
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fabulous book for my adult/college kids! Personal growth, life planning delivered in a way that appeals to young adults. Wish I had this book 20 years ago for me:)
Stephanie
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Didn't get a chance to read it from cover to cover, but I did make note of the journalling sections. An engaging and inspiring read.
Staci
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good book, with a nice balance between things written by the author and quotes/tweets from others as well as exercises. The format of the book is actually pretty helpful although it seems confusing at first when you first get to that page at the beginning that details what each symbol means -- ignore that, only going back if you get confused or want to know what each subsection is supposed to focus on, just going through and reading the book will help you figure it out. The combination ...more
Duchess_Nimue
It's a well intended book on the most basic get-yourself-together kind of advice. It's a feel-good type of a book. I didn't feel it was exceptionally insightful, or helpful. A lot of the advice seemed to be just generic, didn't even feel as good reminders. Blake divided the book in 11 chapters;
1. Life: Your Big Picture,
11. Closing Thoughts.

Every chapter has li
Iris Frani
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was very helpful to read this book because it is like a diary where you can write and have your owns thoughts. There are questions that you will answer and will help you to evaluate yourself.
Tiffany Pan
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
Super duper helpful advice!! Need to review it
Caitlin
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This will be my new go-to book for my college graduates - such a great and practical book from one of my favorite people, Jenny Blake!
Nicole
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading through this book and taking notes on all the good tips, quotes, and exercises. It was helpful, especially for one that is looking for a job/being interviewed/living at home/working on relationships/etc.
Monique
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jenny was working at Google, and running her blog (Life After College) when she hit a quarter life crisis. She eventually left Google to be a coach/writer/speaker.

It was a great book with tons of tips and quotes in its pages. It covers a variety of topics, and was organized very nicely. There are exercises in every chapter, so it’s a book where you will have to have a pen and paper handy, as well as time to think on the questions. She got advice from others, which meant you saw a good variety of
Allison
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This book can be reassuring, but didn't tell me much that I didn't already know. The most compelling part of the book is the final chapter - when she gets personal and talks openly about the process of writing and publishing the book. I loved this part not only as an aspiring writer trying not to give in to self-doubt, but because there is a lot to learn about not listening to your inner critics.
Jessy
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Better than the other "quarter-life crisis" books I've been reading. Its good for post-grads that are a little... lost. The big bad "real world" can be confusing and scary, and plans don't always work out. Its easy to get into a rut, its easy to get stuck, and this is a great source for finding motivation, setting goals, figuring yourself out, and deciding how to proceed.
لمابعد الجامعه 1 3 Aug 23, 2011 10:05PM

• The Financial Diet
  • Little Voices
  • State of the Heart: Exploring the History, Science, and Future of Cardiac Disease
  • Randomistas: How Radical Researchers Changed Our World
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • Narrative Economics: How Stories Go Viral and Drive Major Economic Events
  • Limitless: Core Techniques to Improve Performance, Productivity, and Focus
  • The Absolute Book
  • Sitting Together: Essential Skills for Mindfulness-Based Psychotherapy
  • The Case Against Sugar
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • Providing Reference Services for Archives & Manuscripts
  • Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
  • 52 Small Changes for the Mind: Improve Memory * Minimize Stress * Increase Productivity * Boost Happiness
  • The Doctor and the Diplomat: Courage and Chaos on the Ebola Frontline
  • Start Right Where You Are: How Little Changes Can Make a Big Difference for Overwhelmed Procrastinators, Frustrated Overachievers, and Recovering Perfectionists
  • Holy Cow
Jenny Blake is an author, career and business strategist and international speaker who helps smart people organize their brain, move beyond burnout, and build sustainable, dynamic careers they love. She is the author of the forthcoming book, Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One (Portfolio/Penguin Random House, September 2016), and Life After College (Running Press, 2011), which is ba ...more