Start by marking “William and Harry” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  681 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of the British public but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of ...more
Published (first published June 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about William and Harry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William and Harry

Tamara
One of my favourite passages in this book, and one which I read aloud to just about anyone who would listen, dealt with the wedding of Prince Charles to Camilla, and featured a series of headlines on the topic from newspapers around the world. It featured that of the New York Post, which read, "QUEEN TO SKIP CHUCK NUPS." I laughed, out loud.

Well, if this book had a New York Post headline - because, to be honest, most of it feels like a Post article, or like it belongs between glossy pages with t
Kay
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I'm not sure why I even picked this book up at the library--- except when I get down in my stack of library books I meander over to the bio section and find one. Usually it's on sports star, actor, or even a politician. This time I grabbed this book even though my interest in the Royal family is pretty low.

The book was a quick read for a bio but what surprised me the very most is almost everything in this book I had read in the headlines of the papers [I rarely read the articles to keep up!!!].
Steven
An insider's look at the unusual lives of two most modern princes. Unfortunately, the older the princes are, the less interesting the book becomes. It begins to read like a soap opera--but then, one might argue such is the nature of these privileged but peculiar lives.

I enjoyed this audiobook.

I enjoyed exploring the palaces, traveling the world, meeting so many people--discovering English boarding schools and military service. I also found royal customs interesting, such as referring to the brot
Rachel
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT. Don't judge. I was on vacation. Also, I borrowed this from the library, so it's not like I spent $ on it.

This selection is right up there with another lapse in judgment I made years ago, when I chose to read Oprah's Unauthorized Biography. Random facts from that still jump in my mind from time to time, as I'm sure this will also.

Whilst reading this in Australia, on the way to an airport, my husband inquired as to my kindle literature selection. He had to drag a confession out of me. When I
ABC
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It was just mindless brain candy about a couple of poor little rich boys. I haven't been keeping up with them over the years, yet most of the stories seemed vaguely familiar. But it was fun.

It probably should not be called "Behind the palace walls" since they rarely seemed to be in a palace. Much of their youth was spent in boarding school, and their adulthood spent partying (although according to this book they do have demanding careers....)

Jessica
William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls was cute, but as many others previously commented, it did not provide much new information on The Royals. It's just a quick and enjoyable read that sums up what we all already know. This book is also very dated, since by the final chapter of the book Prince William and Kate Middleton are not even engaged.
Susan
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a closet Royalist. I love reading books about the royal family but I don't usually have time to fit them in. I listened to this book on the way up the I-5 to pick Gabe up from UC Merced. It was a bit heavy on speculation but contained a lot of details that were of interest. I got it from the library and it was 6 years old- so a bit dated too.
Ellie Revert
Sort of embarrassed that I read this, but then again I have another to read about the bride-to-be. Overwhelmed by the amount of drinking at such early ages by all the young people.
Jeffry
Dec 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, although it felt a little like reading People magazine. I'd love to hear their side of the story.
Bookworm1858
William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls by Katie Nicholl
Weinstein Books, 2010
308 pages
British Books Challenge
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: An insider's look at Princes William and Harry as written by royal reporter for the Mail on Sunday Katie Nicholl.

I know I'm an American but I've been fascinated with the modern British royals, partly due to my mom's love of Diana and I'm so excited for the royal wedding which incidentally automatically dates this book. When Nicholl's published it, the e
RNOCEAN
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
*WILLIAM & HARRY: BEHIND PALACE WALLS* by Katie Nicholl

"Beginning with the birth of the elder William in 1982, the author covers all the major events of the princes' lives up to the present. She mostly colors in their childhood with the idiosyncrasies of their mother, the late Diana: her quest to deviate from royal tradition, giving birth in a hospital and hiring young nannies, and her eschewing her sovereign kin, preferring to shop, watch soaps and gab on the telephone. The media's chronic
Jan
Okay!! I confess. I am a royal watcher and I've read the newspaper articles and the magazine articles about the "royals" with great interest over the years. I wasn't impressed with this author at first as what she shared about the William and Harry, as toddlers, I had read, years ago.And there are no pictures in this book that I haven't seen before.. However,as I got into the book,and the boys moved into their teens,and then their 20's, the information shared by the author increased and I learne ...more
Gabrielle Mae
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William and Harry is a fascinating insight into the lives and loves of two extraordinary young men who have captured not only the hearts and minds of not only the British public, but those the world over. This is the definitive book about the princes, bringing their story right up to date. It is the tale of two brothers who have carried the legacy of their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, into the twenty-first century and on whom the future of the House of Windsor largely depends.
Drawing on her
Maria
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
The only reason I read this book was the fact that while my boyfriend was using my Kindle, he accidentally bought this book. And when I found out, it was too late to cancel the order. So, what I did was to make him pay for it. I didn't want this book.

Anyway, my review. Right.

Almost everyone in Britain know about the Daily Mail and how unreal it is. Katie Nicholl, in case you're not aware of it, is one of the royal reporters. BUT she's not like any royal reporter — she's the only royal reporter (
Samantha
It's true, I'm a royal watcher. No, a royal obsessor would be more like it! In getting ready for April 29, 2011, I read everything royal I could get my hands on. And I mean everything. I may have even picked up a Star Magazine to read about Kate's secret love child. (oh, the shame! LOL!) Anyway, this book told the exact same stories and gossip as all of the others of the genre. The drinking, the girls, the rumors about Harry and Charles relationship and will Her Royal Majesty Elizabeth II skip o ...more
Cathy
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: gift from Roy and Garth
Shelves: biography, royalty
Very informative and enjoyable book about Princes William and Harry of Great Britain. The author seemed to know what she was writing about; it was a serious look at their lives, not a tabloid scandal sheet version of missteps and embarrassments. I especially liked hearing how close they are to their father and how loving and supportive of them he really is. The public doesn't generally see the softer side of Prince Charles and I'm glad to know that the princes were always told and shown love fro ...more
Cynthia
Yes, I am one of those tasteless people who read the magazines at the grocery store checkout lines whenever the royals appear on the cover. This book is a good compilation of all those articles, all in one place - mmmm good. I came out feeling both envious of the two boys and terribly sorry for their lack of privacy. The book makes it pretty clear that William is playing a delaying game for as long as possible before being completely sucked into the "job" of being a royal with all the daily assi ...more
This is was my kindle choice for a recent trip. It was exactly the type of fluff I was seeking for a 10+ hour plane trip. For years I've been fascinated by British royality. How a family that in any other setting would be very ordinary people, just by an accident of birth are the most recognized royal family ever. I've read about all of them going back to Queen Victoria.

Unfortunately, this book was published before William married Kate Middleton. Had it been updated, it would have probably been
Pinky
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-11
Had to go back over this after starting The Making of a Royal Romance by Katie Nicholl, not realizing they were essentially the same book, just revised and expanded (new photographs?). I haven't noticed any other significant revisions. A clear, even-handed portrait of what it is like for young royals trying to live a normal life. I really like both William and Harry Wales and their girlfriends Kate and Chelsea. V. amusing descriptions of the Glossy Posse's nightclub antics and drinking preferenc ...more
Anna
I love reading backstories of the royal family. Royalty seems so ancient to me because of where I live, but monarchies are still alive and well--although somewhat removed from politics except symbolically. Anyway, I enjoyed learning about the Princes of England--their childhood, teenage years, university, and time in the military.
Amy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, my-travels
perfect reading for getting caught up on the British family before our trip to England!
Claire
Jul 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I usually love biographies, but not this one. It reads like a tabloid article and the author continuously name drops herself. Wouldn't recommend.
Beth E
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book for the insight it provided in the inner workings of modern royalty, the desire to have a normal experience, and the sheer inability to have early adulthood be anything but normal. Delightful and forgiving for the errors we've heard of in the press and a chance to provide grace to young men working to find their way among old and new traditions. Well done.
Dana Gillis
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having just returned from London in January, I wanted to learn more about the Royal family. This book is very well-written, entertaining and easy to follow. The author shared antedotes and stories that I have not heard previously. I feel like I know much more about the Royal family!
Diane
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not particularly a "royal watcher" but do like biographies, and this one could be labeled "ripped from the headlines" because it seems like everything in it was just a mirror of headlined stories about William and Harry, their upbringing, peccadilloes, love affairs, schooling and careers. It's pretty repetitious and merely reinforces most peoples interpretations of them, that they are privileged, good-looking young men who have had all the advantages in life, and at times acted just as irres ...more
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Written by the Sunday Mail's "royal correspondent," this biography of the princes seems geared toward an American audience: rife with explanations of things like gap years and the British school system. In England, where Harry and Wills are better loved than any princes since the Plantagenets, the public has read everything in this book hundreds of times. If you've kept up with news stories about the royal family at all, don't bother with it.

c
Karen S
So maybe I am a little starstruck....

These boys are truly trying to live normal lives and trying to find their place. Of course, "normal" is a relative term and with the majority of the book focused on their school years--prep school and university--, they do spend quite a lot of time engaged in college frat boy behaviors. But, I sense a maturity in both of them as they come of age and come to terms with being the "heir and the spare".
Garci
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a royal watcher, it was a fascinating look at how the brothers have matured over the years. They appear to have maintained a good balance of living relatively normally and being very important members of "the firm." I especially enjoyed references to their grandmother, the Queen. Their mum would be so proud of them, I'm sure.
Jason
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, bio, 2011, ebook
Rehash of familiar tabloid coverage, with just enough behind-the-scenes thrown in to make it sightly interesting. It does do a fairly decent job of conveying the Princes desire to be as "normal" as possible, which of course is laughable because we "normals" wouldn't mind being as "royal" as possible, would we? Overall, the book is an easy read, just glad I didn't pay for it.
Michelle
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Good insight into Diana's boys and the influences on their life. I appreciated the balanced view of Diana. Their life choices are interesting as they work to find purpose in their life when the bigger decisions are already made.

• Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Jeff Corwin: A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Catherine the Great
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • The Gates of November
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Diana: Story of a Princess
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Mob Star: The Story of John Gotti
  • Hermit in Paris: Autobiographical Writings
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • Kate: The Making of a Princess
  • The Diana Chronicles
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare

“Having their muscles manipulated by the future king proved too much from some of the girls, who descended into fits of giggles.” 0 likes