Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories

Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories

Inspired by Arthur Conan Doyle’s original Sherlock Holmes stories, John Taylor has written four more mysteries featuring the world’s greatest detective. Read by acclaimed actor Benedict Cumberbatch, these new adventures share all the suspense of the original tales. In a drawer in his bureau, Dr. Watson keeps a locked cedar wood chest—a "box of secrets." It contains an ...more
Audio CD
Published November 4th 2010 by BBC Physical Audio (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes

Start your review of Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
Sr3yas
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

After my past encounters with some disappointing pieces of Sherlock Holmes pastiches, I started running away from them like I avoid calls of notorious telemarketers. But as always, there are times when I let myself get stupidly wooed by irresistible offers, and this was one of them. I mean, who can resist Benedict Cumberlord?

Here was the offer: My generation's embodiment of Sherlock Holmes (sorry, Robert Downy .Jr) reading Sherlock Holmes stories! This must be what readers who grew up
Shayantani
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I am not going to pretend that I read err.. listened to this audio book for any reason other than, well him

description

sigh But, this book did surprise me as it was fairly decent. Of course it was nothing like the original, yet the mysteries sometimes managed to draw my attention away from Cumberbatch’s voice. Now that is an achievement because he is such a brilliant actor. I am not that keen about audio books but with him as the narrator…*sigh*..you get the point.

Sherlock fans, check it out!
madamescozycorner
Four Sherlock Holmes stories narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch? YES PLEASE!
This little audiobook is perfect if you have to do little chores and don't want the time to be spent just with those boring tasks! Benedict Cumberbatch has an amazing narrating voice to listen to and I fairly enjoyed it. (Plus, imagining him and Martin Freeman as Sherlock and Watson while listening is a big PLUS! ;-P

TL
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'An Inscrutable Masquerade' - 3 stars
'The Conundrum of Coach 13' - 2.5 stars
'The Trinity Vicarage Larceny'- 2 stars
'The 10.59 Assassin' - 3 stars

Narration: 5 Stars.. Benedict Cumberbatch is pretty good as a narrator for this. He voices everyone wonderfully and I didn't have trouble falling into the stories. I was wondering if I'd be distracted by his voice but that wasn't the case. Like Alan Cumming narrating Specimen Days , it was just an added bonus:).

*points to ratings* As for the stories
Gunne
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of audio books, because I truly love reading at my own pace, and you can't do that when someone is reading to you. I'm a control freak like that, and I love being able to turn pages back and forth, particularly when I've missed something or am in awe or something. This is the first audio book I've ever listened to, and only because it contains the voice of one very [insert every possible variant of 'remarkable' or 'amazing' available to the English language] Benedict Cumberbatch. ...more
Mackenzie
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't usually 'read' audio books and I wouldn't even start listening to this one if it weren't for the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was reading it. The highlight of the entire work is, for me, Mr. Cumberbatch's excellent reading. I'm not even going to deny that I'm a fan of his sexy baritone, but what convinced me to stick through this whole audio book experience and not give up on it the way I did the other audio books was HOW Cumberbatch read it.

Proving what an excellent actor/reader he
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
I'm in a Sherlock Holmes mood at the moment, partially due to the book I'm reading about the character's evolution and partially due to the NYE special. So when this popped up as a suggestion on my audiobook app I had to listen to it.

It's a very short book - much like Conan Doyle's tales about this great detective - but the four stories included in this audiobook were not all as good as the original. Entertaining, yes, but most of the time the deductions were easy for the listener to make
A Meneses
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, 2016
More like 2.5: The mysteries were Ok, sometimes a little boring. But Cumbertbatch narration was, as expected, fabulous. I really hope someone pays him to read the original Sherlock.
Lynne
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I was so excited to find that Benedict Cumberbatch had done the reading for an audio-book version of Sherlock Holmes. However, I was a little sad to realize that it is not one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novels, but instead a new author who was attempting to write as the characters. I went and found a copy of this and started listening. I was cautiously optimistic. Honestly, how bad could it be, I thought!

There are four separate mysteries that are supposedly rediscovered by Dr. John Watson in
TRex_TeaTime
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
These were great little stories that fit very well within the Sherlock world. Of course they were wonderfully narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch.

My only complaint is that they felt way too short and sometimes very rushed to the conclusion.
Rain
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who said I only listened to this audiobook because of a certain Benedict Cumberbatch? Well, if you did, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. This is my first audiobook and the fact that I'm going to listen to Ben's voice for two hours earned this book a special place in my heart (and ears). I didn't want this book to end. HIS VOICE IS SO EXQUISITE I COULD LISTEN TO IT FOREVER. Anyway I should stop fangirling now.

Aside from being a Cumberperson, I am also a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. The stories were good
Pam Mcbride
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
John Taylor is enormously fortunate to have Benedict Cumberbatch read these stories, as are we. The stories themselves range from pretty good---especially the fiirst--to pretty lame (the third), but Cumberbatch's narration is masterful. Taylor has done a very good job of capturing the personalities of the original Dr. Watson and Holmes (perhaps occasionally imbuing Holmes with a little more warmth and social ease than Conan Doyle did) and Cumberbatch renders their voices and personalities ...more
Jenn
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, audio
I listened to the audiobook. I admit it: I was only interested in it because it's narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch (mmm...Benedict Cumberbatch). I think everyone who's listened to this listened to it precisely because it was read by Benedict Cumberbatch (mmm...Benedict Cumberbatch). People can't be listening to it for the stories. The stories are not up to snuff. Sherlock is not as brilliant as Doyle's original, the dialog is trite, and the mysteries themselves are not all that, well, ...more
Amina
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, that wasn't really some Sherlock Holmes mysteries, in fact, I didn't feel the genious in it, I wasn't expecting it to be just like Sir Conan Doyle's S.H, but at least, just a little bit.
The narrator's voice was really pleasant and did limit the damages :D
Gabri
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
A collection of four short stories; unfortunately none of them were very intriguing. An Inscrutable Masquerade probably stayed with me the most, because of having a somewhat original twist, but at the same time Watson's behaviour felt the least like Watson in this one. The other three stories were all some variant of the same concept (view spoiler), which was both unoriginal and predictable. The 10.59 Assassin at last provided us with a murder, ...more
Betsy Gant
Honestly only listened to this because of Cumberbatch. Most of the mysteries were pretty predictable, but Cumberbatch makes up for the predictability with his phenomenal voice acting. Twas enjoyable.
Cathleen
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathleen by: Diane
Frankly, not that impressive. The stories are mediocre at best, and a few of the clues and deductions are much too close to ones in Doyle's original stories.

audiobook note: Yes, Cumberbatch offers strong and expressive readings, but the producers have relied too much on the good will with which his ardent fans will color their critiques. Since Holmes stories are always presented from the POV of Watson, it would have made more sense to cast Martin Freeman as the narrator, and I found myself
Julia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Benedict Cumberbatch might read obituaries or the phone book and I'd still sit back and enjoy it. Here he's reading four Sherlock Holmes stories, which are very entertaining.
maria helena

Review to come
Tiara
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audiobook narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch
Taylor has captured Conan Doyle's style perfectly. I found these short stories to be rather refreshing. Quick and straight to to point, very easy to listen to. Love Cumberbatch's use of different voices for each of the characters.

Although I did find it a little bit strange having Cumberbatch (Sherlock) reading as Watson more than reading as the character I know and love him for.
Liawèn
I heard it today in the tram and I must've looked kinda dreamy^^ I mean who can judge me. It's Sherlock Holmes and Benedict Cumberbatch. What could a woman want more? Exactly, more stories... I hope he makes another Sherlock Holmes audiobook.

The first story was solid. I was confused at first but then it all made sense the time Watson's friend saw Watson in the street. Although I found it kinda cruel of Holmes to confine Watson to their apartments without telling him the real reason. But oh
Lydia
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I swear I reviewed this one!

Anyway, I recommended this one to someone who wanted some audiobooks read by Benedict Cumberbatch (hi, Vanessa~!) and that is precisely why I picked up this book.

It was a bit surreal having Benedict Cumberbatch speak as John Watson, the narrator, but I still loved it. I love all the stories. I'm a Sherlock Holmes fan, and nothing will ever change that, let's be real.

Some of the stories (one of them, in particular) I really, really liked, and some others felt a little
Lisa
A lot of people probably picked up the audiobook for the same reason I did – Benedict Cumberbatch, who is more than a fine narrator. The stories themselves are nothing to get excited about as they add very little to the Sherlock Holmes canon and have nothing to recommend them.
Rain
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Derelict Space Sheep
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: detective
42 WORD REVIEW:

Although contrived in places, these four Sherlock Holmes pastiches are of sufficient quality that they feel like original Conan Doyle stories. Benedict Cumberbatch, at the time having just concluded series one of Sherlock, narrates from Watson’s perspective without unduly distracting the listener.
Sarah Baker
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like so many other reviewers, I was in for Benedict Cumberbatch. But that Watson voice? No, baby, no. Just stop.
The stories themselves were pretty good. Short mysteries, typical Holmesian formula, but without malice or snark (something I wish Cumberbatch would have carried to the TV show, but that's an argument for another time). Worth the listen!
Ralph
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, 2019
3.5 stars - A pleasant way to spend two (too few) hours with the fabulous Benedict "Sherlock" Cumberbatch.

A collection of four short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson with a total running time of two hours. The mysteries aren't over the top, but are entertaining enough, especially when read by "Sherlock" himself.
Reynar Swan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very entertaining shorts here. Not quintessential Holmes, mind you, but good nonetheless, and definitely worth the time for fans of Holmes or Agatha Christie, for that matter. Paced nicely with a couple decent twists.

As talented as Cumberbatch is as an actor, he is equally adept in narration (if not more so). I can only wish more books were done by him.
Scott Perdue
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The book itself – a small collection of four short Holmes mysteries – was mediocre. However, the audiobook, read by Sherlock himself (Benedict Cumberbatch), was a joy to listen to. I wish Cumberbatch would read all my books for me.
Rajkumar Pagey
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Listened this book just because of Benedict.

Nothing great about the book but you can listen to it if you are a Sherlock fan.

• The Unexpected Guest
  • The Magic Shop
  • Casanova: Actor Lover Priest Spy
  • Jane Austen: The BBC Radio Drama Collection
  • Cabin Pressure: From A to Z
  • The Adventure of the Devil's Foot
  • Scales of Justice (Roderick Alleyn, #18)
  • Six Creepy Tales by Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Planets
  • The Problem with Thor Bridge
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I
  • The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone
  • The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • The Landlady
  • The Mound
  • Operation Interstellar
  • Agatha Christie: Twelve Radio Mysteries: Twelve BBC Radio 4 dramatisations
John Taylor is the author of Girl is Not a Number. Though he has a number of other books in process, this is the only book published at this time.