Start by marking “L'accalappiastreghe” as Want to Read:
L'accalappiastreghe

L'accalappiastreghe (Zamonien #5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,343 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
Se Mefistofele si trasferisse a Zamonia, lì, tra pellestrelli e uova ponzanti, scarpolufi saccenti e shokkie innamorate, fantasmi cotti e mummie ciclopiche, lupi fogliosi e vedove candide, quasi sicuramente assumerebbe le sembianze di Succubio Malfrosto, l'accalappiastreghe municipale. E il sinistro figuro, eccellente alchimista e signore incontrastato della desolata città ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Salani (first published August 31st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about L'accalappiastreghe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'accalappiastreghe

Michael
Postponing everything bar work can only mean one thing, another Walter Moers book needs a reading. Nobody does comic fantasy better, and this is something that is cemented again in what is the fourth book set in the Zamonia world.

This series has always been about adventure, as different memorable characters take in the length and breadth of this amazing island continent. However, in this installment, we break the mold in the sickest city in the land, Malaisea. Here resident live in fear of the A
Lydia Presley
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The back of this book has a review by the New York Times Book Review with the words "Cheerfully insane..."

When I started this story I just didn't know if I could get into it. Walter Moers imagination is off the charts - it felt like I was being sat down and told a fairy tale with names being made up left and right. But then.. I was introduced to Anguish Candles.

Not normal candles, mind you - these candles suffer when they burn.. and they inch along..and they moan. And they are never put out of t
Liz Weasleyhead
"Oben ist unten und hässlich ist schön."
Joshua
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Walter Moers! This book follows Echo the Crat (a cat that can speak all creature's languages) as he is saved from starvation by the Alchemaster, Ghoolion. Ghoolion's proposal is to treat Echo to the most amazing culinary treats in order to fatten him up to then, well end his life to take his fat.

Not only does Echo find out a lot about Ghoolion and his love(s) but also about the inhabitants of Ghoolion's castle and the secrets of the house itself. His (one-month) life's mission
Cyrus
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giving this a pre-emptive 5 stars, though I am not done yet. Reviews call this a "children's book for adults," and I don't think that's too far from the truth. What makes it "adult" is not large-scale political troubles or the horrors of the human condition a la The Guy Who Wrote Wicked and Other Stuff I Don't Particularly Care For, but a willingness to go to places the Brothers Grimm might go, and the modern fortitude to make fun of their absurdity.

It's the sort of thing I'd love to read out l
Bine
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es ist nicht mein liebster Zamonienroman, aber er war trotzdem natürlich mal wieder super. Vor allen Dingen war das Ende mal wieder super spektakulär und einfach nur schön. Vor allem auch die intertexutellen Bezüge machen den Reiz dieses Buches aus und auch die Nachwörter des Autors und des Übersetzers sind zum Schreien komisch und absolut lesenswert!
John
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining yarn from Walter Moers.

This time, it is interesting to see Moers take his creativity into the realm of cooking. I am a picky eater who doesn't want to try much of anything, but his vivid imagery couldn't help but make me drool a little.

Furthermore, the lead character - a Crat - is a fun, protagonist. You are on his side right from the beginning, but there are moments where Moers wants you to think about why exactly you like this character...should you?

As always, I love whene
Sylvester
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was walking slowly through the Fantasy stacks at my favorite library, caressing the spines of the Walter Moers as I came to them, when I stopped in surprise and nearly fell over myself trying to snatch this book off the shelf before anyone else could. You see, not enough of Moers' books have been translated, in my opinion, and I have been bemoaning that fact since the last of his that I read - SO!! Joy! Joy! This was a bonus I hadn't expected.

And I was not disappointed. I loved the Crat.

Moers
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Se non avete mai letto Moers, non sapete cosa sia un libro geniale e fantasioso!

Arrivo al punto di dire che, per me, Moers ha più fantasia della Rowling stessa. Non prendetemi per eretica, la Rowling è la mia dea e colleziono edizioni di HP in tutte le lingue.. Ma Moers.. Diamine, Moers non è umano!

L'accalappiastreghe è un libro complesso e complicato, non fatevi ingannare dalla copertina né dalla dicitura 'libro per bambini'.. Qui come non mai considero assurda la catalogazione (non credo lo fa
Kate Sherrod
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every new-to-me Walter Moers book I pick up immediately becomes my new favorite Walter Moers book, and thus one of my favorite books, full stop. This has happened ever since I first stumbled across a somewhat battered copy of Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures several years ago at my local public library and wondered what the hell was going on with that. One is always going on with the mix of over-the-top imaginative fantasy, adorable illustrations, sophisticated plotting and outrageous wordplay ...more
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
Walter Moers is one of the most imaginative people I have ever read. His novels are full of quests and goals that take the reader along for an unmistakable ride that just does not stop till the book is over, and it is so addicting that you want to go back to the beginning and start all over again.
The Alchemaster is his latest novel, and though this time around we do not get to explore much of the world of Zamonia, the ride is nerve wrecking just the same. The main character in this book is a "
Dave
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The forth (translated, we've yet to see Hansel und Gretal in english) book in Walter Moers Zamonia sequence. This is different from the previous books as, following just one month in the life of Echo the Crat (exactly like a cat, except it talks) it avoids the pattern of the whimsical, if somewhat dark, travelogue.
After the death of his mistress and on the point of starvation, Echo signs a contract with the evil alchemaster to be fed magnificent meals for a month, before giving his life so that
Kim
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second Walter Moers book, the first being The City of Dreaming Books. He's the MOST imaginative writer I've come across in a while, and I'll definitely be reading the rest of his books. But not only am I amazed at the creativity of Moers, I'm stunned by the translation into English. (Wish I had the translator's name here, but I don't.) The original German prose is filled with made-up words, and the English translation SOMEHOW manages to retain the author's intended impressions (at le ...more
Amber
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of surprises! It's the best kind of story, where you think you know exactly what's going on, and then there's a zig or zag in the road that catches you off guard. I've read 3 of Mr. Moers Zamonia novels now, and it fascinates me how each of the novels has had such a distinctive flavor to it. This book truly had the flair of an undiluted Grimm's fairy tale. It had all the horrific elements that you would want to have in a scary story, and it had a protagonist with an indomitabl ...more
Dieter
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Auch das vierte Buch aus der Zamonien-Serie ist einfach überwältigend. Neben Höhenflügen der Phantasie bietet Moers auch sprachlich einfach Unvergleichbares. Die kulinarisch-alchimistischen Abenteuer Echos, eines Krätzchens (vergleichbar einem Kätzchen, nur kann es sprechen und hat zwei Lebern) im kranksten Ort von Zamonien sind unwiderstehlich. Man fühlt sich nachher jedenfalls, als ob man Erkenntnüsse (vom Baum der Erkenntnuss) gegessen hätte. Oder vielleicht Kaviar vom Tarnkappenstör, die die ...more
Kat
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.5 but so deserved. one of my favourites of walter moers' work tbh.
im actually writing my thesis on this one and feel so glad that i did like it and wont have to write 12 pages about a book i cant stand...;)
review coming up soon, im just a bit too busy to keep up with all the reviews i want/have to write.
Ravzeldinkov
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UN libro maravilloso, lleno de imaginación y giros inesperados. Un terror infantil hermosamente narrado sin ahorrarse detalles macabros y sin endulzar una historia para todas las edades. Muy entretenido y original.
Boris
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
zalige mengeling van de zotte fantasie van Moers, culinaire geneugden, spanning en alchemie.
Shashi Martynova
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Мёрс в лучшем виде. По сравнению с Капитаном Синькой это камерная сказка, но от этого нисколько не хуже. И да, от нее все время хочется есть и в родимый вуз - там сплошная еда и "химия".
Erin Britton
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Alchemaster’s Apprentice is chronologically the fifth of Walter Moers’ [or should that be Optimus Yarnspinner’s?] fantastical Zamonia novels although it is only the fourth to be translated into English [there still being no publication date for an English version of Ensel und Krete].

Malaisea, the least healthy place in Zamonia, is a city dominated by the Alchemaster Ghoolion, a sort of wizard-of-all-trades whose main passions in life are alchemy, taxidermy, controlling the Ugglies [Malaisea’
Angelina Steffort
What a delightfully odd story!!
Nothing less I would expect of Walter Mörs and his Zamonia books. As always you find characters you love to hate and those strange creatures you find yourself compassionate for without warning.
Still, it's not a complete 5 star for me as were The City of Dring Books or Rumo. I give it a sold 4.78947261889 stars ;-)
Nina
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of my favorite books. I read it in one day when I was about 13 years old, I just couldn't put it down. Really entertaining, fun, weird, fantastic, and incredibly charming. The world is just so odd and magical that you can enjoy even the smaller chapters that don't really add to the plot. Like every other book by Walter Moers it's definitely a wild ride, but I highly recommend it.
Jennifer Watson
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I love this book! It was just as good the second time as it was the first. I'll be adding it to my christmas list it was so fun!
Christy Schaefer
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is seriously the goofiest book I've ever read. But I absolutely loved it, even if half of it was ridiculous plot twists and made no sense until it suddenly did.

What?

Loved it.
Sam
Perfekt gelesen von Andreas Fröhlich!
Pafurion
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - Rumo is still my favourite.

"He was also rumoured to be one of the legendary Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse who had left the other four and gone freelance." - p.18
Angela Visalli
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Malfrosto venne sempre più vicino, si fermò infine davanti al cratto, si chinò su di lui e l'osservò, a lungo e spietatamente. Il vento gli faceva fremere l'ossuto collare e gli occhi scintillarono di scoperta e maligna soddisfazione di fronte alle evidenti sofferenze d'una creatura in procinto di tirare il calzino. Il puzzo di ammoniaca e etere, di zolfo e petrolio, di acido prussico e essenza cadaverica penetrò come un fascio d'aghi affilati nel sensibile nasino di Eco, ma lui non si spostò d ...more
Lisa
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hab das tolle Hörbuch gehört
Kris
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great fantasy novel in all the best ways. I found myself comparing it a little bit to a Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman with a dash of Douglas Adams. Originally written in German, it definitely has the feel of a traditional fairy tale a la the Brother's Grimm.

The story revolves around Echo the Crat (yes, Crat, that is not a spelling error) who has been captured by the local Alchemaster of Malaisea, his name is Ghoolion, and Echo is being held and fattened up so that the Alchemaster can
Calimero747
This is a must read for all the fantasy fans out there! Walter Moers is a genius. It's magical, it's creepy, it's intelligent, it's funny and it's just fantastic. Read it!

Well, this book is a part of series, but it really doesn't matter where you start because the stories aren't connected. Aside from the fact that it's happening in the same world: Zamonia.

Echo is a crat, which is a very similar being as a cat except that he has two livers and can talk. Crats are also so clever, that they speak
  • Wunschkrieg (Die Sturmkönige, #2)
  • The Night of Wishes
  • Voll Im Bilde/Alles Sense!
  • Lumen (Uralte Metropole, #3)
  • Für die Krone (Magierdämmerung, #1)
  • Nocturna: Die Nacht der gestohlenen Schatten
  • Das Känguru-Manifest (Die Känguru-Chroniken, #2)
  • Wolfsaga
  • Epoch
  • Spiegelzeit
  • Die Träume des Jonathan Jabbok (Neschan-Trilogie, #1)
  • Die Zauberer (Die Zauberer, #1)
  • Die Albenmark (Elfenritter, #2)
  • Garou (Sheep Detective Story, #2)
Walter Moers was born in 1957 and is a writer, cartoonist, painter and sculptor. He has refused to be photographed ever since his comic strips The Little Asshole and Adolf were published, the latter leading him to be declared persona non grata by the political right in Germany. Walter Moers lives in Hamburg.
More about Walter Moers...

Zamonien (10 books)
  • The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear (Zamonia, #1)
  • Ensel und Krete. Ein Märchen aus Zamonien (Zamonien, #2)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4)
  • Zamonien. Entdeckungsreise durch einen phantastischen Kontinent. Von A wie Anagrom Ataf bis Z wie Zamomin
  • Das Labyrinth der Träumenden Bücher (Zamonien, #6)
  • Prinzessin Insomnia & der alptraumfarbene Nachtmahr (Zamonien, #7)
  • Die Insel der Tausend Leuchttürme (Zamonien, #8)
  • Das Schloss der Träumenden Bücher (Zamonien, #9)

“Picture to yourself the most beautiful girl imaginable! She was so beautiful that there would be no point, in view of my meagre talent for storytelling, in even trying to put her beauty into words. That would far exceed my capabilities, so I'll refrain from mentioning whether she was a blonde or a brunette or a redhead, or whether her hair was long or short or curly or smooth as silk. I shall also refrain from the usual comparisons where her complexion was concerned, for instance milk, velvet, satin, peaches and cream, honey or ivory, Instead, I shall leave it entirely up to your imagination to fill in this blank with your own ideal of feminine beauty.” 22 likes
“This is wine," Ghoolion said solemnly. "Wine is drinkable sunlight. It's the most glorious summer's day imaginable, captured in a bottle. Wine can be a melody in a cut-glass goblet, but it can also be a cacophony in a dirty tumbler, or a rainy autumn night, or a funeral march that scorches your tongue.” 9 likes