Start by marking “Lesley Castle” as Want to Read:
Lesley Castle

Lesley Castle

This inspired novella, with its outrageous cast of superficial characters, brilliantly showcases Jane Austen's comic genius. Presented here with A History of England and Catharine. As Miss Margaret Lesley and Miss Charlotte Lutterell divulge their innermost secrets through a series of letters, each reveals where her true priorities lie—if a bridegroom is fatally wounded t
Kindle Edition
Published June 14th 2010 by SmartBookWorms (first published 1793)

To ask other readers questions about Lesley Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lesley Castle

Miriam
Aug 20, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epistolary
HA. I LOLed. LedOL. Whatever.

Melodrama, made even more hilarious by understatement. And zingy one-liners!

"We are handsome my dear Charlotte, very handsome and the greatest of our Perfections is, we are entirely insensible of them ourselves."

"During our visit, the Weather being remarkably bad, and our party particularly stupid, she was so good as to conceive a violent partiality for me"

"The elegant address of Mr Cleveland, his polished Manners and Delightful Bow, at once confirmed my attachment.
Meli
Mar 30, 2016 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Increíble leer a una Austen tan joven, ingenua e irreverente. A pesar de que estamos ante un claro caso de rebeldía adolescente con todas sus incoherencias, el libro demuestra que Jane ya desde chica no tenía pelos en la lengua, y sentí que estos relatos, algunos inacabados, son los más honestos y críticos de su obra. No le perdona nada a nadie, es cínica, es sarcástica, burlona e incluso es ofensiva.

Le da con un caño a todo el mundo, a la sociedad inglesa, a la burguesía, hasta a la realeza. Po
Cynda
I have shelved this book with my novels. It is an unfinished novel, just the beginnings. I suspect the subject just limped along too much. Too commonplace. Though I did laugh out loud, drop my jaw, re-read shocking passages, the novel is definitely juvenile and not really workable, or just not worth pursuing. Some of the characters are entertaining. The strange Margaret Lesley is the most entertaining of the bunch. I read the foreword of the incomplete novel in a collection Lesley Castle. In the ...more
Kelly
Apr 02, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
damnit. I'll never produce anything of merit if jane did this at sixteen.
Daiva
Feb 28, 2014 Daiva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
AS usual with unfinished works... I just wish there was more...
Austensibly
Dec 08, 2008 Austensibly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-austen
So you think you are a writer. Read this slim volume and weep. This is Jane Austen's teenage oeuvre. I read this on occasion, when I think I need to come to my senses (or sensibilities). It is delightful to boot.
Amanda
This one wasn't too memorable, but I was in love with the wording.
Three stars for style, and it wasn't terrible ever either.
Sio
May 16, 2012 Sio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat amusing set of short tales from the fabulous Jane Austen. The last story, Catherine, though seemed to end somewhat abruptly with no appearance of resolution.
Anne
Jun 18, 2017 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Funny! Makes me wish I knew Jane personally. Her personality, as it shines through this book, is so zany and yet down to earth, and more than a little sarcastic.
Kaleena Loehr
Mar 16, 2017 Kaleena Loehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contained three unfinished works by Austen. The first being Lesley Castle. I really enjoyed the tale that Austen was weaving and found it to be quite comical. I'm even more impressed by the fact that she wrote this at the age of 16. The characters were become quite well developed and it was amusing seeing them all mingled together. I really wish she had finished it, I would have liked to see where she was going with this story. The second section "A history of England" I didn't get muc ...more
Bridget
Jun 24, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
This is actually three titles: Lesley Castle The History of England, and,Catherine, or the Bower. They were written by Jane Austen when she was a young girl of sixteen. And I would suggest that you get a copy of this if you like Jane Austen at all.

The first is a novella, Lesley Castle, which is a series of letters, primarily between Miss Margaret Lesley and Miss Charlotte Lutterell. They are friends who do not get to see each other very often, and are comparing notes on what goes on in each of t
Karen
Aug 03, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Austin wrote Lesley Castle when she was just 16 but she never finished it. I think she wrote herself into a corner and didn't yet have enough experience to write herself out of it. Or maybe she just lost interest. Regardless, it is a fine book. The characters are drawn a little broadly. They are over the top with superficialness and they are hilarious. Lesley Castle is a series of letters discussing concerns of divorce, adultery, remarriage and elopement.
The book opens with the sudden death
Natalie
Jul 11, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These two short novellas Lesley Castle and Catherine (or the bower) were humorous and enjoyable to pick up and read. At first it was confusing to read an epistolary style between several correspondents and keep track of everyone, but once I did I liked how Austen made astute observations and played the characters' words against each other to show the humor in human relationships and social norms/politeness that sometimes borders on the absurd. I also enjoyed the forward in this edition because i ...more
Eileen
Sep 07, 2007 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britlit
This is probably the most developed of the Jane Austen juvenilia, and so clearly worth reading. It's still a little long-winded in comparison with later, developed work, but no surprises there. I am also very glad she ultimately got away from epistolary form. I mean, it's not like we're reading Evelina here (guh!) but letters are just not as interesting as present action.

3 parts: Lesley Castle, the History of England, and Catharine, or The Bower. I read them in order 3, 1, 2. The History of Eng
Ebster Davis
Its a series of letters documenting the correspondence between several rediculous people, poking fun at how silly and callous people can be.

Some people:

● Care more about "What's going to happen to all the food I made now that the wedding is cancelled?" than the fact that their sister's fiance (the bridegroom) got in a terrible accident and is brain dead.

● Marry when they should have just stayed friends.

● Obsess over guys who are not into them in the slightest.

The beginning says it's an "incom
Irene
Aug 27, 2012 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-related
Reading something wrote by Jane Austen is always an entertaining experience. Moreover, this time, I've been surprised by "Lesley Castle".

Even if it is an unfinished novel and it's an epistolary story, it's more mature and then other early writings. For instance, "Sir Charles Grandison" is quite pointless if you don't know the author, her story and her background.

On the contrary, "Lesley Castle" is funny and easy to read, it's full of double-face female characters and some of their letters are qu
Ana Rînceanu
Lesley Castle is a step by step guide on how young ladies of the 18th Century ought to flatter and throw shade. The History of England makes it clear young Austen was a fan of Mary, Queen of Scotts, Joan of Arc and Anne Boleyn and was perfectly at ease with describing herself to be “a partial, prejudiced, and ignorant historian”. Catharine is a great start to a novel and, despite being unfinished, has great interesting characters, Catherine herself being independent and honest, while Edwards app ...more
Hilary
Dec 13, 2010 Hilary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Jane Austen
This is a compilation of two unfinished novels (Lesley Castle and The Bower) and Biographies of the Kings and Queens of England, written by the young Jane Austen. It was interesting to see how witty she made her characters, even when she was an unpolished teenager. The biographies just tickled my funny bone, seeing teenage prejudice and allegiance shining through the historical facts. A fast read, but as the novels were unfinished, I didn't enjoy this as much as her other books.
Faiza Sattar
Apr 07, 2015 Faiza Sattar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A short, engaging read. Quite enjoyed the portrait of the Lesley sisters by Lady Lesley herself.

"Matilda and Margaret Lesley are two great, tall, out of the way, over-grown, girls, just of a proper size to inhabit a Castle almost as large in comparison as themselves. I wish my dear Charlotte that you could but behold these Scotch giants."

The acerbic witticism of this incomplete story has impelled me to read other epistolary writings by Austen.
Caroline Doab
Jul 19, 2016 Caroline Doab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. It was actually 3 little
Books in one. Lesley Castle is written in letter format and was unfortunately an unfinished piece of work. I would love to see what became of the characters. The second book was The history of England. This was quite entertaining to see her satirical opinion on England's old kings and queens. And the Third book Catherine was equally as good. If you like Austen you will love this little book of short stories
Jen
Jul 29, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only unsatisfying thing about this collection of early writings by Jane Austen is that the final story remains unfinished. "The Bower" (or Catharine) was a tale with potential, and some very astute observations about relationships. "Lesley Castle" is a complete work as it stands, however the epistolary nature of the story was much more clearly worked out in the later novel "Lady Susan."
Reylan Garcia
Feb 22, 2014 Reylan Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teen Austen has presented history in a manner more comical than her usual quips. Truly, her youth together with her uninhibited and courageous views allows her to scribble down the best word combos. I could not stop laughing at letter exchanges - lighthearted and naive Facebook private messages of the Regency Era.
Megumi
Mar 08, 2013 Megumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque son sus primeros escritos, la esencia que impregna las obras de Jane Austen ya está presente en ellos. Es sobresaliente su Historia de Inglaterra, salpicada de su ingeniosa ironía, donde repasa el reinado de varios reyes ingleses con su visión particular y, como dice ella, "parcial y prejuiciosa". Ha sido un placer volver a leer algo de una de mis autoras favoritas ^^
Captmashpea
Its part of her juvenilia series but it was not as funny as "Love and Freindship" and it ended really fast - I am going to have to go back and reread the ending to see if I missed something.
(audiobook).
Paula
Apr 08, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me he reido mucho con estos relatos cortos tan ingenuos de la Austen, cómo a las mujeres de las que habla les trae al pairo el amor, sólo quieren cazar a un hombre rico y de posición, tanto les da que sea uno que otro. Pero es que ellos si no son iguales, son peores que ellas XD
Jamie
I don't really like epistolatory novels, and this one is incomplete! There were another couple of short, incomplete works by Austen in this edition as well: a brief, illustrated history of English royalty and a novella. I did enjoy getting a brief glimpse of Austen's early potential, though.
Lupurk
Feb 09, 2011 Lupurk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
Un libricino davvero divertente...come al solito la nostra Jane non delude!

Per altri commenti:
Vendela
Aug 04, 2016 Vendela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Y'all, the things I wrote when I was sixteen were not this funny.
Gerda
Jun 03, 2016 Gerda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesante para ver los inicios de la escritora. No deja de sorprender ese humor tan especial que ya se ve en estos primeros textos. Recomendable para fans.
Eirion
Raccolta di macchiette. Forse pure troppo.
  • The Moorland Cottage
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • A Memoir of Jane Austen and Other Family Recollections
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • Amos Barton
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Northanger Abbey
  • Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders
  • Henry Tilney's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #6)
  • A Walk with Jane Austen: A Journey into Adventure, Love, and Faith
  • The Subsequent Proposal: A Tale of Pride, Prejudice & Persuasion
  • A Truth Universally Acknowledged: 33 Great Writers on Why We Read Jane Austen
  • Emma & Knightley: Perfect Happiness in Highbury
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Legacy of Cain
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry
More about Jane Austen...