Start by marking “May Magic (Calendar Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
May Magic (Calendar Mysteries, #5)

May Magic (Calendar Mysteries #5)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  268 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In the fifth book of the Calendar Mysteries—a new early chapter book mystery series featuring the younger siblings of the A to Z Mysteries detectives—twins Bradley and Brian Pinto are getting ready to celebrate Mother's Day by treating their mom to a show by Hypo, the world's greatest hypnotist. Brian hopes that if Hypo can hypnotize his mom into loving ducks, then she wil ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about May Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May Magic

Kristel
Readers familiar with the A to Z Mysteries will recognize the main characters in this book as the younger brothers of “Detective” Josh. This transitional chapter book series featuring twins who look alike but boast very different personalities and this story is no different. Brian concocts a get-rich scheme about raising ducks and decides to have his mother hypnotized into allowing him to proceed with his harebrained plan. Bradley grudgingly comes along. The hypnotist is really powerful—maybe to ...more
Dolly
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is another fun mystery in the Calendar Mysteries series by Ron Roy. We tore through the A to Z Mysteries by the same author and now we are patiently waiting for each month in this series to get published. This new series is for younger children, so it's perfect for our girls right now, but they might grow out of the stories before the series is completed. No matter. We've had fun with them and the characters and setting are familiar to us by now.

This story was fun (and quite predictable.)
Marlee
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
My children (ages 10 and 7) both enjoyed this book. However, I found it a bit dull. Most of the mysteries so far have just been tricks being played on the children by other characters. Even my children are starting to want more from this series. However, the books are quick and easy to read and the characters are likeable, especially if you've read the A-Z Mysteries and know the older siblings.
Teri
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
May Magic by Ron Roy is a great series for beginning chapter book readers. The Mom gets turned in to a duck and then starts acting like a duck, but why? Personally I'm not a fan of series, but I do know many kids/students really get in to them -- and anything to get kids to reading is a good thing. Mysteries require students to infer which is a required reading strategy for successful readers (and part of state standards).
Cami
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm giving this three stars from the kids' point of view.
My kids enjoyed listening to this and my 6 year old was really worried about the mom in the book. Way to make it real, Ron Roy!

I, however, find these a bit tedious. They are formulaic (of COURSE, they are. They are mysteries for kids). Too much so for this adult. Also, I don't know if elaborately-planned gags played on the young and impressionable are a good way to parent, but these books definitely keeps my kids interested.
George
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it was about once it was mother's day, and Bradley and Brian were supposed to clean their room and they got a mail saying a magician was coming to green lawn. also, when the magician came a person named Chad went on stage because he wanted to be hypnotized because he keeps on biting his fingernails.

happy summer reading!!!!!!!!!!!
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
the hypnotist hypnotizes josh's mother into a duck. they find the hypnotist and he brings back to normal.
Caleb
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it. It's really a big joke and Bradley's and Brian's mom is pretending to be a duck cause she's been acting like a duck lately. This person hypnotized her as a joke.
Kaytee
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
it was good they were going to a magic show so they hypnotize te twins mom they said tere mom was acting weard. then they figurd out that they were tricked
Gina
Jonas
Jun 26, 2017
Michelle
Jul 10, 2015
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)
  • The Pinstripe Ghost (Ballpark Mysteries #2)
  • Invisible Inkling
  • Battle of the Best Friends
  • Knights of the Ruby Wand (The Secrets of Droon, #36)
  • Da Wild, Da Crazy, Da Vinci (Time Warp Trio #14)
  • Callie (Kitty Corner, #1)
  • Doodle Dandies: Poems That Take Shape
  • Ick! Yuck! Eew!: Our Gross American History
  • The Case of the Fire Alarm
  • George Washington and the General's Dog
  • The Journey Home (The Unicorn's Secret, #8)
  • Fancy Nancy: My Family History
  • Lumber Camp Library
  • Fearless
  • While You Were Sleeping
  • Circus Pony (Pony Pals, #11)
Full name: Wallace Ronald Roy
Most known for the children's mystery series "A-Z Mysteries" and "Calendar Mysteries"
More about Ron Roy...

Calendar Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • January Joker (Calendar Mysteries, #1)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • March Mischief (Calendar Mysteries Series #3)
  • April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4)
  • June Jam (Calendar Mysteries, #6)
  • July Jitters (Calendar Mysteries, #7)
  • August Acrobat (Calendar Mysteries, #8)
  • September Sneakers (Calendar Mysteries, #9)
  • October Ogre (Calendar Mysteries #10)
  • November Night (Calender Mysteies #11)