Start by marking “The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward” as Want to Read:

The Wonder Weeks. How to stimulate your baby's mental development and help him turn his 10 predictable, great, fussy phases into magical leaps forward describes in easy-to-understand terms the incredible developmental changes that all babies go through during the first 20 months of their lives. This is the extended, "fat" edition with 2 more chapters covering 2 more leaps ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Kiddy World Promotions (first published 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward

Devon
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Highly recommended.

The bad:
* Overuse of quotes that provide no real substance or purpose
* Super repetitive - the book could have just said "and now your baby will be fussy" instead of going on for page after page about how "the baby is overwhelmed" and "the baby is scared" and "the baby's world is changing" etc etc etc, each time trying to phrase it in a new way as if there's an actual difference.

But, the good:
* It identifies the changes your baby's brain is going through. It's helpful to know w
Demi
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-care
There are so many Baby Books out there about parenting styles, baby's sleep, what So-and-So thinks about your baby that in the end, it's tempting to avoid baby books altogether!! What's refreshing different about The Wonder Weeks is that it doesn't tell you HOW to raise your baby. It simply provides a little guide as to why your baby is changing and gently reminds you that "It's all going to be okay".

I loved reading about the developmental changings and it was such a rewarding experience to see
Mia Judkins
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps us sane when the baby is not.
Anne
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book for two reasons:
1. It helped me to see the difficult times as positive moments of growth.
2. I liked the list of possible skills for each age and the short lists of games or toys.

This book is not exhaustive in its description of baby development and the parent quotes weren't always interesting. I never planned to use only one book or only one friend or only one resource for child care advice. This book could not be your sole reference, but I did gain something valuable from it
Andrea
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ugh. I'm about halfway through the book, and it's clear that I'm not going to be able to finish this one.

It does have some useful information on babies' development. And some ideas of age-appropriate activities (though most will be pretty familiar to anyone who has been around babies).

But these "predictable phases" seem over-exaggerated. My first child was the fussy one, and she never seemed to have the highs and lows that I would have predicted from this book. My second is more laid back, and
Traci
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I was expecting to enjoy this book thoroughly. When my child was 5 weeks old and constantly crying and wanting to nurse, I frantically Dr. Googled what the heck was different about that day from all the days before. I found the Wonder Weeks site and lo and behold, "discovered" that my kid was preparing for a mental leap. Sure enough, a few days later he was back to his normal self and in addition, he was doing some new things that he hadn't done before.

When the book was ordered for the library,
Courtney Hatch
I'm grateful for this book--if nothing else, it assured me that those random flows of fussiness aren't because I'm a bad parent or because my baby is actually the mayor of Crazytown. She is being fussy because she's actually doing something amazing. She learns more in a day than I do in a year, I swear. Must be exhausting. 3 stars because it is very repetitive and could use some solid editing.
A.
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book missed a week: the one where it was supposed to go through an editor. Good Lord. This was redundant, excessive, contradictory -- you name it. As a sleep-deprived parent, this was the last thing my brain needed.
Sarah Wolfe
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure how any parent survives the first 20 months of their child's life without this knowledge, but man am I glad it's available!
Adrianna
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The information provided here is useful, however the whole book is kind of a waste of time and money, unless you are reading it ahead of time during your pregnancy. I started it with my 9 week old and realized two things:

1) This isn't new information. Everything in this book was something I already read via many (free) parenting apps.

2) It is the same information week after week. It's wonderful information - it allows you some comfort that what your child is experiencing is normal, expected, an
Andrea
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Unlike many of my friends, I don't find the Wonder Weeks particularly helpful. I have the app, and I thought maybe I'd be a convert if I read the book. Spoiler alert: the book is all filler. I think most of the text is culled from a Wonder Weeks message board or something. I wish there was more info about cognitive development and less enumeration of various ways that babies can act fussy.
Trygve Kalland
Feb 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A few chapters into this, I found out that the supposedly empirical research this book is based on is not taken seriously by the academic community, isn’t reproducible, and the author was fired from university because of his unwillingness to accept scientific criticism. So, I’m not finishing this book. There is enough unfounded parenting advice out there.
Amanda Harman
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby
Very VERY very repetitive. I found it helpful in the beginning, but once past the first few leaps it felt like the chapters were the same thing over and over and over. The app is much more concise, and while still repetitive it is significantly less so.
Abby
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
VERY repetitive. Don't buy the book; just look up the "fussy phases" online to get some insight into your baby's development.
Lucas
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After over a year reading it, I have now a better understanding of all the leaps and developments the babies go through. Important milestones and developmental changes, the book really helps with ideas and what to observe during those leaps.

Unfortunately one of the most useful chapters (Sleep) is at the end, and I should have started with that! Plentiful of valuable information in there, that could have settled my expectations before learning it the hard way. My advice (if you acre a new parent)
Audra Cohen Murzycki
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic and very helpful. The authors took the results of a giant study that indicated a correlation between certain weeks of a baby's life and difficult behaviors (excessive crying etc...) Each section describes what behaviors to expect, theories behind why they may take place (suddenly being able to see for example), and suggestions for activities parents can do to sooth, entertain, and challenge baby. I marked the week before each wonder week on my calendar and read each secti ...more
Kathleen Bonner
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Good information, however, I often struggled with the parts of the books that listed what your baby should be doing at certain points/ages. I would get pretty upset and worried if my son wasn’t doing those things yet, and thinking he was developing slower than he should. Unnecessary worry... as a new mom I worry about everything and sometimes this book gave me more things to worry about.
Scott
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with the growth of my daughter to help her flourish and develop as much as possible, using The Wonder Weeks as a guide through her moments.
It often seemed repetitive with each leap being similar in stages, but it was interesting to help chart her growth and development. There were some helpful tips to encourage her development.
Recommended reading for new parents.
Violet
Aside from the fact that the research this book is based on has largely been debunked, there were definitely some good observations and suggestions in amongst the dross.

The "predictable leaps" aren't really worth paying attention to, and much of the book is nothing but quotes from mothers (and nothing but mothers) about their children's development, but the general timeline and the suggestions for games and toys were useful.
Cara Byrne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A useful guide to understanding my newborn's changing temperament and development without making me feel parental guilt that other guides sometimes impart.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty repetitive but still an interesting read. It makes me excited to see the continued growth of my baby.
Ariel
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get the App!
Katherine
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Now that I'm a parent, she said rather pompously, I should probably try to finish fewer books. As in, stop pushing myself to slog through books I find boring just to be completist and be ok with the sunk cost and possibility that a book may redeem itself near the end. When has that ever actually happened?? If I don't like the beginning and almost middle, it's unlikely I will get much out of the rest of it, probably.

Anyway, here's a good start--I stopped a little over a third of the way through.
Heather
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really an incredible book. I think it has done more to help me as a mother than any other parenting book I've read...besides the scriptures. The whole premise of the book is that babies go through mental or cognitive growths spurts just like they go through physical growth spurts. Usually a few weeks before a baby makes a physical "leap" forward they also make a mental "leap" forward which is characterized by a fussy, clingy and sleepless baby. This is a time when a baby's whole world is ...more
jacky
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-parenting, 2010
My parents picked this up somewhere and passed it on to me. The bulk of the book focuses on the individual "wonder weeks" during which babies make leaps. Actually, there is a little calendar that shows when the baby is likely to be fussy due to these leaps and that made me a little uneasy because it seemed like there were more stormy periods than sunny. At first, I wasn't blown away by this book. But, as I've read along through the wonder weeks as Natalie approaches them, I've found it very fasc ...more
Steph
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I’m still not sure I believe in Wonder Weeks. Someone called it “baby horoscope” because it isn’t real but seems real because of confirmation bias: the descriptions are vague enough for any parent of a screaming baby to think “oh it must be a leap” as a way to find a reason for the screaming. I think that description is probably true.

I also find the style of this book annoyingly repetitive with an excessive number of cutesy quotes that just repeat what had already been said. Some of them also s
Katherine
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
There's some good insights about cognitive development here, and it helps in the early months to put fussiness in the context of a "leap" from mental growth. But our baby never mapped to the timeline they described, the book is badly structured (they jump to info for different weeks within the same chapter), and there's really annoying assumptions about gender roles, both for babies and their parents: "The key in the front door means 'daddy’s home.'" Really?

And one more beef: They switch back a
Emilia P
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-books
This book made me want to poke my eyes out, just skimming it. The basic premise that mental leaps will lead to fussiness was kind of fascinating, but the presentation of how those changes happened and what to do about them was bloated. Basic summary: babies are gonna get fussy when they're figuring things out. Help them figure things out and give them lots of hugs and they'll get over it and then they'll be smarter. And then they'll probably be fussy about something else, like their teeth or som ...more
Colleen
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Wonder Weeks has been a helpful tool in navigating the many different phases of my daughter's first year of life. The idea that children go through a series of relatively consistent steps throughout the first months of development helped to identify different phases and learn how to help my daughter learn new skills. It also helped me to understand that she wasn't just crabby or clingy for no reason. I found that my daughter did not experience every symptom described during each leap, but ap ...more
Renee
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hate this book. Most importantly, apparently none of their findings have been able to be replicated. Yet every parent swears by these wonder 'weeks' (that are actually endless). It's not a phase if all fussy behaviour in or out and sorta kinda maybe around an incredibly nebulous time frame can be ascribed this developmental leap. It's all too easy to pretend like your baby might not have other needs that should be met (such as being overtired, under or over stimulated etc) when you can blame i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • The No-Cry Nap Solution: Guaranteed Gentle Ways to Solve All Your Naptime Problems
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Your Baby Is Speaking to You: A Visual Guide to the Amazing Behaviors of Your Newborn and Growing Baby
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help Your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
  • Parent Hacks: 134 Genius Shortcuts for Life with Kids
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
“Let him cry, it’s good for his lungs” is not the solution mothers wish to hear. Disregarding the problem does not make it go away.” 0 likes
“Secure the safety gates by the stairs on the second or third step, and allow him to practice going up and down stairs. Place a mattress at the bottom of the stairs, so that he can not hurt himself.” 0 likes