Start by marking “Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro” as Want to Read:
Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro

Baltimore: Il tenace soldatino di stagno e il vampiro (Baltimore 0)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  2,200 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Prima guerra mondiale, fronte delle Ardenne. Il capitano Henry Baltimore, unico superstite dì una battaglia infernale, gravemente ferito, risveglia l'ira di un essere mostruoso, un vampiro. E il mondo cambia per sempre: una pestilenza che neppure la morte è in grado di fermare si diffonde in tutta Europa e solo Baltimore, controfigura tragica del tenace soldatino con una g ...more
Paperback, Piccola Biblioteca Oscar #644, 293 pages
Published 2009 by Mondadori (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Baltimore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baltimore

Rory
Sep 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hellboy fans, mignola fans, gothic literature fans
I picked this up when I received an email from Barnes & Noble recommending that I pre-order it since I had purchased Hellboy books in the past. At first I had thought it a novel for which Mignola was providing illustrations, but returning to the email repeatedly in the following weeks, I found it featured 150 illustrations by Mignola, and promptly ordered it. Only when it arrived did I discover that it is in fact co-written by Golden and Mignola, with 150 illustrations of varying sizes (from ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire uses the story within a story narrative very successfully. Three of Lord Baltimore's close acquaintances, Doctor Rose, Demetrius Aischros, and Childress all meet at a pub, awaiting Baltimore. They each tell their story about how they came to meet Baltimore and when they became aware of the unnatural evil that exists in the world around them. Interspersed is the narrative about how Henry, Lord Baltimore, came to be the formidable vampire hu ...more
Eric
"Good lord," said Doctor Rose, the sardonic mask slipping a moment. "I'd no idea his family had met such an awful end. But what of the monk? Did you ever discover what became of him?"

Aischros nodded, not looking at them. "He died just as he had foreseen."

The mariner's eyes were unfocused. He felt as if he were looking through them, beyond the walls of the inn. The recollection of his time on Trevelyan Island lingered with him, and he knew that, having told the tale, it would be some time before
Stephen Collins
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought H/B copy of this great book when came out but unlucky I lost it.
R.
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
When I saw this today, I...well, I licked my chops.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on the ManBearPig legend, doctor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on Sesame Street, sailor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on whatever the fuck that was, soldier.

Hmmmm. Has it really been twelve years since From Dusk 'til Dawn was at a theater near you? Because it's still fresh in my mind and, ah, fresh in the mind of the authors: people held captive - fighting for their lives - in the lair of the vampires until, suddenly, th
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

This gorgeous illustrated novel is one of the scarier things I have read. A framed collection of short stories, the tale is told by three strangers around the table of an inn. BALTIMORE is about war, plague, human weakness and vampires.

These vampires are original and disgusting. The translation that the horrors of the Great War awoke literal monsters is very effective. Both authors are veteran fantasy and horror writers. They create a slew of amazing mo
The Flooze
Vampires. Forgotten gods. Cannons shook them in their resting places. Spilled blood awakened them. The ravages and chaos of war brought them forth.

But they were sleepwalking creatures, content to exist as scavengers feeding on the flesh and blood of the dead and the dying.

Until Baltimore.

Humanity itself is to blame for the ills that come to call, but Baltimore alone gave the malevolent force its purpose and drive.

And so for Lord Baltimore the true battle begins.
________

As much as this is Balt
Pinkerton
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-gotici
Lord Baltimore è qui un protagonista che se ne sta sullo sfondo, un eroe decadente e una figura particolarmente caxxuta come cacciatore di vampiri. Veri pilastri portanti della storia contenuta in questo libro sono tre suoi amici: Thomas Childress, il dottor Rose e il marinaio Aischros, in grado di credere ai resoconti riportati sul diario del protagonista in quanto venuti a loro volta in diretto contatto con il male. Vicende di cui veniamo resi partecipi in un’atmosfera spettrale, una locanda l ...more
Travis
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This was a very beautifully crafted book. I found out about this book through Wizard magazine and with Mike Mignola, from Hell Boy, writing with Christopher Golden I was intrigued to read this novel.

Baltimore blends the gritty reality, of what I presumed, is World War I horror with fantasy elements of a world beyond our world masterfully. You completely feel that the evils the characters talk about in this tale could of happened in this dark era of our history. Taking inspiration and themes from
Michael
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to be able to sit in a book-lined study sipping brandy, or in an out of the way tavern with a group of grizzled old men swapping stories of the supernatural that occurred earlier in our lives. I may be well on my way towards being old and grizzled, but the only scary stories I have involve high school and the single evening I spent bussing tables at a Ponderosa in Ellisville, MO. For now, I'll just have to be content reading books like Baltimore.

The highlight for me was the s
Todd
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fun and unique story of vampire infection. Told from the point of 3 friends meeting up with a fourth friend who has drawn them together in an evil dark town for purpose unknown.
I've always liked Mike Mignola as an artist, and for his original ideas..(hellboy, his takes on batman so forth.)
So it's nice to have his twist on a vampire tale as well.
Christopher Golden, does a good job with the story, the tales are interesting and suspenseful.
Wart Hill
Feb 05, 2015 marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
Dnf. Kinda boring.
Joseph
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ohhh, Baltimore. Man it's hard, just to liv--

Wait. Wrong Baltimore.

I hadn't heard of this illustrated novel until a friend of mine picked up a copy at a thrift shop. I had him let me take a look at it and it was a very beautiful book.

It has some 150 illustrations (give or take) by Mike Mignola, of Hellboy fame. Although, in addition, I believe he also co-wrote the novel with Christopher Golden.

I promptly ordered myself a copy.
I read it in 3 days and enjoyed every page.

Baltimore has some heavy p
Yael
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comic artist Mike Mignola(Hellboy) and novelist Christopher Golden (The Myth Hunters) have created a unique work of gothic storytelling. Baltimore is a lyrical atmospheric novel of the supernatural -- and an appalling allegory of the nature of war. Ares is a bloodthirsty God, a divine vampire Who drinks the blood of nations, and Baltimore's richly illustrated, unsparing portrait of that God makes the case that war is indeed Hell better than all the polemics on that point have ever done.

When Lord
Karly Noelle Noelle
Evil never dies- it just changes form.

Sometimes it's war. Sometimes it's a single, sinful act. And sometimes it's the king of the vampires. No one is immune to the inexorable pull of evil, but everyone is called to fight it. Using multiple framing devices, the story roughly unfolds as the tale of Baltimore, a British lord turned WWI soldier turned last salvation for humanity against the Red King, a hellish vampire lord he met in the field of battle, who is spreading plague and vampire spawn in
Giovanni Faga
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Mike Mignola e' l'autore di Hellboy, e tutti coloro che amano il fumetto dovrebbero leggere almeno le prime tre storie di Hellboy. Punto. Il libro e' stato scritto con Chritopher Golden, che non so chi sia ma non e' che mi sia venuta una voglia irrefrenabile di saperlo. Ora, si potrebbe dire che il libro e' dedicato agli amanti della narrativa horror, perche' e' costruito con seguendo tutti gli stilemi del genere. E' il suo maggior difetto? Probabilemente si.
Lo stratagemma narrativo e' quello d
Mary
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: horror, historical
On a cold autumn night, under a black sky leached of starlight and absent the moon, Captain Henry Baltimore clutches his rifle and stares across the dark abyss of the battlefield, and knows in his heart that these are the torture fields of Hell, and damnation awaits mere steps ahead.

That is the opening paragraph in Baltimore, and if it doesn't make you want to immediately go out and buy the book and read it all in one sitting, then there's probably no hope for you.

There really isn't anything tha
Shah
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like vampires but thanks to a few species of vampires that glitters under the sun, I had to suppress my desires to look for or read good vampire stories.

Baltimore was a relieve. It has vampires, gentlemen relating tales of supernatural encounters, a Bram Stoker like journal write up and a show down between the forces of good and evil. It has cool black and white illustrations which greatly helps in visualizing the characters as well as the story.

I would have given 5 stars for the fact that it
BeParticular
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from beginning to end. It's dark, bleak beauty was a perfect match for the cold, gray, rainy weather we've had here lately. Every scene, every character, is richly drawn. Mignola's illustrations serve to enhance the incredible text. Even though the subject matter is terribly depressing--war, plague, and seemingly endless death and destruction--the book is not. The stalwart and honorable main characters leave you with a sense of hope that good will triumph over evil. I also like ...more
Stephen
This was a great tale of atmospheric horror born on the bloody battlefields of WW1. Great characters, I believed in, having read other books describing the trench warfare of WW1. The plot was well paced with Lord Baltimore guiding his three friends to a meeting that would lead them in a battle with the insidious form of vampires feeding off the remains of soldiers lying wasted on the fields of death. Well written and illustrated. I enjoy illustrated books, which should be brought back today. Hig ...more
Orrin Grey
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, mignola
"Why do dead men rise up to torment the living?"

This is just a placeholder. Hopefully someday I'll come back and do a better review for this. It's a pretty amazing novel, and while it's not perfect, it's an original take on high Gothic-style adventure, and it's also composed of a bunch of interconnected smaller stories, and it showcases Mignola mythbuilding as only he can. It's great stuff, and I love it, and loved it maybe more this time through than the others (this makes three).
Trevor
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been giddy (yes, GIDDY) about getting my hands on Baltimore. I have to say, I'm still basking in the afterglow of spending the weekend with this book and all it's rich, subtly dark glory. Mike Mignola (Hellboy, B.P.R.D.) and Christopher Golden (Body of Evidence/Jenna Blake CSI-type thrillers) have collaborated on one of the most finely crafted vampire tales I've read in years. The pair have opted to present a tale that is a refined, pickled-in-folklore yarn detailing ancient, sinister abhor ...more
Eric
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without giving too much away, this book has a pattern to the narrative. I'm a sucker for complex narratives with patterns. So right away, that's a plus. But when you add the actual content, and the storytelling, I have to say it's awesome. The action scenes got a little overdrawn, but they weren't clumsy like a lot of action scenes I've read in lesser books. Mignola's art really adds to the feel of the story.

Even if you think vampires are overrated, like I do, this book is really about folktales
Antonio
Mike Mignola tiene mucho que ver en esta historia, pero no tanto como propio Christopher Golden, un autor que es capaz de imitar el estilo recargado de las novelas del romántico más oscuro. Los dibujos de Mignola acompañan perfectamente esta historia de odio y venganza, a veces demasiado recargada y en otras ocasiones, demasiado fácil.
Blake Kandzer
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Mignola fan since he was drawing Alpha Flight in the late 80's. Since then I've read almost everything he's wrote or illustrated for Hellboy. Baltimore was an amazing book about Vampires that I think any fan of the genre would appreciate.
Jonathan
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful Gothic Horror novel. Mignola's illustrations add a certain creepiness to an already creepy novel.

My copy has a different cover and may have added content, like a collection of Mignola sketches and the original Steadfast Tin Solder tale.

Well worth seeking out.
Kookie
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, great story. My only gripe would be that I wish the illustrations had been more in the style of the Eerie or Creepy horror comic books. It would have been very appropriate here. Otherwise highly recommended.
Blake
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Vampire stories, well written, almost like reading a play you're watching at the same time.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during A Fall of Poppies (September 2016)

Captain Henry Baltimore led a night attack in the Ardennes that would forever change the world. As his entire battalion is cut down he survives the initial onslaught but is left to die with a leg wound. Out of the night sky comes large bat-like creatures, carrion eaters to feast on the dead. But there's something not right about them. One sees Baltimore and decides that he will be his feast
Keith
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply atmospheric and creepy without wasting time chewing scenery. The story is disjointedly told through the recollections of a small handful of narrators each holding one small piece of the greater narrative in their own strange recollections. The world wherein our stories take place is well fleshed out and vividly described despite the fact that there is very little left of it after the events each smaller story eludes to.

Overall I liked this book but I was never truly enthralled. At no poi
  • Witch Doctor, Vol. 1: Under the Knife
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Baltimore (9 books)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells (Baltimore, #2)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 3: A Passing Stranger and Other Stories (Baltimore, #3)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 4: Chapel of Bones (Baltimore, #4)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju (Baltimore, #5)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 6: The Cult of the Red King (Baltimore, #6)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 7: Empty Graves (Baltimore, #7)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 8: The Red Kingdom (Baltimore, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)